FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUncomfortable Concert Moments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 08:26
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Saw Robert Fripp at UC San Diego in 1983 (when I was an undergrad); just him doing 2+ hours of Frippertronics (really amazing stuff at the time, I thought). He would play for several minutes at a clip and then wax poetically as only he can in between musical offerings. About 1 hour in, one of his narrative interludes was about an emotional break-up he recently had with a girlfriend; it really broke him up and he began to cry. I was only in my early 20's then (less mature and understanding than I am now), but it was a bit uncomfortable for me to see this "guitar god" show an entirely human side of himself to everyone. He was able to regain his composure and continue the awesome show for more than an hour more...
Don't know how I missed or never heard of that event, being in S.D. at the time. I did attend His Tower Records appearance in '79 on El Cajon Blvd. at College Blvd. After demonstrating His Frippertronics, He did autographs, and a guy held up his infant daughter and told Him that her name was Crimson. He readily was humbled and seemed to blush as both He and father and child got a raucous round of applause by all in attendance.

Edited by Rednight - February 13 2017 at 08:27
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 05:44
I was at a Jethro Tull concert that was sold out and the scalpers were sold out so the angry mob took a park bench and used it as a battering ram to break the glass at street level there must have been over 200 people who managed to get in before the cops got the situation under control.  Would expect this at an Exploited concert. 
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 08:35
Lou Reed, beginning of the 80's in Düsseldorf/ Germany. The place was crammed and the moment the concert started the first ten rows stood up on their chairs and you couldn't see anymore behind these ten rows. The people started yelling at the people to sit down, while the band was coming on stage and Lou was a bit disconcerted by the yelling, not knowing exactly what was going on. So the band started to play and the first ten rows kept standing up ignoring the yelling. So some people started throwing beercans at the first ten rowers (yes those were the glorious days where you could smoke inside the concert halls and take assorted forms of beverage with you and use them to express your miscontent) So one of the beercans went way over the first ten rows and hit Lou Reed. He stopped singing, insulted the audience and left the stage with the band after three songs. This must have led to a near heart attack of the promoter while the audience started to yell even louder now. After ten minutes Lou came back and did about 40 minutes more while staring in an highly unfriendly manner towards the audience.

Another one, even so it’s actually a fascinating memory now. Summer of 1978 Open air festival at the Lorelei /Germany The headliner should have been Jefferson Wheelchair. It’s actually one of the nicest locations I know. It’s high up on a cliff on top of the Rhine valley with a beautiful view. It’s build like an antique Greek amphitheater with the stage on the bottom and steep stone rows. When we arrived in the beginning of the afternoon it was raining and there were a lot of GI’s in the audience and the general atmosphere was good.
The first acts were Brand-X and Leo Kottke who got both only mild attentions. The Atlanta Rhythm section was on the bill too but didn't play. While the stage was changed for the headliners some discussion was going on on stage. After some time the promoter came on stage and said that Grace Slick was ill and that the band couldn’t play without her. (Afterwards I learned that it was actually only Paul Kantner who refused to go on stage without Grace the others were well aware that it would be a mess to cancel the show, and they actually did the Knebworth show a week later without Grace)
So, the promoter left the stage, some music played on the sound system and then after a couple of minutes everybody realized that the concert was over. So most people started yelling and whistling, but shortly after there was a rain of beer cans, wine bottles coming down on the poor roadies trying to get the equipment off the stage. Seen that the theatre is quite steep you could easily throw from the last row something on stage. Next thing some people climb the stage and start throwing amps and assorted material down the pit and then somebody lit fire and parts of the stage started to burn. A couple of minutes later the fire brigade arrived and again a rain of beer cans went down on the poor fireman who retreated rapidly. It was really a strange beautiful atmosphere like a Wagner opera setting. We camped on site and the next morning the stage and the surroundings looked like a battle field with some parts still smoldering. Dawn of the gods.

And one more. I was still in highschool, second half of the 70’s and the venue in my hometown sponsored by Phillips always used the same ticket layout with different colours. So after each show we collected ticket stumps that were not too damaged and when a show came up with the same colour we always had one ticket that looked ok and in the rush they never looked exactly at the tickets. So we always tried to bring one of us in this way and once in he opened from inside one fire exit door and when it got open we had a couple of seconds to jump over a fence and rush in before the security guys came running. The only thing you had to bring a newspaper, roll it and put it onto the fence to protect your hands. So for an Eric Clapton show I forgot the newspaper the exit door got open and I lifted myself with my whole weight on the fence and one of the fence bars got into my hand down to the bone. I somehow managed to get over the fence, into the hall with a round bleeding hole in my hand. So I went to the infirmary and the nurse looked at my hand and said : How the f… did you do that? So I said : I fell into a bottle, perfect round hole and everything. She gave me a tetanos shot, made a bandage, but I got no painkiller and I sat through the whole show with a horrible pain in my hand.
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 12:36
Tips for drunk cretins attending Donington Monsters of Rock 1987:

1. If you can't be bothered to find toilet facilities it is acceptable to piss in an empty plastic beer bottle.

2. It is not however necessary to hurl said bottle at the stage just because you don't like Dio.

3. If you are 100m from the stage your bottle will not reach Ronnie James Dio and may instead hit a random audience member who has done you no harm.

4. If you still insist on doing this, please screw the top on the bottle before you throw it, so that said innocent audience member, i.e. ME, does not get soaked with piss as well as bruised.

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by Mascodagama - February 14 2017 at 12:40
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:09
LOL
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 13:33
I have to admit to being one of those bottle throwers at Reading in 82 & 83, though they were empty.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 14:24
^ Empty bottles is fair enough. I never minded taking one of those on the noggin.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 14:28
When Murray head opened up for Judas Priest in Buffalo NY back in the late seventies. Can't remember the year. He never made it on stage. What was the promoter thinking?
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 14:39
I wonder if anyone here was at the legendary Gentle Giant-Black Sabbath show. That must have been one hell of an "uncomfortable moment" LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 15:11
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I have to admit to being one of those bottle throwers at Reading in 82 & 83, though they were empty.

Whoa! You saw Twelfth Night with Geoff Mann! Thumbs Up
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 07:26
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Saw Robert Fripp at UC San Diego in 1983 (when I was an undergrad); just him doing 2+ hours of Frippertronics (really amazing stuff at the time, I thought). He would play for several minutes at a clip and then wax poetically as only he can in between musical offerings. About 1 hour in, one of his narrative interludes was about an emotional break-up he recently had with a girlfriend; it really broke him up and he began to cry. I was only in my early 20's then (less mature and understanding than I am now), but it was a bit uncomfortable for me to see this "guitar god" show an entirely human side of himself to everyone. He was able to regain his composure and continue the awesome show for more than an hour more...
Don't know how I missed or never heard of that event, being in S.D. at the time. I did attend His Tower Records appearance in '79 on El Cajon Blvd. at College Blvd. After demonstrating His Frippertronics, He did autographs, and a guy held up his infant daughter and told Him that her name was Crimson. He readily was humbled and seemed to blush as both He and father and child got a raucous round of applause by all in attendance.

It was well-publicized at UCSD, and I thought it was open to the general public as well. But, maybe it was for UCSD students only (not sure). There were over 300 of us crammed into a smaller concert recital hall, either at Revelle or Muir College(?). It was nearly 35 years ago, and such details of the night escape my memory. Fripp's prowess on his Les Paul and the Frippertronics machine, however, do not...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 08:28
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Whoa! You saw Twelfth Night with Geoff Mann! Thumbs Up

I'll take your word for it, I was very much a metalhead back in those days, I was primarily there for Black Sabbath & Thin Lizzy though I also really enjoyed Magnum, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Anvil, The Enid & Ten Years After. I really don't remember anything about Twelfth Night, Pallas or Pendragon and was distinctly unimpressed with Marillion. Steel Pulse got bottled off stage half way through their second track, "Hey Man, if you don't stop throwing bottles we're leaving" cue deluge.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - February 15 2017 at 08:30
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 13:24
Rush's R40 tour - no fault of the band, though. I've been seeing Rush since Snakes and Arrows, and their concerts have always been a standing affair, regardless of where the seats are.

So I go to R40 with some friends, and we're pumped. They start the concert, and I think most of the people stood up to watch, cheer and have fun. If you're familiar with that tour, they started off with the latest album and worked their way backward until the first album. Understandably, that means that the more familiar material wasn't until later on; so I wasn't too surprised that people were sitting down, maybe getting a bit bored.

My friends and I, however, are big Rush fans, so we were excited to hear new material, so we stayed standing and had fun. Oldy McFart sitting a few rows behind us wasn't too pleased that his calm night of classical music was being interrupted by these standing young fellows who thought that Rush was a rock band or something. After a few ignored requests of "sit down", Oldy decided it was appropriate to throw a beer at us. I think we eventually sat down, defeated at the end of the first set, but my crew decided that we would not be swayed for the second set, and stood until the end of the show. And we had a great time too.

Like, I totally understand that everyone enjoys music in different ways; for me personally, it has to be just the right music and I have to go with the right people for me to be comfortable enough to get into the music. Sometimes I just want to sit and listen too. But I don't think I should tell people to stop having a lot of enjoyment so I can have a little enjoyment.

Now, this being a Prog forum, I'm sure there are disagreements about whether people should be standing, cheering, etc. at prog concerts, or if they should be sitting and listening, maybe depending on the band, the venue, where you're sitting, etc. In my mind, seeing Rush is a standing experience - they're loud, they've got lots of energy, there's a huge audience, they've got a lot of hits to sing along to, and no disrespect intended, but their music isn't as subtle as some other bands. There's a big audience participation aspect to it; you've just got to shout "HEY!" in 2112 Overture with the appropriate fist pump, and raise your hands to clap along to the chorus of The Spirit of Radio.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 13:53
When I saw the R40 tour, it was in a semi-outdoor venue.

My seat was not under the roof.

About a half hour into the show, there was a massive downpour with thunder and lightning.

It actually wasn't that uncomfortable.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 14:01
That was just part of the show. Rush pulled out all the stops to make Jacob's Ladder as realistic as possible.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 14:07
LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 14:43
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

My friends and I, however, are big Rush fans, so we were excited to hear new material, so we stayed standing and had fun. Oldy McFart sitting a few rows behind us wasn't too pleased that his calm night of classical music was being interrupted by these standing young fellows who thought that Rush was a rock band or something. After a few ignored requests of "sit down", Oldy decided it was appropriate to throw a beer at us. I think we eventually sat down, defeated at the end of the first set, but my crew decided that we would not be swayed for the second set, and stood until the end of the show. And we had a great time too.

It's good that you stood for the second half. That guy took a real risk throwing a beer at younger concert-goers, though. I would've flung it right back at him. Usually Rush fans are more considerate. Stern Smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 14:37
I was at King Crimson's "Larks Tongues in Aspic" show at the Kinetic Playground, Chicago IL on 20 April, 1973.

The opening act (Peter Frampton) was unremarkable, but when KC began to play, the crowd (who seemed very drunk and high on drugs) starting yelling back in forth.  The group closest to the stage wouldn't sit down (the place was a dump, no chairs) and the group in the back was yelling "SIT DOWN" and throwing empty liquor bottles at those in front. 

The tension was high, and Fripp was glaring out at the crowd from his stool, clearly upset that the crowd was not intently listening to the music.  I wrote to Bob years later to recount this and compare it to the Chicago show in 2014, which was reverential and quiet in comparison.  His brief reply was "Bless you, Chuck!"

Despite all of this, it was a successful show!        
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 18:48
^Ah, the joys of the festival seating back in the day.  Surprised I was not crushed to death in some of the concerts then, actually remember one show (don't remember who, when, or where...typical then) that the whole floor (no seats) of people was shoulder to shoulder just swaying and pushing forward, thought I was going to pass out it was so hot.  You could not move, you just had to stand your ground if you could....damn, having a flashback now Wacko
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 19:04
I wasn't going to post this because it's rather personal and it's not something I'm proud of but here it goes. 

I went to see Jethro Tull back around 2008 or so. The opening act was Peter Frampton. During Frampton's set the women behind me were talking and would just not shut up. I didn't ask them to be quiet because based on past experiences that never works. I should have at least tried though. Anyway, at some point I told the security woman and she said she came over and told them to be quiet. This made things worse in a way. The younger woman who was apparently the daughter of the woman sitting next to her said something like "oh, can I clap?" I just put my finger up to my mouth as in "shhhh" and she then gave me the middle finger. I went up to her and said "you wish." Apparently her mom thought I said "you bitch" and grabbed me by the back collar of my t shirt. A slap boxing match ensued involving me and about three or four different women. After about maybe 45 seconds the same female security guard came over because she thought I threw a punch(I did not though I was just blocking their slaps). I know better than to do something like that in public. I wound up being detained. Later on they came over to where the security guy was "holding" me and continued to insult me and call me a coward for not telling them to be quiet(as if that would work). The mother insisted I called her daughter a "bitch" which I did not.  What eventually happened was they went back to their seats(I assume)but I was actually "demoted" to a better section. I was in the top level but they put me in the bottom level on the ground. Once down there some big boobed blonde woman was standing for the rest of Frampton's set and so I didn't really enjoy that performance much. After this ordeal I didn't really enjoy JT that much either. After the show I went to my car and just sort of hung around. I struck up a conversation with one of the women who was parked near me that I saw earlier. I wound up hugging her(just hugging her)for about two to three minutes. 

That was probably the weirdest experience I've had at a concert and that's saying something. I've also been hit in the head by a woman's purse and "stabbed" by a feather from a guy's hat. I guess he was trying to be Robin Hood. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>