Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uncomfortable Concert Moments
    Posted: June 13 2017 at 02:12
My mate getting booted in the plums and having his leg scraped to hell from a well-heeled boot of Jon Spencer's missus Cristina Martinez when she leapt into the crowd in a inebriated berserker rage during a BOss Hogg concert and started wildly swinging at anyone within reach was fun...more fun than when she got back on stage, invited her female buddy up there and they proceeded to essentially sing drunken karaoke for the rest of the shambling gig, though!

Still, very memorable gig!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 01:46
The time I went to see Slayer at the Roskilde Festival and almost lost my head to a black metal type of dude with black and white colours adorning his face but moreover wielding a huge dog collar with 30 centimeter spikes.
Uncomfortable yes.
Did I feel alive? That too.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 01:34
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

But indeed who thought of having Gentle Giant open for Sabbath, something like this was bound to happen.

At a guess, Frank Zappa. Two of his favourite British bands on one bill in LA, pretty sweet. Plus, the total mismatch of styles and fans would probably have appealed to his sense of humour.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 13 2017 at 01:35
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 21:24
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Saw this little Gentle Giant account on Wikipedia recently: "At a show at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, we went on stage and the Sabbath fans were shouting 'get off, we want Sabbath' and we were just getting set to play 'Funny Ways'. We pulled out the cellos and violins, and the crowd starting heckling immediately, but we were gradually starting to get past it, when someone threw a cherry bomb on stage. (Phil Shulman) made sure we all stopped playing and said we needed to get off the stage. As we were leaving the stage, Phil grabbed the mic and said to the crowd 'you guys are a bunch of f$cking c%nts!', and the boo that went up after that was enormous! To this day I'll never forget it! We were sort of vindicated later on, as we thought we were never going to play Los Angeles again after the cherry bomb incident, but later on the Octopus tour we were able to sell out consistently there, so something clicked with the fans." - Derek Shulman

“”

That sucks. But indeed who thought of having Gentle Giant open for Sabbath, something like this was bound to happen. Perhaps some other band with some heavier songs that could have been chosen to gather a bit more interest from the audience.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 09:11
Saw this little Gentle Giant account on Wikipedia recently: "At a show at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, we went on stage and the Sabbath fans were shouting 'get off, we want Sabbath' and we were just getting set to play 'Funny Ways'. We pulled out the cellos and violins, and the crowd starting heckling immediately, but we were gradually starting to get past it, when someone threw a cherry bomb on stage. (Phil Shulman) made sure we all stopped playing and said we needed to get off the stage. As we were leaving the stage, Phil grabbed the mic and said to the crowd 'you guys are a bunch of f$cking c%nts!', and the boo that went up after that was enormous! To this day I'll never forget it! We were sort of vindicated later on, as we thought we were never going to play Los Angeles again after the cherry bomb incident, but later on the Octopus tour we were able to sell out consistently there, so something clicked with the fans." - Derek Shulman

“”

Edited by Rednight - June 12 2017 at 09:18
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
petewhit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 21:37
My first Dead show in 91.  There was a mother and child sitting next to me while I was not in my right mind.  I looked across the arena and everyone was rapidly sitting up and down.  Needless to say they left pretty quick.    
Mystic Mamba View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 19:37
Well, most concerts I've been to have been relatively comfortable. However, the first time I saw Dream Theater, John Petrucci had forgotten to turn his guitar on, so when it was time for the riff to come in on Bridges in the Sky (the opener), there were three seconds of awkward silence. Also, when I saw ARW this past fall, I was sitting next to this obnoxious dude taking up way too much space (we were sitting), and I had to awkwardly lean to the left throughout most of the show. Of course, all these things just add to the fun memories of concert-going!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 19:39
I actually don't enjoy concerts as much as I used to. Too many people recording or taking pictures with their iphones, too much talking and too many drunk people. You would think the prog crowd would be more sophisticated but in my experience that is usually not the case. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 17:08
Three things come to mind: 1. Concerts at Chastain Park - People from the neighborhood got free tables up front and didn't come for the music but instead yanked so loudly amongst themselves that the rest of us couldn't hear the music. 2. Kansas came to the Midtown Music Festival and the Cult was on a stage too close and drowned them out. 3. Porcupine Tree played a venue and it was made standing room only despite there being a balcony area with seating. Three jerks were standing behind me loudly trashing the band.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 09:11
When I thought I should like Porcupine Tree because of all the hype and went to see them live ....
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 20:22
I was at this show in the front row of the mezzanine.  Ray Davies was seriously drunk.
This is not my blog (although I know the guy who wrote it) and my recollections differ slightly.  His more detailed reminiscence is at the link.
"March 30, 1971 -- The Kinks play at Lincoln Center's prestigious Philharmonic Hall (later renamed Avery Fisher Hall). In contrast to the elegance of the hall, Ray Davies' spontaneous, campy, outrageous, sometimes disoriented performance elicits a huge crowd response. When he falls into a bank of amplifiers (brother Dave kindly steps aside when he sees Ray toppling), members of the audience leap on stage to finish the song "Apeman" for Ray. By all accounts it is a night to remember. "
http://raydavies.fr.yuku.com/topic/9525/March-30-1971-Kinks-play-Lincoln-Centers-prestigious-Phi#.WLY8PYWcHIU
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 11:03
^ I can picture you now, chasing some hula-skirted honey down a Hawaiian beach, the pockets of your surf shorts stuffed with potatoes, as a volcano erupts in the background. No wonder she's running! Later the two of you will bake the potatoes in volcanic ash.

Funnily enough I was listening to some BRI this morning. Things seem to take a turn downhill in 1974 - August Suicidal is like a BOC pastiche - but the earlier stuff is just primo!

Edited by Mascodagama - February 28 2017 at 11:09
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 10:50
A combo dear sir. Burnin Red Ivanhoe still plays the odd gig AND I'm 75
Nahh I'm 34, love long beaches, raw potatoes, women with lava and sporting clothes with pockets.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 10:47
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It's been a pleasure reading this thread, so thank you very much for sharing those old war stories people

Uncomfortable concert moments? I've got quite a few but none that scream for attention on a prog forum.
I remember some mad moments kindly delivered by Iggy Pop, Pete Steele, Damon Albarn, Lemmy, Axl Rose (do yourself a favour and explode why don't ya), Bloodhound Gang and Metallica (3-4 incidents).
As for prog? Hhhmmmm....I once attended a Burnin Red Ivanhoe gig completely off my tits only to realise that the crowd was situated at these candlelit tables where everyone could see everyone. First 15 minutes were excrusiatingly tense until I decided to become THAT guy...and then started dancing at the side of the stage. The rest of the crowd felt this was clever move and then proceeded to serve me (free) beers for the duration of the show.

Either you are way older than I thought or Burnin' Red Ivanhoe carried on way longer than I realised
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 09:00
It's been a pleasure reading this thread, so thank you very much for sharing those old war stories people

Uncomfortable concert moments? I've got quite a few but none that scream for attention on a prog forum.
I remember some mad moments kindly delivered by Iggy Pop, Pete Steele, Damon Albarn, Lemmy, Axl Rose (do yourself a favour and explode why don't ya), Bloodhound Gang and Metallica (3-4 incidents).
As for prog? Hhhmmmm....I once attended a Burnin Red Ivanhoe gig completely off my tits only to realise that the crowd was situated at these candlelit tables where everyone could see everyone. First 15 minutes were excrusiatingly tense until I decided to become THAT guy...and then started dancing at the side of the stage. The rest of the crowd felt this was clever move and then proceeded to serve me (free) beers for the duration of the show.

- Douglas Adams
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 09:00
4th row for A Passion Play...wow! Well done, and very much worth braving the gulf of swirling and sweaty — and no doubt hairy — masses!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 08:39
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^Ah, the joys of the festival seating back in the day.  Surprised I was not crushed to death in some of the concerts then, actually remember one show (don't remember who, when, or where...typical then) that the whole floor (no seats) of people was shoulder to shoulder just swaying and pushing forward, thought I was going to pass out it was so hot.  You could not move, you just had to stand your ground if you could....damn, having a flashback now Wacko
Yeah, I had an unleashed mob experience myself at 'Tull's 'Passion Play concert in San Diego. It too was a "festival seating" scenario. My brother and I got there at like 9 the morning before the night of the show and somehow snaked our way into the line about 40 feet from the door. We were standing there hours later when the loud sounds of chains being unlocked and unraveled was heard, and the crowd just went nuts. Once inside, the ensuing rush towards the entrance immediately separated my brother and I, and I was engulfed in a swirling, sweaty mass of humanity. I felt lucky to be able to dart sideways out of this heaving column of 'Tull fanatics all trying to get to the front row, center stage. After a few moments of catching my breath and calm, I realized that my brother was somewhere inside the arena, so I braced myself and launched back into the melee. Within moments, I saw a see of concert goers already occupying the arena's floor. Upon inspection, I concluded that where I was (the side of stage left, one section up) wasn't a bad location and was relatively close to the stage, so I sat down, wondering where my brother was and where I'd find him after the show. No sooner had I grown accustomed to my predicament when I looked down and saw my brother waving his arms above his head. How he spotted me among the throng was miraculous. Bless his heart as he had snagged a couple seats in the fourth row of the floor, stage left. All in all, a more than memorable time for my first concert ever.

Edited by Rednight - February 28 2017 at 08:55
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 23:29
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I wasn't going to post this because it's rather personal and it's not something I'm proud of but here it goes. 

Damn, bunky, that was a fine yarn!!  Clap

I notice that Peter Frampton came up twice in this thread already....do I detect a pattern? 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 19:12
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^Ah, the joys of the festival seating back in the day.  Surprised I was not crushed to death in some of the concerts then, actually remember one show (don't remember who, when, or where...typical then) that the whole floor (no seats) of people was shoulder to shoulder just swaying and pushing forward, thought I was going to pass out it was so hot.  You could not move, you just had to stand your ground if you could....damn, having a flashback now Wacko

My first ever concert was like that, Rainbow in 81 at Leeds Queens Hall, I was crushed and must have had my feet literally off the floor a few times as we surged and ebbed and flowed. Fortunately I was 17 and fairly large so I loved every second.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 19:04
I wasn't going to post this because it's rather personal and it's not something I'm proud of but here it goes. 

I went to see Jethro Tull back around 2008 or so. The opening act was Peter Frampton. During Frampton's set the women behind me were talking and would just not shut up. I didn't ask them to be quiet because based on past experiences that never works. I should have at least tried though. Anyway, at some point I told the security woman and she said she came over and told them to be quiet. This made things worse in a way. The younger woman who was apparently the daughter of the woman sitting next to her said something like "oh, can I clap?" I just put my finger up to my mouth as in "shhhh" and she then gave me the middle finger. I went up to her and said "you wish." Apparently her mom thought I said "you bitch" and grabbed me by the back collar of my t shirt. A slap boxing match ensued involving me and about three or four different women. After about maybe 45 seconds the same female security guard came over because she thought I threw a punch(I did not though I was just blocking their slaps). I know better than to do something like that in public. I wound up being detained. Later on they came over to where the security guy was "holding" me and continued to insult me and call me a coward for not telling them to be quiet(as if that would work). The mother insisted I called her daughter a "bitch" which I did not.  What eventually happened was they went back to their seats(I assume)but I was actually "demoted" to a better section. I was in the top level but they put me in the bottom level on the ground. Once down there some big boobed blonde woman was standing for the rest of Frampton's set and so I didn't really enjoy that performance much. After this ordeal I didn't really enjoy JT that much either. After the show I went to my car and just sort of hung around. I struck up a conversation with one of the women who was parked near me that I saw earlier. I wound up hugging her(just hugging her)for about two to three minutes. 

That was probably the weirdest experience I've had at a concert and that's saying something. I've also been hit in the head by a woman's purse and "stabbed" by a feather from a guy's hat. I guess he was trying to be Robin Hood. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>