FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUncomfortable Concert Moments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uncomfortable Concert Moments
    Posted: January 17 2017 at 14:38
Saw the thread for "Unforgettable Concert Moments" and thought of this new one. For instance, Tony Levin f'king up the bass line on Red during Crimso's '81 tour in San Diego. I winced. I'm sure this is to prove a short-lived thread, but contributions are welcome regardless.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 14:58
I saw Charlie Haden's Quartet West at the DeCordova Museum's outdoor theater in Lincoln, Mass on a verrrrry hot and humid evening.  Haden's bass just wouldn't stay in tune, and he had to stop frequently in the middle of songs to tune it up.

Uncomfortable in more than one way.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 16:05
pfff....   Micky drops it to add to his PA's record for thread 'wins'

can't top this one...LOL or the story behind it....

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 16:46
Gotta be the time 60+ year old David Lee Roth flashed us at Van Halen... Dead
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 16:52
As I mentioned in the other thread, when I saw Tangerine Dream for the first time in 1988 at the California Theater, in San Diego...

...the sound cut out completely during the last encore, the title track of the new album Optical Race.

Ralf Wadephul aka "the new guy" jerked his head one way and then threw his arms up and laughed. Paul Haslinger was shaking his head. Edgar Froese was concerned, but just for a moment. Then they all got up from their keyboards, and Edgar grabbed a mic and went "Sorry, folks...sometimes these things happen!"

My friend saw Rush on the Hold Your Fire tour (I didn't get to see them till they came back 'round for Presto) and he said Geddy went into the chorus of "Limelight" too soon, but Alex and Neil caught it. Whew! No such goofs when I saw them...those were flawless shows, give or take.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 17:33
Some years ago I went to see Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, as they were advertising playing the whole of Argus.

Now I'm just a casual Ash fan, but evidently there are some serious true believers out there. I discovered this when the band came out and I remarked to my companion that Martin Turner's white linen suit was a little ill-advised. I should have said it a bit more quietly, because the woman standing in front of me, who was quite small but extremely fierce, immediately turned round and bellowed "IT'S HIS TRADE MARK!!!" in my face. I spent the rest of the gig envisaging being lynched by a posse of rabid Martin Turner fans.

As to the gig, they played two sets, and of course they played Argus as the second set. The first set was devoted to new and unrecorded archival material. This choice of running order was presumably made on the assumption that if they played Argus first most people would leave as soon they finished it. Which showed a certain amount of self-knowledge, since the new and unrecorded archival material was, to put it charitably, sh*te.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 17 2017 at 17:40
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 17:39
When, during the Purple Rain tour at S.F.'s Cow Palace, Paula Abdul made a surprise appearance and stunk up the place... I mean bad.

At the Ronnie Lane Appeal when Jeff Beck's amp started dying a loud and terrible death.

And in 1984 when Van Halen, ever the drunkards, allowed Roth to stop songs in the middle of them to babble on about nothing in particular (anyone ever notice it was always one of the band's birthdays?).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 17:55
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Now I'm just a casual Ash fan, but evidently there are some serious true believers out there. I discovered this when the band came out and I remarked to my companion that Martin Turner's white linen suit was a little ill-advised. I should have said it a bit more quietly, because the woman standing in front of me, who was quite small but extremely fierce, immediately turned round and bellowed "IT'S HIS TRADE MARK!!!" in my face. I spent the rest of the gig envisaging being lynched by a posse of rabid Martin Turner fans.

LOL
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 19:36
Quite a few but too lazy to think in english right now.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 20:10
Witnessing "Judas Priest" on their god awful "Screaming For Vengeance" tour which was way too loud, and I was a combination of hungover and peaking on some really crappy acid; the worst night of my life.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 20:54
Transatlantic, on the Kaleidoscope tour. One of the keyboards broke and they had to get technicians to try and fix it up... which in the end they just weren't able to do. In the end they got into the Kaleidoscope song with one less keyboard player... Ted Leonard would just go and make mock air playing at some parts. However, to tell the truth, I couldn't tell the difference (though in great part that would be because I hadn't been able to get the album yet by that time, and had only heard it a few times through Youtube). While they were trying to fix the keyboard, Neal Morse came out with an acoustic guitar to play a few songs by himself, which weren't part of the show and surely weren't particularly rehearsed.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 21:57
That one time when Bruce Springsteen says "hey, baby" and pulled me out of the audience to dance with him to Dancing in the Dark.  That was so uncomfortable, especially with the cameras rolling!

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 22:39
this one is a mixture of uncomfortable and great. I was at an Eric Burdon concert. Brian Auger was the keyboarder. during one song the guitar player broke a string and had to fix his guitar in the midst of the song while the band kept going. Auger saved the day though by filling in with an improvised keyboard solo until finally  the guitar player had put in a new string and rejoined the group

Edited by BaldJean - January 17 2017 at 22:47

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 23:58
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe in Rome. Jon has a cold and is unable to sing. During Brother of Mine stops singing and Rick is very disappointed. Jon remains on the stage but the other three and Tony Levin go on instrumentally. Probably just to save the incomes. Anyway they are so good musicians that I'm not too disappointed at the end.

Ian Gillon band with Toni Iommi at guitar. During a solo Iommi climbs a pile of speakers and loses the jack of his guitar. Then he goes back, reconnects the jack and restarts the solo, but has again the idea of climbing the speakers and the jack falls down again. So he throws the guitar on the floor and the band stops playing that song. More funny than disappointing. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 00:20
Another technical glitch story: I was at a Joe Satriani concert and the other guitarist, who also doubled on keyboard, was supposed to strum the introductory chords to Not of This Earth as Satriani was sustaining one note, segueing from the previous song.

Well, there were a lot of guitars on stage, at least half a dozen for Satriani and a couple for the supporting guitarist, so the crew must have missed hooking this one to the amp. As Satriani was sustaining this note on one side of the stage, the other guitarist noticed no sound is being heard from his guitar. A guitar tech rushes to the stage to try to fix it. The guitarist decides the show must go on and plays the arpeggiated chords on his keyboard to buy the guitar tech time to fix the sound!

Satriani notices the sound and key is wrong so he stops playing and crosses the stage to see what's going on. While Satriani was bantering with the crowd, the guitar tech was able to fix the guitar and the band and audience gave him a round of applause.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 06:49
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

That one time when Bruce Springsteen says "hey, baby" and pulled me out of the audience to dance with him to Dancing in the Dark.  That was so uncomfortable, especially with the cameras rolling!

thought I recognized you in the video. I was right!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 06:56
April 4, 1976  Dallas-  I had won a pair of second row seats to a Joe Cocker/Sammy Hagar concert.   My best friend and I were looking forward to rocking out with Ex Montrose lead singer Sammy Hagar.   The Joe Cocker crowd wasn't into Sammy Hagar.  They didn't boo,  they just stared, sitting there bored.  The ever manic Sammy Hagar ran and jumped like a crazed chimpanzee while jamming his heart out.  Finally, Sammy Hagar harangued the crowd, screaming...

"What's wrong with you people?  Are you on valium?  When Montrose would come thru here,  Dallas would go crazy.  Well f**k it.  I'm going to have a good time, whether you do or not!" 

Afterwards, Joe Cocker's crew quickly prepared the stage for the main attraction.  While watching the roadies, I couldn't figure out why they put out two microphones for Joe - once a foot of the ground plus the standard microphone stand.   His band came out and jammed for a jazzy 20 minutes and then Joe hit the stage, carrying a pop corn sized container of beer.   OMG was Cocker clocked.  The foot high microphone was there for when Joe fell down drunk. 

Joe Cocker reminded me of a bored monkey as he kept picking his ass and this is happening while he was singing "Your So Beautiful"  And the Dallas crowd loved it! 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 07:30
Halloween 1995...Allow me a King Crimson uncomfortable concert moment.  I'll let King Crimson tell the story with a direct quote from DGM  King Crimson diary...

Good Evening. Welcome to the very first show of this King Crimson here in Texas. We have some frightening stuff prepared for you, so hold onto your pumpkins” announces Belew at the start of the show. Belew had little idea just how frightening things would get on this Halloween Eve gig. Eyewitness Paul Ciminero tells the tale. “At the end of the show the entire band stands out front and bows together..some moron threw something at the stage and hit Fripp in the head...” From a slightly different vantage point, Alan Edmonds: I couldn't tell what it was; it appeared shaped like a small Frisbee but colored red and white like a Coca-Cola can. The crowd groaned in shock and mumurs of 'there goes the encore' were heard throughout. Mr. Fripp put his hand to his head and started looking around for the object. The band left the stage and the crowd started clapping and hollering again. For some reason, the band came back out and did three songs for the encore(s). One of them was the three drum percussion number with Adrian, Bill and Pat. During this number, you could see Mr. Fripp walking around in the back with his hand to his head. No word was mentioned about the incident with the thrown object.”

I sat about 20 rows back.  I thought the mystery missile to be a Budwieser bottle.   I remember being totally embarrassed for Fort Worth and concerned for Fripp because the can or bottle hit Fripp hard.  It had to hurt.  Here's another eyewitness account from the King Crimson DGM diary thanks to Steve Parker

Halloween Fun!

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 18 2017 at 08:04
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 08:19
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Yes it was, please take dancing lessons.......

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 08:40
-As mentioned in the other thread, seeing Steve Howe solo in a bar was a real thrill.  We stood 10 feet away smoking cigs and downing beers as the master played beautifully.  Then, to the horror of all, he stood, strapped on an electric, and started singing "Heat of the Moment."  Oh dear....

-Kim Deal of Pixies walking up to us and casually informing us she had just taken "a huge dump."  That's rock and roll. 

-At Yes in '94, the drunk guy next to me screaming at the top of his lungs during every quiet moment....."play something from the 70s!!"  He eventually got his wish and quieted down. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>