Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJesus Christ! Fact or fiction?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Poll Question: Jesus Christ! Fact or fiction?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [73.68%]
10 [26.32%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jesus Christ! Fact or fiction?
    Posted: January 18 2017 at 20:50
Jesus didn't exist because he was a story made up by the Romans around 50ad, and there was no place called Nazareth at the time. And indeed no place called Bethlehem at the time. One of the writers of one of the Gospels refers to Jesus as a Nazarine, but this is misunderstood to assume Jesus and his family were from Nazareth, and Jesus and co were not because there was not such a place at the time. And whilst a few hundreds years BC there had been a town called Bethlehem as mentioned in the Jewish scriptures prophesizing the birth of the Messiah (the God of the Messianic Jews), the ignorance of the writers of Luke and Matthew tried to amend the failed attempt of Mark of appeasing the Messianic Jews by writing in the prophesies, so creating the nativity and locating it where there was nothing but barren stony ground.

The Passion is a typical Pagan god story of that time, Mark's account of the Jesus ministry is basically using the writing of Josephus' account of Titus Flavian in the Middle East and Palestine, and then Matthew and Luke bring in more typical Pagan god story to flesh out the nativity and try to keep the Messianic Jews happy. But the Jews never bought it.

What's your view............. Evil Smile

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - January 18 2017 at 20:50
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 23:34
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Jesus didn't exist because he was a story made up by the Romans around 50ad, and there was no place called Nazareth at the time. And indeed no place called Bethlehem at the time. One of the writers of one of the Gospels refers to Jesus as a Nazarine, but this is misunderstood to assume Jesus and his family were from Nazareth, and Jesus and co were not because there was not such a place at the time. And whilst a few hundreds years BC there had been a town called Bethlehem as mentioned in the Jewish scriptures prophesizing the birth of the Messiah (the God of the Messianic Jews), the ignorance of the writers of Luke and Matthew tried to amend the failed attempt of Mark of appeasing the Messianic Jews by writing in the prophesies, so creating the nativity and locating it where there was nothing but barren stony ground.

The Passion is a typical Pagan god story of that time, Mark's account of the Jesus ministry is basically using the writing of Josephus' account of Titus Flavian in the Middle East and Palestine, and then Matthew and Luke bring in more typical Pagan god story to flesh out the nativity and try to keep the Messianic Jews happy. But the Jews never bought it.

Yes there was, Historian John P Meier proved that Nazareth was a insignificant village in Galilee, as a fact James F Strange calculate the populatoion of Nazareth in less than 500 persons.

The archaeologist Yardena Alexandre discovered the exact location of Nazareth in 2009.

Bethlehem didn't existed a few hundred years BC, as a fact  the El-Amarna Tablets, is mentioned around 1,500 BC and is also mentioned 3,000 years BC it already existed in hopnor to a deity called Lahama, a name that changed into Beit Lahama (The House of lahama).

The rest of your post sounds more like conspiracy theory.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 00:21
No human being can come back to life after being nailed to wood........sorry, I just can't buy into it.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 00:48
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

No human being can come back to life after being nailed to wood........sorry, I just can't buy into it.....

Very good point
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 01:10
You have to define what you mean by "Jesus", because there is some evidence a popular guy with that name did exist.   But isn't the question whether or not he was literally divine?, which leads to belief and opinion and experience and faith and ...

By the way, quick question: any views on what theoretic Jesus would think about Christian history?   Pleased?   Mortified?   Happy to let things be?

Edited by Atavachron - January 19 2017 at 01:18
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 02:18
Here something else to chew on. The Christian Religion was an invention of the Romans to keep their dominions under control and worked very well for quite a period of time and still works pretty well for the Pope in Rome and all the various Splinter groups that have descended from it.............

If it was not for Constantine there would be no Christian religions as we know today ...................
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 02:32
It's all a bunch of psychological politics. A rule-book suggesting we live our way according to doo-gooder ideals that they state we should live by. Good luck, everyone !!!!!!!!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 02:40
Fact.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 03:16
It's a fact, I read it in the bible Tongue
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 03:23
I’d take someone living their life to the guidelines of the bible over some of the most unpleasant, hedonistic, debauched, selfish, sexually depraved, self-gratifying, nasty, irresponsible, vindictive, directionless and arrogant people I’ve encountered in my life any day.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 05:39
^  I totally agree with you, Michael.  I've known many Christians in my life and they were basically decent people. I would rather be around them much more than any of the low life a**holes that I have also known in my life.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 06:08
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Why should the Romans fake a story about Jesus of Nazareth (which did exist back then as a small village with a surface of approximately 10 acres), who lived in a province of minor importance in the Roman Empire?

Bethlehem was there, and it had been there for at least 1040 years. King David was born there in 1042 or 1041 BC and Micah named it sometime during the second half of the 8th century BC. The name Bethlehem means "House of bread" and is not named after some pick from the deities galore as Iván suggests.

About the Passion (which word refers to the suffering of Jesus): Tell me which pagan god was prepared to die for our sins. I don't know one. And the resurrection was something unheard of, the more because it was something physical and not symbolic. And I wonder how Mark could use the writings of Flavius Josephus about a war which was not yet fought to the full when he wrote his gospel. And if it was, he must have had access to a copy somehow. A printed book? That would not stand out among the other anachronisms.

And now to the point: It is a fact, no fiction. I won't quote 1 John here right now, 2 Peter 1:16 will do:

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 06:39
I may surprise Ivàn, but I do believe there was some kind of prehistoric-hippie that lived and created havoc in the Romana Pax (roman peace) at the time...

But he was some kind of jewish-beatnik that took himself seriously, no moreEvil Smile

Too bad his buddies believed exploiting his death for their own profit & glory. Disapprove
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 06:54
^First: we're not discussing how good people are Christian people. We know, we know, most of them give to the poor, they live and share with the community and they cook cakes to the newcoming neighbours. Fine. But that's not the point of the thread.

Secondly: while there are some details in the biography of Jesus as written in the Bible that are to be believed (the Resurrection, his divine nature, the Lazarus resurrection, the water becoming wine, etc...), I'm not sure we're discussing if Jesus was a man whose life times had been a little exagerated by his "biographists" or if he was the Son of God and the Messiah.
The initial post asks the question of his EXISTENCE - a question more... crucial.

Thirdly: I'm aware of the "mythicist" hypothesis (the hypothesis that Jesus may have been a myth) and I consider that some points raised by the mythicists are... interesting and even seducing... But, having been a history student, I don't want to be seduced: I want to be convinced with proofs.
And, to speak the truth, while I acknowledge some problems within the biographical aspects of the New Testament,what Eddie says won't convince me.
Not only Constantine making Christianism the official religion of the Roman Empire wasn't the best thing to do by the Empire to keep its "dominions" under its grip (the cult of Mithra was vastly practiced by soldiers and merchants, two important groups in the Roman society), but this decision was also criticised by the elite and some rulers.
Also, the main problems with the written sources about Jesus are not that the geographical aspects would be wrong: keep in mind that we don't have versions of the Evangiles older than the fourth century. We must assume that there could have been, decades after decades, heavy re-writings of what Mark, Luke, Matthew and John wrote in their times. That could explain some geographical glitches or even the weird holes in the chronology (we know that Jesus was born under the reign of Herod, but the year is still unclear).

What could puzzle us is that we can't find sources about Jesus from his times: none of the contemporean Roman, Greek or Hebraic authors wrote about him. The first authors referencing Jesus are Tacite, Pline the Young and Suetone - the three ones writing at the end of the first century, more than 50 years after Jesus' death.
On the other hand, Paul of Tarse, whose existence was real, met the former disciples of Jesus and started writing around the year 50. So, it could be accepted as a proof of the existence of Jesus - even if his biography is somewhat full of holes.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 10:47
A person named Jesus most likely existed. 

Maybe he was as amazing in his words and actions (bar the supernatural ones) as he has been described. 

He surely was the normal son of a man and a woman. 
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 11:02
Interesting, as much as intriguing. I've been noticing so much concern about proving Jesus existence, that ultimately I get wondering what's the real point in that, since both the basic principles of life existence and of human relationship - as a matter of fact - haven't ever changed since long before any occidental religion ever existed, no to say the oriental ones which are much older.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 11:06
Yes although not believing in god(s), virgin births or any of that magical bullsh*t - I do believe in a historical nice and popular guy called Jesus. Kind of glad he's more of an ideal for modern day christians than his bloodthirsty psychopath of a "father".  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 11:24
^ That's pretty much how I feel.

I'm rather agnostic on the issue, but in a sense I veer towards both fact and fiction. I don't believe in the veracity of the claims made about Jesus in the bible or in Islamic scripture or various religious texts, but I do suspect that there was a Jesus figure that had followers that inspired the writings.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 13:26
A man named Jesus of Nazareth is thought by academics to have existed two thousandth years ago and put to death by the Roman prefect Pilate. If he was divine or an enlightened social thinker should be the question, as some others have stated.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 14:16
I guess my Question is did Jesus exist as an actual person........... I don't think that historical evidence supports his existence and that he is most likely a combination of ancient myths cobbled together by the early Christian writers during the birth of Christianity. I mean if someone was bring people back from the dead etc, I think the Romans might have noticed..... for example and yet there is no historical record of Jesus in Roman texts and the Romans where very religious (lol) in their record keeping.

You might ask what did the Romans ever do for us?!

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - January 19 2017 at 14:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>