FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson
    Posted: January 23 2017 at 15:47
Do you prefer late Porcupine Tree to Wilson's solo work, or the other way around?

I probably prefer late Porcupine Tree, but am very interested in what you guys think of this generation's finest prog musician.

If you have any other opinions on his work feel free to mention them, and I will guarantee you a response. :)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 15:49
define late... for there was a point that late PT and SWilson fell off the creative cliff and just started churning out sh*t for the fanboys...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 15:52
By late I'm talking about albums such as "In Absentia" and "Deadwing." When it comes to Porcupine Tree, I've always looked to these two albums, as well as their song "Anesthetize."
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 15:54
@micky I'm kind of new here. Is this how I mention you in a post?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:00
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

hit the quote button.. upper right!

Welcome to the site btw...

then definitely late PT...  I love me In Absentia... problem was it starting going off the rails after that IMO.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

then definitely late PT...  I love me In Absentia... problem was it starting going off the rails after that IMO.

Hmmm am I doing it? Thanks!

I have to say right after "In Absentia," they published "Deadwing." I think that's more so when they started going on the off path. I've been a good fan of Wilson for the past year or so.

Also, how do you set up a poll?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:15
I think with any artist, there are different points in their catalog that, ok, some may think are low points or whatever but I look at them as different stages or influences. We don't know the full story as to why an artist veers off course from maybe a path we like, down some different path....I look at it as just some different influence.
IDC, as long as the music is good and with emotion I'll give it a good listen. That's why I can easily say I enjoy all eras of Rush, Genesis and specifically to your question PT and SW. 

For PT I do prefer the material after Signify, the early stuff is just ok, I listen but not too much. Although I listen to all SW solo material.

All the albums have different moods....That maybe tough to deal with.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:19

I have to say right after "In Absentia," they published "Deadwing." I think that's more so when they started going on the off path. I've been a good fan of Wilson for the past year or so.

My dear wife likes Deadwing.. much more than I do.. but both think Fear of Braindead Fans was really were PT fell off the cliff..  we really did try to get into his solo stuff. Bought the things (now used for drink coasters) and even tried to see him live a couple of times. We just couldn't do it... so we got obliterated at the bar and savaged what was otherwise a wasted evening

as far as polls?  You just head to the poll section and create... it is a bit involved. You'll get the hang of it. I do think you have to reach a certain 'point' total in your posts. Perhaps 25.. not sure what it is these days.  Once you reach a certain threshold you can make polls. If you try to do one and find you can't just do some spamming and get your post count up and then you should be able to.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:21
In general, Steven Wilson is great with moods. Not all people are as great as conveying emotion as he is. I can probably listen to "Grace For Drowning" on repeat all day.

I also love Rush, Genesis, but Floyd most of all!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:22
From day one I was weaned on SW first album.  And I loved it.  The entire PT and SW catalog is pretty unbelievable.   Mr. Wilson is the midst of an amazing run.  Grace, Raven, and Hand Cannot...Erase are as good as it gets.   
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:25

My dear wife likes Deadwing.. much more than I do.. but both think Fear of Braindead Fans was really were PT fell off the cliff..  we really did try to get into his solo stuff. Bought the things (now used for drink coasters) and even tried to see him live a couple of times. We just couldn't do it... so we got obliterated at the bar and savaged what was otherwise a wasted evening

as far as polls?  You just head to the poll section and create... it is a bit involved. You'll get the hang of it. I do think you have to reach a certain 'point' total in your posts. Perhaps 25.. not sure what it is these days.  Once you reach a certain threshold you can make polls. If you try to do one and find you can't just do some spamming and get your post count up and then you should be able to.

Ok then! I will do exactly that!

Ha ha did you mean to say Fear of Braindead?

Spamming in full motion!

I would be psyched if i went to a Wilson concert!
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:27
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

From day one I was weaned on SW first album.  And I loved it.  The entire PT and SW catalog is pretty unbelievable.   Mr. Wilson is the midst of an amazing run.  Grace, Raven, and Hand Cannot...Erase are as good as it gets.   

Man, I couldn't agree more!

I'm patiently waiting for Blackfield V as well. :)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:27
oh never mind me...  I have a bit of a history with SWilson.. and some of his fans.

An inside joke for now.. and one you'll likely be in on to the point of facepalming everytime I open my yapper about SWilson.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:32

oh never mind me...  I have a bit of a history with SWilson.. and some of his fans.

An inside joke for now.. and one you'll likely be in on to the point of facepalming everytime I open my yapper about SWilson.

Oh man, ok. Good that you cleared that up.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:38
Thumbs Up yeah.. I should have been a bit more careful jumping into your thread.  It is a running joke... one running for years.  Goes back to one of my finest moments on the forum when he actually did join the forum years ago and came around hunting for some hero worship and love

and he was getting it.. man how the jockies were flying around the forum..

well me and my AR thugs weren't haven't any of that .. so we crashed his thread.. and sort of ran him off. Never seen him back in fact. 

anyhow... I do like teasing some of the guys here for still enjoying his obviously lame and uninspired solo stuff. Especially putting them as best of year winners on this site over much more creative fresh, and simply better albums LOL
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:44
It'll be hard for me to choose, since I like both PT and SW solo efforts. Since he was the main songwriter for PT, the influence of the other artists is what makes the difference, and on both cases, they are quite good.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:50

Thumbs Up yeah.. I should have been a bit more careful jumping into your thread.  It is a running joke... one running for years.  Goes back to one of my finest moments on the forum when he actually did join the forum years ago and came around hunting for some hero worship and love

and he was getting it.. man how the jockies were flying around the forum..

well me and my AR thugs weren't haven't any of that .. so we crashed his thread.. and sort of ran him off. Never seen him back in fact. 

anyhow... I do like teasing some of the guys here for still enjoying his obviously lame and uninspired solo stuff. Especially putting them as best of year winners on this site over much more creative fresh, and simply better albums LOL

Personally, I love his albums. They just appeal to me in their music and style. He still keeps a somewhat silly Instagram up, but man, I'm such a fan of his stuff. I don't know what to make of this little episode.

He puts so much work into them!
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:54
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

It'll be hard for me to choose, since I like both PT and SW solo efforts. Since he was the main songwriter for PT, the influence of the other artists is what makes the difference, and on both cases, they are quite good.

It's quite hard! I think we can all agree that later Porcupine Tree was better than earlier Porcupine Tree. But then there's Blackfield... I'm just so excited for Blackfield V!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:57
well... hahahah.. yeah.. that he does.  No one would ever accuse SWILSON of slacking off and not working.

I do wonder what a vacation.. perhaps a signature booze, broads, and blow Micky weekend might do for HIS creative side.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 17:05

well... hahahah.. yeah.. that he does.  No one would ever accuse SWILSON of slacking off and not working.

I do wonder what a vacation.. perhaps a signature booze, broads, and blow Micky weekend might do for HIS creative side.

Yeah! That would be so great... 

My new dream! Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>