Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednektar (a tab in the ocean)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: nektar (a tab in the ocean)
    Posted: January 28 2017 at 17:03
Upon fourth listen , i have a mixed feeling about this album on the one hand the elements of prog are there . I find it a rather bland recording, let me explain, the sound the band makes is awesome by the standards of some great keyboard work and organ ,also the guitars are simply stunning ,this canned studio mix,  made in Germany is just to dense for me, anyone else agree?The best track i feel is desolation valley and another great song is king of twilight but the epic a tab in the ocean would definitely i feel be more grand like(close the the edge) ,if i had a better studio mix just saying . Ouch

Edited by grantman - January 28 2017 at 20:11
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2017 at 17:12
I have it but find it pretty average
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2017 at 19:04
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I would agree..maybe a teeny tiny bit above avg.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 15:03
Just a good album (3 stars)
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 16:01
I really like Nektar. I find them to be pretty out there. I've always heard good things about this record but have yet to hear it. Pretty surprised at the level of meh.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 16:49
I love it; I think it is their best album, and a five star effort.
Eradicus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 01:18
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

Upon fourth listen , i have a mixed feeling about this album on the one hand the elements of prog are there . I find it a rather bland recording, let me explain, the sound the band makes is awesome by the standards of some great keyboard work and organ ,also the guitars are simply stunning ,this canned studio mix,  made in Germany is just to dense for me, anyone else agree?The best track i feel is desolation valley and another great song is king of twilight but the epic a tab in the ocean would definitely i feel be more grand like(close the the edge) ,if i had a better studio mix just saying . Ouch

I peferred Tab in the Ocean to Journey to the Centre of the Eye.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 00:09
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

Strange, I was just thinking about this. I do agree that the mix sucks. I don't quite agree that it's too dense. I find it too sparse, almost unfinished. Somehow for some reason the base won out in the mix to the detriment of everything else, even to the point where it seems like some parts are missing, IMO. Nice album, though. It's not as good as their debut, Journey to the Center of the Eye, but I like it better than recycled.

Edited by HackettFan - February 15 2017 at 00:10
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 18:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I would agree..maybe a teeny tiny bit above avg.

I am not sure how to say this ... but I find this ...scary!

I first heard this in late 1972 or early 1973, and hearing it then, it was top notch ... and totally great on that LP, and I heard it the same night I heard Selling England by the Pound. I have loved Nektar since then, and even had a tear when Roye left us.

Hearing it today, some 40 plus years later, it will sound simplistic, because the technical abilities of today were not existent then, and we're listening to it with today's mind set ... not yesterdays. I mean, it's like saying/thinking that Black Sabbath sounded better, and it was a similar recording setup, since only a handful of bands could afford to use "the big time", like Abbey Road, for example.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 08:56
I thought it was only average at first, but I just listened to the album a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it.

Edited by BunBun - February 19 2017 at 09:01
pussywillow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 14:45
Fantastic album, a total classic when it first came out all those years ago, and I loved it. Still do, but it might be getting a bit dated now, like a lot of things.

Their best as far as I am concerned, with their brilliant Remember the Future a short head behind..

Oh yeah, and these came from an era when proper records were released in gatefold covers. Yummy.
PussyWillow is the best distillation of the classic Tull formula, juxtaposing Anderson's gruff but expressive vocals and a strong, insistent melody bolstered by well-placed, crunchy guitar chords.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 02:04
Man we lost Roye last year.  I just looked it up.  Got to see them on the Evolution tour.  Caravan was the opening act.  Hard to pick out a favorite album.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 10:52
I'm a long-time Nektar fan--and big advocate of trying to get people to take notice to the absolutely brilliant guitar work of Roye Albrighton. They were among my first exposure to Prog World--after Uriah Heep, Todd Rundgren, and Yes. As a matter of fact, in 1974 I think I was more excited for their discography and new releases than any other band. Tab, Remember the FutureRecycled, and Down to Earth were on HEAVY rotation in our house. Then they were supposed to come to the local outdoor summer concert theater ("The Castle" at Castle Farms) with PAVLOV'S DOG. I was SO PSYCHED. But they cancelled due to low ticket sales. Cry
     Despite Roye's friction over the years with the record labels that hold the rights to his 70s production, I have loved his work--even the 21st Century Christian-oriented stuff. He is probably the best guitar rhythmist I've ever heard: such timing and mastery of subtle little flourishes.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 10:53
A very good album!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 11:02
My fave Nektar album is Recycled with A Tab coming in 2nd.  Definitely a step down in production and performance, but still a cool album Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 12:54
500 reviews here.....4.06...the highest rated one.
But my favorite is Remember the Future.....mostly for the melodies.....but the first 6 are all good imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply