Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis or Pink Floyd album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Genesis or Pink Floyd album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
54 [65.85%]
28 [34.15%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 09:12
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

...  But The Wall inspired Germans to tear down their wall, and to escape from their destructive tyranny. I was not around during this time, and have not read on the historic impact, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me so. 

ehm .. lol ..  thanks for the best laugh today ....

No, it didn't inspire any german to tear down that wall. The world already agreed that the only valid musical influence for that was David Hasselhoff's "Looking for freedom" ... Wink

And to add something useful to the thread, i voted for The Wall ... somehow i never really got connected to LLDOB

Edited by rocko - January 31 2017 at 09:22
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 08:19
Love PF but The Wall leaves me cold for some reason...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 08:37
^The same with Rick Wright.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 09:17
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

What is this?  A News site?  I wasn't posting about Trump or Hillary?  I was just stating my opinion!  Sheeez!  So my opinion is baloney?  Man, relax and go back to a news site.  I ask humbly to not hate me and you did anyways!

Sheeez.  We cant have an unpopular opinion at all on the internet anymore can we.  I guess I have to love Beyonce and Rhianna and give up my love of prog music too because it's not popular enough for you?

Man!  Listen to your own favorite!!  You sound like your lyrics:  "If I had my way, I'd have you all shot!"

Sheeez!   RELAX!  IT'S JUST MUSIC.  We can all like what we like and not like what we don't like.  My opinion is no less baloney and ridiculousness then yours.  Be the first and stop it with the internet abuse.  I didn't call anyone's opinion crap, I just stated how I felt.  That's what this forum AND THESE POLLS ARE FOR RIGHT?  If you are gonna chew someone out for their opinion, then why have a poll?  Are you bating people to troll them?

I really didn't mean it that way, and I'm just seeing this reply now. I really wish PA had a notification center, or something like that.

I meant more that "The Wall" was great and had a big historical output than what I said about your opinion. I just didn't hear the misery and futility... I'm such a big fan of it that I reacted ridiculously.

But possibly the biggest problem is that you didn't hear my voice. I meant it way more calm, and "baloney" probably ruined the way I came across. :(
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 09:20
Originally posted by rocko rocko wrote:

...  But The Wall inspired Germans to tear down their wall, and to escape from their destructive tyranny. I was not around during this time, and have not read on the historic impact, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me so. 

No, it didn't inspire any german to tear down that wall. The world already agreed that the only valid musical influence for that was David Hasselhoff's "Looking for freedom" ... Wink

And to add something useful to the thread, i voted for The Wall ... somehow i never really got connected to LLDOB

I'm only going by what I heard...?

I wasn't around at the time, but that's what many of my older companions have told and explained to me about the album.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 10:09

I wasn't around at the time, but that's what many of my older companions have told and explained to me about the album.
I always thought the inspiration came from Terry Gilliam's movie, Adventures of Baron Munchausen. "Open the Gates!"
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 10:48
Haven't liked The Wall since I was about 18. Lamb is timeless.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 10:56
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I always thought the inspiration came from Terry Gilliam's movie, Adventures of Baron Munchausen. "Open the Gates!"

Not sure about all that, but it is becoming evermore clear that teachers are leaving those kids alone.Though correlation / causation not confirmed. But this is the internet so I'm making it official.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 13:36
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

The Lamb wins hands down over The Wall. But The Wall walks over Genesis albums.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 07:15
The Lamb for 1000 reasons. I love "The Wall" (as many of music listeners around the world) so much but "The Lamb" is better 
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 10:00
The Wall, and it's nowhere near being my favorite PF album. I can't stand The Lamb.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 08:03
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

I think The Lamb is a better album, so that's my pick.

What you say?

SO much better - no contest, IMO...
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 16:21
Genesis
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 16:48
I don't like either album but I'll go with Genesis 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 19:06

But The Wall inspired Germans to tear down their wall, and to escape from their destructive tyranny. I was not around during this time, and have not read on the historic impact, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me so. 

Oh please.

Do you believe the SED POLITBURO members gathered to listen  Roger Waters whining about his overprotective mother building a wall around him and were inspired to throw the Berlin wall..

This was decided long before, and believe me, no Rock album had any impact on the decision.

It's obvious you were not around that time.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 14 2017 at 19:08

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 05:49
It's pretty much a draw for me, both I like overall, both are not my favourites of those bands, both have their highs and lows, some songs I always love to get back to and some that are rather forgettable. I don't have much of an issue with either concept or lyrics; actually I get more out of them both than out of many concept albums, but then I'm not that much into lyrics generally. I can appreciate concept albums and accept a few fillers (music-wise) if they're properly embedded in the whole thing. So both good but you won't find them on my top 100 albums list.

And just adding another German voice, no connection at all between Roger's wall and the German one.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 06:47
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

But The Wall inspired Germans to tear down their wall, and to escape from their destructive tyranny. I was not around during this time, and have not read on the historic impact, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me so. 

Oh please.

Do you believe the SED POLITBURO members gathered to listen  Roger Waters whining about his overprotective mother building a wall around him and were inspired to throw the Berlin wall..

This was decided long before, and believe me, no Rock album had any impact on the decision.

It's obvious you were not around that time.

I've stated openly that I was not around during that time. And, for the last time, I'll tell you that I'm just going off of WHAT I HEARD from many who WERE AROUND during that time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 12:03

I've stated openly that I was not around during that time. And, for the last time, I'll tell you that I'm just going off of WHAT I HEARD from many who WERE AROUND during that time.

Yeah man, you said it, but there are books about the issue.

It's better to read it here than to suffer a harsh response by a jerk if you say this in real life.

I assure you, there's absolutely no relation between Pink Floyd The Wall and the Berlin Wall.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 15 2017 at 12:28

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 12:28
Now about the albums

I love Pink Floyd, but The Wall is not among my favourites

I love Genesis more and The Lamb is an icon of an era, even not my favourite.

Still, I'll go with The Lamb by far

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 12:32
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

yeah man, you said it, but there are books about the issue.

It's better to read it here than to suffer a harsh response by a jerk if you say this in real life.

I asure you, there's absolutely no relation between Pink Floyd The Wall and the Berlin Wall.

Roger Waters, did, though, make a relationship between the two by staging a concert in Berlin of The Wall, featuring s host of guest artists not long after the coming down of said wall.

The Wall was not merely an album about his mother, father, divorce, paranoia, breakdown of relationships, and ego, although it was all of those things, but also about the impact of said issues on Pink, and it's relationship to real life walls being built between people and cultures. In that regard, the Berlin Wall was very much in his thoughts when he wrote the album.

It is absolutely no accident whatsoever that Pink built a wall around his alter ego, and said alter ego was a fascist dictator. Again, the correlation between this and the real wall was absolutely no accident whatsoever. Of course, Waters regularly utilised real life politics and political situations in his lyrics and musical theatre.

Young Mlkpad14 has a point here, and his point should not be dismissed so lightly.

EDIT. The Wall album did not, though, inspire the Germans to tear down said wall. That is a silly fallacy. That there is a connection between both walls is not in doubt in my opinion.

Edited by lazland - February 15 2017 at 12:34
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>