Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeke Leonard R.I.P.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deke Leonard R.I.P.
    Posted: February 01 2017 at 08:52

Deke Leonard: Rock band Man's guitarist dies, aged 72Cry

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 10:10
RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 14:19
Do You Like It Here Now, Are You Settling In? is one of my favourite albums. it does not have a weak track and Many Are Called, But Few Get Up is very special. Deke Leonard's Iceberg were almost identical to Man and the 717155I track is another standout track for me.

As has been noted elsewhere, Man/Iceberg did not always capture their live energy on the studio albums, so their BBC In Concert and radio sessions are among their best work. I hope the BBC will release this material before Man are all but forgotten.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 14:32
I have always had a hard time with the music of Man, but Deke's guitar has always been the high point for me on their recordings.  Yet another sad loss. Cry
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 15:41
Man were one of those bands (like Hawkwind) who i just saw so many times and Deke was such great guy and such a unique guitarist (as well as a fantastic raconteur!); along with the late Micky Jones, Man made some of the most unique (and ok, not always very 'Prog' but definately different! Zappa's respect for their guitar playing says it all) guitar playing of the 1970's. The Rockpalast TV concert from around 1975, doing Dekes 7171-551 just shows the fantastic chemistry between them. Very, Very sad.. RIP DekeCry

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 13:28
That's a pity Cry
I saw MAN live several times, once I had a beer with him at the bar in the aftermath ...
Guitarist on uncounted albums, I loved his books too ... bye bye Deke

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 15:27
Hi,

Been wanting to review the book that Deke put together about the band in its waning days, but in many ways, it is so sad, that it was not exactly one of those books that one would want to review to give it glowing looks. 

However, it had magnificent laughs and moments in it, and almost on that alone it was worth reading, were it not for a few folks that ripped off the band silly, and they are not in jail and should be.

If I have favorite moments of this band, they were really good in LA with the new bass and keyboards (Whaley and friend), and opened for Hawkwind in the show called Space 1999 in a small venue that was OK for Man, but too small and obviously too loud for Hawkwind, and we had to leave less than half into it.

Of all the pieces of theirs, I keep coming back to the long version of "C'mon" in the Back Into the Future" album and its magnificent vocals and yodels by Micky and the choir with it ... an absolutely astounding live moment, the kind that one will rarely, if ever, catch. Musically, it is one of the nicest things vocally I have ever heard.

Great lines everyone, by Deke, there is only one that needs to stands up ... "... we have a guest with us today ... he don't know the notes and neither do we!"

Edited by moshkito - February 02 2017 at 15:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 13:28
Oh bollocks, that is sad news! Man have always been a favourite of mine and Deke's dry sense of humour that came across so well in his books was hillarious. RIP Deke.

Edited by Nightfly - February 03 2017 at 13:28
 Post Reply Post Reply