Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Live Performance You Have Ever Seen!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Live Performance You Have Ever Seen!?
    Posted: February 03 2017 at 03:45
For me I would have to say The Skints - A Reggae band from London UK who came to Southampton recently and played a killer show. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 04:00
Barbara Dennerlein. we saw her live twice, and it was a great experience.

also Rabih Abou-Khalil with his strange mixture of several musical styles

Edited by BaldJean - February 03 2017 at 04:03

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 07:51
The thing is that the best live experiences are so good and overwhelming, they're just total experiences. This makes it impossible for me to rank them and say that one of them is "the best". Certainly I had quite a number of this quality. A Kraan show in the 80s comes to mind, actually there are many top shows from the 80s, King Crimson just when Discipline came out, one by Eloy, one solo show by Peter Hammill. Fred Frith's Keep the Dog were great. Recently I have for example seen Sigur Ros headlining the Citadel festival in London and they were extremely good, as were Jaga Jazzist when I saw them for the first time perhaps 8-10 years ago.
Non-prog, watching the Comsat Angels play again in 2009, 14 years after their last album in their hometown Sheffield for their 500 most devoted fans was a unique experience.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 00:46
There's been so many....but theones that stick out in my mind are...

It Bites at the T&C London in 1989. Incredible sound and confident performance. Completely blew me away.

The Cure (twice) once on the Disintegration tour and again just last year. Just amazing shows with great sound, and they always seem to now what I want to hear!

Rush - Hold your fire, London 1988. It was the first time I saw them and I was something of a fanboy so the whole experience was really quite overwhelming.

The Gothic symphony - a performance of this legendary classcial work by Havergal Brian at the proms in London 2012 (?) left me stunned. The orchestra for this work is enormous, consisting of multiple choirs and vast string, wind and percussion sections. I've never heard a sound like that in my life.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 01:13
Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker and a bunch of others at the Ronnie Lane Appeal Tour;  Yes 'in the Round' in 1991;  Stevie Ray Vaughan for Couldn't Stand the Weather '84;  U2 Joshua Tree tour 1987;  Joe Satriani '88;  Jimmy Page '88;  Robert Plant '87;  AC/DC & Yngwie 1986;  too many others to count ...

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 02:07
So many.

Magma, both shows last 2 years at Crocodile in Seattle.

Yes in the round, Union Tour, Oakland CA

Different shows amazing for different reasons. Haven't seen many performances I would classify as bad.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 03:23
John Cale Phoenix Festival, Long Marsden July 15 1994. 
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 03:27
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Non-prog, watching the Comsat Angels play again in 2009, 14 years after their last album in their hometown Sheffield for their 500 most devoted fans was a unique experience.
Most excellent band. Approve

I saw the Comsats at Leicester Poly in '81 supported by some little known Irish band called U2.
What?
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 06:38
Believe it or not the single best rock performance (and I've been to more than a lot) I ever saw was the June 3, 1973, Alice Cooper "Billion Dollar Babies" concert at Madison Square Garden in New York City.  The guitarsmenship Glen Buxton & Michael Bruce displayed that day was awesome.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 23:00
Magma, 2010
King Crimson, 2008
Magma, 2015 (?)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 11:57
1.  Myths & Legends (Wakeman)
2.  The Wall (Floyd)
3.  Similitude of a Dream (Morse)
4.  Beat (Crimson)
5.  Going for the One (Yes)
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 12:42
I think the first concerts of your youth are special: 40 years ago I started going to gigs on a regular basis from the age of 14.  In 77, I saw Genesis (Wind and Wuthering), Henry Cow - twice, Peter Gabriel (first solo tour), Hawkwind (Quark), Yes (Going for the One) and Fairport Convention...all wonderful!!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 15:16
There's been a lot of them. I do remember in particular Devo in Bakersfield back in '81. When they were done with selections from that year's album and some of their hits, they did a few of their own brand of American rock and roll jams that were blistering. Quite impressive really, and a band that was at its zenith point for my money-their album with Eno producing notwithstanding.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 19:15
Dylan
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 14:05
In approximate order:
1/Quicksilver Messenger Service, Fillmore East, 1 November, 1968
2/Henry Cow, ICA(?), Brussels, 20 June, 1974 - opening for Beefheart during the unfortunate Mercury Records period - however:
3/Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band, Unganos, NYC, either 26 or 27 January, 1971
4/Magma, Trianon, Paris, 13 May, 2000 (I went to all 3 shows, and it's really a tossup)
5/Ayers/Cale/Eno/Nico, Rainbow Theatre, London, 1 June, 1974 (yes, I was there, 4th row center)
6/Television, CBGBs, NYC, 15 June, 1975 & multiple other dates in '75/'76
7/The Alice Cooper Band, Max's Kansas City, NYC, June(?), 1970 (Easy Action tour)
8/David Bowie, Carnegie Hall, NYC, 28 September, 1972
9/King Crimson, Count Basie Theater, Red Bank, NJ, 6 June, 1995
10/Big Brother and the Holding Company/Tim Buckley/Albert King, Fillmore East, NYC, 8 March, 1968
11/Snakefinger, The Ritz, NYC, 3 May, 1987
12/Pere Ubu/John Cale, The Ritz, some time in 1988 or 1989, Chris Cutler joined Scott Krauss on drums
Honorable mention:  Grateful Dead '68/'69, Jefferson Airplane '68/'69, Talking Heads '75, The Clash '78/'79, The Mekons '89/'90
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 16:09
I don't remember the years I saw these show due to a leaky brain but the artists were as follows:

Rush - Hold Your Fire tour
Morrisey - San Francisco about ten years ago
The Cure - Disintegration tour in a small club that only fit 400 people
Judas Priest - Judas is Rising Tour
St. Vitus
Pentagram about 6 mo. ago. 
Yob - Catharsis tour
Agalloch - first tour that came through SF
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 18:26
My brain ain't that hot, either, so I depend a lot on various internet sites.  There's a Fillmore East showlist site, a Captain Beefheart concert list and, if all else fails, setlist.fm.  I start with vague memories ("Bowie, Carnegie, maybe '72 or '73") and narrow down the search.  I know I saw Henry Cow/Beefheart in Brussels, and I'd only been in Brussels in '74 before several trips in the '90s.  I found that date on the Beefheart list (with the wrong venue, Guy Segars from Univers Zero was also at the show and he swears it was @ the ICA).
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 19:50
Here's a dozen, in no particular order and strictly from what I could recall...

Pink Floyd, In the Flesh Tour
Jethro Tull, Songs from the Wood Tour
Neil Young, Rust Never Sleeps Tour
Alice Cooper, School's Out Tour
Genesis, Seconds Out Tour
David Bowie, Diamond Dogs Tour
Black Sabbath, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath Tour
Yes, Going for the One Tour
Yes, Union Tour (in the round)
Pink Floyd, The Division Bell Tour
Paul Simon, Graceland Tour
Peter Gabriel, Back to Front Tour

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 20:06
Impossible to state one as I get different things from different gigs

Rainbow - Difficult To Cure - Leeds Queens Hall - my first ever gig
Univers Zero supported by Miriodor - French Embassy DC '10
Magma - RIO Festival - '12? First time I saw them
Motorhead - Mayfair Newcastle 80's - wall of noise
Leonard Cohen - Birmingham 80's - beautiful
King Crimson - NYC '10 - first time I saw them
Once Upon A Time In Belgium - UZ/Present/Aranis at RIO in 10
Knifeworld - London '17 - tiny pub great gig
Nik Bartsch Mobile - NYC '16

So many more

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 20:47
I don't remember much of the music per-se, but performance-wise I'll never forget Sleep Chamber in '88. The level of debauchery and S&M combined with industrial tool instruments sure in hell opened my virgin eyes like a fresh-faced pup being dragged into the urban underworld.

The Butthole Surfers, also in '88, was pretty wild. One of the opening acts had this Asian girl who would perpetually scream her brains out like a monster seagull while the band played swirly reverbed no-wave rock. Probably awful on record, but live it was kinda mesmerizing. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>