Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Live Performance You Have Ever Seen!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 00:45
In the early seventies...

Thin Lizzy - Long Beach Auditorium 
Beck, Bogert & Appice - The Swing Auditorium
Rolling Stones - Forum
Johnny Winter - The Hollywood Palladium 
Jethro Tull, Robin Trower, Rory Gallagher - LA Coliseum 
The Kinks - Santa Monica Civic Auditorium 

Procol Harum - Palm Springs Pop Festival  '68
Alice Cooper - Whiskey A Go Go  '69
Tyler2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 05:52
I may be bias, but Rush is the greatest band of all time. They kick f**king ass live, and there is no better band than Rush live. They have high energy, sound great, and have never had a bad show. I have seen Rush live 12 times, but the greatest show that I have seen is Rush in Philadelphia during the R40 tour. There was a lot of energy, they sounded great, and you can not beat a set list that spans through their whole career and ends with Natural science, Jacobs ladder, Hemispheres, Cygnus X1, Xanadu, and 2112 all in a row.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 09:56
Faust - I stood front and centre, about 6 feet from the chainsaw action
rotten hound of the burnie crew
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 08:01
Hi,

I don't have a favorite ... but many things stand out.

Nektar - first US tour at the Santa Monica Civic

Hawkwind - Space Ritual Tour when it first came out, also at the Santa Monica Civic

Pink Floyd - 1972 Live at the Hollywood Bowl, in the days of the QUAD sound, and its beauty.

Tangerine Dream at the Greek Theater - On the album USA Live with pictures of the trees on fire by the lazers ... awesome!

Mississipi Charles Bevel - Outstanding voice and beautiful material by a guy that disdained the music business and continued working as a technician for the LA based KPFK. Like the other friends of theirs from there, The Firesign Theater, the material was excellent and well presented and totally out-a-sight!

King Crimson - Seattle 2015 With the 3 drummers, and my eyes closed, the whole thing was experiencially ... nirvana! You have to learn to fly with music, and this did not disappoint in any way. The only thing missing? Some "No Pussyfooting" material ... for the inner quiet!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 08:13
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Nektar - first US tour at the Santa Monica Civic

Hawkwind - Space Ritual Tour when it first came out, also at the Santa Monica Civic

]
Those two at the now practically abandoned 'Civic. That must have been grand.

Edited by Rednight - April 18 2017 at 08:14
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prog4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 01:20
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Here's a dozen, in no particular order and strictly from what I could recall...

Pink Floyd, In the Flesh Tour
Jethro Tull, Songs from the Wood Tour
Neil Young, Rust Never Sleeps Tour
Alice Cooper, School's Out Tour
Genesis, Seconds Out Tour
David Bowie, Diamond Dogs Tour
Black Sabbath, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath Tour
Yes, Going for the One Tour
Yes, Union Tour (in the round)
Pink Floyd, The Division Bell Tour
Paul Simon, Graceland Tour
Peter Gabriel, Back to Front Tour

Three of those stand out in my memory: Yes - GFTO (LA Forum); Tull - SftW (Long Beach Arena); Gabriel (Greek Theatre)...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 08:46
Rush '78-79? Hemispheres Tour, LA
Rush, '90, Presto Tour, Largo MD
Rush '07, S&A Tour, Seattle
Scorpions '82 Blackout Tour, Orange County
Scorpions '83, US Festival Heavy Metal Sunday, San Bernardino
Iron Maiden '85?, Powerslave Tour, New Orleans
Parliament '77?, P-Funk Tour, LA
Earth, Wind & Fire, all shows, Seattle, LA, New Orleans

HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 10:03
Between the Buried and Me playing all of Coma Ecliptic at the Phoenix Concert Theatre.

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - May 18 2017 at 10:03
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Ethos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 14:34
Transatlantic Whirlwind Tour in San Francisco, Peter Gabriel live at the Roxy in Los Angeles, Gentle Giant at the Roxy in Los Angeles, Steve Hackett at the University of Washington in a lecture hall.  Umphry's McGee in Seattle 2016
"As sure as Eggs is Eggs."
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 04:07
^I too saw Gabriel at L.A.'s Roxy for the "Scratch" tour in '78. It was touted as the only SoCal appearance at the time, so some buddies and I drove up from San Diego in the middle of the night to get in this huge line for tickets winding up the hill in a lot behind the venue the next day. I went with a girlfriend at the time the night of the show, but we had been running late that evening and were actually seated on some band equipment cases lining one wall of the place. We had an obstructed view of the stage and couldn't see Gabriel's drummer (it was that sad). All in all, an awkward night. Some months later, an extra tour stop was added at some theater in downtown San Diego, making me feel kind of foolish for the hassle I'd endured for the L.A. show, but that second show was somewhat lackluster compared to the Roxy performance. Later in the '80s, I'd be walking out of Gabriel show encores when the band would strike up Biko, my fascination with Gabriel waning at that point.

Edited by Rednight - June 09 2017 at 04:11
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AndyWalkman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWalkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 08:08
I listen 99% guitar based music, but Prodigy in Helsinki on their Invaders Must Die tour was truly amazing.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 11:40
Several:

A Peter Hammill solo concert at the Zeche in Bochum. Hammill had already given 5 encores, and the roadies were already clearing the stage, but the audience still wanted more. Then he reappeared on stage with a towel around his neck. The instruments, amps and mics had already been removed from stage. Hammill went to the very front and gave a heartbreaking rendition of "Again", without any instrumental or technical support. The audience was absolutely silent, but when he finished there was a thundering applause. It was a moment of pure magic. Nobody wanted another encore; this simply could not be topped.

Magma at the Alter Wartesaal in Cologne. Vander did at first only sing and play piano, and some other guy played drums. After about half an hour that drummer and Vander swapped seats, and suddenly the drums were double as loud. At one point Vander broke into a solo, and I looked at the wall clock; I wanted to know how long his solo would be. When he finally finished it 45 minutes had passed, and the amazing thing is that not one second of that ultra-long solo was boring.

Edited by BaldFriede - August 04 2019 at 16:05

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Greys0n View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greys0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 04:50
It was The Weeknd. I love his songs. I was looking for his concert schedule in 2017 and found out that he is going to perform in Lollapalooza festival. I and my friends have already bought tickets here and can't wait for it. PS Muse must be there too.
skog_prog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skog_prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 18:36
Anglagard at the Majestic Theater in Gettysburg 2017. Absolutely incredible show!!!! Really powerful performance 
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 18:56
I was in the 2nd row for Rush's Snakes & Arrows tour. I looked like one of those ladies from the early 90s when Michael Jackson came on stage, all tears and snot LOL But that's to be expected.

Hmm, there's been so many! I think the most memorable for myself wasn't prog at all, but watching Gogol Bordello open for System of a Down as incredible! They had half the stage and packed 9 musicians onto it. So much energy, the lead singer was doing dive-rolls over one of the percussionists.

and that's awesome, because System of a Down as terrible Dead I loved them as a kid, but their last tour felt so forced. They stood on 4 corners of the stage and had no interaction with one another.

Mastodon put on an awesome show when they opened for Opeth in 2012. I wish it had been an open venue and not a theater, but the light show definitely made up for it.

Muse put on a great show when I saw them in 2013 on their 2nd Law tour. So much pomp and bombast in the stage and lighting rigs.

Mother Mother really blew me away when I saw them this year. They were able to segue out of their big hits and into really wonderful covers of songs like Dazed & Confused and The Ace of Spades. Kept me on my toes, I like that. Anyone who thinks they are just a pop-rock band should really see them live before committing to an opinion on them.

Finally (many omitted), honorable mention to Turisas. I saw them in a little dive venue and had never heard of them before. When I showed up there was a whole legion of fans in armour and regalia. It was an awesome show and an awesome mosh-pit. The kind where someone will knock you over, pick you back up again, pour fake blood over your head and then put up the horns and scream with you along to the music. Just great Clap

Edited by Queen By-Tor - July 22 2017 at 18:57
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 19:53
Hi,

A couple of honorable mentions ... stuff that gets over looked and left behind, but makes things a treat all the same.

Porcupine Tree - SF 1999 at the Prog Festival. Richard's Prophet 5 took a spill on the way to the venue, and at 1 or 2 PM there were several folks working on the floor in the back area, trying to find the problem and why it was not working. They could not find anything, and while the show was on, Richard spent several hours back stage, working several synths to cover the missing huge sound that was a part of the band. Their show was magnificent ... and while at the time I did not know the music as well, the sound of it was totally incredible, and only ruined by a stupid roadie upset that the band sound 2nd rate, when they were amazingly professional and totally in tune and touch with their material. I, and one other person, finally asked the roadie to leave the theater and go take a pee somewhere else.

Lana Lane and the Rocket Scientists - SF 1999 at the same Prog Festival, but the day before, as they opened the whole thing. They put on an amazingly professional, tight and incredibly good show, and deserved a lot more attention than some comments ... too much metal on their sound ... that sadly took away, what probably was the cleanest and best performance of the whole festival, that was never acknowledged.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 21:12
King Crimson's current tour should be going into the top concerts seen by most who have attended them, so if anyone still hasn't seen this tour and still has the chance, just take it.
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 09:38
I don't know if this is the BEST exactly (I saw the Floyd 3 times, Genesis 6 times, The Who 7 times, etc, and they were all amazing) but possibly the most memorable was Grateful Dead's 5-hour set at the Bickershaw Festival in 1972, where Captain Beefheart also played one  of his best ever sets.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 22:00
Saw Rog yesterday and really my big suprise, it was the best gig I`ve ever seen! I donīt think nothing can go closer to Pink Floyd these days, all I can say he and heīs band was amazing!
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 22:25
Saw Phish one night of Baker's Dozen, which was pretty amazing.

Also was at the very front of the pit for Plini, Intervals, and Animals as Leaders all in one show.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>