Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Live Performance You Have Ever Seen!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 18:42
It was Magma at the Psycho Las Vegas festival, 2017--by a long shot!

Why?  Well, partly because I was able to get right near the front where an extraordinary thing happened that I still don't fully understand. I got so caught up in the energy of the performance that I felt myself lifting, especially my insides, as if the sound was actually physically affecting me. The hour-long performance reached a kind of climax, then ended rather abruptly, and when it did, I felt my innards "collapse" again, so I had to walk around holding my (then aching) stomach, and wondering: "Whoa! What just happened??"

I knew I wasn't the only one affected, as I saw a big guy, probably a little drunk/high push his way to the front, and at the end exclaimed emphatically WHAT...WAS...THAT!

Anyway, I've enjoyed a lot of live performances, but nothing else like this has ever happened before or since.  Magma has become my fave band to watch live (videos and such), esp. as Vander really gets into "the zone" more than any other drummer I've seen.

Z
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 18:45
unfortunately Vander can drum no longer

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 18:52
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Yeah, bummer. I guess he only did vocals on their last album.  Plenty great vids online of him doing his thing though!
Z
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 20:34
At one Magma concert I attended Vander did a 45 minutes drum solo that was not boring for a second.

Edited by BaldFriede - February 26 2020 at 20:35

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 00:43
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

What do you mean by that? Is there a source or an interview where that was stated? I have seen videos of him live drumming as late as October on tour. There are new shows scheduled and I have not seen a replacement drummer listed.
It's my understanding he brought Morgan Ågren in for Zess because they were recording it 'live' and he wanted to concentrate on his vocal parts. Am I completely off base here?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 04:19
Doctors forbade him to drum because his cervical vertebrae are severely damaged. You may remember that Vander shakes his head violently while drumming.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 07:00
Is there a source for that? Nothing on their website or Google searches. Like I said, full tour schedule in March indicates he isn't really slowing down.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 11:40
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Is there a source for that? Nothing on their website or Google searches. Like I said, full tour schedule in March indicates he isn't really slowing down.

It was mentioned in some video about "Zëss" (on which Vander only sings).

Edited by BaldFriede - February 27 2020 at 11:41

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 14:18
Other great live performances I have seen were all three Barbara Dennerlein concerts Jean and I attended. For the last one our daughters Alice and Dorothy and Jean's sister Bea went along, and they were enthusiastic about the experience too.

And then there was a fantastic concert of Rabih Abou-Khalil that Jean and I attended once.

The reunion concert of Van der Graaf Generator was great too. In my opinion "Lemmings", "(In the) Black Hole" and "Killer" were the highlights of this concert.

We saw a lot of Hawkwind concerts. They are pretty much hit and miss, but on a good day a Hawkwind concert is a stellar experience.

We saw Magma many times too, and they were always great. The Magma concert with the 45 minutes drum solo took place before I met Jean.

We also saw the United Jazz and Rock Ensemble in the late 90s; that was also an awesome experience.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 14:48
5 days ago... still drumming man...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 14:58
Well, maybe his neck problems are gone then. They were definitely there when "Zëss" was recorded; it is the reason Vander doesn't drum on that album. Or Vander thinks "Zobez les docteurs; je mourrai sur scène." ("F*** the doctors; I'll die on stage").

Edited by BaldFriede - February 27 2020 at 15:08

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 16:04
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Surely Bruce Springsteen, great rock for four hours. 

the Boss kicks ass, saw him with Amnesty in '88 and blew away Peter Gabriel, Tracy Chapman, and Sting .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:45
For me, some of the most memorable performances :

- Pallas, difficult to chose between the 1986 (with IQ) or the 1988 (with Multi Story, who remembers them?) gig, both in Paradiso, Amsterdam.
- Yes, the Magnification/Symphonic Live tour, 2001 in Amsterdam, where they recorded for the DVD. The Union tour, which I saw in Rotterdam in 1991 (?) was rather special too.
- King Crimson, 2016 in Marseille.
- ELP, 1992 in The Hague, also because I thought it would be a first and last chance to see them live again; they were in splendid form.
- IQ, 1993 in Kleve (which led to the Forever Live album and VHS, later DVD); three encores of which the last one was more or less acoustic since the crew already stripped down some of the equipment...

Also good memories of a Saga concert (in The Hague, don't remember the year).

Edited by suitkees - July 21 2020 at 10:46

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:30
Grateful Dead shows were a gas - from the gettng there to the parking lot scene to the groovy music to the post-show chill out to the fun of getting to the next show.  I followed them on East Coast tours from 1983-86, my last show being the July '86 RFK shows where Jerry went into a coma.  The last couple of shows were so bad that I stopped going......but looking back, even at their lowest, they were still some of the spaciest, proggiest, grooviest shows I've ever attended.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 05:40
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Well, maybe his neck problems are gone then. They were definitely there when "Zëss" was recorded; it is the reason Vander doesn't drum on that album. Or Vander thinks "Zobez les docteurs; je mourrai sur scène." ("F*** the doctors; I'll die on stage").

Hi,

Given what he does do vocally in that piece, there is no way he could have paid that much attention to the vocals and drum at the same time, and I think that Vander realized that ... but in all honesty, the vocals in this piece are so far and away one of the best things ever, and PROBABLY gives you a better idea of what Vander has been trying to do with the group for a long time ... but, so far, only he has been able to do this ... and pull off an amazing performance at that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 15:33
Tough this. Right.
Rush 2112 tour 76 hammy odeon
Rush hemispheres tour 78 hammy odeon
Led zep knebworth 79
Thin lizzy hammy odeon jailbreak tour 76
Robin Trower somewhere in London I was blitzed.
Yes GFTO Wembley 77
Gabriel Brighton dome 77
UFO hammy odeon 77
Floyd empire pool 77
Marillion fugazi tour southend cliffs pavillion 84
Sabbath/ van halen hammy odeon 78
Al Stewart Astoria 98
Styx hammy odeon 80
Hawkwind ilford odeon 78
Scorpions lovedrive tour hammy odeon 79
Rainbow Wembley long li e rock and roll tour - a riot.

Special mention to wishbone ash, the earth band, AC/DC and BJH who were excellent.

I have an everlasting hatred of myself for as a young man being coerced by friends to spending what little money I had on tickets for the 76 stones tour rather than the genesis tour I had earmarked for this saved cash. The stones were crap with a capital S*** and I missed the tott tour.

There are many bands that I saw and found mediocre like Reo Speed wagon, roxy,BOC, Aerosmith, Judas Priest, Budgie. There are others like foreigner and journey who were good but the material was not my cup of tea.
And there were those that stunk like the stones.

Edited by Earl of Mar - September 08 2020 at 15:35
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 20:38
Saw some great acts at Indiana University Bloomington in the old days ..one of the best was James Gang ,Dec 1971. Front row lower balcony....great seats. Walsh at  his best.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dan_Migel123 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan_Migel123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 12:24
justin bieber. I love him. He is the best Singer in the universe and his live performance is best i saw ever.Smile
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 15:07
1.  Tangerine Dream - 1986
2.  Magma - 2015
3.  Jean-Michel Jarre - 2017
4.  Camel - 1997
5.  Porcupine Tree - 2009

Notable mentions:  Yes, Jethro Tull, John Renbourn, Michael Hedges, Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Laurie Anderson, Kraftwerk, Marillion...

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 01 2020 at 15:08
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 21:56
I'm jealous of all of you! The only prog band i've seen is Dream Theater, and I really didn't enjoy the show due to a ridiculously loud and muddy mix (Distance Over Time tour). However, i'm very happy to have seen the prog metal legends in the flesh. My favorite shows i've ever seen are Australian Pink Floyd, Elton John, Weird Al Yankovic and Dennis Deyoung. I've also seen a multitude of Chicago shows and i've loved every one of them. They were my introduction to music when I was very little and they still hold a special place in my heart (the early stuff though Approve)

I'm too young to have caught some of the legends playing live.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - October 01 2020 at 21:58
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>