Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Live Performance You Have Ever Seen!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 05:14
Not a concert-goer, for sure. However, of what I watched on screen, the best was GG's ZDF concert, fully captured on Giant On The Box DVD. Nothing to compare with. Tightness and creativity I have never witnessed before or after. Anyway, I don't think I'd like to visit the Three Friends concert in my locality or wherever else. The magic has gone forever. 

And I was of negative age back in the 1970s...Shocked
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 00:32
The single-best live performance by any band I've ever seen was Cky at the Paradise Rock Lounge in Boston back in 2010 (damn time flies)!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:36
Narrowed it down to 11:

1) Genesis: January 12, 1984 - Los Angeles Forum
2) Yes: March 26, 1984 - Los Angeles Forum
3) The Firm: May 23, 1986 - Costa Mesa Pacific Amphitheatre
4) Three: May 10, 1988 - After the Gold Rush, Tempe, AZ
5) Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe: September 6, 1989 - Los Angeles Greek Theatre
6) Eric Johnson: April 2, 1990 - The Roxy, Hollywood
7) Mike Oldfield: October 8, 1993 - Ford Theatre, Hollywood
8) Traffic: June 10, 1994 - Universal Amphitheatre, Universal City
9) U.F.O.: August 4, 1995 - The Palace, Hollywood
10) Asia: May 4, 2008 - The Coach House, San Juan Capistrano
11) U.K.: May 20, 2012 - El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles 
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 18:07
Good question. I can recall a particularly amazing performance by the Aarhus Symphony Orchestra some 10 years ago when they played Hector Berlioz - "Symphonie Fantastique".
kebjourman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebjourman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 14:02
Honestly, Acid Mothers Temple totally blew my mind on March 26th 2008 at the Middle East in Boston, Massachusetts.  Right up there though were 2 different performances that I saw by Cowboy Band- an incredible trio that covered old American hobo and cowboy folk songs in a ripping Beefheart-esque style. Amazing drummer. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 08:32
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Narrowed it down to 11:

1) Genesis: January 12, 1984 - Los Angeles Forum
2) Yes: March 26, 1984 - Los Angeles Forum
3) The Firm: May 23, 1986 - Costa Mesa Pacific Amphitheatre
4) Three: May 10, 1988 - After the Gold Rush, Tempe, AZ
5) Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe: September 6, 1989 - Los Angeles Greek Theatre
6) Eric Johnson: April 2, 1990 - The Roxy, Hollywood
7) Mike Oldfield: October 8, 1993 - Ford Theatre, Hollywood
8) Traffic: June 10, 1994 - Universal Amphitheatre, Universal City
9) U.F.O.: August 4, 1995 - The Palace, Hollywood
10) Asia: May 4, 2008 - The Coach House, San Juan Capistrano
11) U.K.: May 20, 2012 - El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles 
You saw Asia at 'Capistrano and UK at the El Rey'. That's huge. I was with you at the Greek' for ABWH.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 08:56
This is an old thread so I've probably already said this but I can't be *rsed to check back through 7 pages.

I've seen McCartney, Wonder, Springsteen, Dylan, Page, Plant, Yes, Genesis, ELP and many others but the one gig that eclipses all these is Kate Bush at Hammersmith Odeon in 2014. More than just a live music show, this was a complete event and it's the best thing I've ever been to.

EDIT - I already said this on page 4, but never mind, my opinion hasn't changed.

Edited by chopper - January 13 2021 at 09:09
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 09:05
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Kate Bush/Peter Gabriel - November 1978 - Nancy, France - “Scratches” tour (Peter was sitting right behind me during Kate’s set! Sid McGinnis was awesome! Robert “Dusty Roads” Fripp played, anonymously from behind the stacks.)

Anyone know any more about this? It's before the Tour of Life, I wasn't aware she'd done any other gigs prior to that.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:08
Rush hammy odeon in 78.
UFO hammy odeon in 79
Led Zep at knebworth.
Marillion southend 84
Black Sabbath/ Van Halen Rainbow 78
Pink Floyd wembley 77

Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:14
Oh I forgot
Peter Gabriel Brighto Dome 77.
I won tickets from one of the music papers, when I got there my tickets were in an envelope with a backstage pass to see PG. Had a 10 minute very nervous chat and then went and had a gallon of booze afterwards to calm my nerves. Funnily I saw him again in a restaurant in Bath, he was having dinner with curt Smith from Tears for Fears ( no I didnt ask him if he remembered a meeting with me).
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 03:54
Some of the best ever:

King's X (with Galactic Cowboys as excellent support) at The Astoria in London, 1989 I think.  What a phenomenal live band!

Roger Waters doing The Wall at Wembley Stadium.

Cellar Darling at The Globe In Cardiff, 2019 - just stunning!

Ghost, also in Cardiff in 2019, never known an atmosphere like it, and what a show!!

Nightwish at Wembley Arena in 2015, with Prof. Dawkins in support!

But if I have to pick one performance, it's Marillion at The Royal Albert Hall back in 2017 (the first time they played there).  The first gig I went to after my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, and was going through chemo.  I drank far too much (very expensive!) wine and blubbed my way through virtually the whole set, with my sister (a Marillion virgin at the time) and a good friend for support.  What a night of incredible songs.....
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 04:41
Gigs that really stand out for me:

1) Pink Floyd at Earls Court, London, 1994
2) Curved Air at Manchester University, 1974
3) Camel at Manchester University, 1975 (when they were promoting the Snow Goose and played it in its entirety for the second half of the show).
4) Suzanne Vega at UEA, Norwich, 1996
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 06:17
ELP - Cobo Hall, Detroit 1977
Peter Gabriel - Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto 1986
Genesis - London Arena, London 1976
David Bowie - CNE Exhibition Stadium, Toronto 1983
Asia - Alumni Hall, London 1982

Edited by JD - May 13 2021 at 06:18
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 07:51
U2 in 2006, Roger Waters in 2007, Depeche Mode in 2009, Iron Maiden in 2011, Jethro Tull in 2011, David Gilmour in 2015 and King Crimson in 2019. A few others probably, but those are the ones that stand out the most. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 11:05
The Residents. I saw them in 1986 during their 13th Anniversary Tour in Sydney. I was at the very front of the audience and got to see the members quite closely. Also, I got to see Snakefinger, who died the following year (R.I.P.).

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 09:32
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

In approximate order:
1/Quicksilver Messenger Service, Fillmore East, 1 November, 1968
10/Big Brother and the Holding Company/Tim Buckley/Albert King, Fillmore East, NYC, 8 March, 1968

Hi,

So few people mention things like this, and how incredible some of these performances are, many of which can be found on a CD these days. Not mentioned but more than likely also worthy of mention would be the Grateful Dead, whose machinery continues to be totally ignored. And they were the ones that never stopped doing long cuts, even though some other bands ended up "doing better".

When you see some things, like Santana ripping up STAMPING GROUND, and some other bands doing their thing on stage, we forget how much we owe these folks during the height of the psychedelic times so much credit for their work.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 17:44
I would now add King Crimson (Bournemouth 2018?) to my previous list that included Kansas , Mountain and ELP.  3 Drummers at the front of the stage and just the best music any band can draw on. 
Also an honourable mention to Australian Pink Floyd who rival KC for being the ultimate professional band and never disappoint. 

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 17:49
I recall an Aarhus Symphony Orchestra performance of Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique some 10 years ago as almost magical.

Apart from that: Erykah Badu at the 2002 Roskilde Festival...
TheEliteExtremophile View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEliteExtremophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 16:17
Some of the ones which really stand out to me:

Magma in 2016 - They put on one hell of an energetic show, but they had the **longest** break between their main set and their encore. I almost left, thinking they were done.
Rush in 2011 - They played Moving Pictures in its entirety, which was pretty cool.
Nick Mason in 2019 - I love early Pink Floyd, so it was cool getting to see that, especially stuff like "The Nile Song" and (an abbreviated) "Atom Heart Mother Suite". I just wish his merch were less expensive. $60 for a t-shirt, and $100 for a sweatshirt!
Moonsorrow in 2011 - This is probably my favorite metal show I've been to. I'm not even sure which specific songs they played off the top of my head, but they really knew how to work a crowd.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 21:55
Can't name any "best" show, but these were among the most memorable (between 1976 - 1990):

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe 1989?
Rush - Permanent Waves & Moving Pictures tours, early 80's
Rainbow - Long Live Rock n Roll tour (with Dio), front row 1978
Rainbow / Max Webster 1981-ish
Bogus "Deep Purple" with singer Rod Evans 1980
Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers (first reunion) 1984
Alcatraz with Yngwie Malmsteen, small club, up close
Iron Maiden - with original singer Paul Dianno (~1981-82)
Moraz & Bruford
Allan Holdsworth, smalll club
Kansas - Monolith tour (~1979)
Jethro Tull ~1978 (sat behind stage, great views of drummer Barriemore Barrow)

Edited by Boojieboy - September 28 2021 at 08:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>