FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 03:58
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

wiki: Herd mentality, or mob mentality, describes how people are influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors. Examples of the herd mentality include stock market trends, superstition and home décor. Social psychologists study the related topics of group intelligencecrowd wisdom, and decentralized decision making.
Anyhow, I think the point is clear.
Image result for pics of sports fans chanting
I'm quite tired of this inane discussion. If it's your prerogative to conflate Mob Mentality, pictured above, that is prevalent in all societies, with Mob Rules and Mob Violence, you are free to continue. Or you could actually study sociology in depth and learn the differences instead of posting some catchall nonsense definition from wiki. Your choice.

Edited by SteveG - February 17 2017 at 04:15
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:10
Heck I don't know, I'm no native speaker and I'm just trying to say they have their mind set to banding together as 'the people' to focus on a common enimy, I thought mob mentality was a good term for that, I looked it up and yes, it seems like it's not semantically wrong to use there, I don't know exactly if it has a positive or negative connotation or stuff like that, I even tried to clarify what I meant in others words in other posts... I don't  wanna have this discussion either, that's why I closed the post you're quoting with 'Anyhow, I think the point is clear.'
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:20
Well, why do you come on the thread if you don't like the thread? I don't get it  Getting back to the thread. Looks like Don is just going to become a one man government.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:38

I love the thread. It's some of the annoying ''I must have the last word" posts that bother me. If you can't grasp that, then feel free to check out anytime.

Edited by SteveG - February 17 2017 at 06:39
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:57
My English must be worse than I thought... It's a great thread, and that's why I don't wanna fill with this useless discussion about what 'mob mentality' means. You know full wel what I meant to say, and I still don't really understand how my usage was incorrect but I have rephrased it and exemplified it and I would prefer it that you get off my back about it and instead respond to actual discussion points rather than semantic issues.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 07:59

My English must be worse than I thought... It's a great thread, and that's why I don't wanna fill with this useless discussion about what 'mob mentality' means. You know full wel what I meant to say, and I still don't really understand how my usage was incorrect but I have rephrased it and exemplified it and I would prefer it that you get off my back about it and instead respond to actual discussion points rather than semantic issues.
My English is not too brisk either. Just ask Dean and I'm sure he could count the ways.

Let's chalk this up to mutual miscommunication and I'll even throw in an apology to help us move on. Agreed?

Edited by SteveG - February 17 2017 at 08:08
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:50
Saw this in CNN this morning and it sums things up:

"The people that love him will love him more, the people that hate him will hate him more and the people in the middle probably will look at it the way that we look at in Congress, which is that's just the new normal. That's just the s*** that happens. I don't know how else to manage it," said one Republican lawmaker after Trump's press conference. "We're just trying to manage this s***."
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 09:34
Sounds as if the GOP is in the position of Goethe's "Sorcerer's Apprentice":

"Ach, da ist der Meister!
Herr, die Not ist groß!
Die ich rief, die Geister,
Werd ich nun nicht los"

In my translation:

"Ah, there is the Master!
Lord, the need is dire!
Ghosts I called as caster
Now just won't retire".

They called Trump, and now they can't get rid of him

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 10:27
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

My English is not too brisk either. Just ask Dean and I'm sure he could count the ways.

Let's chalk this up to mutual miscommunication and I'll even throw in an apology to help us move on. Agreed?
Sure, apologies.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 08:36
lmao...

America.. get to know your 25th Amendment... perhaps coming soon to a history book near you.

Edited by micky - February 18 2017 at 08:40
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 08:42
quote of the week.. as our President escaped Washington to his first reelection rally...

“There’s a campaign mode and there’s a governing mode. So far, we haven’t gotten to the governing mode," said Idaho Rep. Mike Simpson. “You often say to those that lose an election and can’t get over it, and you’ve heard him say to the Clinton supporter, ‘You lost, get over it!’ This is the first I’ve ever had to say to somebody, ‘You won, get over it!’ He just can’t let it go.”
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 13:04
I think Trump is in governing mode.  He's put into law multiple bills, including a 5 year no lobbyists on Executive Branch.  I say that's a good thing.  If only Congress would pass a rule prohibiting lobbyists. 

Trump has already got several countries to pledge US investment.  Japan has already promised 50 Billion dollars.   Here is a link for those who wish to fact check.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/06/business/dealbook/donald-trump-mayayoshi-son-softbank.html?_r=0

The Stock Market is at an all time high.   That's great for American retirement accounts.  Stock Market prices are based on future optimism.  That's the way the Stock Market works.  How do I know?  I quit my Day Job 17 years ago to go full time trading the stock market.    

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 19 2017 at 13:09
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 13:07
Reince Priebus is a worm.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 13:10
[QUOTE=Atavachron]Reince Priebus is a worm.

I have my suspicions.  

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 22:40
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Looks like Don is just going to become a one man government.

Well...more like an oligarchy or juntaSmile
He, Bannon, Tillerson. Formerly Flynn but he's of course gone. 
It's an international oligarchy...the very thing people like Bannon and many Trumpers claim to hate: globalism, intl elites etc etc its happening. 

To the shock of no one with a working brain and unbiased eyes: A report drafted by 3 Trump buddies with strong Russian ties, developed a sealed envelope to him, a plan of peace with Russia, which included lifting the sanctions. This happened a week before Flynn resigned. 
So yeah, this really is an intl elite, globalist plot. Rich, connected people in the US and Russia are working to benefit themselves. The thing all these alt-righties claim to hate. 

Not that Bannon actually cares, he just wants "the left" (whatever he thinks that is) destroyed, and Isis destroyed. Putin is a fine ally in this regard and he has no care for democracy so all good.  Protecting Western culture from the barbarians at the gate is all that matters to him. Clearly Trump and his buds don't care. 

By the way the 3 people involved with this memo to Trump:
Michael Cohen: Trump's lawyer and has Russian ties/bias
Felix Sater: Friend, Russian businessman with links to the mafia (seriously!)
Andrii Artemenko: Pro Russian politician who went to the RNC to meet some of Trump's campaign. 

This is actually happeningLOLCryAngryDead

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 04:56
In an episode of the German edition of Donald Duck comics Donald had to admit he had suffered from meningitis as a child. Maybe Donald Trump is Donald Duck in disguise; at least his incoherent utterings aren't more intelligent than the utterings of a person who is suffering from the unlucky fate of having had meningitis. And you have to admit his mouth has a surprising and uncanny likeness to a duck bill when he speaks:

"Quack quack Sweden quack quack yesterday".

Actually it appears that Trump watched his favorite channel (FIX, I mean FOX, sorry, they don't fix news) and saw their feature of a documentary about immigrants to Sweden by director Ami Horowitz and how the rape rate has allegedly increased drastically over the last few years, which corresponded with an increase of immigrants, from which both Horowitz and FOX seemed to conclude that those immigrants committed the rapes. That's like concluding the stork brings the babies from the fact that both the stork population and the birth rate have increased during a specific period of time. Just because the results of two statistics coincide does by no means mean these statistics are correlated; it's one of the first things you learn when taking statistic lessons. And how the heck Trump concluded that all these rapes happened yesterday is beyond me.

Oh, and by the way: The legal definition of rape in Sweden is by no means the same as the legal definition of rape in the USA. The law defining rape is so complicated you have to study jurisprudence to understand it. An example (really true): If a couple has consensual sexual intercourse using a condom this consensual intercourse becomes rape if the condom slips off during the act. Yes, really true!

Edited by BaldFriede - February 20 2017 at 07:42

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 08:55
Since Sweden opened their borders to Refugees the rape rate has risen 1472%.   Sweden has the 2nd highest rape rate in the world.   Perhaps Trump got the date and time wrong.  Trump did not get the refugee Sweden Rape crisis wrong.   Forget last night in Sweden, instead remember the last few disastrous, rape-ridden years.  Islamic refugees in Sweden live-streamed their gang rape on Facebook!  Who cares what day of the week it happened? 

The following video was made a Swedish citizen, who came to Sweden when he was a Bosnian child refugee.  He candidly talks about the Swedish Refugee Rape problem. 

A YouTube search of "Sweden rape"  will net you 193,000 results; of those results,  90% are videos addressing the Swedish Refugee Rape Crisis.    Swedish citizens view the refugee rape crisis differently from Swedish politicians and media.  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 20 2017 at 10:11
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 09:38
There is little doubt that there is at least the perception of a large increase in reported sexual attacks in both Sweden and Germany, both countries which have had large increases in net migration. Note I said at least a perception. I do not live in either country, so cannot really comment on the facts, but I do know there is one hell of a lot of disquiet.

No smoke without fire?............
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 10:01
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I think Trump is in governing mode.  He's put into law multiple bills, including a 5 year no lobbyists on Executive Branch.  I say that's a good thing.  If only Congress would pass a rule prohibiting lobbyists. 

Trump has already got several countries to pledge US investment.  Japan has already promised 50 Billion dollars.   Here is a link for those who wish to fact check.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/06/business/dealbook/donald-trump-mayayoshi-son-softbank.html?_r=0

The Stock Market is at an all time high.   That's great for American retirement accounts.  Stock Market prices are based on future optimism.  That's the way the Stock Market works.  How do I know?  I quit my Day Job 17 years ago to go full time trading the stock market.    

Does the wall count as infrastructure?

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 10:18
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

The Stock Market is at an all time high.   That's   Stock Market prices are based on future optimism.  That's the way the Stock Market works.  How do I know?  I quit my Day Job 17 years ago to go full time trading the stock market.    

My, quite a rosy picture an apologist might paint. After all, we all know that high stock prices, like reducing taxes on the wealthiest percentile, brings back good-paying jobs. LOL

As far as being "great for American retirement accounts," I would suggest that Trump already beginning to gut the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (you know, the set of laws enacted when terrible Wall Street and bank practices caused the last depression) will jeopardize and eventually empty American's IRAs just like the last time there were no restraints on trading and banking.

"We expect to be cutting a lot out of Dodd-Frank,” Trump said during a meeting with business leaders earlier this month. “Because frankly, I have so many people, friends of mine, that had nice businesses, they just can’t borrow money . . . because the banks just won’t let them borrow because of the rules and regulations in Dodd- Frank.”

"Many people, friends of mine..." the very same a****les who destroyed the economy last time, and the very reason the law was enacted in the first place.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 434>