Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 15:36
I've been told that the security measures for Trump's weekends (Mar-a-Lago and golf) have cost the American tax payer more than the Meals on Wheels program. Can anyone confirm this?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 15:58
Yes. Confirmed. 

So does Melania's security in NY. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 04:19
So, how many days until Trump is impeached?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 22:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Sadly, probably never. Certainly not while the GOP owns Congress. 
But it does feel like the water going down a drain is circling closer and closer. 
Flynn is offering to testify before Congress, in exchange for immunity from prosecution. Super spicy stuff! We shall see what if anything comes from this. 

And just in case anyone wants to claim it's no big deal he's done nothing. Flynn's own words, on Sept 2016 to MSNBC: "When you are given immunity, that means you have probably committed a crime" LOL
Please, tell me this is a drug induced nightmare and I'll wake up soon. 

Even if by some miracle Trump is clean of all this, he doesn't deserve to be PotUS for being so woefully naive and incompetent he could allow such madness to happen. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 23:01
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Thanks for the explanations, guys. I hadn't realised that the Conservatives had become so disrupted since Bush's administration. I only really got interested in US internal politics since Trump's name suddenly came up last year, so there's a lot I have to catch up on.

Tis true. Like many many others, I am having a thought I never imagined I'd have in my life:
I miss BushLOL
OK OK not actually, he was a terrible President, but yes. In retrospect I would gladly take him and that strain of Republican a million times over. Since 2009 they have truly gone off the rails, each year going a little farther off until 2016 happened, which was the train crashing into a swamp. Disrupted is right! 

Though I've said this before, more I think back...I can see all the seeds there. Back in the good ol Bush days the immigration debate flared up, and he actually wanted a very moderate, reasonable solution. Many in his party rebelled and wanted round ups, deportations and a fence. This was 2006. 

There were all the cringey racial stuff that popped up during the Tea Party movement. For years they said "Why wont Obama say radical Islam!? He wont say Islam!". Of course hatred of government on principle, moral conservative values, disdain of science/the environment all this stuff has been around a while. Painful to say, and something no Repub is likely to admit: Trump is kind of just the culmination of their party's beliefs. They have ALL merged into this disaster we have. 

Edited by JJLehto - March 30 2017 at 23:02
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 12:36
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Sadly, probably never. Certainly not while the GOP owns Congress. 
But it does feel like the water going down a drain is circling closer and closer. 
Flynn is offering to testify before Congress, in exchange for immunity from prosecution. Super spicy stuff! We shall see what if anything comes from this. 

And just in case anyone wants to claim it's no big deal he's done nothing. Flynn's own words, on Sept 2016 to MSNBC: "When you are given immunity, that means you have probably committed a crime" LOL
Please, tell me this is a drug induced nightmare and I'll wake up soon. 

Even if by some miracle Trump is clean of all this, he doesn't deserve to be PotUS for being so woefully naive and incompetent he could allow such madness to happen. 
I hope you're right JJ. The idea of Mike Pence taking over if Trump gets dumped is too much to take. And that's after seeing what Trump can do! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 16:37
Meet the new boss same as the old boss

Edited by timothy leary - March 31 2017 at 16:39
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 18:24

January 2019 when the Democrats retake the House... Thumbs Up First thing they do most likely LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 18:28
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

or better...

people claim government is broken.. and does nothing.. yet continue to elect Republicans..

There's a book I'm on the verge of ordering. I've wanted to read it for some time now. It's called, What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America, by Thomas Frank. I heard the author speak a couple times a few years ago on C-Span about people voting against their interest. He had a lot of good insight. I have a lot of relatives in Kansas too.

He also (on TV) lamented the loss of blue collar liberals over the years, something which we could have used more of in the last election. I believe this is an issue he delves into in this book.

You'll have to let me know if you do and what he says....  I can save you a few dollars and answer that question.. the answer is obvious (for it not simply something unique to Kansas) and hit upon many times in these threads.... but I'd be curious to hear what he says.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 09:08

When Satan himself, former Vice President and all-around sinister politician Dick Cheney, stated, “There’s no question there was a very serious effort made by Mr. Putin and his government, his organization, to interfere in major ways with our basic fundamental democratic processes,” well, one should, as an American, ask yourself just what the hell is going on? But when Mr. Cheney added, “In some quarters, that would be considered an act of war,” one is no longer left with any doubt as to what Cheney and George W. Bush would have done if this sort of Russian attack happened during the Bush presidency: a direct threat of war against Moscow. Please take note of what Cheney meant: whether the attack was against Democrats or Republicans is immaterial; what the Russians did, in Cheney's estimation, amounted to an "act of war".

The only question now remaining is, what the hell has happened to the Republican Party and its President Donald J. Trump? Crickets. There has not been one damned negative response from the White House in regards to a proven and verified attack on U.S. democracy by the Russians (yes, it is proven and verified, as stated by FBI Director James Comey and every other national security channel). Not one negative response. In fact, Donald Trump and his administration have gone out of their way to welcome the attack, to strain our bonds with NATO and our allies, to weaken the State Department, and even going so far as to eliminate a plank from the Republican Party's platform regarding the sovereignty of Ukraine, along with clandestine attempts by Trump subordinates (most notably, Mr. Michael "Immunity-Man" Flynn) to subvert the sanctions leveled against Russia.

The attached Newsweek editorial notes with grim and explicit detail why every American should be deeply concerned about what has happened...

http://www.newsweek.com/quora-question-how-does-russia-benefit-trump-576990

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 14:23
Hold on there, how about some independent thinking.   The last thing I want a president to do is to start talking about "acts of war".   If that's the difference between Cheney and Trump, I'll take Trump in a New York minute.   I don't want a war president, and I certainly don't want a Military/Industrial Complex president fanning global conflict and intrigue.   'What the hell is going on' is, for some reason, maybe an illegitimate one, Trump has decided to not think of Russia as a dangerous enemy.   I'll take that over the strategic insanities of the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld era.

Now, if it turns out Trump was colluding with Russians to manipulate the election, he should be indicted and probably impeached.   But better a president is corrupt and be exposed than nuclear (or even conventional) standoffs with other countries.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 14:48
Yeah, with you on that David.....although I think they are starting to prepare us for a possible tango with NK....not good.  That is some scary sh*t. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 14:50
ohhhhh.... that was enough to get me to log in.

Disagree with you profoundly David.  I'll take bush and his incompetent and ideologically based Amercian exceptionalism ilk 7 days a week and twice on Sunday over the mental abyss Trump represents.

Bush was many things.. but a good man he was at heart.  Nothing of the same could be said of Trump.

and worse...  one can't blame the voters for electing Bush.  All the warning signs were on full dissplay before a single vote was cast in November. 

Trump.. and what he represents through his supports is far more dangerous to this country than Bush ever was.

Edited by micky - April 01 2017 at 14:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 14:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Hold on there, how about some independent thinking.   The last thing I want a president to do is to start talking about "acts of war".   If that's the difference between Cheney and Trump, I'll take Trump in a New York minute.   I don't want a war president, and I certainly don't want a Military/Industrial Complex president fanning global conflict and intrigue.   'What the hell is going on' is, for some reason, maybe an illegitimate one, Trump has decided to not think of Russia as a dangerous enemy.   I'll take that over the strategic insanities of the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld era.

Now, if it turns out Trump was colluding with Russians to manipulate the election, he should be indicted and probably impeached.   But better a president is corrupt and be exposed than nuclear (or even conventional) standoffs with other countries.

I disagree. The issue that you simply missed is not that Cheney would favor war or threaten war, but rather the complete disregard and utter lack of response by the Trump White House regarding a direct attack by the Russians; in fact, the attacks were not just ignored by Trump, but were on a few occasions welcomed by him -- which is not only without scruple but bordering on treason. Can you imagine Reagan, Nixon, GHW Bush or any other Republican president allowing or accepting such an attack? But what did Trump and his cronies do? Trump pretended they didn't exist (ignoring the entire U.S. security apparatus in the process), and his henchmen offered to lift unprecedented sanctions Obama put in place because of the Russian hacking.

The Russian attack, according to the FBI, CIA and NSA, favored Trump, whether he colluded or not. The actions of Trump indicate that he did collude or at least tacitly accepted Russian aid in winning the election.

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 01 2017 at 15:00
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 15:00
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Disagree with you profoundly David.  I'll take bush and his incompetent and ideologically based Amercian exceptionalism ilk 7 days a week and twice on Sunday over the mental abyss Trump represents.

Bush was many things.. but a good man he was at heart.  Nothing of the same could be said of Trump.

and worse...  one can't blame the voters for electing Bush.  All the warning signs were on full dissplay before a single vote was cast in November. 

Trump.. and what he represents through his supports is far more dangerous to this country than Bush ever was.

Bush is a good man at heart, you're right, and much smarter than he seemed.   He had awful judgement but no worse than Trump's. 

It's the warmongering Cheney/Rumsfeld mentality that so profoundly bothered me, the post WW II brotherhood that turned us into an industrial war state and probably quietly sanctioned the death of the Kennedy brothers.   In that light Trump is indeed an outsider.   In fact after Nixon, Ford and Reagan, Trump seems downright liberal.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 15:01
not to mention I"m still flabbergasted months later than Americans would not only condone.. but f**kING ELECT someone who encouraged not a only a foreign power to intervene in our election but a dangerous expansionst one completely at odds with the principals we supposedly hold so dear

so yeah...  Trump and the utter lack of any thought inherent in those that support him is FAR more dangerous than Darth Cheney and the neo-cons ever were.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 15:03
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I disagree. The issue that you simply missed is not that Cheney would favor war or threaten war, but rather the complete disregard and utter lack of response by the Trump White House regarding a direct attack by the Russians; in fact, the attacks were not just ignored by Trump, but were on a few occasions welcomed by him -- which is not only without scruple but bordering on treason. Can you imagine Reagan, Nixon, GHW Bush or any other Republican president allowing or accepting such an attack? But what did Trump and his cronies do? Trump pretended they didn't exist (ignoring the entire U.S. security apparatus in the process), and his henchmen offered to lift unprecedented sanctions Obama put in place because of the Russian hacking.

The Russian attack, according to the FBI, CIA and NSA, favored Trump, whether he colluded or not. The actions of Trump indicate that he did collude or at least tacitly accepted Russian aid in winning the election.

Sorry but that plays as nationalism, misled patriotism.   The Russians have been doing this for decades; where were the cons & neocons then?  

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 15:11

It's the warmongering Cheney/Rumsfeld mentality that so profoundly bothered me, the post WW II brotherhood that turned us into an industrial war state and probably quietly sanctioned the death of the Kennedy brothers.   In that light Trump is indeed an outsider.   In fact after Nixon, Ford and Reagan, Trump seems downright liberal.

I can emphasize with that thought David you old hippy you Heart.  Personally I have no problem with an industrial war state...  we are at war after all and it is still a very dangerous world out there.  The military and our ability to kick ass and bury our enemies is a profound ace up the sleeve when it comes to diplomacy and being leader of the free world and all that jazz.

The trick is...  one has to have the intelligence to wield the sword in the right place at the right time.  That was the tragic failure of Neo-conservatism

and one also needs the temperment and wisdom to do so.... and Trump has shown ZERO reasons why to think he posseses any trace amounts of either quality. 

IN that... Obama does not get enough respect for how he handled things in his 8 years. Granted he was left a giant sh*t sandwich by Bush. But he showed, in spades, intelligence, temperment and wisdom in foreign affairs.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 15:17
I have no doubt at all that Barack Obama will be remembered fondly (he already is), credited for everything he did, and be thought of very warmly by almost everyone.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 15:19

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Sorry but that plays as nationalism, misled patriotism.   The Russians have been doing this for decades; where were the cons & neocons then?  
When is it "nationalism" not to condone an attack against American Democracy? How exactly is it "misled patriotism" to deny and fight against Russian hacking and disinformation?  Yes, the Russians have been doing this for decades, but previous presidents fought against it, leading directly to the collapse of the Soviet Union (or have you conveniently forgotten that whole tearing down the Berlin Wall thing?). There are many former Soviet bloc countries that are part of NATO or about to join NATO because of previous U.S. presidents' actions. 

I find your thought processes as mystifying and backward as any benighted Trump flunky trotted out nightly on Faux News who speak of patriotism only when it suits their gun collection or their war on women's vaginas.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 434>