FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 04:25
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wow.....I don't read the politics thread for a day or two and suddenly Trump is a sinister genius taking over the world as we know it.
Nope.....but he is an obnoxious egotistical jerk who cares about one thing ...himself. That alone is enough to keep us all worried.
This +1. Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 07:40
Trump is a malignant narcissist who is no evil genius and who act purely on impulse, on instinct. He's his own living id. So yes, there is no big master scheme there. 

But his repulsive enablers in the Republican Party do have a master plan: let him be useful while they enact their repugnant agenda. Later they will probably discard him. 

So I think it's fair to say there is a master plan, a big evil scheme at play here. Just not by Trump. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 23:14
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Nixon... Sorry Trump just fired the FBI director Comey.

Sorry Richard Milhaus, you were an actually intelligent being. Sorry for the comparison.

I was gunna say, at least Nixon passed the Clean Water Act, created the EPA, OSHA all things that Trump, if he could have his way, would get rid of tomorrow. And Nixon took years to drag us into an embarassing sh*t show, Trump has done so since day 1. 

Trump is absolutely no evil genius. We all know about his amazingly short attention span, forcing various people and places to condense things into as small, simple briefs as possible, he couldn't come up with an evil plan if he wanted! No no, he was a troll, a protest vote, out to soak up some limelight and enhance his brand. Things got out of control, I'd say even out of his control, and other players, Russia, Bannon, much of the Republican mainstream, has used him as part of their plans. He's basically been along for the ride, content to sign useless exec orders and blame congress for not actually doing anything, to boast about his #winning and having the glory of being President. Though it seems all this has worn out as reality has set in, I'd wager Trump is not having much fun anymore. 

Edited by JJLehto - May 16 2017 at 23:39
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 23:31
This article, this is what I'm talking about 

A wave of black Democrats are eyeing 2018 runs, based on campaigns from the left. 
This is best summed up by Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum (running for gov of FL in 2018) with how they keep nominating "White, moderate guys from the Tampa area" and since this has been a losing formula for over 20 years now, why not try a new one? 
Indeed, it seems to be this movement is based on getting out minorities, the youth and low income workers. 

This is what I'm talking about! 
I was saddened that 2016 broke down into a "racial vs economic" justice fight, (for many reasons though hate to say, partly fueled by the Clinton campaign as well as media) because we dont need to make that choice. In fact it should be both. We can have both, quite easily. They kind of go hand in hand. 
Sanders did a decent job at being a unifying "lift everyone up" candidate but perhaps it will simply take another non white candidate to fully maximize that potential and as this article points out: Stop catering entirely to the centrists, especially in the cases of black candidates where pivots by the party have just cost much of the support for them. Basically: people came out for Obama but never any other time...and as 2016 proved without Obama lots of Dems stopped even coming out for Dems for the WH. Much to the chagrin of older moderates that will surely whine about this: Why keep up a losing strategy?? Times and electorates change. I know history, I know what has historically won for Democrats, I see how popular many so called "radical leftist" ideas are (which really are just what the Dems were pre Reagan) I'm a bit tired of being told how wrong it is. 
We can't just rely on Trump's failure for the short run either ,we'll lose it all like 2010. Need a true foundation rebuilding. Hoping the party's recent lip service is more than just that and they dont get in the way of what's happening

Edited by JJLehto - May 16 2017 at 23:36
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 17:34
Life comes at you fast.

First, it turns out that Trump blabbed about an ally's codeword top secret intelligence to Lavrov and Kislyak. You can kiss most intelligence sharing goodbye now. And since said ally is probably Israel, assuming the NYT is correct, that further inflames Trump's coming visit. Oh, and McMaster sold his soul and is trying to defend this gross breach of an ally's security - this administration poisons everyone it touches.

Then it turns out that Comey had records kept showing that Trump did in fact try to get him to drop the investigations, specifically into Flynn. These memos are proof of obstruction of justice. Now there are murmurs of impeachment, and Rosenstein has gone so far as to appoint Robert Mueller as a special counsel.

It didn't even take 120 days.

As a result, Wall Street has given up hope that any tax cuts or reform will be done this year. Everything is grinding to a halt.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 18:52
Two interesting turn of events. First, we have a Special Counsel investigating the Russian Collusion Scandal, ladies and gentlemen! Meet former FBI Director Robert Mueller (who is a surprisingly good choice -- high character, non-partisan and no-nonsense)....

Second, Kevin McCarthy and Paul Ryan were caught on tape during the 2016 Presidential Campaign, with McCarthy saying "Putin is paying Trump" and Ryan swearing the "family" to secrecy....

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 17 2017 at 18:53
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 03:08
The way the GOP currently reacts to all that is happening reminds me of a family sitting in a house that is ablaze on all corners and saying "It's quite warm in here, really cozy".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 04:09
Democratic House Committee Rep. Adam Schiff  said it best. The Repub Party are scrambling to get their agendas passed through before the wheels come off the Trump wagon, after which they will turn on Trump. I think that wagon only a couple of wheels left at this point.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 08:36
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/queen-offers-to-restore-british-rule-over-united-states
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 10:33
^Sad thing is, most what she says is true.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 11:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Second, Kevin McCarthy and Paul Ryan were caught on tape during the 2016 Presidential Campaign, with McCarthy saying "Putin is paying Trump" and Ryan swearing the "family" to secrecy....

Let's not get carried away, "I think Putin pays Trump" is not remotely the same thing as "Putin is paying Trump"

Only the idle mind of a conspiracy theorist could turn the former into the latter
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 13:42
“I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem. Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that.”

Trump to Philippines President Duterte, the one whose "drug plan" is murdering drug sellers and users on the streets, without any process.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 22:34
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

Life comes at you fast.

First, it turns out that Trump blabbed about an ally's codeword top secret intelligence to Lavrov and Kislyak. You can kiss most intelligence sharing goodbye now. And since said ally is probably Israel, assuming the NYT is correct, that further inflames Trump's coming visit. Oh, and McMaster sold his soul and is trying to defend this gross breach of an ally's security - this administration poisons everyone it touches.

Then it turns out that Comey had records kept showing that Trump did in fact try to get him to drop the investigations, specifically into Flynn. These memos are proof of obstruction of justice. Now there are murmurs of impeachment, and Rosenstein has gone so far as to appoint Robert Mueller as a special counsel.

It didn't even take 120 days.

As a result, Wall Street has given up hope that any tax cuts or reform will be done this year. Everything is grinding to a halt.

Yup. He "won" in the most literal sense, but his Presidency is already becoming a total bust. 
Even on a personal note, for a guy who cares so much about being loved, his numbers keep falling, while those who believe Russia has meddled are rising. Last I heard the investigation goes all the way to "someone in the White House" rumors are it's Jared. The Comey firing was bad sh*t but then telling Russians how firing the "nut case" "eased" the tensions?? This is venturing into the surreal. 
Was it worth it Trump family?
Even if their only concern was self benefit and savoring the praise, Trump isn't even getting those things. 

Speaking of surreal: 
Tomorrow is the special election in Montana. It was expected to be a much tighter than normal race, (as all these have been thanks to Trump unpopularity) but the Republican candidate just assaulted a reporter. 
Not an aide, not a campaign person or rabid fan, the actual candidate. There's audio recordings and Fox News is even reporting it, right on their front page. 
Some Fox reporters saw the candidate grab the reporter by the neck, body slam him (yes body slam) then throw some punches. 
What in the living f**k is going on??? 

Edited by JJLehto - May 24 2017 at 22:37
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 23:41
Yup, it's confirmed. Republican Candidate Greg Gianforte has been charged with misdemeanor assault, for body slamming a reporter the night before an election. 
It gets better, seems this reporter has written about Gianforte's connections to Russia, owning $250k in shares of Russian companies under US sanctions

Yes, a Republican just assaulted a reporter because he was angry over their questioning his Russian ties. Seems almost too perfect to be real. 

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 23:42
How's about Trump and Mulvaney's first full budget? Combine their proposed cuts to Medicaid with the ramifications of the House GOP health bill and Medicaid funds are slashed by 50%. SSDI, Medicare, and farm subsidies take a big hit, too. So much for "promises made, promises kept" on not cutting those vital programs.

Plus, as Politico's take on the budget notes, it's effectively a scam. Firstly, as Larry Summers pointed out, $2.1T is double-counted to make both the budget and any possible tax reform plans seem deficit-neutral. Malarkey doesn't even begin to describe it. The budget also assumes an unrealistic 3% annual growth for the next decade without falter, and Mulvaney claims this is a conservative estimate! He thinks Trump can pull off 4% for each of the next ten years! The lack of a working tax reform plan, partly because of the administration's own self-inflicted wounds and scandals, is also an issue.

... Damn.

And right back to Gianforte pulling a Lewandowski by assaulting a reporter. This is what the "media is the opposition party" anti-intellectualism leads to. I think back to that sitting representative who threatened to send a reporter over a balcony (EDIT: also over an investigation, no less!) and see how this unilateral war is heating up. There just aren't any words.

Edited by LearsFool - May 24 2017 at 23:44
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 00:02
It's true, I was waved off (even by lots of liberals) for saying things like "this rhetoric has an impact" "it's more than just words" and to be fair it pre dates Trump. This unprecedented anger stirred up post 2008 has reached a boiling point, then Trump turned it up another 400 degrees. The worst people are being dragged up to the surface in this climate. Trump is just capitalizing, this stuff has been brewing for years. 

Yeah I heard about the budget. In total fairness, this is run of the mill GOP stuff. Slash domestic benefits, beef up defense. The "big 3" have long been eyed with envy by the right, Paul Ryan and Mulvaney are having a masturbatory session at the thought of making those sweet cuts to the Medicare and Medicaid. Trump promised he'd never touch em? Pffffffffffffft I said from the first utterance of that he was lying, all sane people knew of it. I feel for the rust belt who will suffer if this happens, but frankly people need to learn finally voting is serious and it should be taken as so. 

Only thing is, the GOP never actually attempts these cuts when in power. They just starve the beast, and force the Dems usually to make the cuts, but the Tea Party really wants this so guess now Trump has to oblige. It's taken a while but the Tea Party has finally come back to burn the GOP. 

Edited by JJLehto - May 25 2017 at 00:04
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 04:11
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Yup, it's confirmed. Republican Candidate Greg Gianforte has been charged with misdemeanor assault, for body slamming a reporter the night before an election. 
It gets better, seems this reporter has written about Gianforte's connections to Russia, owning $250k in shares of Russian companies under US sanctions

Yes, a Republican just assaulted a reporter because he was angry over their questioning his Russian ties. Seems almost too perfect to be real. 

Gianforte claims that his actions were justified because he was harassed by an evil  "liberal reporter." That should satisfy his base and probably help him win. Sad times that Trump has inaugurated.

Edited by SteveG - May 25 2017 at 04:13
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 23:49
Hi Guys, I’m just looking in to read the latest comments only to find that there hasn’t been any contribution here for a week.

I’m just curious to know why this is. Apart from those of us who have bowed out due to the captcha debacle, why isn’t anyone previously active here leaving any comments anymore, especially given the abundance of material?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 01:45
Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement is by far his dumbest, not only from an ecological polint of view but from an economical one as well. 195 of 197 states agreed to it (only Nicaragua and Syria did not, and Nicaragua only because they thought the agreement did not go far enough). The chance to prevent an ecological catastrophe was already slim, but now it looks like an impossible task. Trump just gave Mother Earth the finger!

And all of this to supposedly protect American interests by supporting old, no obsolete technology. This pulls the rug ftom under the feet of ecological economy and will actually not lead to an increase but to a decrease of the economy.

The USA will lead its leadership in ecolofical technology; Germany and China are already waiting to take over.

Trump said he wants new negotiations for the climate agreement, but Germany, France and Italy have already said there will be none.

Trump also said the USA had been laughed at due to this agreement. The truth is they would be laughed at now if the matter was not so serious.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 02 2017 at 10:35

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 07:29
Oh BaldFriede, living every day with all the idiotic decisions this president and his group of white old christian male followers take is too much to handle. The Paris Agreement withdrawal is a travesty in line with all the rest of this government's actions. Only due to incompetence and scandal is that they haven't yet been able to fully destroy any semblance of a civilized nation. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 434>