Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 04:11
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

We need someone to make the Democratic Party great again. Someone who will make them win so much that they will be sick of winning. We need the Democratic equivalent of Trump.

Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!

I'm sure you jest, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut just wanna throw it out there again:
-Popular with the white working class
-Extremely popular with the youth
-Popular with independents 
-Popular in general, numbers were better than Clinton's and esp Trump

Clinton lost due to: The rust belt going red, a drop in youth voting (esp in key states), losing Independents, and while Trump was unpopular so was she... 
Add to it his ideas about healthcare, college, higher min wages, regulating wall st and etc really are fairly popular...like I said just throwing it out there. 

Yes, Trump is an absolute idiot, it's become clear but that is true, he is master manipulator of the media. In this regard he's disturbingly brilliant.
Yes, I'm kidding about Bernie as he is, sadly, past his prime. But we do need someone else with the qualifications you stated and that person will be very hard to find.

I don't feel that Trump is quite the media manipulator that you say he is. His volatile vitriol fuel cabinet is leak city and is the most transparent Presidential administration in history. The media puts out every single hiccup and fart uttered by Trumps' crew and that's not indicative of someone who is a master manipulator of the media.

Edited by SteveG - July 31 2017 at 04:12
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 13:49
Aaaand Scaramucci is gone as soon as he walked in, having left a trail of devastation in his wake (rest in pepperoni Spicey and Priebus) and swearing up a storm to a reporter. This also seems to be John Kelly asserting himself in his new chief of staff role.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 13:53
^ No surprise there.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 13:55

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

We need someone to make the Democratic Party great again. Someone who will make them win so much that they will be sick of winning. We need the Democratic equivalent of Trump.

Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!

I'm sure you jest, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut just wanna throw it out there again:
-Popular with the white working class
-Extremely popular with the youth
-Popular with independents 
-Popular in general, numbers were better than Clinton's and esp Trump

Clinton lost due to: The rust belt going red, a drop in youth voting (esp in key states), losing Independents, and while Trump was unpopular so was she... 
Add to it his ideas about healthcare, college, higher min wages, regulating wall st and etc really are fairly popular...like I said just throwing it out there. 

Yes, Trump is an absolute idiot, it's become clear but that is true, he is master manipulator of the media. In this regard he's disturbingly brilliant.
Yes, I'm kidding about Bernie as he is, sadly, past his prime. But we do need someone else with the qualifications you stated and that person will be very hard to find.

I don't feel that Trump is quite the media manipulator that you say he is. His volatile vitriol fuel cabinet is leak city and is the most transparent Presidential administration in history. The media puts out every single hiccup and fart uttered by Trumps' crew and that's not indicative of someone who is a master manipulator of the media.

Well come 2020 he will be. Could've worked this time around, I mean really....his appearance looks kinda bad but he's not exactly tons older than Hillary or Trump. Hell he's basically the same age as Biden and people were quietly praying he would enter the race. Darn shame. 
It's doubly painful when you think about down ballot voting...this is purely theoretical but it's not crazy to think a victory for him would've gone along with a Dem takeover of the Senate (as was expected to happen). 

Oh I disagree. He's worthless in pretty much all regards no doubt, I don't even believe he's really "in charge" there seems to be the pull of multiple forces with no guidance, no input from Trump. I mean Anthony Scaramucci has already been removed from his position, supposedly at the decision of Kelly...so it does seem there's like 7 people vying for whatever power they can grab in this WH, but unlike a true authoritarian where they are the undisputed head, Trump is opposite. That said, the way he's used the media IS brilliant. His (basically) free campaign advertising he used em for, and much as the media hates him (for good reason) they need him...he's a boon for them. He gives the people what they wanna hear, like him or hate him. And he's even created this cult now where opposing him, no matter how sane or truthful, feeds the "boooo elites trying to tell us how to think and live! They are opposing Trump like he said!". Even in bashing him, it helps him. 

I think the ultimate power he's created in using the media is how he's tethered to news events. Every week seems he's up or down depending on what happens. He's down now, but one more police shooting, terrorist attack, liberal who has the audacity to speak about race or gender...and he's back up. That's not a good way to live and die but I do fear all his current unpopularity will be wiped out come 2018 by whatever next news event whips white conservatives into fear. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 14:05
Speaking of terrible media: 

This Tomi Lahren (who I admit I know little of except she's a racist Trumper type) has stated publicly she is 24, so is still on her parent's insurance....aka OBAMACARE. The bill she wants gone. 
1: This what's wrong with America
2: 24? She's this famous at 24? I know politics, likely more than she does, get me a show!
3: She's already been around for years. One of the voices of a political movement, influencing people was a 21/22 year old who, far as I can tell, was on a talk show at her college and made an internet video

Sometimes I really do wanna just flee to Norway and work in the woods
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 22:47
YIKES
Maybe there is no smoking gun (though I question exactly what some people want) but there sure seems to be a smoke plume forming
"Trump dictated son's misleading statement on meeting with Russian lawyer"
Yeah, once the Trump jr meeting became known it seems all agreed the way to handle was for Trump Jr to release a statement to get ahead of the story, and wanted to be truthful so their account couldn't be picked apart later. 
Except Trump. He personally dictated the statement Trump Jr later made which proved to be misleading. Shocking and annoying all lawyers and advisers involved. 

Some quotes:

“This was . . . unnecessary,” said one of the president’s advisers, who like most other people interviewed for this article spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations. “Now someone can claim he’s the one who attempted to mislead. Somebody can argue the president is saying he doesn’t want you to say the whole truth.”

"Trump, they say, is increasingly acting as his own lawyer, strategist and publicist, often disregarding the recommendations of the professionals he has hired" and "He refuses to sit still,” the presidential adviser said. “He doesn’t think he’s in any legal jeopardy, so he really views this as a political problem he is going to solve by himself.”

“The thing that really strikes me about this is the stupidity of involving the president,” Zeidenberg said. “They are still treating this like a family-run business and they have a PR problem. . . . What they don’t seem to understand is this is a criminal investigation involving all of them.”

Like I said, yikes. Both at this latest revelation and that Trump really IS this clumsy bull, thrashing around as he pleases, totally unaware he's destroying his own china shop.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 06:45
Now Fox News is being sued in connection with the fake Seth Rich story. Apparently an attempt by Fox News and possibly the Trump administration to steer away attention from the Russian investigations.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 10:37
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Now Fox News is being sued in connection with the fake Seth Rich story. Apparently an attempt by Fox News and possibly the Trump administration to steer away attention from the Russian investigations.

Shocking.....
A bit funny eh? All the cries about the liberal media oozing over Obama and colluding to help Clinton, and now Fox has become, quite literally, a vehicle for Trump. 
Granted, the media did favor Clinton including the CNN leaking of debate questions to her which is pretty screwed up, BUT at least I am fair...I'm sure the right will continue to turn two blind eyes, (and close their ears and stuff their noses) to Fox doing this. 

Unrelated, it seems the State Department is missing $79 million in anti Isis funding...because Rex Tillerson hasn't signed off on it. For real, apparently all he needs to do is write 2 brief memos and sign em for this funding to occur, and he simply...just hasn't. What!? http://theweek.com/speedreads/715471/state-department-missing-79-million-antiisis-funding-because-tillerson-sign-two-memos
In addition, seems he has wrecked the agency, there is reportedly confusion, low morale and people creating word clouds to kill time. 
"Hey at least Rex is one of the smart competent ones" they told me..... 
Yikes
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 12:17

Edited by dr wu23 - August 04 2017 at 12:19
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 13:56
So, I and others have said it feels like we're reliving the 1930s

That feels a little toooo real now. 
Today in Charlottseville, VA there was a rally, with an estimated 4,000 in attendance, among which there were confederate sympathizers, white supremacists, and neo nazis. One of the people expected to speak was Richard Spencer, the white supremacist who has called for "peaceful ethnic cleansing" to halt the decline of European civilization. This was in public. 

Last night, this group (holding torches) encircled a group of counter protesters, and today one of them drove a car into counter protesters, injuring several people. 
We really are the Roman Empire in decline.... the angry conservatives are right, we really are losing our culture, but it's not because of BLM, mexicans, muslims, feminism, liberalism, mainstream conservatives or embrace of multiculturalism...it's because of these people. Yikes. 
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 02:57
Death of protesters in the streets, open racism, imminent nuclear war, military threats to other states, and lots more. The USA is now the time bomb of the world.

I think the USA is just about done. Don’t kid yourselves, it’s not like Germany in the 30s, this IS Germany in the 30s. My mother, going on 100, was there and can describe it in detail.

Now fascism is rampant on the streets of America, the silence from the White House is deafening. Even if there will be a statement sometime, it’s too late to make any difference now, the damage to the reputation of the US is off the charts.

The only good thing to come out of the Trump presidency is the new US isolationism. The world needs at least some form of protective barrier.

Now, I’m just going to sit back, relax, and watch the show, hoping that the EMP doesn’t wipe my hard drives.

Whatever fate befalls the USA after all that has happened and is happening, America deserves all it gets. It doesn’t look to me as if there’s much left worth saving or protecting.

What an end for the once glorious leadership of the free world. Any previous reputation will take decades to recover, if ever.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 06:55
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Death of protesters in the streets, open racism, imminent nuclear war, military threats to other states, and lots more. The USA is now the time bomb of the world.

I think the USA is just about done. Don’t kid yourselves, it’s not like Germany in the 30s, this IS Germany in the 30s. My mother, going on 100, was there and can describe it in detail.

Now fascism is rampant on the streets of America, the silence from the White House is deafening. Even if there will be a statement sometime, it’s too late to make any difference now, the damage to the reputation of the US is off the charts.

The only good thing to come out of the Trump presidency is the new US isolationism. The world needs at least some form of protective barrier.

Now, I’m just going to sit back, relax, and watch the show, hoping that the EMP doesn’t wipe my hard drives. 

Whatever fate befalls the USA after all that has happened and is happening, America deserves all it gets. It doesn’t look to me as if there’s much left worth saving or protecting.

What an end for the once glorious leadership of the free world. Any previous reputation will take decades to recover, if ever.

Ditto!

The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 06:57
And, putting Canada apart , it's horrifying how we've seen on recent times the three Americas together steadily coming to an end...
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 07:46
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

interesting POV...  though  you bet your sweet ass there are similarities it ignores the vast differences between 30's Germany and America today.  

oh sure we have we have our share of facists, bigots and racists who voted for Trump.. that those that supported Trump who while not as such themselves enabled or supported them through their ignorance of what Trump was really about.  Bush voters could be forgiven for inflicting his partiular brand of disaster and incomptenace upon America.. and the world... Trump voter can not be for what he was all about.. and his complete unsuitabliliy for the office of President was on full display if one had opened their eyes.

That said...  he is gone in 4 years..  America lost a battle in 2016.. not the war moving forward as a nation. One can try to stop progress as a society and nation, and Trump voter tried.. but it will make no difference. It is a war they have already lost.  We will soon return to responcisble and compassionate leadership in this country.

Unless of course he blows it all to hell.. which brings us to Korea.  Long I've warned this subject was likely reason A why Trump should have NEVER been elected. What good is making AMerica more white again...  making the rich richer and the rest of us slaves to the economic haves.. when the world around us gets f**ked up beyond all repair.  That said.. I'm not particlarly worried at this point.  Kim Jung Un knows how the game is played.. that nuclear weapons are not military weapons.. but political ones.  

What I don't trust is that Trump knows that.  I'll start really worrying.. and all you should ... when word comes that civilians are being evac'd from Korea.  Until that happens we will do nothing miilitarily against the north.  Trump can get away with much.. but having hte blood of 1000's of American's civilians on his hands in the retaliation against a preemptive strike is likely not something he or his knuckehead supporters can write off as fake news or nothing burgers.

I do wonder if the military has already, secretly foreseen this, note that under Nixon when his sanity and judgment was being questioned as Watergate ground forward..  his direct command of our nuclear arsenal was intercepted by the Joint Chiefs...  ie.. don't launch if ordered by the President unless WE say to do so.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 08:12
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

interesting POV...  though  you bet your sweet ass there are similarities it ignores the vast differences between 30's Germany and America today.  

Sorry man but  you should limit yourself to the addressed context when making these sorts of parallels....
If still I'm not clear, I remember you that exactly the same approach I'm talking about was used when someone above stated that you Americans ARE the Roman Empire in decline.......

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 08:31
ehh... drawing comparison to America today and Nazi Germany makes for good print for getting the lefties warmed up but again while there are similaries.. with a minority of this country.. that becomes more a minority with every single f**king year that passes... the differences between the two are so vast I feel it is a waste of time, and insult of anyone's intellect to try to explain them.

However a comparison with the decline of the Roman empire is quite apt.. one my wife makes quite often and I agree with her. Until we put the Republican Party and everything it stands for against the f**king wall and shoot every damn last one of them this country will continue its slide into into moral and ethical decay which will provide the grease onto the slide of its inevitable decline and fall of the great American empire haha 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 08:48
Oh yeah haha...... no need to recall here the aforementioned military threats, racial segregation and related riots steadily increasing in your country every single f**king year that passes ... LOL!..........

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 09:10
of course there is no need.   As I've been saying for years.. we are the midst of the 2nd Civil War in this country. Not (to this point) the 2nd war of Succession but the Culture War.   There are elements, even if a minority are still quite large that don't like where this country is and is going.  While violence has been relativity rare, politicians on both sides are targets as are their supporters as evidenced by yesterday. 

Anyone here knows it... should know it at least haha... however just like the 1st Civil War.. the outcome is not in doubt... the only question is how much blood gets spills and how long it takes for progressives to win over the conservatives.  Time and numbers and the moral high ground are all on their sides and they will win. Trump was just a battle this country and the ideals it was based upon lost... but the days of a white Christian nation (the Great that the red-hatters are really for) are numbered and honestly.. there is nothing they can do to win. Demographics are the key.

Rather than accept it.. they are fighting it. Just like the 60's and rebelling against Civil Rights... this battle against the browning of America is doomed to fail.  For us here the trick is just to get through it, keep low and watch not for Islamic extremists.. but our own homegrown ones..
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 14:58
Hey npjnpj You really are a bitter little assh*le, aren't you.   To compare this to 1930s Germany is so bizarre and misinformed I won't even address it.

What I will address is what an ignorant little puke you really are and how I'd probably have you over my knee spanking your sorry fat ass if I could.   In fact I'd be far more concerned about your kind of fascism in Europe, not the U.S.   But you don't want to hear that, you just want to spew your depraved bullsh*t without any consequences.   Feel good, you pompous sack of garbage?   Anything else you'd like to enlighten us with?   Maybe your keen sense of history or politics?  Or maybe your sparkling personality.   

You need to get laid.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 15:48
darin' we ALL need to get laid hahah. Especially Trump voter...  lose the hate and anger... discover pussy...

good to see the thread hasn't lost its lack of civility... though myself like to save it not for snot nosed Europeans who have no clue what is going on here.. but for sh*t for brained Trump voters who are just as ignorant as to what is going on haha who can only hope their lack of responcibility in voting doesn't merely ruin the economy but lead to hundreds of thousands.. perhaps millions of dead. To say nothing of how many of those.. will be our own.   

Being President= temperament and experience.  

Being a Voter = responsibility and thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 434>