Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 245246247248249 434>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 19:48
no-one is trying to do this. there certainly is racism in Germany. it is biggest in the 5 states of the former GDR: Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Thuringia, Mecklenburg-Westpomerania and Brandenburg. the AfD, an extreme right-wing party that is definitely xenophobic, got over 20% in the last state elections there:

Saxony: 27.5%
Saxony-Anhalt: 24.2%
Brandenburg: 23.5%
Thuringia: 23.4%
Mecklenburg-Westpomerania: 20.8%

in Northrhine-Westphalia, the state where we live, they got 7.4%.

the rise of the AfD is certainly worrisome. it is the usual problem: in regions with a bad economic situation and lots of unemployment and low wages right-wing populists flourish.

nevertheless racism in Germany pales in comparison to racism in the USA; trust me on that

Edited by BaldJean - June 06 2020 at 19:51

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 20:12
I still think racism is universal and those who don't think so are in denial.
Still, if you perceive Germany as less racist, maybe its because its mostly white people anyway.
There aren't a lot of race problems in Montana USA for the same reason. If there is no one to be racist towards, then you get a significant drop off in racism.

Edited by Easy Money - June 06 2020 at 20:23
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 20:39
racism is not just a question of black or white skin, as you seem to reduce it too; there are a lot of nuances in between

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 20:57
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

racism is not just a question of black or white skin, as you seem to reduce it too; there are a lot of nuances in between
I never said that and I wouldn't say that.
Racism comes in many varieties, just ask the Romany in your part of the world.

Edited by Easy Money - June 06 2020 at 20:58
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 21:00
Racism comes in many varieties and it is a problem all around the world and I don't think that Germans are more enlightened in this area than other people.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:42
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:45
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I have spent much of my life trying to understand and challenge racist thought. I find the biggest hurdle for most white people is they often want to point the finger at someone else rather than challenge themselves.

You said racism was worse in one country other than the one you live in. I find that typical of what a lot of white people like to believe. The locale just varies with whatever is convenient for the person in denial.

This is why I liked Trudeau's approach of not just criticizing what is happening in the US but also acknowledging the issues that remain in Canada.  That is how you occupy the moral high ground, by being willing to point fingers at yourself and introspect.  When I see people here in India that I know to be Islamophobic say stuff like Black Lives Matter, it's very hard not to laugh.  I am not interesting in listening to their justifications for Islamophobia because there is always a 'valid' pretext to hate someone.  

One can argue about US requiring to set better standards for itself as the leader of the free world but that is a different issue altogether from a claim that US is unique in practicing bigotry.  We can call it by other names like xenophobia or casteism but the pathology is roughly the same - a need to dehumanize a person for belonging to an 'outgroup'. 

I can say honestly that the maximum bigotry I faced was not in my travels in the US or up North in India as a person of South Indian origin who betrays these origins occasionally in his Hindi accent but in my 'hometown' of Chennai where the fact that I am a Bombay-bred Tamilian evokes much scorn for whatever reason.  Bigotry has many forms, shapes and colours and I too doubt that any society anywhere on the planet is entirely free from it.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:49
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I find both ethnic discrimination and racial segregation despicable, yet in the latter you have "no chance" to avoid segregation.

I think that very much depends on whether the ethnicity discriminated against has visible cultural markers.  If yes, then it can be as bad as racism pretty much. When all of us blend into the modern way and wear suits or jeans as applicable to work, it is harder to spot a different ethnicity and therefore harder to discriminate against. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:07
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

*munching popcorn, drinking beer, smoking sh*t*

You better believe it.

No matter how one sees what's happening, it is a transformational moment for humanity.   If one doesn't understand that, they either will eventually or are being selectively ignorant.

Make no mistake: The times they are 'a changing.   In a big way.

Heart the hardened cynic in me fights hard against the passionate idealist.. a battle I've fought in my mind for years.

but yes.  It does seem like...finally... we as a nation reached critical mass on this and again.. where this tipped from being a black v. system issue to 'us' v. system. I think it is because of the confluence of everything else going on in this country where people of all colors and not just the youth are saying.. enough is enough. A revolution if you will. not a violent one.. but one all the same. This is as much about politics and you know who as it is about Floyd's tragic and senseless death.

I do think it will be a long process..  but it is a start. We are in the midst of a real political realignment here.. I think this falls into it and can.. will... become more than that. A social realignment  As both would be driven by the same thing actually.. the demographic reordering of America. 

As I see it.. the political and demographic changes in America was not just inevitable.. it is going on now.. but the legacy of George Floyd will be his death was the point in which America finally woke up and changed its way regarding race relations.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:21
@Easy Money: I totally get the desire to not being lectured by outsiders about one's own country, and also the suspicion of hypocrisy directed at those who do (except that BaldJean doesn't really qualify as an "outsider"). I am German, and as I wrote earlier, the Germans indeed have a lot to do about racism in their own country.

However, I don't get the sensitivity either if anyone says anything that suggests that one country could in some respects indeed be worse than another. It's not all the same by definition. I'm not in the position to compare Germany and the US in a qualified way, but if somebody in an informed position says that Germany is bad in this or that respect, I can surely accept that view and don't feel compelled to say "it's all just human, they're all the same, and everyone should look at their own country". Rather than being offended by the view from outside, we can use it to learn, even if occasionally we disagree.  

Edited by Lewian - June 07 2020 at 05:22
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:29
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the legacy of George Floyd will be his death was the point in which America finally woke up and changed its way regarding race relations.

and riffing off of that ... as the last pages have painfully delved into LOL..  racism isn't going to simply disappear, not on the individual level, but what can and will change is the systematic application of racism that this country has applied since the abolition of slavery. It hasn't been a left v. right issue.. Democrat v. Republican issue for both had perpetuated it.. be it willingly or ignorantly.. but Floyd's death combined with Trump's reaction to it.. can and perhaps has already made it one.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:46
From my point of view, racism manifests itself in different ways even within the same country. Here in the US, there is a difference between the racism targeted at black people and the one targeted at immigrants. The closest comparison I can find for the former is the kind of racism that exists in northern Italy against people from the south of the country. Though not as bad as it used to be 50 years ago, it was one of the cornerstones of the original Northern League, Salvini's party - which has now rebranded itself as a nationalist party. I have witnessed enough episodes of people from northern Italy (or even from Tuscany, where I lived for eight years) berating people from the south - very unpleasant occurrences, especially since my father was from the south. However, there has never been anything enshrined in our laws that sanctioned segregation. 

As for racism towards immigrants, that is the typical "animal" reaction of human beings against outsiders, seen as invaders of one's own territory. In many cases, it is not even motivated by differences in physical appearance: Albanians and Romanians look no different from the average Italian, but they have been the object of discrimination as much as those with darker skin. Irish people were considered "not white" (and therefore inferior) in the US, in spite of having light-coloured hair, skin and eyes.

What makes racism against blacks in the US unique in its own way is that is targeted against a sizable minority of citizens who descend from people who were brought here by force, enslaved and treated as less than human - much worse than any given group of immigrants - and then kept in a state of inferiority for decades after the abolition of slavery. In Brazil, where slavery lasted the longest, and conditions for slaves were often even worse than in the US, there has been much more racial mixing than here, and no segregation policies were ever implemented.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 06:55
My fear, as someone on the outside looking in, is that this issue appears to be walking down the self same road as so many others in Western democracies right now, and that is a power struggle between shouty liberals and barking traditionalists, with all voices of reason in between being lost in the media white noise.

If that is indeed the case, then all hopes of lasting and fair reform will be utterly lost.

This is an age old problem, one as much societal and economic than simple racism, and, as with any systemic issues, there are no easy and straightforward solutions, as much as the shouty people would have us think.

I must be getting beyond cynical in my fast approaching dotage, but I see no “bright new dawn” here, merely the latest issue in an increasingly mindless power game between two intractable philosophies. 

The above comments, btw, should absolutely not be taken as anything approaching acceptance on my part of the atrocities and mindless brutality witnessed, which I abhor as a decent human being. Actually, it is a sadness to me that I even feel the need to make such a statement here.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 07:33
Re Raff; I agree with your post, but racism against blacks in Brazil continues:

https://www.cairn.info/revue-internationale-de-droit-penal-2002-1-page-141.htm#
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 07:39
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Re Raff; I agree with your post, but racism against blacks in Brazil continues:

I know it does. The point I wanted to make (unsuccessfully, it seems) is that they did not implement segregation as the US did. There are many more people of mixed racial descent there than in the US. That being said, I don't believe there is any country in the world where whites (even when they are a minority) are not better off.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 07:59
no.. I thought you were very clear. Especially in conjunction with my posts.. hell... the last pages in this thread.

racism is everywhere... you could argue.. I long have. It comes with the species.. one can be ruled by it or recognize it and strive to overcome it. No different than our dispositions towards destruction as well as creation.

what you mention is the real issue.. no where much less to the degree we have .. have institutionalized such behavior. Much less a country that pays such lip service to freedom. rights.. individual liberties. It is the hypocrisy of this nation that has existed since it's inception.. yet perhaps took a President who brought all those hypocrisies out from the shadows to where they simply couldn't be ignored anymore.

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 08:00
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:22
and again riffing on myself and musings this morning..

our culture here is .. umm.. rather unique.  Raff would be the first to say.. and say it often she does LOL.. you can live here for years and still not understand it.

two thing can be said to uniquely stand out about it.

systematic racism
here which again.. really have no parallel anywhere else.  Floyd's death and Trump's reaction to it will be marked as the turning point.. on top of the larger demographic trends already in play.. will eventually tamp systematic racism out. That is not the same as rooting out racism.. mind you but that is for the future generations to deal with

then there is the other..  pretty much unique aspect to American culture..  guns and the acceptance of gun violence.  

I've been thinking a lot on that this morning..  many of us have quipped about the nature of 2020..  and the only thing missing is a meteor strike hahah....or another mass shooting...  be in random.. but more scarily.. politically motivated..

In my mind systematic racism is a black and white (pun obviously intended) issue. Quite simply it is a right or wrong kind of issue and based upon it you could act in several different ways. Ie.. there is no justification for it. Legal or otherwise. Either you are for it, against it, or pretend it doesn't exist.  

However guns and the violence associated with it is not a black and white issue, as there are specific legal mechanism protecting gun rights  and I do wonder if there is any potential Floyd/Trump type moment that will change our attitudes here about guns. I really don't think there is...  

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 09:26
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:31
In my view, which may or may not parallel your opinions, the real core problem is that we have never really progressed beyond an EITHER / OR society, living in a corporate/technological world that somehow still encourages only binary options, which is, at the very least , a confrontation between two pugilists in a ring , needing each other as bitter rivals to justify their beliefs . This is what racism is encouraged by: ''you are with us or against us '' (Stalinist leader of post ww2 Hungary Matyas Rakosi quote). 

Racism, discrimination and politics are all tools of control that are set up by the overseeing elite since Adam and Eve. If there would be a third option, this binary struggle would cease to exist. The idea is not to include or exclude but to respect. Be proud of your heritage but respect those of others. 

In politics ,it is possible to be economically conservative and socially progressive! Except no one likes third options in a binary world., it dilutes the control mechanism in place.  

Edited by tszirmay - June 07 2020 at 09:32
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:52
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

In my view, which may or may not parallel your opinions, the real core problem is that we have never really progressed beyond an EITHER / OR society, living in a corporate/technological world that somehow still encourages only binary options, which is, at the very least , a confrontation between two pugilists in a ring , needing each other as bitter rivals to justify their beliefs . This is what racism is encouraged by: ''you are with us or against us '' (Stalinist leader of post ww2 Hungary Matyas Rakosi quote). 

Racism, discrimination and politics are all tools of control that are set up by the overseeing elite since Adam and Eve. If there would be a third option, this binary struggle would cease to exist. The idea is not to include or exclude but to respect. Be proud of your heritage but respect those of others. 

In politics ,it is possible to be economically conservative and socially progressive! Except no one likes third options in a binary world., it dilutes the control mechanism in place.  

much of that perhaps can be blamed on our two party political system which is about as binary as one can get LOL Take race relation.. or more particularly systematic racism here.  The elites? You bet your ass it is. 

On one side you have the politics of fear and still exploiting as well as coming up with new  elements of systematic racism ( often the guise of the voter fraud boogyman). until Trump it was very subtle.. but with him.. sh*t man..all subtly went out the window and any pretexts of being anything but a party that pandered to white grievances and fear.. and their fears of not just blacks.. but immigrants of color.

but have Democratic elites been much better? Sure no worse in deed.. but in reality no better. Definitely not actively promoting racial discord for political gain but something just as bad. Ignorance and ignoring it. Doing nothing to actually combat long standing aspects of  systematic racism and only reacting to more blatent abuses like gerrymandering to give the blacks less voice in Congress.. all while throwing roadblocks in the way to make voting harder and again giving them less voice. It has been crumbs to keep them happy and Democratic.. but in fact has nothing to improve their condition or at least level the playing field tilted against them in large part.

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 09:54
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:54
So this just happened last night in the quiet mountain towns of Felton and Ben Lomond, just up in the mountains above quiet little Santa Cruz (which is much less quiet and little than when I lived there).  When I first moved there, my friend who still lives there, told me that there were contingents of skinheads, etc. in the mountain area, I can't help but think they are nowadays emboldened by the implied respect for them by 45.  There still is question this am by residents whether everyone is in custody that should be.

From the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office:
On Saturday June 6th at around 1:30 p.m., we received a call about a suspicious van parked off the road near Jamison Creek, Boulder Creek. The caller saw guns and bomb making materials inside the van. When d
eputies arrived, the van was seen leaving the area and tried to follow it, finally finding it at a home on Waldeberg, Ben Lomond. As deputies began investigating, they were ambushed with gunfire and multiple improvised explosive devices. Sergeant Damon Gutzwiller was shot and taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Another deputy was either shot or struck by shrapnel and struck by a car as the suspect fled the property. We are hopeful the deputy will recover.
Calls of a carjacking nearby soon followed as officers from departments throughout Santa Cruz County began arriving to the area, several of whom were involved in the arrest of the suspect, Steven Carrillo, who was reportedly armed was shot during his arrest. The suspect survived and was treated and released from the hospital. He will be arrested for the murder of Sergeant Gutzwiller and other felonies.
Damon was a patrol supervisor and worked for the Sheriff’s Office since 2006. He is 38-years-old and married with children. Damon was a courageous, intelligent, sensitive and a caring man. “Words cannot express the pain we feel for Damon and his family,” Sheriff Jim Hart said, “He was the kind of person we all hope to be. Today, we lost a hero. We are grateful to have known him and we mourn with his family.”
The District Attorney’s Office is investigating the case. We will release more information about the incident early next week.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 245246247248249 434>