Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 381382383384385 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 10:55
^ I tend to agree with Friede on "I'm proud to be an American," type of pride. It is like: "I'm proud to be 6'3" tall." If you're tall AND you're an accomplished basketball player, you sure can be proud of yourself.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 11:05
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

He has mentioned a lot of possibilities including a new news network and a new political party (Patriot party)...

Yes, the "Patriot Party". Because "White Racist Camo-Wearing Trailer Trash Party" takes too long to type.

"Patriot Party" and "Monster Mesh" are synonyms.

Patriotism is in my opinion for idiots. Let me quote Schopenhauer on patriotism:

“The cheapest sort of pride is national pride; for if a man is proud of his own nation, it argues that he has no qualities of his own of which he can be proud; otherwise he would not have recourse to those which he shares with so many millions of his fellowmen. The man who is endowed with important personal qualities will be only too ready to see clearly in what respects his own nation falls short, since their failings will be constantly before his eyes. But every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

There are plenty of people, reasonable, liberal, and well intentioned people, who would call out Schopenhauer for such an idiotic statement. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a sense of pride in who you are, or where you come from.

Not all patriots are cheap, imbecilic rednecks. Most liberals, on the other hand, find it utterly impossible to understand anything which makes the common man tick.

I am absolutely with Schopenhauer. there is in my opinion a difference between "patriotism" and "love for one's country". "patriotism" is the position "right or wrong - my country". "love for one's country" is loving it but clearly seeing "in what respect it falls short"

Edited by BaldJean - January 21 2021 at 11:06

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 11:07
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I found it ominous that Donald Trump said "we'll be back". What does he mean? He returning as the Marshmallow Man, accompanied by Rudy Giuliani as a ghoul, Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley as Count Dracula and his son and Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Taylor Greene as harpies?
He has mentioned a lot of possibilities including a new news network and a new political party (Patriot party). A political foundation that fund raises and supports chosen candidates would be likely, as well as a career as a talk show host like Rush Limbaugh.
Given his feud with Arnold over the The Biggest Loser (or whatever his reality show was called) it is ironic that he would paraphrase one of Arnold's most famous lines.

Trump's show was called the apprentice. I don't think Arnold(if you mean Arnold Schwarzenegger)had a show.

Anyway, yes I don't think the public has seen the last of him especially not his supporters. However, I doubt his career and life will ever be the same. Assuming he's not convicted what will he do? TV won't want him. Politics doesn't want him. The media(unless you mean fox news)in general sure as hell doesn't want him. He would have to start slowly by rebuilding his brand(in whatever shape or form that would take). It is possible as someone mentioned a while back here that he could find his way into the right wing talk show circuit(a la Rush Limbaugh)but I'm skeptical if even that would happen. Yes, he has supporters but what are they going to support him as?
I forgot the name of his show, so the Biggest Loser sounded appropriate.  LOLWink  Anyhow, I believe that there was an additional season of the Apprentice with Arnold as the host after Trump went into politics.  It didn't do very well ratings wise though, hence the feud between Trump and Arnold.  I just recall reading back and forth tweets between the two of them regarding the lower ratings.  I never watched the show though, so don't know if it really existed or if I am imagining this stuff.  Confused
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 11:09
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

He has mentioned a lot of possibilities including a new news network and a new political party (Patriot party)...

Yes, the "Patriot Party". Because "White Racist Camo-Wearing Trailer Trash Party" takes too long to type.

"Patriot Party" and "Monster Mesh" are synonyms.

Patriotism is in my opinion for idiots. Let me quote Schopenhauer on patriotism:

“The cheapest sort of pride is national pride; for if a man is proud of his own nation, it argues that he has no qualities of his own of which he can be proud; otherwise he would not have recourse to those which he shares with so many millions of his fellowmen. The man who is endowed with important personal qualities will be only too ready to see clearly in what respects his own nation falls short, since their failings will be constantly before his eyes. But every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

There are plenty of people, reasonable, liberal, and well intentioned people, who would call out Schopenhauer for such an idiotic statement. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a sense of pride in who you are, or where you come from.

Not all patriots are cheap, imbecilic rednecks. Most liberals, on the other hand, find it utterly impossible to understand anything which makes the common man tick.

I am absolutely with Schopenhauer. there is in my opinion a difference between "patriotism" and "love for one's country". "patriotism" is the position "right or wrong - my country". "love for one's country" is loving it but clearly seeing "in what respect it falls short"
Biden says that wearing a mask is a sign of patriotism.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 11:30

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I found it ominous that Donald Trump said "we'll be back". What does he mean? He returning as the Marshmallow Man, accompanied by Rudy Giuliani as a ghoul, Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley as Count Dracula and his son and Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Taylor Greene as harpies?
He has mentioned a lot of possibilities including a new news network and a new political party (Patriot party). A political foundation that fund raises and supports chosen candidates would be likely, as well as a career as a talk show host like Rush Limbaugh.
Given his feud with Arnold over the The Biggest Loser (or whatever his reality show was called) it is ironic that he would paraphrase one of Arnold's most famous lines.

Trump's show was called the apprentice. I don't think Arnold(if you mean Arnold Schwarzenegger)had a show.

Anyway, yes I don't think the public has seen the last of him especially not his supporters. However, I doubt his career and life will ever be the same. Assuming he's not convicted what will he do? TV won't want him. Politics doesn't want him. The media(unless you mean fox news)in general sure as hell doesn't want him. He would have to start slowly by rebuilding his brand(in whatever shape or form that would take). It is possible as someone mentioned a while back here that he could find his way into the right wing talk show circuit(a la Rush Limbaugh)but I'm skeptical if even that would happen. Yes, he has supporters but what are they going to support him as?
I forgot the name of his show, so the Biggest Loser sounded appropriate.  LOLWink  Anyhow, I believe that there was an additional season of the Apprentice with Arnold as the host after Trump went into politics.  It didn't do very well ratings wise though, hence the feud between Trump and Arnold.  I just recall reading back and forth tweets between the two of them regarding the lower ratings.  I never watched the show though, so don't know if it really existed or if I am imagining this stuff.  Confused

No, that sounds vaguely familiar. I stopped watching the apprentice once it became "the celebrity apprentice." I figured it would be the same thing but with more famous people. Lol.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 11:50

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

If the USA managed to let a clown populist get elected, they also managed to unseat him after one term where such populists have previously held power for a very long time. But Biden needs to somehow use his slim House and Senate majorities to act boldly lest Trump Jr runs in 2024.
Yeah, its hard to get rid of a populist. If trump had gotten a second term we would have been stuck with him for ever.
As for Don Jr, he comes across as kind of weak. I don't think he is particularly popular with repubs or trumpateers. His main pull with trumpateers though is that they would assume his dad would be telling him what to do.
He'd make his dad Secretary of State or some sh*t. Wacko
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 11:55
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

If the USA managed to let a clown populist get elected, they also managed to unseat him after one term where such populists have previously held power for a very long time. But Biden needs to somehow use his slim House and Senate majorities to act boldly lest Trump Jr runs in 2024.
Yeah, its hard to get rid of a populist. If trump had gotten a second term we would have been stuck with him for ever.
As for Don Jr, he comes across as kind of weak. I don't think he is particularly popular with repubs or trumpateers. His main pull with trumpateers though is that they would assume his dad would be telling him what to do.
He'd make his dad Secretary of State or some sh*t. Wacko

If I lived in Elizabethan times I wouldn't even make him secretary of my chamber pot

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 12:01
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ I tend to agree with Friede on "I'm proud to be an American," type of pride. It is like: "I'm proud to be 6'3" tall." If you're tall AND you're an accomplished basketball player, you sure can be proud of yourself.
How can you be proud to be tall, its not an accomplishment, it's just genetics. I'd say that a short person (think NBA's Steve Nash, below NBA's average) who is an accomplished basketball player has much more to be proud of. I guess I'm missing the point here.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 12:05

How can you be proud to be tall, its not an accomplishment, it's just genetics. I'd say that a short person (think NBA's Steve Nash, below NBA's average) who is an accomplished basketball player has much more to be proud of. I guess I'm missing the point here.

You're born American, and I don't see it, per se, as an accomplishment of any sort.

You become tall, and it is not an accomplishment either, in normal cases.

I'm proud of my country, is a statement that I can relate to. But, I'm proud to be an American doesn't make sense to me. Got it? Wink

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 21 2021 at 12:09
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 12:06

Also you're right. Being short and accomplished in basketboll is surely something to be much more proud of. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 12:09

the point is that just like being 6'3'' tall being an American is nothing to be proud of; it is not an achievement of your own. it is just genetics or happening to be born in a certain country respectively; both things are totally random. why should anyone be proud of that?

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 12:19
^Opps, missed your previous post...and ok, maybe I misread Shadowyzard's post. i missed the 'on'. Makes a world of difference in context. Thanks.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 12:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, but we didn't think Trump election was rigged.
Nope, not for a second. It was the natural pushback against the Obama presidency. I'm not one of those who was surprised that Trump won. Just ask micky.

But I always like to remind people he lost the actual popular vote...and only got in because of the Electoral College...which in the US is a topic that deserves to be debated as to whether it still is a good idea....or not.
Stern Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 13:51
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yes, but we didn't think Trump election was rigged.
Nope, not for a second. It was the natural pushback against the Obama presidency. I'm not one of those who was surprised that Trump won. Just ask micky.

But I always like to remind people he lost the actual popular vote...and only got in because of the Electoral College...which in the US is a topic that deserves to be debated as to whether it still is a good idea....or not.
Stern Smile

it is not a good idea. and neither is the second amendment; it does in my opinion have to go. it made sense at a time when law enforcement was not present everywhere, so being able to defend yourself was important. but this is no longer true today.

some people have argued they still need the weapons to be able to defend against someone with a gun. but this is only necessary because due to the second amendment virtually EVERYONE has a gun in the USA, and it is totally easy to legally acquire one, which is why the USA has the highest per capita rate of gun-related deaths in Western civilization. in Germany it is much more difficult to legally acquire a gun.

but I have very little hope the second amendment will disappear. for any politician it would be tantamount to political suicide to suggest something like this in a gun-loving country like the USA. keep in mind that I lived in the USA for almost the first 25 years of my life (just 4 months short of it), so I know what I am talking about

Edited by BaldJean - January 21 2021 at 14:02

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 14:15
Isn't it strange the way the name Patriot Party contains the word 'riot'?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 14:27
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Isn't it strange the way the name Patriot Party contains the word 'riot'?

more than that. it is "pat riot". give it a friendly slap

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 14:51
There is a White House briefing going on right now as I type. I can't believe how many complete sentences I'm hearing. I almost forgot that there are people out there that know how to talk and actually make sense.

Dr. Anthony Fauci also spoke. One of his quotes: "The idea that you can get up here and talk about what you know, what the science is and know that's it, let the science speak -- it is something of a liberating feeling."
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 14:59
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

There is a White House briefing going on right now as I type. I can't believe how many complete sentences I'm hearing. I almost forgot that there are people out there that know how to talk and actually make sense.

Dr. Anthony Fauci also spoke. One of his quotes: "The idea that you can get up here and talk about what you know, what the science is and know that's it, let the science speak -- it is something of a liberating feeling."

Fauci was great! finally someone who gave detailed answers to important questions and not the hogwash of the Trump "experts"

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 15:12
I just watched it as well.
My favourite comment was something to the affect of "If I don't know the answer I'll tell you that and then find out the answer for the next time"
WTF ! Truth? Amazing ! Wink

Edited by JD - January 21 2021 at 15:12
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 15:17
So when is that blonde Qanon woman going to start Biden's impeachment? Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 381382383384385 434>