FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 10:10
and it does appear Trump has made what is going to likely be a fatal 2020 decision...

try to let Obamacare naturally crash (which experts say won't), thus perhaps even intentionally starving Obamacare to make it crash, and try to blame it all on Obama and the Democrats.

Remember.. a couple hundred thousand votes here and there in some states. and he wasn't elected President. It was a very slim win. Take into account a lazy unmotivated Democratic Party that a) wasn't inspired by Hillary or b) thought the election was in the bag.

as we know, and Republicans sure do. The Democratic Party is mobilized and highly engaged by Trump. which does present a big picture problem.

no way an Obamacare sabotage flies... he'll be toast in 2020.. unless... the House flips due to the Democrats finally getting engaged on the grass roots level and turning out to vote.... and he has a more accessible.. and believable target to pin his failing and lack of delivered promises upon. 

Edited by micky - March 25 2017 at 10:12
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 10:27
Re Mickey
We probably should have pyramided our posts, but getting back to the previous post, I think our perspective differs because of the different cultures you and I live in.
The Republican vote around here includes upper and middle class suburbia, as well as working class, blue collar. Memphis may be geographically in the middle of the country, but culturally we are the most northern city in Mississippi, and very much part of the old deep south.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 12:39
Ah yes, great news and honestly...the first time I've felt happy (politically) since Obama's re electionLOL
2010 onward has been a bad bad time

But yeah, at least for now ACA lives on. 
Since it really is a moderate bill, nearly the same as Romney's and based on a Republican idea (the individual mandate) I really believe the mainstream is fine with it. 
They made an 'attempt' to repeal it but now dont actually have to do any work or live with the political consequences of it. Trump can blame Congress, the GOP can blame the Freedom Caucus, guess everyone wins. 

I fear this will embolden the Freedom Caucus, as they have yet again proven they can hold the county hostage....it worked for Democrats this time but in the future likely wont. Still great news. ACA continues, great for Dems, bad for Ryan the GOP continues to show they can only exist as an opposition party and risk becoming ungovernable. I hope this will allow the Dems to push for more health reform. If we took the step back, it was probably game over (at least for 20 years) now we can (hopefully) say: OK see? ACA isnt so bad now that Obama is gone and yall are taking a clearer look at is, and since the GOP plan will be worse maybe time for a public option? 
Maybe, just maybe, we'll get to single payer in my lifeLOL

Anyway Trump says tax reform is next. This is something the GOP will easily back. Only question will be how far do they push it? Also how will they balance their top heavy cuts? The old days of not giving a sh*t are gone the Tea Party wants some attempt at balanced budgets. That means cuts....which suddenly makes it harder for Dems to be on board. I hope they put up a fight and at least minimize the cuts. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 12:43
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

This healthcare thing: I don't live in the US, so perhaps someone could explain to me how such a plan could even be considered.

Over the next few years there would be be tens of thousands of US citizens that will suffer a slow and painful death at the hands of this plan through loss of health insurance.

That's more than any terrorist acts could hope to achieve, short of setting off a nuclear bomb in the middle of New York, which could be considered to be more humane, considering the circumstances. And there are even republicans for whom this plan doesn't go far enough.

As an outsider: this is barbarism on a scope beyond measure.
What's wrong with these republicans?

I have no qualms saying this: They are cruel. 
They are ideologues, they have increasingly bought into the Ayn Rand mentality....no joke. Paul Ryan was a Rand worshipper. 2010 on has flooded the party with Tea Partiers that have these whacky beliefs.
They believe there are makers and takers....businesses are run by gods who scrape and fight for success on the brutal markets, to the winner go the spoils, and everyone else is some lazy mooch. They believe in the idea of markets punishing swiftly and harshly those who "fail" which can be anything from making 1 mistake, being born poor or ya know, not being in the top 1%LOL

They are also ideologues in terms of markets. They dont just think of markets as what they are. It's a religion, and I do mean that. Government is, again no joke, akin to Satan. That's why I think you see such Zeal in the eyes of Mulvaney and co. They are battling some great evil. 
I can't even explain Paul Ryan who was actually on Social Security as a youth after his Father died and wants to privatize social security. He may just be a flat out sociopath

Edited by JJLehto - March 25 2017 at 12:46
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 14:15
“Ryan is an avid hunter and fisherman,” the paper reported, “who does his own skinning and butchering and makes his own Polish sausage and bratwurst.”

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 07:02
Originally posted by js (Easy Money) js (Easy Money) wrote:

Re Mickey
We probably should have pyramided our posts, but getting back to the previous post, I think our perspective differs because of the different cultures you and I live in.
The Republican vote around here includes upper and middle class suburbia, as well as working class, blue collar. Memphis may be geographically in the middle of the country, but culturally we are the most northern city in Mississippi, and very much part of the old deep south.

as I said man... changing...working its way down the coasts.. last seen in what was once deeply red outside of urban sh*tholes....Georgia.. which Trump won of course but not decisively. as  he lost 50% of the winning margin Romney had.. just like Texas..in 2012. The bluing of suburbia and of course the coming minority majority are going to, have already started to flip historically red areas.

but like anything related to social and political evolution and enlightenment...

it will take some time before it reaches the stone ages that is anything related to Mississippi.. northern or not LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 10:54
oh yeah.. that reminds me..

the knives are out in the GOP...  not surprising.. the civil war is now in public view on this Sunday...

loving it...
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 11:43
Another interesting resignation of a White House aide with Russian ties...

http://www.palmerreport.com/news/donald-trumps-russia-scandal-explodes-boris-epshteyn-abruptly-resigns-from-white-house-post/2061/

The plot thickens. Too many coincidences to be coincidental. It is past time for an independent investigation into this mess, as Rep. Nunes as lead investigator on the Intelligence Committee is like having Grima Wormtongue investigate Saruman.Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 15:44
lets try this again.. just lost a post to ONE incorrect attempt at finding f**kING STREET SiGNS

yes.. that story is sort of flying under the radar today in the aftermath of the health care debacle.  The interesting point is this guy wasn't previously mentioned in any probes.  Quit out out of thin air. Makes you wonder if indeed Flynn did take a deal with the FBI to avoid jail and is talking and telling all he knows.

So where does it stop. Normally I'm not into conspiracy sh*t. .but man alive there really is so much smoke.. there reasonably has to be one hell of a fire

I do have my money on welcoming our 46th President, Pence, and a new Democratic Congress in 2018.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 16:13
one thing that will need to soon be written into our political lexicon

catastrophic success...

already bit the Congress on the ass.  They never expected to be IN power.. and obviously were not prepared to be anything but mud slingers and little children being against anything and everything the other side did.  Likely will cost them and thankfully by the time they learn (if they do) they'll be out on their asses.

The more interesting and perhaps historical application of that might be for Trump...  no one thought he'd be elected. None more so than himself.....  many did wonder why he was running.. and many thought it was *of course) to amp up his brandname and a TV network he was planning to do after the election.

wow...  and to think the election itself was mind boggling..  even the thought we ourselves are perhaps in the midst of what our parents saw and a complete dumpster fire of Presidency...  good times. 
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 16:53
I don’t quite get this "the GOP was not prepared for office" thing.

Over the course of time it’s been quite usual for any opposition to slipp (see what I did there?) into the governing role after an election and vice versa, so why should it be a problem for this transition in particular?

It’s only been 8 years since Bush junior was President, and a lot of the same faces are still around in the GOP. So even if they didn’t expect to get into office this time around, it’s hardly as if they were all newbies.

Edited by npjnpj - March 26 2017 at 16:56
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:06

Over the course of time it’s been quite usual for any opposition to slipp (see what I did there?) into the governing role after an election and vice versa, so why should it be a problem for this transition in particular?

It’s only been 8 years since Bush junior was President, and a lot of the same faces are still around in the GOP. So even if they didn’t expect to get into office this time around, it’s hardly as if they were all newbies.

what is not to get.. they have spent the last 10 years being against everything the Democrats have done.  How many times did they vote to repeal Obamacare...  knowing it would never pass (survive a veto). Yet when Trump voter lost their minds, their sences and the wits and elected him they surprised everyone.. none more than Trump and the GOP leaders. It is one thing to oppoose based on pure ideology ..  it is quite the other to try to goven based on pure ideology.. which is what the health care bill was all about. Who cares if millions lose their coverage.. costs for seniors go up 100's of percent...  it was something ideologically based. Fear of big government and cutting taxes.  They will need to learn what the Democrats have mastered.. ideology is great for feeding the masses.. but real governing makes give and take, compromise and considering the results on the people more than party loyalty or petty ideology.

As has been brought up many times in the last few days..  the GOP had 7 years to craft something to replace it.. they never did... and it showed.. they simply didn't care. It was all about pleasing their knuckle head supporters.. REPEAL REPEAL REPEAL.. whoops... no Democrat to veto that... you mean we have to eiether explain why we are taking away health coverage from millions.. or come up with a better system.

nope.. was beyond their abilites.. as I've said.. their ideology is bankrupt.. it works if being sold to idiot supporters.. in practial reality..  it is bankrupt... 
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:56
I think we might be talking at cross-purposes here.
I assumed the comments about the GOP's unpreparedness was a generalization, pertaining to overall governmental functions.
If they were only directed at the health care bill, then of course: the GOP just didn't do their homework for seven years, and the subject is just too complex to knock out in a sitting or two. Who knew it could be so complicated? Big smile
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:56
Deleted

Edited by npjnpj - March 26 2017 at 17:59
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:10

I think we might be talking at cross-purposes here.
I assumed the comments about the GOP's unpreparedness was a generalization, pertaining to overall governmental functions.
If they were only directed at the health care bill, then of course: the GOP just didn't do their homework for seven years, and the subject is just too complex to knock out in a sitting or two. Who knew it could be so complicated? Big smile

it is a generalization... health care is just the proof of it if you will. The inability to govern due to being stuck in an ideological mindset. .for when you are an opposition party.. that is all you have man.

and health care complicated? yes.. but likely the easiest thing they wanted to tackle. It took the Democrats 10 months in Congress to pass the ACA... preceded by years of ground work laid (including input from Republicans) prior to even being introduced. 

Tax reform? haha..  and you thought health care was complex and politically divisive.. The last tax reform took 2 years to get through Congress.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:11
Republicans complain that government can't do anything right, so they get into office and they prove it.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:13
or better...

people claim government is broken.. and does nothing.. yet continue to elect Republicans..
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 21:07
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

or better...

people claim government is broken.. and does nothing.. yet continue to elect Republicans..

There's a book I'm on the verge of ordering. I've wanted to read it for some time now. It's called, What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America, by Thomas Frank. I heard the author speak a couple times a few years ago on C-Span about people voting against their interest. He had a lot of good insight. I have a lot of relatives in Kansas too.

He also (on TV) lamented the loss of blue collar liberals over the years, something which we could have used more of in the last election. I believe this is an issue he delves into in this book.

Edited by HackettFan - March 26 2017 at 21:16
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 23:52

It's because the party is extremely divided. The mainstream/Tea Party chasm is deep. Despite having total domination of Congress they only BARELY got budgets passed by working with Democrats. There is a large  bloc that is quite radical, belligerent and obstructionist. The Freedom Caucus, (I lump it in with the general tea party movement but I guess they're an even more extreme offshoot) has proven they will go to extreme lengths....such as forcing out the current Speaker of the House, and demanding someone they like be put in. Or allowing ACA to remain in place, because they refused a more conservative bill for not being conservative enough. They tried to shut down the whole government over Planned Parenthood funding and the Tea Partiers in general have done things like oppose funding for Flint, MI, oppose more funding for Zika research. These are radical people, and basically make the GOP impossible to govern. And while many old names are still around, there have been many many new ones since 2010, and they've taken over the party.

On top of that, it seems crazy they could spend all these years opposing without any plan at all, but clearly that was the case. I think they WERE unprepared to govern. I think they believed, like all of us, Clinton would win. They were ready to do what they know best: obstruct and hurl sh*t. They would be united in trashing the President, and it was also pretty widely believed the Dems would take the Senate. 
Suddenly they have the WH, (under an unstable loon they dont really like) and both chambers of Congress. They expected to keep yelling "Repeal Obamacare!" with no realistic means to do it, now they do....this caught em totally by surprised and were indeed unprepared. 

But ACA is a moderate bill the mainstream is actually OK with (unless they have believed their own lies) they will blame the Freedom Caucus and Democrats, somehow, and move onto tax cuts, deregulations, budget cutswhich they will certainly get passed. Just depends on how much.

I will be totally fair, they DO have to deal with Trump. That is a task that no one can envy, even less so figure out how to handle. And at first they accepted this deal with the devil because they could get what they want, but it's already looking like he is truly unhinged with Bannon holding the real power, Trump just wants to enrich himself and Russia and the GOP chasm has reopened. They are reaping what they have sown big time

Edited by JJLehto - March 26 2017 at 23:55
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 00:32
Thanks for the explanations, guys. I hadn't realised that the Conservatives had become so disrupted since Bush's administration. I only really got interested in US internal politics since Trump's name suddenly came up last year, so there's a lot I have to catch up on.

Edited by npjnpj - March 27 2017 at 00:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 434>