Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, but the Nazis were not wearing FDR caps and buttons. A bit of a different dymanic I should think

No, think of it in context, Steve: in the 40s Americans were Nazis and Nazi sympathisers and spoke glowingly of Hitler; now, European Nazis are wearing MAGA hats and an Aussie writes a Trump manifesto while slaughtering dozens of people in a New Zealand mosque. I believe the technical term would be "bleached-white sphincter reciprocity".
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:09
There is definitely a twisted retroprocity, no doubt about that.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:09
Sometimes I think Trump has no real politics and is quite bright, but conceals it in order to consolidate the lunatic base.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:15
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Sometimes I think Trump has no real politics and is quite bright, but conceals it in order to consolidate the lunatic base.

He likes to win. That is his motivation.
Edit: but I don't think he is all that bright, brighter and more pragmatic than a lot of his supporters, but that isn't saying much.

Edited by Easy Money - September 19 2020 at 18:17
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:17
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

As you know, I have a daughter in college. She has been raised to be an independent thinker and to rely on her own talent and skills. She has every right to make decisions regarding her health and her life, and not be overruled by some decrepit fundamentalists spewing bronze age mythological nonsense.

There were thousands of American Nazis and Nazi sympathisers during Hitler's reign of terror. Charles Lindbergh, for instance. Sh*t not only floats, but it sticks together. Which is why it's so hard to get off the bottom of your boot.

Hear, hear!  Beer
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:20
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

He likes to win. That is his motivation.

Of course it is, to the exclusion of all else.  Quite brilliant.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

There were thousands of American Nazis and Nazi sympathisers during Hitler's reign of terror. Charles Lindbergh, for instance. Sh*t not only floats, but it sticks together. Which is why it's so hard to get off the bottom of your boot.
And Joe Kennedy Sr., Henry Ford, Howard Hughes, Walt Disney, on and on ...

Assh*les.

Edited by Atavachron - September 19 2020 at 18:26
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:28
i amuse myself these days by arguing with people about trump on the local Nextdoor site from a principled conservative viewpoint. A cliche liberal response is too easy for them to ignore so I go for something that hits a little harder for them to respond to. A couple of local well educated repubs will join with me including a past assistant to Kemp.

Anyway, most trump supporters I encounter are locked into an ignorant cult of personality derangement based on media propaganda and have very little knowledge of politics either right or left, They cannot discuss anything at any depth, including classic conservative viewpoints on government.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:36
These are people who think that Biden runs a ring of Saten worshiping pedophiles. What did you expect, Rhodes scholars?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:43

These are people who think that Biden runs a ring of Saten worshiping pedophiles. What did you expect, Rhodes scholars?
  The amount of disdain for knowledge and intellectualism with them is just flabbergasting to me.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 18:44
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

i amuse myself these days by arguing with people about trump on the local Nextdoor site from a principled conservative viewpoint. A cliche liberal response is too easy for them to ignore so I go for something that hits a little harder for them to respond to. A couple of local well educated repubs will join with me including a past assistant to Kemp.

Anyway, most trump supporters I encounter are locked into an ignorant cult of personality derangement based on media propaganda and have very little knowledge of politics either right or left, They cannot discuss anything at any depth, including classic conservative viewpoints on government.
  I find that many of them just post meme after meme after meme on places like fb.  No discussion whatsoever, even if asked to politely engage and explain their viewpoints.  Which I don't even try, just something I've witnessed.

Edited by Snicolette - September 19 2020 at 18:45
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 01:09
Look, if anyone is dumb as sh*t, expert knowledge and intelligence must be really scary because they're so alien. So of course you welcome the current tendency to vilify these and support a government that shows you how important and valuable you really are.

As they say: one of the worst things on Earth is an idiot with an opinion. But why are there so many of them?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 08:11
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Look, if anyone is dumb as sh*t, expert knowledge and intelligence must be really scary because they're so alien. So of course you welcome the current tendency to vilify these and support a government that shows you how important and valuable you really are.

As they say: one of the worst things on Earth is an idiot with an opinion. But why are there so many of them?

I don't even think it's pure ignorance as in uneducated and unaware.  I think Trump like other demagogues inspires passions to such an extent that very well educated people lock themselves in intellectual gymnastics to defend him, making arguments they would probably laugh at if made on somebody else's behalf. 

As always, looking at developments at home gives me a window into what is happening in the case of Trump.  Our Commerce Minister is not only a Chartered Accountant (CPA) but a gold medalist.  He doesn't lack for education or reasoning abilities.  I once had the opportunity to observe him at work in an industry-govt meeting and he was both sharp and sharp-tongued alright.  Now imagine this man making a statement like "dropping out of school didn't stop Einstein from discovering gravity" in defence of anti-intellectualism.  Why, why, why?  I don't believe he doesn't actually know who discovered gravity.  They just get so locked into anti-rational arguments that it sort of becomes second nature for them to say things that would come across as ignorant.  But since they don't see themselves as ignorant, those laughing at such statements and calling them ignorant is deeply offensive to them and they double down on their support for the demagogue in question. 

Scott Adams described in 2015 how Trump was using specific words to hypnotize voters and cited some (possibly dubious) qualifications in the art of hypnosis as his credentials to back such a judgment.  I think in retrospect (looking at Adams' own descent down the drain of Trumpism) Adams was actually describing the process of himself getting hypnotized.  He was self-aware enough to observe that this was what was happening to him but seemingly disgusted enough with 'liberals' that he didn't resist this and allowed himself to be sucked into it.  And I think that possibly happens with many Trump supporters.  What people call ignorance is actually a defensive shield mounted by a strong emotional connection to Trump or rather the causes Trump has promised to fight for.  The chief cause in this case being 'owning the libs'.  And if liberals truly are befuddled as to why owning the libs became so important for Trump supporters, maybe they should reflect on comments like Obama's 'clinging to their guns, racism' or Hillary's 'basket of deplorables'. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 09:03
I believe that people like to have someone confirm what they already think or believe. Trump just fits that role for many Americans.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 09:09

I believe that people like to have someone confirm what they already think or believe. Trump just fits that role for many Americans.

Don't remember which pollster mentioned this recently, but he said Trump talked the way many working class center right voters do, which was what made them connect to him. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 09:12
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I believe that peoples i like to have someone confirm what they already think or believe. Trump just fits that role for many Americans.

Don't remember which pollster mentioned this recently, but he said Trump talked the way many working class center right voters do, which was what made them connect to him. 
Yes, he connects with his followers.No doubt about that. It's his most outstanding feature. He even makes lies believable. Just like Hitler. Lol But again, his followers want to believe them. A very strange symbiotic relationship.

Edited by SteveG - September 20 2020 at 09:19
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 09:41

I believe that peoples i like to have someone confirm what they already think or believe. Trump just fits that role for many Americans.

Yes, he connects with his followers.No doubt about that. It's his most outstanding feature. He even makes lies believable. Just like Hitler. Lol But again, his followers want to believe them. A very strange symbiotic relationship.

At a certain point, these people found the distance necessitated by the language of statesmanship off-putting/intimidating, however it may be. Career politicians would have worried about the consequences of not issuing a poll-tested message.  Trump didn't go into this thinking he would win, so he went all out. Much to his chagrin, he won and now his ego won't permit him to accept he failed and walk away.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 11:08

I don't even think it's pure ignorance as in uneducated and unaware.  I think Trump like other demagogues inspires passions to such an extent that very well educated people lock themselves in intellectual gymnastics to defend him, making arguments they would probably laugh at if made on somebody else's behalf. 

As always, looking at developments at home gives me a window into what is happening in the case of Trump.  Our Commerce Minister is not only a Chartered Accountant (CPA) but a gold medalist.  He doesn't lack for education or reasoning abilities.  I once had the opportunity to observe him at work in an industry-govt meeting and he was both sharp and sharp-tongued alright.  Now imagine this man making a statement like "dropping out of school didn't stop Einstein from discovering gravity" in defence of anti-intellectualism.  Why, why, why?  I don't believe he doesn't actually know who discovered gravity.  They just get so locked into anti-rational arguments that it sort of becomes second nature for them to say things that would come across as ignorant.  But since they don't see themselves as ignorant, those laughing at such statements and calling them ignorant is deeply offensive to them and they double down on their support for the demagogue in question. 

Scott Adams described in 2015 how Trump was using specific words to hypnotize voters and cited some (possibly dubious) qualifications in the art of hypnosis as his credentials to back such a judgment.  I think in retrospect (looking at Adams' own descent down the drain of Trumpism) Adams was actually describing the process of himself getting hypnotized.  He was self-aware enough to observe that this was what was happening to him but seemingly disgusted enough with 'liberals' that he didn't resist this and allowed himself to be sucked into it.  And I think that possibly happens with many Trump supporters.  What people call ignorance is actually a defensive shield mounted by a strong emotional connection to Trump or rather the causes Trump has promised to fight for.  The chief cause in this case being 'owning the libs'.  And if liberals truly are befuddled as to why owning the libs became so important for Trump supporters, maybe they should reflect on comments like Obama's 'clinging to their guns, racism' or Hillary's 'basket of deplorables'. 
It isn't even true that Einstein dropped out of school. He dropped out of German school but went to Switzerland to attend school there. At age 15, by the way.

Edited by BaldFriede - September 20 2020 at 11:09

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 16:30
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

It isn't even true that Einstein dropped out of school. He dropped out of German school but went to Switzerland to attend school there. At age 15, by the way.

I know. The modus operandi of such people is to get it wrong bigly and not just a little wrong. To make it absurd, so that it is a sure fire bait.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 16:47
The right has grouped interlectualism with elitism. How convenient.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 434>