Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 17:31
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The right has grouped interlectualism with elitism. How convenient.

are they wrong to?  

One could argue that.. and I have a long Mick-post chambered but for once with the safety on.. 

that is the only goddamned thing those far right morons are correct about.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 18:11
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Sometimes I think Trump has no real politics and is quite bright, but conceals it in order to consolidate the lunatic base.

He likes to win. That is his motivation.
Edit: but I don't think he is all that bright, brighter and more pragmatic than a lot of his supporters, but that isn't saying much.

I like to win too, and have actually won 4 elections out of 5 in which I've been a candidate. But I would never tailor my manifesto to appeal to the sort of supporter base Trump plays to. I have too much self respect to stoop that low.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 18:14
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Sometimes I think Trump has no real politics and is quite bright, but conceals it in order to consolidate the lunatic base.

Edit: but I don't think he is all that bright, brighter and more pragmatic than a lot of his supporters, but that isn't saying much.

I like to win too, and have actually won 4 elections out of 5 in which I've been a candidate. But I would never tailor my manifesto to appeal to the sort of supporter base Trump plays to. I have too much self respect to stoop that low.
Good, keep it up.   
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 18:20
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Look, if anyone is dumb as sh*t, expert knowledge and intelligence must be really scary because they're so alien. So of course you welcome the current tendency to vilify these and support a government that shows you how important and valuable you really are.

As they say: one of the worst things on Earth is an idiot with an opinion. But why are there so many of them?

I saw an interesting poll the other day: 89% of Americans who believe in the Flat Earth theory intend to vote for Trump. They think he's the only politician who stands against the "Global Conspiracy" that is spreading lies about the shape of the earth, vaccines, chemtrails, 5G, the Moon landings, satellites, evolution and all the other stuff that they haven't the intellect to understand so they rubbish from a standpoint of nothing other than personal incredulity.
He dismisses everything critical of him as a "hoax" or "fake news", as do they of anything that contradicts their insane view of the world. So they love him.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 19:33
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

The right has grouped interlectualism with elitism. How convenient.

are they wrong to?  

One could argue that.. and I have a long Mick-post chambered but for once with the safety on.. 

that is the only goddamned thing those far right morons are correct about.

I can argue that. Interlectuals are the same as everyone else. Some are cool and some are not. Just like non interlectuals. Pff. Such profiling from you Micky. Such prejudice. Lol
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 07:06

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Good, keep it up.   
But I live in Yorkshire, (England, UK, Europe) so no help to you in Memphis!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 07:41
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I believe that people like to have someone confirm what they already think or believe. Trump just fits that role for many Americans.

Don't remember which pollster mentioned this recently, but he said Trump talked the way many working class center right voters do, which was what made them connect to him. 

I have heard this said before, but most center-right working class folks I've had the experience of talking to over the last couple decades of my life don't talk like Trump does. Those that do seem to be in the minority and are usually known as braggarts. Like the rest of us, they know what they are and they tend to try to avoid getting trapped into conversations with braggarts. I don't know how these folks don't see this attribute in Trump. 

If they do see this and are willing to dismiss it, then there is something more going on here. Partly it can be blamed on right-wing media (Limbaugh, Alex Jones, Fox News, etc.) which oversimplifies almost everything into black and white, when most things are many shades of gray. The other part I think is that the Democrats haven't really tried hard enough to reach out to rural populations. And then there is the abortion thing. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 09:02
Being old, decrepit and having a slew of MDs, it amazes me how many of then tout the Trump/Republican covid stance. Examples would be "sure there's more cases but we're doing more testing than before", etc. etc. If my life wasn't in their hands, I would gladly ask them to explain why drinking Lysol and bleach would be good for eradicating covid. The strange thing is that they are all great doctors that know medicine inside and out. What causes these lapses in common sense?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 10:06
A new, upcoming song from US band Crack The Sky, to be released just in time for the inauguration.  This is how I've been feeling things are going lately.  I really hope that it isn't a prediction for the future.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:25
I know a lot of songs that fit well with the current political climate. But they were all written in the sixties. Confused Groovy.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 23:35
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Don't remember which pollster mentioned this recently, but he said Trump talked the way many working class center right voters do, which was what made them connect to him. 

I have heard this said before, but most center-right working class folks I've had the experience of talking to over the last couple decades of my life don't talk like Trump does. Those that do seem to be in the minority and are usually known as braggarts. Like the rest of us, they know what they are and they tend to try to avoid getting trapped into conversations with braggarts. I don't know how these folks don't see this attribute in Trump. 

If they do see this and are willing to dismiss it, then there is something more going on here. Partly it can be blamed on right-wing media (Limbaugh, Alex Jones, Fox News, etc.) which oversimplifies almost everything into black and white, when most things are many shades of gray. The other part I think is that the Democrats haven't really tried hard enough to reach out to rural populations. And then there is the abortion thing. 

I remembered the pollster.  Rich Thau.  I think he meant more the issues and views Trump brought to the table on immigration, trade, manufacturing exodus than the tone itself.  

Thau has been doing a swing voter project where it would appear huge majorities of his (small) samples are voting against Trump in Pennsylvania but less so in Michigan and the samples are overwhelmingly in favour of Biden in Wisconsin.  Note that these are all people who voted for Trump (I think) in 2016, so even if Biden is splicing off a small minority of them to his side, it could be enough to tip the scales in all three states.

I think Biden has so far reflected better political instincts than Clinton in 2016 and makes up through his folksiness and empathy what he lacks in aggression. Whether it will be enough will only become clear after the election, but he has done well to skirt the usually thinly veiled and sometimes open contempt the rich suburbanite Dems seem to have for working class voters. Case in point:  Stephanie Ruhle getting all upset on air that Biden told working class voters that this election is Scranton v/s Park Avenue.  Well, what else did you think he would tell them, he's going about it smartly, get out of his way.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 14:29
Now that Trump has floated a religious conservative as a replacement for RBG, Mitt Romney is all in. A new Justice to the SCOTUS before the elections in November? Very possible.

Edited by SteveG - September 22 2020 at 14:32
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 14:59
Oh it's happening. No one should be surprised by this. People (mainly liberals) have to accept that it'll be 6-3 for 35+ years if action isn't taken to reshape the court. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 15:05
Trump will nominate someone and they'll get confirmed.  That's how it works, and Liberals had it pretty good for a long time.   Add to that the fact that many of the conservative justices have tended to be unpredictable in their voting, often in support of civil rights.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 15:42

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I remembered the pollster.  Rich Thau.  I think he meant more the issues and views Trump brought to the table on immigration, trade, manufacturing exodus than the tone itself.  

Thau has been doing a swing voter project where it would appear huge majorities of his (small) samples are voting against Trump in Pennsylvania but less so in Michigan and the samples are overwhelmingly in favour of Biden in Wisconsin.  Note that these are all people who voted for Trump (I think) in 2016, so even if Biden is splicing off a small minority of them to his side, it could be enough to tip the scales in all three states.

I think Biden has so far reflected better political instincts than Clinton in 2016 and makes up through his folksiness and empathy what he lacks in aggression. Whether it will be enough will only become clear after the election, but he has done well to skirt the usually thinly veiled and sometimes open contempt the rich suburbanite Dems seem to have for working class voters. Case in point:  Stephanie Ruhle getting all upset on air that Biden told working class voters that this election is Scranton v/s Park Avenue.  Well, what else did you think he would tell them, he's going about it smartly, get out of his way.

OK, thanks for clarifying. I agree with everything you have said here.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 17:12

Liberals had it pretty good for a long time.   

lolwut 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 17:37
^ Well they did.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 17:50
The last time I looked, Clarence Thomas was no spring chicken. If Biden gets in in 2020, there is the possibility that balance could be restored back to 5-4. With Roberts again being the swing vote. Now, doesn't that make you feel better?

Edited by SteveG - September 22 2020 at 17:55
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 18:05
^ Agreed, though when you look at the Supreme's photos they all look pretty healthy & youthful (considering).   I think the best we can hope for is a heart attack or cancer which I wouldn't wish on anyone, politics or not.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 18:10
Ditto.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 434>