FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 379380381382383 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 15:51
The sad thing is that half the country is convinced that the election was fraudulent.  I do find it hard to believe that that many people did vote in the election this year, but being able to mail in the ballot rather than going in person probably contributed to a lot of that.  And I suppose that it didn't hurt that there was so much dislike for the current president that it motivated a lot of people who normally wouldn't have bother to vote, to vote just to remove Trump.  
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:03
They should have let Mieskuoro Huutajat perform "The Star Spangled Banner" instead of Lady Gaga.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:04
80 million Biden votes to 74 million Trump votes is close enough to half. Regardless, it's an aweful lot of people who voted for Trump, and if just a quarter of those think the election is rigged then that's a lot of people who will never accept Biden as president.

Edited by SteveG - January 20 2021 at 16:05
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:08
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The sad thing is that half the country is convinced that the election was fraudulent.  I do find it hard to believe that that many people did vote in the election this year, but being able to mail in the ballot rather than going in person probably contributed to a lot of that.  And I suppose that it didn't hurt that there was so much dislike for the current president that it motivated a lot of people who normally wouldn't have bother to vote, to vote just to remove Trump.  
I checked the stats on that, any stats I could find were from before any of this went to court, so it would be interesting to see where people are at now after the court's decisions.
What was most surprising though was that a large number of Democrats thought they stole the election.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:09
^ Just because half the people voted for him doesn't mean they all think the election was fraudulent.   I take most Trump voters to be normal mainstream conservatives who don't seem to be able to read psychotic behavior when they see it.   But that doesn't necessarily mean they're stupid or don't believe their own representatives, e.g. McConnell, when they say 'Trump lost'.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:09
I think that I mentioned this before, but I remember reading a comment from Mary Trump, Trump's niece, where she said that if her uncle is spouting conspiracies about the other side it is likely because it is something that he is doing.  What wouldn't surprise me is that if Trump somehow did steal the 2016 election by stealing votes and thinking that we would win again in 2020 by stealing votes again, but it turns out he didn't steal as many votes as he thought that he needed to.  ***I have absolutely no proof of this and do not profess that this theory is true, but on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if it were to be true.****

Edited by rushfan4 - January 20 2021 at 16:10
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:12
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I checked the stats on that, any stats I could find were from before any of this went to court, so it would be interesting to see where people are at now after the court's decisions.
What was most surprising though was that a large number of Democrats thought they stole the election.
It seems like I recently saw a survey where up to 70% of Republicans thought that the election was stolen. 

This was an older article but it says 77% of Trump voters thought it was fraud.  77% of Trump voters blame fraud for loss to Biden, despite lack of evidence (dallasnews.com)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:13
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:14
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Just because half the people voted for him doesn't mean they all think the election was fraudulent.   I take most Trump voters to be normal mainstream conservatives who don't seem to be able to read psychotic behavior when they see it.   But that doesn't necessarily mean they're stupid or don't believe their own representatives, e.g. McConnell, when they say 'Trump lost'.
I don't think that rushfan thinks that all 74 million think that the election is stolen but the failure of Mitch and other Republican hacks to denounce the steal as soon as Trump and Guiliani started spreading the conspiracy caused many to think it was and is true.

Edited by SteveG - January 20 2021 at 16:16
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:18

I don't think half but maybe 40 percent. Not all republicans think that either. The percentage I heard was about 85 percent.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 20 2021 at 16:19
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:18
Well they'll just have to suck it up, like Dems did in 2020.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:23
Yes, but we didn't think Trump election was rigged.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:31
Didn't we?   Just a little bit?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:37

Most trump voters I know in person and on local social media are not particularly vehement about the election being stolen. They just don't trust mail in voting and they think that is where the corruption took place. People fraudulently taking advantage of mail in voting.
My main problem with that is that if mail in voting is susceptible to fraud, then what would have stopped trump's gang from taking advantage of it too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:41

I'm not a dem, but I also don't recall sucking up anything, lol. I battled trumpateers endlessly on the internet for the past 4 years. I can retire now.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, but we didn't think Trump election was rigged.
Nope, not for a second. It was the natural pushback against the Obama presidency. I'm not one of those who was surprised that Trump won. Just ask micky.

Edited by SteveG - January 20 2021 at 16:43
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:51

I'm not a dem, but I also don't recall sucking up anything, lol. I battled trumpateers endlessly on the internet for the past 4 years. I can retire now.

You might be one of the few republicans in here then. Wink Unless you are a libertarian or some other smaller party member. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:52
I didn't think 2016 was rigged in the sense Trumpeters say 2020 was rigged.  I do think the combination of Russian interference and the last minute revelation about Hilary's emails were too much for the headwinds she was facing anyways
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:54
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I didn't think 2016 was rigged in the sense Trumpeters say 2020 was rigged.  I do think the combination of Russian interference and the last minute revelation about Hilary's emails were too much for the headwinds she was facing anyways
Trump had a lot against him too. The grab the pussy tape being just one example.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:55
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

You might be one of the few republicans in here then. Wink Unless you are a libertarian or some other smaller party member. 
Just an open minded independent who sees good points and bad points in both parties, but I absolutely could not stand trump, and I know lots of repubs who feel the same way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 379380381382383 434>