Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 398399400401402 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 12:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm afraid that the migration/border problem will end up being Biden's Achilles Heel. What's your thoughts?
I'll add this, Ceaser Chavez, very leftist Latino labor leader was adamantly opposed to illegal immigration as he saw it as hurting US labor, especially US Latinos. I don't have a particular opinion myself as I see this as outside my personal concerns, but I think sleepy Joe should listen to the people who are concerned and not take a knee jerk anti-trump response.
I was disgusted by trump's racist speech about illegal immigrants, but that doesn't mean it isn't a complex issue that deserves serious consideration.
I do more or less support DACA, but more from a pro-child perspective.

Edited by Easy Money - March 22 2021 at 12:24
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 12:30
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I'm afraid that the migration/border problem will end up being Biden's Achilles Heel. What's your thoughts?
I'll add this, Ceaser Chavez, very leftist Latino labor leader was adamantly opposed to illegal immigration as he saw it as hurting US labor, especially US Latinos. I don't have a particular opinion myself as I see this as outside my personal concerns, but I think sleepy Joe should listen to the people who are concerned and not take a knee jerk anti-trump response.
I was disgusted by trump's racist speech about illegal immigrants, but that doesn't mean it isn't a complex issue that deserves serious consideration.
I do more or less support DACA, but more from a pro-child perspective.
I'm not sure what to do about the mass influx, but ignoring it certainly won't help.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 12:57
^ Yeah, that sounds about right to me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 13:27
trump is a master of one issue politics and poking an open wound over and over again. Your right, this issue is Joe's achilles heel and trump knows it.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 14:28
What do you think of Trump starting his own Social Media website?  Will the Trump supporters leave Twitter and Facebook and Instagram to go to his site or will they just add his site to their list of sites to "socialize" on.

Edited by rushfan4 - March 22 2021 at 14:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 14:47
Just add to their list, I'm sure there are more sites to come. Very few of my more conservative farcebook friends dumped farcebook for that other new one, ... salon right?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 14:52

trump is a master of one issue politics and poking an open wound over and over again. Your right, this issue is Joe's achilles heel and trump knows it.
Yeah this one nasty political football. Biden can't do squat about the border crisis for fear of alienating his Latino voters and Trump knows it. He will beat Joe down with this for years
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 15:55
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

What do you think of Trump starting his own Social Media website?  Will the Trump supporters leave Twitter and Facebook and Instagram to go to his site or will they just add his site to their list of sites to "socialize" on.

Wherever they can get misinformation that tells them what they want to hear is where they will go. There's still plenty of lies and misinformation in conservative groups on fb so I see no reason they would leave. There's crackpots on twitter too just like every else. I'm not sure about instagram since that seems more like a platform for sharing photos but anything is possible. 

Also, just yesterday I accidently discovered this conservative website called Prager(pragerU actually). It looks decent enough if you are a conservative but I just don't buy the arguments on there(mainly because I'm not a conservative). At least it doesn't seem to try to promote conspiracy theories(although it might I didn't really spend a whole lot of time on there). I think ultimately conservatives and those on the left just have diferent values. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 22 2021 at 16:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 16:34

Yeah this one nasty political football. Biden can't do squat about the border crisis for fear of alienating his Latino voters and Trump knows it. He will beat Joe down with this for years
Joe would be making a big mistake if he thinks all Latinos are sympathetic to illegal immigrants.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2021 at 04:55

Joe would be making a big mistake if he thinks all Latinos are sympathetic to illegal immigrants.
Oh, that's absolutely true, but I don't think that they are the ones who voted for him. Many Latinos are Republicans too. Perhaps more than some people realize.

Edited by SteveG - March 23 2021 at 05:10
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 05:44

thoughts Steve?  As you asked a week ago.. thus a week late reply is telling in answering that...

Immigration is broken.. has long been broken.. quite simply it is not a problem of Biden's doing but yes he owns it. It comes with the job..LOL

thus it is added to long list of ...

gun violence...
democratic partisan shennigans..
continued pandemic economic unheaval..

all of which reared their ugly heads this week.. sucking the non right-wing news bubble oxygen out of this..

ring wingers eat it up.... for everyone else..  we have a much bigger problems that we expect Biden to focus on that immigration which barely fits a top 5 list of immediate problems we have now.

Edited by micky - March 27 2021 at 05:46
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 07:57
as far as the whole voting rights dealio... really curious to see what Chucky does.. there isn't going to be any kind of bi-partisan voting rights act come out of the Senate.  Does he nuke the fillabuster now.. or does he wait and see first off what the courts end up saying about it. Well.. what the Supreme Court does.. which we all suspect.. they'll knock down the lower court injunctions which are sure to come.

the Senate math is facinating regarding the fillabuster...  there is going to be no 2022 election preview from me as so much is still up in the air regarding the census.. my gut is the Dems will barely hold on the House.  While several GOP states are due to gain seats.. seats are done propotionally.. and those states can not add rural seats.. but suburban.. even in Texas for example and those are not necessary safe GOP additions.. and as the courts have shown..  blatant gerrymandering will be knocked down.  My suspicion is the Dems win a few seats back that they gained in 2018.. lost in 2020 due to Trump voter saturation.. and net lose a few of the redrawn districts for the census.  I'd say a net GOP pickup of a couple of seats but not enough to flip control.  Too many centrists are going to look at the GOP.. and say.. Margarie Green.. do we REALLY want her and her party in charge??  Nope.. not enough swing suburban voters will be willing to take that chance IMO in 2022.

the Senate is FAR FAR FAR more interesting.. still early (future retirements) but at this point out. THe Senate hinges on 4 seats..  AZ, GA, PA, NC..   both AZ and PA look to be fairly safe hold/pick up.  Thus a +1 for the Dems. I think Schumer will have to wait to nuke the fillabuster to see if they hold GA... and most importantly.. pick up a 2nd seat in NC.. 

that 2nd pickup will be vital for in 2024.. the Dems face the very real possibility of losing 2.  Tester in Mont.. and (his political acumen aside) Manchin in WV.  I think Schumer is smart enough to not torch the filibuster not until 2022.. and only if they have at least a 2 seat edge.  That is the smart move .. but then again.. we have come to expect Senate Majority leaders (looking at you Darth McConnell) making absolutely stupid decisions haha.

Edited by micky - March 27 2021 at 07:58
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 09:26
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

as far as the whole voting rights dealio... really curious to see what Chucky does.. there isn't going to be any kind of bi-partisan voting rights act come out of the Senate.  Does he nuke the fillabuster now.. or does he wait and see first off what the courts end up saying about it. Well.. what the Supreme Court does.. which we all suspect.. they'll knock down the lower court injunctions which are sure to come.

the Senate math is facinating regarding the fillabuster...  there is going to be no 2022 election preview from me as so much is still up in the air regarding the census.. my gut is the Dems will barely hold on the House.  While several GOP states are due to gain seats.. seats are done propotionally.. and those states can not add rural seats.. but suburban.. even in Texas for example and those are not necessary safe GOP additions.. and as the courts have shown..  blatant gerrymandering will be knocked down.  My suspicion is the Dems win a few seats back that they gained in 2018.. lost in 2020 due to Trump voter saturation.. and net lose a few of the redrawn districts for the census.  I'd say a net GOP pickup of a couple of seats but not enough to flip control.  Too many centrists are going to look at the GOP.. and say.. Margarie Green.. do we REALLY want her and her party in charge??  Nope.. not enough swing suburban voters will be willing to take that chance IMO in 2022.

the Senate is FAR FAR FAR more interesting.. still early (future retirements) but at this point out. THe Senate hinges on 4 seats..  AZ, GA, PA, NC..   both AZ and PA look to be fairly safe hold/pick up.  Thus a +1 for the Dems. I think Schumer will have to wait to nuke the fillabuster to see if they hold GA... and most importantly.. pick up a 2nd seat in NC.. 

that 2nd pickup will be vital for in 2024.. the Dems face the very real possibility of losing 2.  Tester in Mont.. and (his political acumen aside) Manchin in WV.  I think Schumer is smart enough to not torch the filibuster not until 2022.. and only if they have at least a 2 seat edge.  That is the smart move .. but then again.. we have come to expect Senate Majority leaders (looking at you Darth McConnell) making absolutely stupid decisions haha.

With the new voting. restrictions running rampant I see loosing many Dem House and Senate seats and quickly. That's why Uncle Joe is pushing his agenda through so quickly. Just hope he's thought of everything before that happens.

Edited by SteveG - March 27 2021 at 09:27
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 09:56
Years and years of dealing with McConnell ought to be enough for the Dems to decide not to play nicely, end the filibuster, make D.C. and Puerto Rico states and shove that up his ass. Maybe that might be enough to get them to come to the table instead of being obstructionists on every piece of legislation, even the ones popular with the American people like this recent Covid-19 bill. 

I don't know. I guess it's just my frustration with this country making no progress on anything that matters anymore.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 10:02
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Years and years of dealing with McConnell ought to be enough for the Dems to decide not to play nicely, end the filibuster, make D.C. and Puerto Rico states and shove that up his ass. Maybe that might be enough to get them to come to the table instead of being obstructionists on every piece of legislation, even the ones popular with the American people like this recent Covid-19 bill. 

I don't know. I guess it's just my frustration with this country making no progress on anything that matters anymore.
Well.  At least we have a wall at the border that came in at twice the budget that is keeping all of the illegal immigrants out and the Mexicans paid for it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 10:09
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Yes, I'm pretty frustrated too. With the Repubs and with thier followers. I went to see my old dentist last week and the assistant, whom I've known for years, was in a panic going on and on by how doomed this country is because of the Dems in charge, and was spouting doomsday prophecies she got from Fox News. This nonsense   is truly disturbing to me as it will go on for decades.

Edited by SteveG - March 27 2021 at 10:22
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 11:13

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

With the new voting. restrictions running rampant I see loosing many Dem House and Senate seats and quickly. That's why Uncle Joe is pushing his agenda through so quickly. Just hope he's thought of everything before that happens.

well.... let's try to be a bit more... rational than our mass media is which is crying the end of democracy as we know it hahah.

there is a reason why I didn't mention the effect of these restrictions on 2022. Knowing full well the SCOTUS will uphold them after the lower courts throw them out for what they are.

all they were.. remember while Georgia is in the news..  almost 80% of the states either have.. or will pass similar restrictions.

the point being.. these for the most part are merely roll backs of 2020 easing's of voting regulations.  So for that my friend.. look back to 2018..  where in Georgia a far more egregious restriction was imposed.. knocking 100's of thousands of voters (yes.. mostly minorities) off the voting rolls..

and still barely they won at the top of the ticket.. so fast forward 4 years..

with again with Abrams on top of the ticket in 2022.. merely removing the ease of voting isn't likely to make a damn bit of difference to the changing demographics there. Now that they are seeing they can actually wield real power at the ballet box.. removing the ease of 2020 voting isn't likely to stop Abrams/Warnock from mobilizing minorities and enlightened white voters from getting out to vote. Yet without Trump at the top of the ticket.. do they have the same turnout. Not likely...

and Arizona.. even before the pandemic made it easier to vote.. that state was turning blue. What difference will removing the ease of voting do.. when a popular, beloved and much respected sitting Senator goes up against a right wing wack job which is ALL the Arizona GOP has to offer up in a general election.

anything is possible.. but my rage at the GOP for these partisan games is more personal than pragmatic.. but in the end.. they are what they are.. last gasps against the tide of change and demographics that will doom the GOP to relative extinction.. permanent minority status pandering to racists whites and idiot conspiracy theorists.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 13:29
Yeah, I'm usually the optimist but any restrictions that result from having tougher voter identification are more problematic to overturn. And this toughening of voter ID laws also extends to new voter registration. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by SteveG - March 27 2021 at 13:32
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 14:16
optimism with regards to America today is a very dangerous thing man...  in the wise words of Stan Greenberg...

At the start of every focus group, you ask people to fill in the blank in this sentence: “I feel ___ about the way things are going in the country.” How would you, Stan Greenberg, fill in that blank?

I feel deeply, deeply uncertain and foreboding. I think we’re in a battle for democracy whose outcome is uncertain.

we dodged a nuke in January... but there are still millions of uneducated, ignorants out there led by hundreds of power hungry win at ANY cost NOW politicians.. ie... there will no moderation in the GOP as that just doesn't fit the plan as what might be called moderation is in reality is  .. moving left-ward.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 19:02
I routinely detest the Russell 'mockney' Brand, but have to reluctantly agree with every word of this:

The USA just swapped one professional liar for anotherConfused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 398399400401402 434>