Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 20:00
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. I can see Buffalo from my living room. I live right on Lake Erie. They come over here and we go over there. The world hasn't stopped. I think it's just a loud minority that's making a a brou ha ha about this and of course the media circus.

Rather true.  It seems to be more a psychological virus than an existential problem.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 01:19
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm glad to see that Trump is as popular in the UK as he is in the US. ...
Not sure why. It's probably best to ignore him. Just the thought of him makes me like my life a little less. 
Trump is not an itnernet troll, thou' his behaviour is not dissimilar. Ignoring him is precisely what you must not do because that's just plain stupid and down-right dangerous.
A follow-up support of the argument would do the trick. Otherwise, I don't know why I'm reading such a vague negative response. 

Laugh at him by all means, but remember he's been handed the keys to the most powerful country in the world with a clear mandate from the population who elected him to do whatever the fu*k he likes for the next four years.
How 'clear' are we talking? Nothing's ever clear about what's going on behind the curtains of the politics of this country, let alone how well the votes were added up. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 01:35
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. I can see Buffalo from my living room. I live right on Lake Erie. They come over here and we go over there. The world hasn't stopped. I think it's just a loud minority that's making a a brou ha ha about this and of course the media circus.

Rather true.  It seems to be more a psychological virus than an existential problem.

Really? He is unpredictable and that is no laughing matter. Every prediction made about him has failed - he would be selected; he wouldn't beat Clinton; he wouldn't be elected; the GOP would control him; Congress would contain him; he wouldn't come true on his wild campaign promises. What we see is someone who believes in himself so much that when he says something stupid or out-right wrong he never backs down and he never will - he will move mountains to make the hilariously dumb things he says appear to be a reality for his supporters because his narcissism will not permit any other course of action. As is clear from the past few pages here, practically everyone here can see that finding correlation between two sets of unrelated statistics is dumb, stupid and meaningless to the point of being disingenuous and deliberately dishonest, yet there are those who believe it and that is the target audience Trump is talking to. He is not trying to win-over the "loud minority" or the media as everything he has done thus far is aimed squarely at marginalising and discrediting anyone who opposes him, and as I see it after barely a month in office, that's working in his favour too. 
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 01:47
^ No I meant the immigration problem-- the Trump problem is all too real.  Maybe I mistook Kepler's point.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 02:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

whatever it is .. it is not to reality

hell yeahh its a psychological virus.......... Confused , so let us be real, don't let the virus spread............ LOL Dead

EDIT: 'so let us be real, don't let the virus spread' - I meant it as the new argument for reviving Trump's travel ban.

Edited by Tillerman88 - February 22 2017 at 02:31
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 02:24
Trump is a two legged carp.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 02:52
What happen in Sweden last night?   Immigrant riot breaks out in Stockholm last night.  Looting, cars burned, and masked men throw rocks at police.  
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 03:38
So I'm sure you've also heard about the anti-immigrant riots here, including looting, cars burned and people fighting the police.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 03:56
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

What happen in Sweden last night?   Immigrant riot breaks out in Stockholm last night.  Looting, cars burned, and masked men throw rocks at police.  
from the BBC: "Swedish police have launched an investigation after a riot erupted in a predominantly immigrant suburb of the capital, Stockholm.

One officer fired at rioters who threw rocks at police.

The unrest in the Rinkeby suburb on Monday night came after police tried to arrest a suspect on drugs charges.

It also comes after US President Donald Trump referred to Sweden in a speech on immigration problems, baffling Swedes about a non-existent incident."

And the conclusion is? Trump incites riots in far away country? 

What?
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 04:04
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

So I'm sure you've also heard about the anti-immigrant riots here, including looting, cars burned and people fighting the police.

Let alone how well the immigrant riots (masked men???) would be working for the revival of Trump's ban.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 04:09
Yes, this Swedish terrorism is shocking! Police video captured, what can only be some type of anarchist action, a lone individual kicking over a public trash can and fleeing the scene. It's only a matter of time before one of these radicals leaves a burning paper bag filled with dog poop on some innocent person's front porch, rings the doorbell and runs! Oh, the humanities!

Edited by SteveG - February 22 2017 at 11:25
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 07:57

from the BBC: "Swedish police have launched an investigation after a riot erupted in a predominantly immigrant suburb of the capital, Stockholm.

One officer fired at rioters who threw rocks at police.

The unrest in the Rinkeby suburb on Monday night came after police tried to arrest a suspect on drugs charges.

It also comes after US President Donald Trump referred to Sweden in a speech on immigration problems, baffling Swedes about a non-existent incident."

And the conclusion is? Trump incites riots in far away country? 

the conclusion is Trump is a prophet. he is the new Messiah! let us strew his path with palm leaves, let us bathe his feet, dry them with our hair and then anoint them with balm.

too bad I have to pass on that due to lack of hair

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 08:15
Surely Trump's rise to power via immigrate bashing has scary parallels to the Nazi party, and his cozy relationship with Putin is also disturbing, but his possible impeachment would be a double-edged sword for the US.

Most House Republicans would much rather work with Pence than Trump, and of course Trump's impeachment would make that possible. Whereas Trump is a mixed bag on many issues dear to Republicans, Pence is in lock step with the Republican establishment and would be able to get a lot more of their agenda accomplished.

I wouldn't mind seeing Trump impeached, especially since he comes across as such a complete jerk, but the emergence of a more professional and polite President Pence does not equal sunny days ahead for the US.

Edited by js (Easy Money) - February 22 2017 at 10:46
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 08:35
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the conclusion is Trump is a prophet. he is the new Messiah! let us strew his path with palm leaves, let us bathe his feet, dry them with our hair and then anoint them with balm.

I'm sorry Jean, but a prophet of doom is not a new phenomenon. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 09:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I'm sorry Jean, but a prophet of doom is not a new phenomenon. LOL

of course it's not new! it's the second coming!

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 09:30
The end is nigh.
Xurtio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 09:50
Hymnomancer
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 11:03
Originally posted by Xurtio Xurtio wrote:

Politics makes us mean and dumb:

Very good article.  I wouldn't mind discussing politics sans sarcasm and meaness.  If I've offended anyone with a sarcasm or meaness; I apologize.   
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 11:26
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 11:39

Originally posted by Xurtio Xurtio wrote:

Politics makes us mean and dumb:

Very good article.  I wouldn't mind discussing politics sans sarcasm and meaness.  If I've offended anyone with a sarcasm or meaness; I apologize.    

It's a too provocative title for my tastes, but it is an excellent article. I was familiar with the writer already. I'd like to be a Vulcan when it comes to politics -- dispassionate, logical, and open to new ideas and to the possibility of being wrong (basically following scientific methodology at coming up with likely truth and probabilities). We should all be skeptical of what we hold as true. We do all have our biases, and I think it's very important for good political deliberation to take place that people really listen to ideas that may not fit their preconceptions. Far too often political discussion ends up becoming debates where people are trying to win arguments than actually arrive at truths or gain new perspective (painful though they may be). People are inclined to be defensive and dismiss opinions that are at odds with their own, and to only seek out like-minded individuals (thinkers they agree with) to confirm their own biases -- political and confirmation biases abound.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 434>