FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 17:04
There are people who still think Richard Nixon was a good president.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 17:11
and they still vote David...  I still can't wrap my head around the fact we actually elected him. Or more to the point, there were millions that thought a ... takes a breath.. misogynist, race baiting, hypocritical, lyiing sack of sh*t .. who also.. *takes another breath* who had NO political experience and had the matching temperment to disqualify him from being a wise choice to be elected city dog catcher... who... *takes a deeper breath* had very serious UNANSWERED questions about his ties to Russia would be a wise choice for President.

oh yeah.. quote of the day

“YO, REPORTERS … THIS ISN’T ABOUT YOU. Just do your job. That’s our message to journalists covering Donald Trump. Don’t get sucked in or suckered in to the ‘media is ruining our lives’ bs. Don’t apologize and don’t back down. Be immensely proud of what you do because, in the end, it will most likely be your work that saves this nation.”

for all my vitriol though.. I really thought he'd be smarter than he's shown himself to be.  There were many that wondered outloud if he would even make to to the end of his singular 4 year term. I thought originally that was a bit out there. Wishful thinking.  Now I'm not so sure.. the heat is really being turned up on Congress.  If there were ties to Russian intelligence.. they'll have NO choice but to get rid of him.  what a spectacle already.. thanks Trump voter.

Edited by micky - February 24 2017 at 17:13
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 17:13
^ We elected him... wait for it... twice.   The difference is that Trump is more honest, which may or may not be better.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 17:23
honest?  Explain that one to me my friend?  Tell it as it is Trump who tells those what they want to hear, making up facts as they suit them, denying facts as alt-facts when they don't conform to what he was selling.. and sold to his voters.

Anyhow.. on a lighter front.  We did start an office pool today.  50 dollar entries.  I put down  3 May 2018.. when Mike Pence takes over the Presidency.  The reason... those leaks will get him.   Someone in the IRS leaks his returns.. and we find out just what he was hiding. Russian money.. a sh*t load. That is my prediction!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 17:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

To show you the difference between then and now (and I am certainly no Nixonian), the Environmental Protection Agency was proposed by President Richard Nixon and began operation on December 2, 1970, after Nixon signed an executive order.

That's right, Nixon. With an executive order no less. Now Trump wants to end the EPA.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 17:31
*shakes head* Nixon, Dubya, Trump...  who'd have thought Nixon would come out on top of that list LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 19:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

honest?  Explain that one to me my friend?  Tell it as it is Trump who tells those what they want to hear, making up facts as they suit them, denying facts as alt-facts when they don't conform to what he was selling.. and sold to his voters.

Oh he's honest; I never thought I'd hear a Repub refer to the CIA as 'fascists'.   But now that he has, it's not so funny or gratifying.   Who'd have thought we'd have the spy community on our side.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 19:44
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

To show you the difference between then and now (and I am certainly no Nixonian), the Environmental Protection Agency was proposed by President Richard Nixon and began operation on December 2, 1970, after Nixon signed an executive order.

That's right, Nixon. With an executive order no less. Now Trump wants to end the EPA.

Do you believe Nixon genuinely supported a real, toothsome EPA?   Dick Nixon?--  Mr. Big Oil, PepsiCola, Banking attorney?   Somehow I smell a rodent ... but it was Tricky Dick, after all.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 20:01
did he have a choice but to support it hahahha

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 20:03
yep...Make America Great Again... eliminate those pesky regulations stifling business and industry..  we do want our rivers to burn again!!!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 20:40

"The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them." -- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington, 1783

Still don't believe we have the makings of a corporate dictatorship? How about Steve Bannon, the resident drunken fascist in the White House (who, by the way, makes Dick Cheney look like Lincoln emancipating the slaves), said, "if you look at these Cabinet appointees, they were selected for a reason, and that is the deconstruction." This administration is intent on destroying the Republic -- its freedoms, its environment and its people, starting with the easiest marks, the immigrants, then other religions and then people who don't "fit in" socially (like the LGBTQ folks). It is already happening (and I would suggest reading William Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" to see the parallels with Nazism -- in such a way did they start). Their interests are not constitutional. Their goals are not to better America.

These people are full of sh*t. They are dangerous. They need to go.

Sorry to interject here but why are we recollecting the importance of free speech now?  Because I have heard a few times on here and generally on the internet that "freedom of expression is not important", said to defend the political correctness doctrine, obviously.  It's not my intention to start a blame game.  All water under the bridge now that this guy is in power.  But I just hope that next time we will not forget the words, "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."  There is no democracy without liberty.  If you surrender your liberty for one cause believing it to be good, remember somebody else whom you completely loathe and regard as evil may also impinge on your freedom citing a case he/she believes to be good.  There is absolutely no excuse for stifling the free speech of citizens and rather insisting it to be a dangerous thing is what is a dangerous argument in the first place.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 02:58

Oh he's honest; I never thought I'd hear a Repub refer to the CIA as 'fascists'.   But now that he has, it's not so funny or gratifying.   Who'd have thought we'd have the spy community on our side.

Calling Trump honest is equivalent to saying that 'at least the Russian olympics team has some impressive stamina'. His intonation is honest but he's not actually coming out with any facts or even opinions he's actually come up himself and aren't just more bs whispered into his ears by Bannon and the gang.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 04:10
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Sorry to interject here but why are we recollecting the importance of free speech now?  Because I have heard a few times on here and generally on the internet that "freedom of expression is not important", said to defend the political correctness doctrine, obviously.  

No, obviously TODAY''S political correctness doctrine, not that in the time when you still could breath some honesty in politics........not yet plagued with hypocritical doctrines.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 05:41
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Sorry to interject here but why are we recollecting the importance of free speech now?  Because I have heard a few times on here and generally on the internet that "freedom of expression is not important", said to defend the political correctness doctrine, obviously.  

No, obviously TODAY''S political correctness doctrine, not that in the time when you still could breath some honesty in politics........not yet plagued with hypocritical doctrines.

Yes, I did mean the wave of political correctness that's grown in the last few years.  It has extracted a heavy price - that of possibly democracy itself.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 06:26

"The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them." -- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington, 1783

Still don't believe we have the makings of a corporate dictatorship? How about Steve Bannon, the resident drunken fascist in the White House (who, by the way, makes Dick Cheney look like Lincoln emancipating the slaves), said, "if you look at these Cabinet appointees, they were selected for a reason, and that is the deconstruction." This administration is intent on destroying the Republic -- its freedoms, its environment and its people, starting with the easiest marks, the immigrants, then other religions and then people who don't "fit in" socially (like the LGBTQ folks). It is already happening (and I would suggest reading William Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" to see the parallels with Nazism -- in such a way did they start). Their interests are not constitutional. Their goals are not to better America.

These people are full of sh*t. They are dangerous. They need to go.

Sorry to interject here but why are we recollecting the importance of free speech now?  Because I have heard a few times on here and generally on the internet that "freedom of expression is not important", said to defend the political correctness doctrine, obviously.  It's not my intention to start a blame game.  All water under the bridge now that this guy is in power.  But I just hope that next time we will not forget the words, "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."  There is no democracy without liberty.  If you surrender your liberty for one cause believing it to be good, remember somebody else whom you completely loathe and regard as evil may also impinge on your freedom citing a case he/she believes to be good.  There is absolutely no excuse for stifling the free speech of citizens and rather insisting it to be a dangerous thing is what is a dangerous argument in the first place.

seems to me you answered your own question LOL While one can be melodramatic and compare where we are at now in this country to Germany of the 30's, even though there are significant differences, it doesn't take much brain power and obviously a working knowledge of history and politics to recognize the fact there are even parallels (and some strong ones at that) to be drawn between the two should be warning signs to any thoughtful American that we should be worried about where we are and still might go.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 06:46

seems to me you answered your own question LOL While one can be melodramatic and compare where we are at now in this country to Germany of the 30's, even though there are significant differences, it doesn't take much brain power and obviously a working knowledge of history and politics to recognize the fact there are even parallels (and some strong ones at that) to be drawn between the two should be warning signs to any thoughtful American that we should be worried about where we are and still might go.

To be clear, I meant that accepting the argument that free speech can be stifled for an ostensibly good cause (under the garb of free speech being dangerous in that context) is dangerous because it can open the door for dangerous characters to appropriate the same stance for their purposes.  Never thought I'd see the day that a mainstream news channel is blocked out of White House press briefings in USA.  Since my knowledge of US history is pretty deficient...is this a first or are people being too alarmist?  At any rate, the Statue of Liberty's got to be shedding copious tears right now.

Edited by rogerthat - February 25 2017 at 06:47
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 06:47
so the DNC election is this weekend... wonder who gets the Chair..

nice to see the first post mortums of the November debacle are starting to roll in and they hammer home what was likely the root cause. Will the DNC election reflect that....

Hillary lost millions of votes into the ether... rural voters and it cost her the election. Trump voters didn't just come from nowhere. He got roughly the same number of votes Romney did when Romney got crushed in 2012. Urban voters turned out big time, that is to be expected, it was the rural voters the party forgot and they forgot the party and didn't simply didn't bother to vote, perhaps thinking (as everyone did) that Clinton had it anyway.. or just were so turned off by her that they voted 3rd Party or again didn't vote.

The lesson? One I'm happy to see it didn't take long to see recognized...  grassroots activism. It has sprung up thanks to Trump, will the establishment recognize that and nuture it and perhaps take back one of both houses of Congress in 2018, or work contrary to it or independently of it and stick to big money centrist policies and leaders. We shall see. I think there are enough smart people around to recognize that Ellison, and his supporters, are the future of the party moving forward and he wins it.

Edited by micky - February 25 2017 at 06:51
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 06:53

Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Yes, I did mean the wave of political correctness that's grown in the last few years.  It has extracted a heavy price - that of possibly democracy itself.

Right on now we're talking ... that of a healthy republic to begin with.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 07:05

To be clear, I meant that accepting the argument that free speech can be stifled for an ostensibly good cause (under the garb of free speech being dangerous in that context) is dangerous because it can open the door for dangerous characters to appropriate the same stance for their purposes.  Never thought I'd see the day that a mainstream news channel is blocked out of White House press briefings in USA.  Since my knowledge of US history is pretty deficient...is this a first or are people being too alarmist?  At any rate, the Statue of Liberty's got to be shedding copious tears right now.

No doubt man.. uncharted water we are in here.  No is not necessarily a first, but a second, but we all know how the Nixon Presidency went down. The greatest threat to the notions of democracy and the Constitution this country had ever seen, and here we are in 2017 back at the same place. So no, people are not being too alarmist.  The very foundations of democracy and constitutional power are at play.  In less than two months Trump has gone to war with the Judiciary, the primary constitutional watchdog of executive power, and of course the press the primary unofficial watchdog of executive power. Why?  Let Americans answer that for themselves.

America is due a great deal of soul searching.. and none more than Trump voters. For they are to blame for this.  How quickly they forgot the lesson of the past, and ignored the obvious warning signs SO on display last year during the campaign that this guy was dangerous, had some serious issues.. mentally and ethically.

Seriously..  he didn't release his tax returns. Did Trump voters ask themselves once.. even once.. why? What he was hiding?

Edited by micky - February 25 2017 at 07:07
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 07:13

No doubt man.. uncharted water we are in here.  No is not necessarily a first, but a second, but we all know how the Nixon Presidency went down. The greatest threat to the notions of democracy and the Constitution this country had ever seen, and here we are in 2017 back at the same place. So no, people are not being too alarmist.  The very foundations of democracy and constitutional power are at play.  In less than two months Trump has gone to war with the Judiciary, the primary constitutional watchdog of executive power, and of course the press the primary unofficial watchdog of executive power. Why?  Let Americans answer that for themselves.

America is due a great deal of soul searching.. and none more than Trump voters. For they are to blame for this.  How quickly they forgot the lesson of the past, and ignored the obvious warning signs SO on display last year during the campaign that this guy was dangerous, had some serious issues.. mentally and ethically.

Seriously..  he didn't release his tax returns. Did Trump voters ask themselves once.. even once.. why? What he was hiding?

That's why I asked.  So the Great Dick was there too?  Funny, not to claim wisdom in hindsight, but in Trump's acceptance speech on results day, I did hear echoes of Nixon's reference to the silent majority.  Trump however seems to be much more crude in his methods.  What Mr. Modi achieves slyly and silently, he is doing with a full frontal assault and the whole world is watching.  I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing.  It's good in the sense people get to know his true colours very early in the game but it's bad in the sense of the damage he is doing to democratic institutions as you have mentioned.  I heard somebody from Fox News defended CNN and decried the ban? LOL  Better late than never.  I do think CNN has been shading left for some time now, but surely blocking them or any other channel from press briefings is unacceptable and surely everyone realises that.  Because if they don't, there's no hope for democracy. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 434>