FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Sabbath

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Sabbath
    Posted: February 09 2017 at 04:20
Some people may say that its a bit late now, but I've never got into Black Sabbath.
But I do feel obliged to actually try.
As a proghead  who tends to veer towards the heavier end of progressive rock,but not progressive metal, (Arena, Marillion,Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Rush, Mike Oldfield,  etc  and more symphonic prog (Nightwish, After Forever, Rhapsody,  Ayreon etc   I'm not sure where I should start.

I'm not too keen on straight ahead rock or hard rock so although I like Led Zeppelin, Queen, early Iron Maiden, some Deep Purple, UFO  , I'm not keen on The Rolling Stones, Thunder. Judas priest etc

I've found that I certainly don't like progressive metal bands such as Dream Theater, Queensryche, Threshold, etc

Any suggestions on where I should start, or shall I just follow my gut instinct and decide they aren't for me?

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 10:33
How many artists do you enjoy because you "tried to like them"? Our tastes are an evolutionary process that are bound to the individual and not something we can force. All I can say is keep listening to the stuff you like and someday you'll here a song by a band you thought you didn't like that has elements familiar to you. If we always try to push in that direction that our existing biases draw us away from, the suggestions will be forever tainted.

Just listen to what you love. Keep that as your target.

Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 10:47
If you want to force some Black Sabbath on yourself try Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Closest to prog they ever got. Then maybe Sabotage. Two of my fave Sabbath albums.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 12:33
Must admit they've always been one of those bands that I think people would expect me to be into but I'm not for some reason. Along with King Crimson, Wishbone Ash and The Flower Kings
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 13:18
Rick Wakeman appears on "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", wonderful stuff, one of the most progressive heavy metal albums. Their finest, but the debut is the heaviest.
"Vol 4" is quite melodic, and "Master of Reality" contains the saddest song ever recorded, "Solitude". "Paranoid" has "Planet Caravan" and "Fairies Wear Boots". Heavy stuff man, you canīt ignore them and Ozzy Osbourne fits the music perfectly. You have been warned...
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
floyd4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 13:32
The first album is great but not prog-y. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 06:33
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

If you want to force some Black Sabbath on yourself try Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Closest to prog they ever got. Then maybe Sabotage. Two of my fave Sabbath albums.

These two are a good place to start.  Also you can't go wrong with the classic Paranoid (less proggy).
 Post Reply Post Reply