Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Has the definition of prog changed at some point?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas the definition of prog changed at some point?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CapnBearbossa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has the definition of prog changed at some point?
    Posted: February 27 2017 at 11:13
The more about "prog" as a thing I read and hear, the less meaningful the term becomes. It's used by some in a complimentary way, by others derisively.  It means forward-looking, backward-looking, or reveling in the present with about the same frequency.  Prog is a genre when the word is used de jure in categorization  schemes or in sales parlance, although the performers and the music themselves de facto transcend genre.

I don't mean to be dismissive of the movement, concept, or phenomenon. It's just that names, like all words, live out their useful lifetimes and then should probably be retired. (Otherwise they end up being fodder for arguments and needless animosity Lol).

Edited by CapnBearbossa - February 27 2017 at 11:27
Will higher mighty force redeem
the one who dropped the moral compass,
failed to fulfill the dream?
-Ian Anderson
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 09:01
The definition hasn't changed.
It's just the genre which has gotten worse over the years. Clown
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:57
Granted I'm younger than many here, but as far as I know (US) West Coast music (Zappa, Beefhart) was called Art Rock or Avant Garde Rock, never progressive rock. I only ever saw Progressive Rock attributed to British synth Prog (including Crimson) and sometimes Rush. Sometime in the 80s I actually saw Toto referred to as progressive (meh!).

Edited by HackettFan - February 23 2017 at 07:59
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 04:06
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

The meaning has changed. Back in the late '60s, many kinds of rock music were called progressive which we now would no longer consider prog, such as Jimi Hendrix or the Grateful Dead. In West Germany, progressive Musik was a frequently used term for what we now know as Krautrock. What we now call prog was then mostly called art rock (but of course considered a part of progressive music). The term progressive rock was narrowed down to its present meaning in the late 70s, I think. I don't know when the shorthand prog was invented; I first met it in the rec.music.progressive newsgroup in the early 90s but it may be older.

One must never forget that progressive rock (or prog) is not the same as rock music that is progressive, but we all know that. Prog is progressive, but some other kinds of rock music are also progressive.

Meanwhile, the alternative rock press (at least in Germany) uses prog rock for kinds of alternative rock that show some affinity to prog, often just the addition of synthesizers, while mostly ignoring actual prog. No, I don't blame them anymore (I used to). It is just not part of their subject matter. After all, jazz magazines don't review much prog, either.

Nein. Nein. A thousand times, nein. In the late sixties, artists were called progressive, not the music that they produced. This took over from the briefly and quickly ditched tag of artists that were referred to as underground.
Art rock  was bandied about in the early seventies, but exactly when the term progressive rock came into being is lost to the wind.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 14:48
The meaning has changed. Back in the late '60s, many kinds of rock music were called progressive which we now would no longer consider prog, such as Jimi Hendrix or the Grateful Dead. In West Germany, progressive Musik was a frequently used term for what we now know as Krautrock. What we now call prog was then mostly called art rock (but of course considered a part of progressive music). The term progressive rock was narrowed down to its present meaning in the late 70s, I think. I don't know when the shorthand prog was invented; I first met it in the rec.music.progressive newsgroup in the early 90s but it may be older.

One must never forget that progressive rock (or prog) is not the same as rock music that is progressive, but we all know that. Prog is progressive, but some other kinds of rock music are also progressive.

Meanwhile, the alternative rock press (at least in Germany) uses prog rock for kinds of alternative rock that show some affinity to prog, often just the addition of synthesizers, while mostly ignoring actual prog. No, I don't blame them anymore (I used to). It is just not part of their subject matter. After all, jazz magazines don't review much prog, either.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 07:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Everything from ambient through technical metal to nu jazz, all welcome

But how about Kansas?? TongueLOL

I'm ok with Kansas, its Hitler who doesn't think they belong. LOL
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 03:30
LOL no.
What?
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 01:56
Good arguments here. Interesting read.

My cup of tea:

I think a lot of people here listen to socalled sophisticated music. Disco, grunge, punk, hiphop, new age and hitparade pop are the big enemies.

I must say that I listen to punk, grunge, pop, disco, hiphop etc., but only if it's sophisticated.
That's why I listen to only 10% of the bands listed on this website. And sometimes I wish some of my favorite bands are listed here, because they are so good, but they just don't fall in any of the progrock categories (Tears for Fears, Rupert Hine, Incubus, Propaganda, 4Hero, The Roots, Guru's Jazzamatazz, etc. etc.)

When I think of progrock (as listed on the website) I think of sophisticated (complicated) classic rock, and bands that copy that sound.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 01:54
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

But how about Kansas?? TongueLOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 17:30
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I think you just made it ~

he must have remembered all my years of posts hammering just that point home.

Hell... lets do it again!!!

'What I think, is that the prog umbrella for too long has tried to shelter two very different things under its shade: On the one hand, the nostalgia scene, which features both the old acts that are still around, like Yes and whatever Italian band you care to mention, and "old-new" bands like Flower Kings and Transatlantic - bands that, though newish, cater mostly to very conservative audiences. On the other hand, the new progressive scene, which could include anything from The Mars Volta to Gösta Berlings Saga, and which really isn't a scene at all, especially considering that many of the bands themselves have no awareness of being part of a "prog scene". These two strands really are extremely different. There's plenty of people with a love for both (including, to a certain extent, myself). But to throw the typical fans of both scenes (the former, ageing, follicle-challenged geezers - bless'em all!, the latter young, dynamic listeners brought up to endless eclecticism and irreverence to genres - bless them too!), might just be too much of a stretch. Maybe it's time for a divorce. Let the geezers have their nostalgia-fests, and let the "new prog" bands get out on the regular rock circuit and compete with any other rock genres out there rather than put them in the geriatric ward of "prog" where the smell of old age will make them unpalatable to both the rock media and the major labels. No disrespect to either!!! :-)

And as an a propos: Prog labels that sign new, fresh and exciting bands should be careful how they market and present the bands. Selling them in the traditional way ("washes of mellotrons, recall Eloy in their heyday, rave reception at Bolivia Art Rock Fest (BARF)") will, quite simply, sell them short. It's a new world out there.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 08:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Capes and dragons are still crucial but yeah I'd say the professional, even the popular, definition of Prog has evolved to mean any rock that is progressive instead of just stuff that reminds us of Yes or Rush.

I was thinking similarly. The music itself has developed to much further and beyond the capes and the definitions, to the point where ... even us here, can not agree on a whole lot and which bands to kiss up to!

Was this ever different? I don't think there was ever a point at which at least everyone who really cared would've agreed. Music doesn't naturally fit into categories. OK, there are probably some examples to be found in the history of music that certain definitions were canonised enough and supported and protected by certain authorities that disagreement about them was hard to find, but a core aspect of creativity was always not to respect borders and to extend them.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 07:16
I believe it was science fiction writer/editor Damon Knight ("To Serve Man") who said:  "Science Fiction is whatever I'm pointing at when I say 'Science Fiction'."  SF writer Samuel R. Delany often makes the argument that science fiction is a way of reading, rather than any specific elements of the text.
No, I haven't gone way off topic.  I think the same thing applies to music.  You can listen to a wide variety of music with "progressive" ears.  It's an approach to listening that's less superficial, more in depth.  Because we're listening less superficially, material that has greater complexity/sophistication can be more satisfying.  At least it is to me.  I liken it to playing tennis.  The more you practice, the better you get.  The better you get, the more you enjoy it.  (Trust me on this.  I suck at tennis, and I really don't enjoy it.)
I enjoy lots of different music with my "prog ears".  Jazz, albeit primarily post-bop.  Classical, albeit mostly 20th Century.  San Francisco psychedelic.  "After Bathing at Baxters" by Jefferson Airplane is clearly a progressive album, although the band's earlier hit singles aren't.  Grateful Dead did some very progressive pieces, like The Eleven and Terrapin Station.  In fact, I specifically credit the Dead (who were a lot closer to prog when I used to see them in the '60s than they were later) with getting me started on the road that led to Henry Cow.
That's the reason I like the fact that this site discusses so many different types of prog.

Edited by socrates17 - February 19 2017 at 07:17
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 20:52
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 20:24
^ I think you just made it ~
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 20:22
I think that trying to make a difference between prog and progressive as a genre is just wanting to make a discussion out of nowhere. Prog is just the diminutive of progressive... perhaps there could be a point about progressive rock as a genre, and progressive music as an adjective...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 18:33

Capes and dragons are still crucial but yeah I'd say the professional, even the popular, definition of Prog has evolved to mean any rock that is progressive instead of just stuff that reminds us of Yes or Rush.

I was thinking similarly. The music itself has developed to much further and beyond the capes and the definitions, to the point where ... even us here, can not agree on a whole lot and which bands to kiss up to!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 15:52
Mickey's Left Toe. Mickey's Right Toe. I have heard of neither of these bands.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 12:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

In some prog circles it's referred to as the little p prog vs big P prog debate. 

some? Find me one it hasn't been debated into the ground, trust me it has here on this site, for good reason. Forget that curmudgen Dean.  Bring the popcorn everytime it comes up. Always fun considering most of the bands listed on this site are no more Prog than my left toe, and most of the bands on this site are no more progressive than my right toe. Two very different camps yet many insist on lumping them together including this site which has led to a site that more than a Prog site.. yet less than progressive rock site.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 10:50
In some prog circles it's referred to as the little p prog vs big P prog debate. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 08:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ask 10 people what prog is.. get 10 answers... where it gets interesting is the old prog v. progressive debate.

That is never interesting.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>