Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Has the definition of prog changed at some point?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas the definition of prog changed at some point?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 03:30
LOL no.
What?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 07:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Everything from ambient through technical metal to nu jazz, all welcome

But how about Kansas?? TongueLOL

I'm ok with Kansas, its Hitler who doesn't think they belong. LOL
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 14:48
The meaning has changed. Back in the late '60s, many kinds of rock music were called progressive which we now would no longer consider prog, such as Jimi Hendrix or the Grateful Dead. In West Germany, progressive Musik was a frequently used term for what we now know as Krautrock. What we now call prog was then mostly called art rock (but of course considered a part of progressive music). The term progressive rock was narrowed down to its present meaning in the late 70s, I think. I don't know when the shorthand prog was invented; I first met it in the rec.music.progressive newsgroup in the early 90s but it may be older.

One must never forget that progressive rock (or prog) is not the same as rock music that is progressive, but we all know that. Prog is progressive, but some other kinds of rock music are also progressive.

Meanwhile, the alternative rock press (at least in Germany) uses prog rock for kinds of alternative rock that show some affinity to prog, often just the addition of synthesizers, while mostly ignoring actual prog. No, I don't blame them anymore (I used to). It is just not part of their subject matter. After all, jazz magazines don't review much prog, either.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 04:06
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

The meaning has changed. Back in the late '60s, many kinds of rock music were called progressive which we now would no longer consider prog, such as Jimi Hendrix or the Grateful Dead. In West Germany, progressive Musik was a frequently used term for what we now know as Krautrock. What we now call prog was then mostly called art rock (but of course considered a part of progressive music). The term progressive rock was narrowed down to its present meaning in the late 70s, I think. I don't know when the shorthand prog was invented; I first met it in the rec.music.progressive newsgroup in the early 90s but it may be older.

One must never forget that progressive rock (or prog) is not the same as rock music that is progressive, but we all know that. Prog is progressive, but some other kinds of rock music are also progressive.

Meanwhile, the alternative rock press (at least in Germany) uses prog rock for kinds of alternative rock that show some affinity to prog, often just the addition of synthesizers, while mostly ignoring actual prog. No, I don't blame them anymore (I used to). It is just not part of their subject matter. After all, jazz magazines don't review much prog, either.

Nein. Nein. A thousand times, nein. In the late sixties, artists were called progressive, not the music that they produced. This took over from the briefly and quickly ditched tag of artists that were referred to as underground.
Art rock  was bandied about in the early seventies, but exactly when the term progressive rock came into being is lost to the wind.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:57
Granted I'm younger than many here, but as far as I know (US) West Coast music (Zappa, Beefhart) was called Art Rock or Avant Garde Rock, never progressive rock. I only ever saw Progressive Rock attributed to British synth Prog (including Crimson) and sometimes Rush. Sometime in the 80s I actually saw Toto referred to as progressive (meh!).

Edited by HackettFan - February 23 2017 at 07:59
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 09:01
The definition hasn't changed.
It's just the genre which has gotten worse over the years. Clown
CapnBearbossa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 11:13
The more about "prog" as a thing I read and hear, the less meaningful the term becomes. It's used by some in a complimentary way, by others derisively.  It means forward-looking, backward-looking, or reveling in the present with about the same frequency.  Prog is a genre when the word is used de jure in categorization  schemes or in sales parlance, although the performers and the music themselves de facto transcend genre.

I don't mean to be dismissive of the movement, concept, or phenomenon. It's just that names, like all words, live out their useful lifetimes and then should probably be retired. (Otherwise they end up being fodder for arguments and needless animosity Lol).

Edited by CapnBearbossa - February 27 2017 at 11:27
Will higher mighty force redeem
the one who dropped the moral compass,
failed to fulfill the dream?
-Ian Anderson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234