Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Emo? Emo Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Emo? Emo Prog?
    Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:40
I've known about the 90s and 00s emo movement for a while. I always dismissed at as a silly genre, and I've confirmed that (for myself!) the past month or so. 

However, there's one bands I like, and it was one of the biggest acts in the world about 10 years ago. Of course, its My Chemical Romance. Chased away by many ridiculous and disgusting acts, I thought I'd take my journey here. Are there any ok alternatives to MCR, and any bands that make more out of the genre? 

Hence the title, it would be the cheesiest and probably the coolest thing if a "prog-emo-ish" band existed. Any suggestions?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:50
Never heard a note from MCR........but emo-prog I can only think of Coheed & Cambria right now, its all I got.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 20:55
Yep, start with Coheed and Cambria's `Good Apollo I'm Burning: Star IV' (I think that's what it's called! ) Emo and heavy prog by way of skater punk/pop - much better than it sounds!
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 22:23
I think you mean Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 23:14
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I think you mean Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness.

Sure, if we're going for super-duper ultra w**ky pretentious self-indulgent proggery!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 23:47
the Mars Volta defenitly
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 05:40
Coming from the opposite direction, Van der Graaf Generator are about as "emotional" as prog can possibly get however they are also as far removed from emotional-hardcore as you can possibly get too, but then again, perhaps not as there was always something of a punk aesthetic to what they did.

My Comical Romans [who I love btw - great music for listening too on long distance drives to release pent-up aggression - "I'm Not Okay( (I promise)" being a personal favourite] have made a number of concept albums but alas there is more to Prog than releasing concept albums. 

...of course Emo was Keith Emerson's nickname...
What?
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:55
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Coming from the opposite direction, Van der Graaf Generator are about as "emotional" as prog can possibly get however they are also as far removed from emotional-hardcore as you can possibly get too, but then again, perhaps not as there was always something of a punk aesthetic to what they did.

My Comical Romans [who I love btw - great music for listening too on long distance drives to release pent-up aggression - "I'm Not Okay( (I promise)" being a personal favourite] have made a number of concept albums but alas there is more to Prog than releasing concept albums. 

...of course Emo was Keith Emerson's nickname...

Of course VDGG is absolutely amazing. The number of cycles I've went through with the albums "Pawn Hearts" and "Godbluff" is countless. Man, I don't even know where I'm going with this XD.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 20:06
Isn't so much "popular" music complete garbage, or what? Navigating the Internet and searching through bands and styles has proved again and again a waste of time. From now on, I'm sticking to this forum.

Anyways, Coheed and Cambria have proved a good discovery, or at least their "emo" album (Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume One From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness) has proved quite nice. Thanks guys.

After excessive searching, I'm left hopeless. Are there any good alternatives to MCR? Where do I go in order not to stumble into repetitive, poppy trash? And is Screamo just as bad?

There is probably a good reason I never heard mention of this stuff on the forum, but I'm still going to ask you guys XD.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 12:25
Sorry, I don't do poppy trash Tongue or screamo. But one of my sons awhile ago was into like My Bloody Valentine, Atreu (sp) and the like, which I always called screamo. I'm not sure about the emo inclusion in those bands......This may not be the best site to find that specifically, but with any prog-rock genre you will find tons.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 16:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Sorry, I don't do poppy trash Tongue or screamo. But one of my sons awhile ago was into like My Bloody Valentine, Atreu (sp) and the like, which I always called screamo. I'm not sure about the emo inclusion in those bands......This may not be the best site to find that specifically, but with any prog-rock genre you will find tons.

This may not be the best site, but searching the Internet and asking around... I mostly listen to prog and I'm just looking for some "go-to" bands when I don't have the will or the time to jam out to PF, Crimson, Tull, Yes, etc... 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 08:10
MGMT verges on prog.  I have high hopes these young men will continue their musical journey toward increasingly complex compositions.

I hate scream-o and I abhor emo, however I like The Shins.  I feel that they've progressed vocally, compositionally and lyrically through their evolution.  

Neutral Milk Hotel somehow feels progressive to moi.  This guy uses everything from tubas, saws, to accordions.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 22 2017 at 08:11
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 10:15
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

MGMT verges on prog.  I have high hopes these young men will continue their musical journey toward increasingly complex compositions.

I hate scream-o and I abhor emo, however I like The Shins.  I feel that they've progressed vocally, compositionally and lyrically through their evolution.  

Neutral Milk Hotel somehow feels progressive to moi.  This guy uses everything from tubas, saws, to accordions.

Thanks, I'll make sure to check these guys out. I've had my share of disgusting emo and scream-o bands, but I'm still hopeful. Tongue
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 16:49

to name a few
 Post Reply Post Reply