Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello from Turkey!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Turkey!
    Posted: February 16 2017 at 23:44
Hi, folks! I am Can, from Turkey, age is 18. A fan of psychedelic/space and symphonic, some Italian.

In middle-60s, a legendary scene has been emerged nicknamed Anatolian rock, a perfect blend of Turkish folk and psychedelic. (Erkin Koray, Barış Manço, Moğollar, Cem Karaca...) Firstly, materials had been released in two-song singles called "45'lik", then full LPs after mid-70s. Unfortunately, after late-1970s, Turkish prog scene has been mostly gone underground and too few prog albums are being released nowadays. Too few people like prog, prog bands tend to record in English language and abroad. Noone mentions and introduces Turkish prog bands except a few culture-newspaper writers; forum and online dictionary (e.g. Ekşi, Uludağ, Instela) users. Metal-side bands are just a bit more lucky, teens here enjoy metal bands and in highschools, many metal groups exist.

When I was becoming a teen, I got sick of this American-oriented pop (Turkish pop is just garbage since mid-2000s) and started to look for another music. I bumped into the legendary song of La Sagrada Familia from The Alan Parsons Project and fell in love. Aftermath? Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes... and falling more and more rapidly into the pit of prog.

With known bands, I'll try to introduce Turkish bands, and make reviews of lesser-known music.

Hope we'll all spend good times here!

Edited by ctasan - February 16 2017 at 23:46
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 01:11
Welcome, Can, great to have you ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 02:49
Welcome, Turkey is one of nations where I hope to go in near future ... Heart
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 05:46
Originally posted by ctasan ctasan wrote:

Hi, folks! I am Can, from Turkey, age is 18. A fan of psychedelic/space and symphonic, some Italian.

In middle-60s, a legendary scene has been emerged nicknamed Anatolian rock, a perfect blend of Turkish folk and psychedelic. (Erkin Koray, Barış Manço, Moğollar, Cem Karaca...) Firstly, materials had been released in two-song singles called "45'lik", then full LPs after mid-70s. Unfortunately, after late-1970s, Turkish prog scene has been mostly gone underground and too few prog albums are being released nowadays. Too few people like prog, prog bands tend to record in English language and abroad. Noone mentions and introduces Turkish prog bands except a few culture-newspaper writers; forum and online dictionary (e.g. Ekşi, Uludağ, Instela) users. Metal-side bands are just a bit more lucky, teens here enjoy metal bands and in highschools, many metal groups exist.

When I was becoming a teen, I got sick of this American-oriented pop (Turkish pop is just garbage since mid-2000s) and started to look for another music. I bumped into the legendary song of La Sagrada Familia from The Alan Parsons Project and fell in love. Aftermath? Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes... and falling more and more rapidly into the pit of prog.

With known bands, I'll try to introduce Turkish bands, and make reviews of lesser-known music.

good times? Yeah man.. this site is laugh a minute.  It will keep you entertained. Looking forward to you introducing some Turkish things.  There is a big world of prog out there to discover, and the day move past the gateway English bands, into the quicksand of killer quality but less fanfare, you'll be hooked as progger. For all the good times, good guys, bad guys, people with brains, people with mouths, the site really is best for helping explore that soft white underbelly of prog. You know, when you discover that Floyd could barely play their instruments, Genesis were boring as f**k, Tull got Dull when they tried to get intellectual, yes.. when you discover that by discovering the massive quality others produced.. umm hmmm.  Enjoy the site and don't forget those Turkish things man.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 06:58
Originally posted by ctasan ctasan wrote:

I guess you're familiar with these guys?

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 07:46
Welcome, Can!

By the way some bands (artists) from your country are on PA: http://www.progarchives.com/Bands-country.asp?country=190
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
ctasan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 09:20
Nice to hear from you all! :D

Siddhartha? Yes, we call them so but actually, they are another form of Pink Floyd! Unfortunately, after some concerts, the group disbanded in 1998 and two members are dead, traffic accidents :( 2009 album is just a remaster, stick with first one.

You can all come into Turkey, relatively low prices, magnificent places everywhere. Just stick to cheaper areas (and research), some restaurants and hotels have astronomical prices, even they increase for abroad tourists.
 Post Reply Post Reply