Topic ClosedThe Musical Box "Selling England By The Pound"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Musical Box "Selling England By The Pound"
    Posted: February 18 2017 at 10:13
I had the great pleasure to attend The Musical Box's performance of "Selling England By The Pound" last night (17 Feb, 2017) at the historic Arcada Theater in St. Charles, Illinois. 

I'm a fan of TMB, having seen their Foxtrot and Lamb shows, so I had high expectations & was not disappointed!  

TMB is more than a tribute band to Genesis....they strive to recreate the feel of the original Genesis concerts by using vintage instruments (real Mellotron!), electronics and stage settings.  They also pride themselves on performing the music nearly perfectly, note-for-note in a concert setting.  

The show opened with "Watcher of the Skies," which is an excellent opening song for this band!  After a quick costume change, they launched into "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight," with lush Mellotron 8-Voice chorus tapes filling the room!  

In addition to the tracks on "Selling England," they performed "The Musical Box," "Supper's Ready" and "Can Utility and the Coastliners" which was the encore song.  

If you ever have a chance to see this hard-working and dedicated band, please do so!!  

Edited by cstack3 - February 18 2017 at 12:25
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 10:27
I'm only waiting when they're coming back to the UK, and then I don't care where they are going to perform - I will be there, I heard enough about them

Edited by Darious - February 18 2017 at 10:27
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 12:02
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

I'm only waiting when they're coming back to the UK, and then I don't care where they are going to perform - I will be there, I heard enough about them

You will love them!  The Lamb show was outstanding, and they used many of the slides from the original Genesis tour.  

They will be in the UK later in 2017: 

I am always amazed at how perfectly they perform these works....like most of us, I think I know every nuance, every drum beat, every guitar note etc. in the songs, and they have those down exactly!!  

Edited by cstack3 - February 18 2017 at 12:52
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 12:22
This was during the opening song, Watcher of the Skies!

Edited by cstack3 - February 18 2017 at 12:29
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 12:27
This was the song "Musical Box" as I recall!  Nice lights!

Edited by cstack3 - February 18 2017 at 12:28
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 23:57
I saw them doing SEBTP in London, last October. Incredible show! I hope they tour the lamb some time soon.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 06:42
I saw them in Montreal, Quebec some years ago doing Foxtrot at the Bell Center where the Montreal Canadiens play. It was in the smaller theater-like cut down set up. Funny thing was that we went the day of the show hoping to score some tickets off a scalper but there was a guy giving them away as a promo ! Concert was great. They also did some other stuff that I can't remember. There was another band called Over The Garden Wall that used to play the clubs with a chick keyboard player back in n the eighties that I saw quite a few times. Not as elaborate as The Musical Box but really great nonetheless. They didn't play full albums but jumped around all over the place if I remember correctly. Even the later Phil Collins crap. 

Just found a vid of them. 

Edited by Kepler62 - April 24 2017 at 06:54
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 11:33
The whole idea of a cover band seems rather ridiculous to me. I prefer to hear what a band can bring to the musical table that is their own and not someone else’s. Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with emulation and being influenced by a mega prog band like Genesis, but I’d say these guys are better off trying to write their own music. I definitely have more interest in that than listening to a band play a Genesis piece note-for-note. If I want to listen to Genesis, I’ll listen to them.

Edited by Mirror Image - May 15 2017 at 11:34
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 22:51
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

The whole idea of a cover band seems rather ridiculous to me. I prefer to hear what a band can bring to the musical table that is their own and not someone else’s. Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with emulation and being influenced by a mega prog band like Genesis, but I’d say these guys are better off trying to write their own music. I definitely have more interest in that than listening to a band play a Genesis piece note-for-note. If I want to listen to Genesis, I’ll listen to them.

It is not only the music, but the entire vibe of Genesis in concert circa 1972-73!  Musical Box are perfectionists, who recreate the stage setting precisely.  They use vintage instruments & effects, and really bring this old music back to life. 

I don't know how much Genesis toured the US in those old days, and I never saw them until "And Then There Was Three," so it was a fine experience to hear the music faithfully performed and presented.  

I consider them to be far more than a cover band.  
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 21:08
^ Absolutely.

Saw them a good ten times in the last 20 years, even traveled in the early days and will definitely go see them again.

You don't do that for a cover band.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 15:11
Saw them twice doing 'the Lamb' both times phenomenal! I know its NOT the real thing but for the stage set up, the slides, the vibe.. it was as near to the real thing as you were going to get. I and a lot of other middle aged blokes had tears in our eyes. Yes, its nostalgia.. so what. Its no different from going to see a play performed with a different cast of a classical piece performed by a new orchestra with a new conductor.

I also saw them do the 'Trick of the tail' tour  and the 'Wind and Wuthering' tour and both of those were ace too.

Ive seen a couple of other Genesis tribute acts and have mixed feelings about them but the main thing is that these bands are mostly fans and when they ARE passionate it shows and you can feel it as an audience member.

There are, in my opinion, far too many lacklustre Pink Floyd tributes and ive only ever seen two that i'd go and see again.

Yes I agree that if you want the original thing, stay home and play the records!Wink

Chula Vista View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 23:46

The whole idea of a cover band seems rather ridiculous to me.

Missing the point. There will never be another live Genesis circa 1971-1973. So many new fans would love to experience that. Bands like this make it happen.

I saw Aussie Pink Floyd do the entire Wall album with Floyd's original lighting and tons of props. Blew my mind. Then for an encore they did DSOTM.

Thank god for bands willing to bring classic rock live experiences to new generations decades later.
I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 16:46
I've seen 'The Musical Box' on many occasions - including the LLDOB show at the Royal Albert Hall - and they have never disappointed. Seeing them on the 'Black Tour' in a few week's time and it'll be another chance to see my favourite music played in a way that I was too young to see at the time. Every orchestra is a tribute band for a great composer - so their continued existence is completely understandable. Younger groups carry on the prog torch with their own compositions and that is great!

My wife has never really been a progger, but she loves seeing them with me, as the whole visual and audio aspect really impresses her. She now plays classic Genesis on a regular basis and has tuned into Steve Hackett's solo stuff as well, along with the work of Nad Sylvan.

By the way, if you get the chance to see a different style of Genesis tribute - check out Los Endos - Ultimate Genesis. Saw them after we saw The Musical Box on the last UK tour, and we are seeing them again soon after this tour too. No stage backdrops or costumes - just the music and a very amiable and down to earth singer - but they do a grand job of the classic songs too. They are performing Seconds Out + a few extras this time and it'll be nice to hear a bit of Lamb, Trick And Wuthering this time too. Check out their website and tour dates if a dip in nostalgia is is needed between the new prog stuff. No need to be ashamed! 😎

Edited by Squonk19 - September 17 2017 at 16:49
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 20:03
I saw Genesis on The Lamb tour in early 1975. I was not quite 17, but at least vaguely, dimly aware that I was witnessing something special.
Until the turn of the century that was the greatest concert I had been to.
The closest you can get to that these days is The Musical Box, whom I've caught thrice.
Glad to hear how much enjoyment is being had.

Edited by Frankh - September 17 2017 at 20:04
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 13:42
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I've seen 'The Musical Box' on many occasions - including the LLDOB show at the Royal Albert Hall - and they have never disappointed. Seeing them on the 'Black Tour' in a few week's time and it'll be another chance to see my favourite music played in a way that I was too young to see at the time. Every orchestra is a tribute band for a great composer - so their continued existence is completely understandable. Younger groups carry on the prog torch with their own compositions and that is great!

My wife has never really been a progger, but she loves seeing them with me, as the whole visual and audio aspect really impresses her. She now plays classic Genesis on a regular basis and has tuned into Steve Hackett's solo stuff as well, along with the work of Nad Sylvan.

By the way, if you get the chance to see a different style of Genesis tribute - check out Los Endos - Ultimate Genesis. Saw them after we saw The Musical Box on the last UK tour, and we are seeing them again soon after this tour too. No stage backdrops or costumes - just the music and a very amiable and down to earth singer - but they do a grand job of the classic songs too. They are performing Seconds Out + a few extras this time and it'll be nice to hear a bit of Lamb, Trick And Wuthering this time too. Check out their website and tour dates if a dip in nostalgia is is needed between the new prog stuff. No need to be ashamed! 😎

Saw Los Endos last night (saw them this time last year too) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Bit more polished this time but still a few forgotten lines and fluffed starts.. didn't matter too much and didn't spoil it for me. Very good instrumentally and during instrumental bits like 'The Cinema show' & 'Firth of fifth' they really took flight which is nice to see. They do a lovely version of entangled too..Clap

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 15:22
Really great to hear they put in a good show. I remember the odd keyboard fluff/tempo change last time - but their enthusiasm and talent once they get into a song is to be admired. Looking forward to 'Entangled' - one of the late period classics. Cheers

Edited by Squonk19 - September 24 2017 at 15:24
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 07:02
Originally posted by Chula Vista Chula Vista wrote:

Missing the point. There will never be another live Genesis circa 1971-1973. So many new fans would love to experience that. Bands like this make it happen.

I saw Aussie Pink Floyd do the entire Wall album with Floyd's original lighting and tons of props. Blew my mind. Then for an encore they did DSOTM.

Thank god for bands willing to bring classic rock live experiences to new generations decades later.

Indeed, and I suspect the Musical Box do a better job than would a reformed full line up Genesis, these days. TMB do this for a living and have got their act down to a fine art. Banks & Co are luke warm about their back catalogue, much older and would be less able to play the faster heavier sections of the music as well as they did, and the tickets would cost £££££$$$$$$. Better off with TMB for the full old Genesis experience. IMO..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 10:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Chula Vista Chula Vista wrote:

Indeed, and I suspect the Musical Box do a better job than would a reformed full line up Genesis, these days. TMB do this for a living and have got their act down to a fine art. Banks & Co are luke warm about their back catalogue, much older and would be less able to play the faster heavier sections of the music as well as they did, and the tickets would cost £££££$$$$$$. Better off with TMB for the full old Genesis experience. IMO..

Agreed.  Gabriel says his voice has changed & he can no longer sing the older Genesis material, and I doubt if the band would have much patience to play the old music with the concentration and precision of TMB (with the exception being Hackett, probably). 

Hackett once said that TMB were probably even better than Genesis were back in the day!  Quite an endorsement.  I highly recommend them.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Richey Edwards View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 13:04
I saw them last night in Edinburgh and have saw them 5 times in total.
In fact, seeing TMB playing The Lamb was my introduction to prog music when I was 15 and listened to trash like rap music. I was mesmerised. A life changing experience.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 13:41
I saw The Musical Box a couple of week’s ago in Gateshead - and they were again very good. Very much the same show in general as last year, but with the Black Show backdrop - which while authentic, wasn't quite as atmospheric as the White Show with the hour glass props etc. They did a great Lamb medley for the encore and it bodes well if they return to that album next year - as maybe the Selling England set needs a bit of a rest to keep the magic.

Saw the UK tribute - Los Endos - who I mentioned earlier, last night at Whitley Bay, and I cannot recommend them any higher to anyone here in the UK. Great show - no attempt at costumes, but a great sound and light show - with a modest, self-effacing style. Actually thought the keyboard sound was closer to that of the original than The Musical Box on this occasion too. They did the whole of the Seconds Out album along with Entangled, Lillywhite Lillith, The Lamia, Back in NYC, One for the Vine and Return of the Giant Hogweed too! Wonderful! Even made Robbery, Assault and Battery sound great - which takes a bit of doing! 😉

Gabriel/Hackett-era Genesis was such a unique sound at the time, and still resonates despite the thousands of bands who have either copied it or morphed from it to other styles. To see any great semi-pro musicians recreate it to a new audience is to be celebrated and not criticised. I look forward to seeing both The Musical Box and Los Endos again next year, and if Re-Genesis get things going again, I'll be there too! 😎

Edited by Squonk19 - October 22 2017 at 14:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>