Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 18:44
June of which year?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 19:11
I'll need to hear samples before I commit, though I am going to see his show in the fall.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 23:55
I have to say that the 'teaser' snippet sounded a bit weak (especially the drum sound, if it's even real drums ??). What happened to the dude who created Several Species and played righteous bass in Pompeii ??
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 02:38
Pink Floyd Tribute Band Member:
This gigs going well! Wait a minute! Roger Waters has just got up from he audience and started singing!

Another Pink Floyd Tribute Band Member:
Just do as he says! He could murder us all!

https://youtu.be/PEh7Ip4yvH8

"Smell The Roses" sounds corny for the first few minutes, but then from 2.20 something happens that if spread across the whole album, would make it the best thing Roger has ever done!
And June 2017!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 02:49
Why not embed the YT right away??

It avoids us to have to go to the Evil-Google owned YT pages

This is rather very promising too. StarClap

Edited by Sean Trane - April 21 2017 at 03:03
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 03:04
Well, the last three minutes are really a nice listen Approve.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 03:59
Anyone tried the slowed down version of Several Species.........??   Some of the evilest, trippiest freaky sounds ever committed to tape - by a f.ucking GENIUS.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 04:01
Slowed down how? Not having a 16rpm turntable...

Try the Hare Krshna LPs at 78RPM instead, they rock!! I have one in which Claudio Rocchi was playing the sitar.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 04:22
^ Check YouTube (I'm so lame, I can't link anything...)
Someone (there's actually 2) slowed down Several Species. It sounds beyond evil !!
Actually, hats off to Roger for multi-tracking all manner of vocalising and random sounds he'd made and blended up to form the piece. It is a very 'difficult' listen, always has been, always will be, but an incredible amount of effort and creativity went in to the piece. A masterpiece of Avant-Garde if there ever was one.
But this new song from him seems like a totally 'different' Rog to the guy I've held in high esteem for a lifetime...Sorry
Having said that - I flipped when I heard It's A Miracle back in '92. I thought he nailed it (whatever 'it' is) with that one.

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 21 2017 at 04:28
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 10:00
Smell The Roses smells like crap to me........doesn't have me hangin' for the album at all.......
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 13:02
Nice.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 12:24
This could undo everything but, The Telegraph has an interview with Roger. You have to sign up to the paper to read it. So I just made a free account and copied and pasted, then deleted the related (IE: Completely unrelated) Music related links underneath.
Steady yourself! Contains opinions on former band members that might make you laugh, recoil in horror or be too stunned to process!

Quote Pink Floyd's Roger Waters: ‘Dave Gilmour and I will never be mates’ - interview

Roger Waters

Neil McCormick, music critic
4 MAY 2017 • 7:00AM
For someone who preaches peace and love, Roger Waters picks a lot of fights. The 73-year-old, who regularly speaks out against far-Right politicians and “greedy” corporations, has been feuding with former Pink Floyd bandmate Dave Gilmour for more than 30 years and revels in stirring arguments.

“Of course I’m belligerent,” announces the four-time divorcee when we meet in a recording studio in New York. Considering the dedicated way in which he has pursued his vendetta against Gilmour, I suppose this shouldn’t come as a surprise. But, with millions in his bank account and a major Pink Floyd retrospective about to open at the V&A Museum in London, to which Waters has given his blessing, I had assumed he might have mellowed.

Not a bit of it.

“Dave and I are not mates, we never were and I doubt we ever will be,” he says. “Which is fine, there’s no reason why we should be.” The exhibition, called Their Mortal Remains, promises to be a real blockbuster, in the vein of the V&A’s 2013 David Bowie show, revealing more than 350 artefacts, from hand-written lyrics to musical instruments, original artwork and the band’s famous inflatable stage props.

Waters says he is happy about the exhibition but, during a discussion about the relative values placed on lyrics, melody and arrangement in his songwriting, it becomes obvious that he still bears a grudge about the way he was treated by the band and, in particular, the way they dismissed his musical abilities.

“The music is hugely important to me,” he says. “It may sound daft to say, but over the years I maybe haven’t taken quite enough credit for it. I think the idea that Rick [Wright, keyboard player] and David particularly tried to sell me in the band, when I was a young man, was that I was a bit of a headmaster but I shouldn’t bother myself with music because I wasn’t musical. It’s absolute crap. I’m twice the musician either of those guys ever were. I just am. I’ve got it. It’s in me.”

The public can assess this claim for themselves next month, when Waters releases his first solo album for 25 years. Is This the Life We Really Want? is a politically charged concept album on which Waters rails against warmongering governments, mourns the plight of refugees, calls Donald Trump a nincompoop and generally vents his spleen at the inequalities of the modern world.

“I recognise a theme that I keep returning to, in all my work since Echoes (from Pink Floyd’s Meddle in 1971). It’s an obsessive belief in a humanity that we share, which makes it possible for me to empathise with you, whoever you are. But for some of us, it’s so deeply buried that we will never touch it.

“President Trump, there’s no way he’ll ever empathise with anybody. If you talk about love to him, it would be like talking Swahili – he couldn’t understand it. But I still believe it’s there. I’m in love with the idea that there is no ‘us and them’.”

Waters’s forthcoming tour is named Us + Them after the classic song from Dark Side of the Moon. It kicks off in America at the end of May. His previous tour of The Wall is the highest-ever grossing by a solo musician. Apparently, Trump attended a show at Madison Square Garden in 2010, but left at the interval. “So he saw the wall being built but didn’t wait for it to be torn down.”

The album’s tone veers between elegiac sorrow, righteous anger and world-weary cynicism, in a sonic landscape of vast synths, shimmering acoustic guitars and cavernous drums, all linked by odd tape loops and Waters’s dry, elliptical narration. It is hugely reminiscent of Floyd’s classic Seventies work, from Dark Side of the Moon to The Wall. Waters ascribes this to the input of Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich.

“He’s a fan. I think he would admit this is a sort of homage. All the found voices and sound effects were made using analogue tape loops. It’s been 50 years since I saw anybody try that. I love the random nature of it. You know, we were doing it in the Floyd way back in 1969. We would arrive at a point in the show and have a little transistor radio on the stage, put a microphone in front of it, stop playing and turn it on. Just go and make a cup of tea.”

Interestingly, Waters turns out not to be a fan of Radiohead, a group many see as carrying on Floyd’s experimental mantle. “I find it sort of impenetrable. I like my rock’n’roll to be very direct. I don’t want to be digging around trying to figure out the meaning.”

For someone with so much to say, it is interesting to consider that Waters’s songwriting career came about by accident. When Pink Floyd formed in 1965, Waters was the bassist, content to follow childhood friend Syd Barrett’s lead. Following the release of their debut album, The Piper at the Gate of Dawn in 1967, Barrett’s descent into drug-induced psychosis led to the recruitment of guitarist Gilmour and the departure of their founder.

“When Syd went crazy, either we gave up or somebody started writing. So it was a matter of necessity. You can’t have a band without songs, however crappy they might be. And there are a huge number of bands out there who have writers who are useless. Frankly, most rock’n’roll is awful.”

Waters and Gilmour shared vocal duties, and all four members (with Rick Wright and drummer Nick Mason) contributed musically. But as time went on, Waters increasingly took the creative reins, leading to growing resentments and disagreement. When Waters quit in 1985, “I hoped that was the end of Floyd.” Waters sued his bandmates to stop them using the name – a decision about which he will now shrug and frankly say: “I was wrong.” Although the quartet reunited to headline Live8 in 2005, there has never been any realistic possibility of rapprochement.

Wright died in 2008. Mason, however, remains close to all parties and was key to facilitating the V&A exhibition.

“I love Nick. And he loves me. We were always close. But you can be creative without being friends. David and I did a lot of really great work together, which wouldn’t exist without both of us being there.”

Floyd released three albums after Waters departed (A Momentary Lapse of Reason in 1986, The Division Bell in 1994 and 2016’s final posthumous Rick Wright album, The Endless River). Waters claims to have heard only bits and pieces. “I’m just not really interested. It’s not my business to be judging any of that.”

When it came to mounting an exhibition, he says there was “a little bit of negotiation about what should happen. I’ve always been a bit lairy about what I did with Pink Floyd being mixed up with the later version I had nothing to do with. But that’s all sorted. They’re in different rooms.”

And will he take the time to examine those rooms when he visits the exhibition? “I think you have to go through them to get out. That’s how it’s designed. I don’t think you can skip it,” Waters laughs. “That’s fine. Whatever. There is no escape.”

Is This the Life We Really Want? is released by Columbia on June 2. Pink Floyd: Their Mortal Remains opens at the V&A Museum, London SW7, on May 13. Click here for more information.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/pink-floyds-roger-watersdave-gilmour-will-never-mates-interview/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_em
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 21:20
Waters twice the musician Gilmour and Wright were? He's got a huge ego. Yeah, he plays bass well enough, but nowhere nearly as special as Gilmour on guitar or Wright on keyboards. And as far as songwriting goes, yeah, he's done some incredible songs... but so has Gilmour and Wright (let's remember, as far as I understand, Wright was the main writer for Echoes, which many consider the best Floyd song)... so, at the best, I would say Waters was equal to the other two as far as songwriting goes. And it's still obvious that their best work was when they worked together.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 23:44
Roger hasn't really evolved musically in the last 40 years at all has he? 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 00:00
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Roger hasn't really evolved musically in the last 40 years at all has he? 
He has evolved - downwards.......
When I was a teen, Waters was a bass GOD to me. Now he's the bloody nincompoop. So disappointing.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 02:28
Well, well... As far as I'm informed Twice the Musician had his bass taken over by David Gilmour when it came to playing the more difficult parts. He may be the better songwriter, but as musicians David and Rick are above him.

Anyway, I hope that his new album won't be filled with BDS-pallycrap which I can't stand.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 02:45
Oh my GOD - STOP THE PRESSES!!!! Roger has a problem with Dave Gilmour?! This staggering piece of information is all brand new and shocking!!

For f**k's sake, Rog...just when you think he's a bitter tired old man, he somehow proves that he's an even MORE of a bitter and tired old man.

Rog likes to think that he's the `real' Floyd, but it wasn't him playing all those majestic guitar solos, offering warmer singing and crafting rambling self-indulgent lyrics into more melodic and approachable shape. Sure, when you're a younger fella it's easy to jump on the whole Rog bandwagon because he had the edgier approach than Gilmour, he wrote more `controversial' and weightier material, etc, but he sure never had the impeccable musician skills, keen melodic ear, stronger voice and humanity that made Gilmour stand out, and when you grow up a bit and get bored with Rog's endless weary and stuffy blunt dismissals and arrogance, you appreciate Gilmour's efforts that little bit more.

Let's hope this album delivers something decent...I'm honestly surprised he roped in Nigel Godrich to produce the album which may suggest it will have some interesting stuff going on around creaky Rog. I kind of assumed the album would be full of strained ol' Rog batting away simply on an acoustic guitar - urgh...

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - May 05 2017 at 02:50
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 02:57
Quote I’m twice the musician either of those guys ever were. I just am. I’ve got it. It’s in me.
LOLLOLLOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 03:02
f**king CensoredPigCensored Captcha

AngryThumbs DownAngryOuchDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

Lost another long post, because I forgot to copy before sending and that bloody robot-searck screwed up - as usual (asking for mountains and wanting you to also check hills)

MAX, JS: can you please get rid of this frigghing crap, PLEASE!!!

Edited by Sean Trane - May 05 2017 at 03:04
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 03:32
^ Waters should make a concept album about Captchas, to raise awareness of a true modern world problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>