FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Waters New Album May 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 03:46
He'd probably just make it dreary and bat on about for thirty-plus years as well, Sam
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 03:56
^ Yeah, when no one remembers what a captcha is Tongue

Craaaaazy
These tests for robots make me craaaaazy LOL
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 04:32
Well at least Roger has answered the question "Are Radiohead Prog?"!

Maybe the band have always hated each other and the veil has been lifted? I love the pure Spinal Tap of the post-Waters work being in a separate room and you have to go through it to reach the exit of the exhibition!
Good chance I'll buy the album, but take Roger seriously? Well, not really.
But that interview was funny. Not as great as "Who The Hell Does Roger Waters Think He Is?" interview in Q in the early 90's. But close enough!

Edited by AZF - May 05 2017 at 04:33
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 14:42
Ticket prices for the show in Detroit (the Palace of Auburn Hills) are absolutely obscene. Nose bleed seats (third tier) are over $80 and good main floor seats run from $400 to almost $600. I don't need to see him that bad. I'll just pleasantly recall the 1977 In the Flesh tour where seats were $12.50. That's what parking costs now. Censored
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 15:01
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Ticket prices for the show in Detroit (the Palace of Auburn Hills) are absolutely obscene. Nose bleed seats (third tier) are over $80 and good main floor seats run from $400 to almost $600. I don't need to see him that bad. I'll just pleasantly recall the 1977 In the Flesh tour where seats were $12.50. That's what parking costs now. Censored

IMHO, waste of money.
Nothing new. All this we heard 30 years ago.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 04:41
OK so from the two songs released it's clearly a greatest hits album re-written with new Roger lyrics and singing? OK! Where do I sign? I may be an idiot for wanting to buy this, but I'm not that much of one if I wouldn't dream of seeing him live! See a musician live instead for a lower price! However I'm still an idiot for not being able to suss how to embed videos into the forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf7kMaurLZk
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 04:47
Originally posted by RoadLASER RoadLASER wrote:

IMHO, waste of money.

Quite an increase since the first gig I attended (Pink Floyd, Animals tour, 19 Feb 1977). I paid ƒ25,= ($12,43 today) for a ticket. Shocked
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 05:03
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

However I'm still an idiot for not being able to suss how to embed videos into the forum.

LOLLOLLOL

2 steps

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 06:26

IMHO, waste of money.

Seems to work fine for plenty of bands, if the music is good I'll buy it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 20:13
So a new song has been released already. I have actually been rather underwhelmed by the two songs he has shown already... they just don't hold a candle to Gilmour's last album, which I found really enjoyable (overall, my favourite Gilmour solo album so far). I wonder if he'll have better songs within the rest of the album (though he's suposed to choose the better ones to release first, shouldn't he?). Now, I also wonder why didn't he include the songs he has written since Amused to Death that have not been released on a Studio album yet? OK, Flickering Flame and Leaving Beirut left me rather underwhelmed too (though I did like the lyrics and acompanig video from Leaving Beirut when he played it live), but Each Small Candle is one of his very best songs as far as I'm concerned. But so far, this new album seems bound to be rather uninspired, unless the rest of the songs end up being much more interesting than these two.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2017 at 23:12
Seems EVERYTHING Rog has done since Amused To Death has been underwhelming.
More and more I prefer Roger the bassist, not Roger the song-writer (even though he composed some phenomenal material in the past).
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 09:10
I'm not impressed by anything he's doe on his own, to be honest, so I shouldn't be disappointed by these new songs. But I am.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 21:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Seems EVERYTHING Rog has done since Amused To Death has been underwhelming.
More and more I prefer Roger the bassist, not Roger the song-writer (even though he composed some phenomenal material in the past).

Well, he has done just about nothing since Amused to Death... except touring a lot (oh well, and writing an Opera, but I don't think many of his fans really give much thought about it). And some new songs played on his shows (I remember 3... perhaps up to 4... I don't think it's more than 5). Perhaps his problem has been his obsession about making concept albums... perhaps if he concentrated in just writing good songs and not worring about the overall concept to link them together he might have finished something much sooner.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 00:58
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

OK so from the two songs released it's clearly a greatest hits album re-written with new Roger lyrics and singing? 

Yes, I've heard them too. He's at the point of rehashing stuff he's already written, though there are plenty of bands that have been doing that for years anyway. 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 03:52
Heh...I was going into this new track of Roger's fearing the worst. What a nice surprise it was to hear Floyd riffs up the wazoo and even a small musical break with synths and a follow-up guitar bit. Well shiver me timbers!!!
Now we just need Roger to shut up from time to time and we've got a real album coming our way.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 04:22
I dunno.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 12:13
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

IMHO, <span id="result_" ="short_text"="" lang="en"><span ="alt-edited"="">waste of money. </span></span>
<span id="result_" ="short_text"="" lang="en"><span>Nothing new.</span> <span =""="">All this we heard 30 years ago.</span></span>

Quite an increase since the first gig I attended (Pink Floyd, Animals tour, 19 Feb 1977). I paid ƒ25,= ($12,43 today) for a ticket. Shocked

and money became king.
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 12:30
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

and money became king.

You are absolutely right. 38 years to sing The Wall is a very hard work - this requires a very good pay LOL
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 07:57
First review in from Uncut magazine sales pitches:

Uncut magazine

"With precision timing, Waters' first rock album in 25 years arrives during a period of significant global unrest. Accordingly, Is This The Life...documents rendition, torture and drone strikes while songs are populated by refugees, a leader "with no f**king brains" and clandestine secret committees. To bring these ominous reports to life, Waters and producer Nigel Godrich have assembled a band (including Jonathan Wilson) who are ciphers for the best of Waters sound. There is expansive, ambient backing, linked by sound collages, while "When We Were Young" shares the rolling piano and acoustic strum of "Wish You Were Here" and the synth blasts on "Picture That" recall "Welcome to the Machine". A final suite of three songs - "Wait For Her", "Oceans Apart" and "Part of me Died" - offer a more intimate perspective; a warm, optimistic coda to Waters' apocalyptic reveries".

8/10. Michael Bonner.

Wow! Still sold on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123