Topic ClosedHeadphones or Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 16:37
Originally posted by WaterSnake WaterSnake wrote:

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the matter, and if they have any preferred model or brand ect.
I personally prefer speakers because I've had the chance to use some incredible ones in the past, but I'm intending on saving money for some high quality headphones as I reckon they'll have the edge over a proper sound system at lower prices. Smile

speakers all the way man... pfff....you can not annoy your neighbors or rattle the pictures on the wall with headphones.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 19:37
Headphones for stereo.  Speakers for surround... :)  Speakers is OK for stereo.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 22:14
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Speakers, so I won't need to pause the music to get more coffee or urinate.

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the matter, and if they have any preferred model or brand ect.
I personally prefer speakers because I've had the chance to use some incredible ones in the past, but I'm intending on saving money for some high quality headphones as I reckon they'll have the edge over a proper sound system at lower prices. Smile

speakers all the way man... pfff....you can not annoy your neighbors or rattle the pictures on the wall with headphones.

Thinking practically... I approve! Thumbs Up
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 23:13

Bluetooth headphones serve the same purpose.
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 01:30
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Thinking practically... I approve! Thumbs Up
I live in a house and speakers just annoys my wife.  I don't recommend it.LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 08:27
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

And a million dollar house to accomodate the whole thing with justice, that's the real problem Cry

Stick to the SF, but you are right they need plenty of juice  - I run them with a  Pre/ 160W Power from  Advance Acoustics, best combo around for such an affordable tag (and also gooood-looking)

Its only money, you will make more Big smile. I agree on good looking speakers, its one reason I bought the Rega RX5, I bought mine in walnut, matches really nice with the decor in our music area. Can't post a pic, PA still wonky for me right now Confused
I saw a review of something by Advance Acoustics, French company if I remember right.....I remember reading good gear for a tremendous value.

Nice
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 09:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Its only money, you will make more Big smile. I agree on good looking speakers, its one reason I bought the Rega RX5, I bought mine in walnut, matches really nice with the decor in our music area. Can't post a pic, PA still wonky for me right now Confused

I agree and I don't. In some ways, this is about ... how much and how well, you want to hear these things?

The impact that you get from a large room with great speakers, is FAR AND FAR AND FAR and away, better and stronger to your body, than if you were to hear it on your headset, and I am not sure that folks have considered this when hearing a lot of the progressive music that we love. 

The impact of it, on the body, is a better experience, in that it goes farther around your body, rather than simply keep it into one area of your body. You can not imagine the experience your body will get when listening to something, just through headphones, rather than experience it in a large studio with equipment that is far and beyond what our ears can imagine and have heard.

It's a weird discussion, in that we're mixing what WAS, with what IS, and that's an unfair discussion. I am not sure that FM radio could have an impact today, like it did 50 years ago, when there was no such thing, and you were hearing this THUNDEROUS music that shook you to pieces ... in stereo, in large cities where the signal was even BETTER than your own ability to conceive it.

Today, this is meaningless, as the ear thing is as good as the stereo on the radio, but one's ability to differentiate is not there, because you have not heard the large room with the large speakers and the music exploding out of the cones!

You will know, why a Strauss is Strauss (or 2001 opening!), or the 5th is the 5th, or The Rite is the RIGHT thing to listen to ... and that experience has a limitation on the ears only, instead of the body!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 14:36
Pedro, I agree....I am old enough to know the difference, growing up with speakers in my room and playing music at nice levels, that was fun as a teen.
Today my in ear monitors will never give me that experience. This is why I have an audio system where I listen to my music thru speakers.
Hearing the craziness of Soup by Can or the simple build up of say Stairway To Heaven by LZ and the big sound with the huge soundstage that fills my room, cannot be compared to headphones. The helicopter sounds and clocks from Pink Floyd that just fill the room all around me.....That's cool!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 10:58
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The helicopter sounds and clocks from Pink Floyd that just fill the room all around me.....That's cool!

Perfect example ... and if you check out my review of Roger's The Wall, opposite the original, you will find that I mentioned this, and how valuable it was to the experience, and mostly when the girl comes in to the room and mentions all the guitars ... in the original, in Quad around the Sports Arena (LA), it was like the door was behind you and the guitars were up front, and she could "see them" and you felt that as she walked across the room to the guitars. On the headphones, that separation is not quite there and developed as well as it was originally, and in Roger's? Totally gone, and it went from left to right on the stage and that was that, and the "personal" experience side of it was GONE.

A lot of this is missing in Steven Wilson's redo's, for example. The ability to make the music "BE HERE AND NOW", instead of an idea of where it should be. SW's mixes are more like a symphony conductor just getting the symphony together cleanly ... but missing a lot of the emotional ability and involvement in the music itself.

That is not a knock on his solo work, or Porcupine Tree, however, it is, in general, something that is very much SW's style .. he's "apart" from it, observing it ... he's not in the middle of it, and I think that is a very important consideration when listening to music.

One girlfriend of mine thought that LZ was very sexy, and got her going. But she would not listen to it on Headphones, because it was not the same. The sound itself, live, or on speakers, provided a physical response that the headset could not provide regardless of how loud it was. Since that time, this has become a huge difference ... how men and women perceive music ... we're too damn mental, and do not know enough or give a darn about the physical. Women, differ in that perception, in ways that we can only imagine. And, at the time (first 4 albums) the other one she could relate to, was Rickie Lee Jones, who lost most of that feeling after "Magazine", when she got "famous".

Edited by moshkito - February 24 2017 at 10:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Harmonicbliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 14:05
i like to do both-speakers to "feel" The music- and headphones to appreciate it.
There are just some nuances That make the album even more groundbreaking and progressive in sound engineering that you can only appreciate through a good set of headphones.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 10:01
Originally posted by Harmonicbliss Harmonicbliss wrote:

i like to do both-speakers to "feel" The music- and headphones to appreciate it.
There are just some nuances That make the album even more groundbreaking and progressive in sound engineering that you can only appreciate through a good set of headphones.

I'm not sure this is true, or correctly worded. Check out, if you can, the DVD with Klaus Schulze and Lisa Gerrard, and the added on interview with SW and then the one about their ability to clean up something inside the music for the CD to make it cleaner ... that bit itself, is SHOWN on the screen in loud speakers that they and us can hear VERY WELL, even if it is slightly augmented from the overall piece, so that it can be heard on its own and ... the need to clean it up shows up. 

In other words, it can be picked up both ways. It does not matter which, and it probably is determined by your comfort zone. But the scary thought is ... for hundreds of years, no one used HEADPHONES and yet, the music is here ... and we hear it ... do you EVER wonder why? Do you really think, it's just the melody? Or the headphones, that kept that music around for some hundreds of years?

The mind and body are amazing, and a receptacle with no ends ... and its memory, is golden, and far more valuable and "alive" than any headphone you will EVER use in your life! In essence, you are LIMITING the complete experience of the music if all you use is the headphones! The rest of your body is only imagining what your ears translate, instead of letting it receive it "directly" ... from the speakers or the source!

Reminds me of that commercial ... is it live or memorex ... I guess everything has to be memorex now, and we can't even conceive of it being alive ... might as well have sex with a plastic doll?

Edited by moshkito - February 25 2017 at 10:04
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 15:55
Originally posted by Harmonicbliss Harmonicbliss wrote:

......better on a well assembled audio system with speakers. In the recording studio and mastering/mixing rooms they use monitors (box speakers) not headphones.
Not knocking cans, they have a purpose.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 16:03

here, here....Can't do this w/headphones

tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 05:59
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 15:17
Headphones usually .....so I don't annoy the wife and in the car the car stereo of course .
I don't often play my old stereo speakers these days but on occasion I go downstairs and crank them....but they are over 40 years old (custom made in Indiana at college) and even though they were decent then they sound a bit dated now.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 16:31
You haven't listened to prog until you'very listened to it on a speakerphone.

WaterSnake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2017 at 11:06
I've decided on getting some decent headphones, unsure of what model but I've got a very knowledgeable friend that's going to take a look with me, probably looking to spend around £160 so I think that'll be enough to help give me a more immersive experience, that I can get lost in, very much looking forward to keeping my old £30 ones for outside day to day use. 
It was really interesting to see what people think about the different listening devices, especially with different albums being best experienced on different devices, I'm personally hoping that some Jethro won't loose a bit of it's charm through headphones as I imagine it to be best experienced through speakers, but who knows, I may be very pleasantly surprised.

Hope everyone's having a good day, Peace 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 15:33

I've decided on getting some decent headphones, unsure of what model but I've got a very knowledgeable friend that's going to take a look with me, probably looking to spend around £160 so I think that'll be enough to help give me a more immersive experience, that I can get lost in, very much looking forward to keeping my old £30 ones for outside day to day use. 

My ESS HEIL AMT 1 speakers, cost me about 650 to 700 dollars in 1975 or so  ... had to hear PF, and KS and AD2 and all those folks in a much better set than what I had! I just had them re-coned here in Portland they still kick butt, and I asked Jay (the old man at the store JaMac) what he thought at the speakers ... he said he would not buy a whole lot of some speakers these days, that are built way too cheap for the appreciation of music ... mostly because everyone is so commercialized with the cheap stuff all over the market!

To me, that says a lot about the music itself and the need to "relate to it". For most teens, including us, it was just a passing phase that went away when the kids started arriving!

Not to me!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 06:26
Totally dependent on the quality of either headphones or speakers and the track you're listening to. 

No preference. I tend to mix all my stuff on headphones, though. 

Mystic Mamba View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 22:52
I've had my trusty pair of Sony headphones for as long as I can remember, and they still sound great! I like headphones for listening to music throughout the day. Of course, nothing beats the joy of blasting music at full volume on the loud stereo, which typically only happens on weekends. I can't remember what brand I have (I've gone through quite a few), but it isn't too hard to find good quality speakers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>