Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedjourney to the center of the earth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: journey to the center of the earth
    Posted: February 21 2017 at 13:46
Upon listening the narration is suburb,the instrumentation is above par ,quite an oddity by today,s standards but this is an rick wakeman masterpiece no matter the subject matter or proggy workout, i am just glad to say no one comes near to this keyboard maestro very,very good a 9/10  Clap
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 14:13
The narration by the late, great David Hemmings greatly set the mood for the piece.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 19:41
One of my first prog albums before I totally turned into a zombie prog freak. heheheh  Got it from Columbia Record Club along with King Arthur.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 21:13
I love Wakeman, and I do like this album a lot... but I prefer Myths and Legends... for me that one is my favourite from him. On Journey my main complain is the way the songs are presented, as only two sides, or perhaps even 2 songs by side, broken by the narration in the middle of the songs... and also it seems Rick didn't have so many musical ideas, since he repeated some passages almost exactly the same. I guess both things were somewhat corrected on the new studio version he recorded, given the way he presented the track list, and having more music in general... but still I mostly prefer the original one, it kind of has a more genuine sound, and his keyboards are more in the face and special sounding, on the new one they kind of get lost with the orchestra. Also, if you like this one, you might want to check out Return to the Centre of the Earth.
 Post Reply Post Reply