Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas The Tooth Fairy helped or harmed humanity?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has The Tooth Fairy helped or harmed humanity?
    Posted: February 23 2017 at 02:46
...sounds like an irreverent piss-take of Teo's thread but bear me out. 

The Tooth Fairy is just one of the many lies we use to ease the task of parenting because lying to small children is piss-easy, they are such gullible tykes that even the most inept liars among us can pull it off with aplomb ... "Sorry sweetie, that's the tune the ice-cream man plays when he's run out of ice-cream", "go to sleep or the bogie man will get you" (never did understand the logic of that one), "sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you"... 

The Tooth Fairy is a belief system we use to placate young children who have suffered the mild trauma of losing one of their milk-teeth (aka deciduous, primary or baby teeth). On the surface it's a harmless practice of lying to children who are at a very impressionable age and are thus naturally inclined to believe everything their parents tell them, and we reward them for believing in this lie by sneaking into their bedrooms once they are asleep and leaving a silver coin under their pillows in exchange for the aforementioned tooth... The Tooth Fairy is a bit of a win-win because, unlike Santa Claus, there is a fixed cut-off for when this lie has run its course should the child fail to disbelieve in the existence of the Tooth Fairy before all twenty baby teeth have fallen out, for even at a pound, dollar or euro per tooth it's not going to break the bank of mum and dad. Once the existence of [this fairy] has been revealed to be a bit of a fib then this paves the way for other white lies to be painlessly (and harmlessly) discarded, such as Santa and the Easter Bunny, and the child slowly learns the difference between fantasy and reality without losing trust in the parents. Few children grow into teens believing that the Tooth Fairy is real and hopefully no one reaches adulthood still holding onto that belief (otherwise there is going to be one mystified parent and one very unhappy child waking up one morning to discover the lost tooth is still under the pillow). 

Yet no one has to prove that the Tooth Fairy does not exist, no one would argue with a child who has just realised that it doesn't and no one would say that not believing in the Tooth Fairy is a belief system. [... and no one would condemn them to an eternity in the afterlife searching for their lost teeth that the Tooth Fairy failed to collect either.] All adults accept that the Tooth Fairy is not real without the need for proof, we all acknowledge that it is a custom we adopt (that someone else made up) for a perfectly valid reason at a particular stage in a child's physiological development. The same is also true for every other fantastical being that most (if not all) adults do not believe actually ever existed...

/gah, my spelling is atrocious today Unhappy

Edited by Dean - February 23 2017 at 03:02
What?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 03:03
Now do one on neo-prog.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 05:39
The tooth fairy is just as fantastical as some  ding dong in the sky. 

Edited by Kepler62 - February 23 2017 at 05:48
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 06:51
The Tooth Fairy was my mum. I knew it right from the start (unlike Sinterklaas, about whose existence I had no doubts until the age of six). She was real and she still is. I put my lost milk tooth in a matchbox and the next day the tooth was gone and there was a 25 cent coin in the matchbox. Fortunately, the bad condition of my upper milk teeth did not affect the exchange rate Smile (pun intended).

Edited by someone_else - February 23 2017 at 06:54
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:24
I get very angry with the missus when I return home following a tooth extraction, demand a pound, and she refuses. She even goes so far as to tell me Ms Tooth Fairy does not exist.

If that is so, why did my Mummy lie to me?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:49
Harmed. The f**ker took half a tooth and gave me absolutely no money for it. Don't fall for this meme guys, it's a scam. Thumbs Down
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:50
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The Tooth Fairy was my mum. I knew it right from the start (unlike Sinterklaas, about whose existence I had no doubts until the age of six). She was real and she still is. I put my lost milk tooth in a matchbox and the next day the tooth was gone and there was a 25 cent coin in the matchbox. Fortunately, the bad condition of my upper milk teeth did not affect the exchange rate Smile (pun intended).

That's all I got was 25 cents in an asprin container but that bought a lot of candy at the corner store back in the 60s. I always wondered why I never got a raise. 

Edited by Kepler62 - February 23 2017 at 07:51
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:53
It certainly caused a mental scar on my son when he lost a tooth once and we forgot to leave the obligatory pound coin under his pillow. We had to make up a story about the Tooth Fairy running a bit late after a particularly busy night and then sneak it under while he was washing.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 08:35
Tooth Fairying just hasn't been the same since Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson got the gig.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 10:44
Kind of related but celebrities saying they still believe in Santa Claus etc. I believe is harmful (or just stupid).
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 16:01
Very good point, this being that the Tooth Fairy (which by the way at least in my region of origin wasn't really used or known) actually serves a purpose but can be easily removed, to use a word, once the believer, the child, has enough age to understand things. 

Under that light, religion may have had its usefulness in the years when humanity as a group (and that is debatable, humanity being a group) wasn't mature. Now that we have developed science and are in the process of finding more and more about why things happen and exist, couldn't we be told the truth? 

Alas, there's no power to be gained/maintained by anybody for maintaining the tooth Fairy myth being believed well into adulthood. Unlike religion... 
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 16:12
^ Now that we have science we might be stupider. Mature. you must be joking. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 16:53
^Sadly somewhat true.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 17:00
What I want to know is how my mom sneaked bills under my pillow while I was asleep.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 17:16
Bills, wow in my day it was a coin, inflation I guess

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 18:54
I can't remember anytime in my childhood in which I actually believed in the tooth fairy. It was approached as more of a make-believe thing between me and my parents, and I understood make-believe thanks to comic books and such.

I don't know what these comments about Santa Claus are about, though. Santa Claus is real. He's Mike Matthews CEO of Electro-Harmonix.

He and his elves build presents, do the Christmas thing, and then it's off to the NAMM Show.

Um, even Santa needs a puff now and again.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 19:19
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

What I want to know is how my mom sneaked bills under my pillow while I was asleep.

yeah man.. gotta agree with Timmy there...  rich family? ehh LOL... I got a frickin quarter for each tooth and it still bought a lot.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2017 at 01:47
this thread reminds me of this movie http://dreamworks.wikia.com/wiki/Rise_of_the_Guardians,  well, Easter Bunny, Santa and Tooth Ferry are all very powerfull and mystifying, but they are non compared to Sandman, hes a powerhouse, and easely the only exept Jack Frost to become a challange for the Boogyman. 

Jack Frost also deservs some love 

Post Reply Post Reply