24 [75.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:49
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

never be a slave to regret Cristi...  that a bane of lesser men... learn an important life's lesson from the Big Mick

revel in your f**k ups..  they build character.. and provide entertainment

I don't see how I fukt up... 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:50
Aw.....that just brought a tear to my eye........

Cristi...my apologies for derailing this erudite discussion of Whitesnake vs ZZ Top.....please carry on and ignore   my silly comments.

:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:54
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

never be a slave to regret Cristi...  that a bane of lesser men... learn an important life's lesson from the Big Mick

revel in your f**k ups..  they build character.. and provide entertainment

I don't see how I fukt up... 

oh goody...  thread completely highjacked into 'Mick's Life Lessons'

f**ked up?   Mick's Life Lesson #2. When the forum sharks are in the water.. don't go sticking your f**king hand in the water hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:54
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Cristi...my apologies for derailing this erudite discussion of Whitesnake vs ZZ Top.....please carry on and ignore   my silly comments.

you don't need to get sarcastic. 
I get it, a discussion about a band like Whitesnake is not worth it, I won't do it again...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:02
oh there was a discussion to be had there Cristi..  but as usual no one ...errrr.. bit on it.  One I've raised twice on the forum and early Whitesnake a prime example of...

I often bemoan the lack of bloodshed and violence on the forum these days.. but hand in hand with that.. is a lack of people thinking about music.  They just enjoy what they enjoy.. which of course there is nothing wrong with that.. but it doesn't lead to stimulating discussion when people either know jack sh*t.. or care little about music. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:20
^What he said..........and I do apologize for derailing the discussion.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 23:32
Nothing sadder than old men who are jealous to Coverdale, because he´s get more pussy than they ever even dreamed of.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 23:49

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

you don't need to get sarcastic. 
I get it, a discussion about a band like Whitesnake is not worth it, I won't do it again...
Of course you can do it again! As you can see in this thread there has been Whitesnake likers, although the most think ZZ Top is better. Here´s that boring old men group who are thinking they have only right opinions about the music. You just don´t have to care about them at all.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 00:45
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Nothing sadder than old men who are jealous to Coverdale, because he´s get more pussy than they ever even dreamed of.

On a prog music forum, I am not quite sure a pussy-meter has ever been used to gauge musical appreciation. If members here were more interested in the sex lives of banal performers, they would have left this forum years ago -- perhaps to a Led Zeppelin forum -- and poor ProgArchives would never be destined to take the place of the mud shark in their mythology.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 00:50

throwing insults does not help the discussion. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 01:28
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

On a prog music forum, I am not quite sure a pussy-meter has ever been used to gauge musical appreciation. If members here were more interested in the sex lives of banal performers, they would have left this forum years ago -- perhaps to a Led Zeppelin forum -- and poor ProgArchives would never be destined to take the place of the mud shark in their mythology.
That´s the only thing that came into my mind about your mates opinions of Whitesnake. That discussion seems to me had nothing to do with the value of music. I am not saying those Whitesnake albums are the greatest piece of music, but they´re decent blues based hard rock albums. Just listened Trouble after long time and I think it runs over Zep In through the outdoor anytime, if counting those albums as hard rock meter. Much more tight playing. Whitesnake was a good continuation of that hard rock tradition Zep and others started. Also, one big reason to be in rockband has always been to get pussy. That also Zep guys did, so if you´re thinking Whitesnake was a parody of itself first moment it started, you can say also that same to the two first albums of Zeppelin. There are really much pussy mourning special the second one.

Can´t you guys see that you have your collective opinions and if somebody´s is against them, you´re coming as group to tear one down (and quite ugly way). I just hate that kind of macho-action and I think it really doesn´t belong into progforum.

But if everybody else´s thinking this is ok, old progmen should have their ugly power in this forum, so go on, I won´t disturb you anymore.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 02:12
Whitesnake has not been influenced only by Led Zeppelin. I disagree that they are just LZ imitators. 
Coverdale blended the sound of Purple's MK3 with the likes of Free for example, as he was more of an admirer of Paul Rodgers than Robert Plant. That's why songs like Trouble, Hole in the Sky, Only My Soul and Help Me Thru the Day, Blindman have that Free bluesy sound. 

Edited by Cristi - March 05 2018 at 02:56
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 02:52
^Agree fully. There is something really soulful in those early Whitesnake albums. And I haven´t said them Zeppelin-imitators, just saying they continue in a good way that hard rock tradition Zeppelin and others started. There was naturally also Free, although they really were much more than just hard rock.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 10:37

I lost what I wrote twice, slow internet, errors and access denied. 

The people that laugh at Whitesanke are those who know only their MTV videos or their 1987 album. 

It's an American perception of Whitesnake.  I see that American perception of Whitesnake equals a British/European perception of Aerosmith.  Whitesnake is underrated and underappreciated band in the USA, while in Europe a thing is totally different - they are beloved. Aerosmith is underrated and underappreciated band in Europe/the UK, while in the USA it's totally a different thing. American rock fans view WS as just another lame-ass poser 80's "hair metal" band not knowing what they've done before the American version of Slide it In. On the other hand Europeans/Brits are absolutely unaware of what Aerosmith has done during the 70's and their perspective of Aerosmith is that they are one lame-ass, poser MTV-era bubblegum rock band who made some awfully cheesy hits, while in the USA they are widely regarded as a domestic rock legends based on the stuff they've done in the 70's. 

Edited by TexasKing - March 05 2018 at 10:38
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 11:14
^Well, in Finland Aerosmith was quite respected I think already in the seventies (their albums were in our home villages "youth club" where my brother played records in the youth evenings). Also I had friends in the end of eighties & begin of nineties who were big Aerosmith fans. But so was Whitesnake.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 11:28

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

But ZZ started making good music again, while Coverdale is simply cashing checks by having his band ride the coattails of their glory days.

not true 

since his glory days, as you say it, Coverdale has been doing a few things

1993 - collaboration with Jimmy Page - Coverdale Page album
1997 - Whitesnake - Restless Heart
2000 - David Coverdale - Into the Light
2008 - Whitesnake - Good to Be Bad
2011 - Whitesnake - Forevermore
2015 - Whitesnake - The Purple Album

I've not been impressed by the newer material. I heard Coverdale-Page and forgot about it.

The band that picked up the torch for me back then was Blue Murder. The first album (Sykes, Franklin, Appice) was everything Whitesnake had stopped doing. They did one more album, and that was that.

Hey, we had Motorhead, right? ;)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 11:34
^ I agree on Blue Murder. 

So may I ask what has ZZTOp done so great since 1992? 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 18:59

Can´t you guys see that you have your collective opinions and if somebody´s is against them, you´re coming as group to tear one down (and quite ugly way). I just hate that kind of macho-action and I think it really doesn´t belong into progforum.

But if everybody else´s thinking this is ok, old progmen should have their ugly power in this forum, so go on, I won´t disturb you anymore.
First of all, this "you guys" thing and "collective opinions" is bullsh*t and not appreciated. Who the hell do you think you are making blanket statements about people you don't even know? Just because several people think Whitesnake is a bourgeois and banal approximation of Led Zeppelin is a fair condemnation of the band and an opinion that is shared by a large population of music listeners.

But please, put up a poll between Led Zeppelin and Whitesnake and see how many posters give a rat's hairy arse for David Coverdale.

As far as sharing of opinions, I don't believe you ever seen Micky and myself having knock down drag out fights over Jethro Tull (I love them and Micky has no musical taste evidently, preferring Italian organ grinders and their scurrilous pet monkeys). In regards to your inane opinions, keep them to music and not to posters.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 22:44

^ I agree on Blue Murder. 

So may I ask what has ZZ Top done so great since 1992? 
ZZ Top, like quite many old bands, haven´t done as great albums after seventies as in seventies. But as a matter of fact their lot greater period as in eighties started 1993. Antenna is quite good album and all the albums after that has been ok bluesrock based albums, Mescalero is my favourite of those. Haven´t heard Coverdales later outputs, so nothing to say about them, but I can believe they´re better than his late eighties doings.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 22:47
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Hey, we had Motorhead, right? ;)
Yes! Motörhead kept on doing good albums til the end!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>