Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs all news media biased...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: ..unless you agree with it?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [42.86%]
7 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [23.81%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:38
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by js (Easy Money) js (Easy Money) wrote:

^^^ Mother Jones should be in that far left column. They have articles like "Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist" and "Eating three meals a day is racist"

They are as frothing at the mouth as Alex Jones is on the far right.

Those aren't real articles, they are just something you made up.
Now where is the bias?

the PBJ probably is but the "Eating three meals a day is racist" isn't:  [www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/03/against-meals-breakfast-lunch-dinnerWacko

The peanut butter article is also real, but it may not have been MJ. It was an example of that type of article in that publication.

Edit: It was Huff post -

HP

A school principal declared the snack favourite potentially racist. Her comments were mocked by bloggers etc, and I think it later went round in right wing news sources that the school was banning the sandwich, which wasn't actually true, as verified by Snopes.
As you and I saw this morning on FB - most of the reaction to articles like this are based on extreme (right or left) loonies reacting to the headline without reading the body of the text. 

Ermm I may just get all my news from the Southend News Network in future (and I do like to support my old home town whenever I can)
What?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 09:09

Originally posted by js (Easy Money) js (Easy Money) wrote:

^^^ Mother Jones should be in that far left column. They have articles like "Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist" and "Eating three meals a day is racist"

They are as frothing at the mouth as Alex Jones is on the far right.

Those aren't real articles, they are just something you made up.
Now where is the bias?

the PBJ probably is but the "Eating three meals a day is racist" isn't:  [www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/03/against-meals-breakfast-lunch-dinnerWacko

The article itself is not near as bad as the title would suggest. The article title is a purposefully inflammatory title, which is unfortunate because the article itself is mostly about nutrition, with a short reference to cultural differences, but I never saw the word 'racist' used in the article.

I'm not sure why they felt the need to give this article such a shallow and misleading title, its a bad choice, probably designed to get people riled up over an article that did not mean to get people riled up.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 09:23
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I don't care. News are the lowest form of entertainment.
So you're the second vote for 'I don't care'Handshake
Knowledge is in facts, the news is just the up-to-date feed of new facts, and if you're going off of a purposefully selected collection of facts to suggest a biased bigger picture that's just unfortunate... You learn at school to take your sources with a grain of salt and leave value judgements seperate from the fact-providers.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 09:33
^ ture Beer
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 10:00

When you know and understand the bias then you can interpret it accordingly.
I'll plagiarize this and post it on Facebook Dean because I want to look smart and also I have people there who actually read idiocy like Addicting Info (someone who reads Breitbart or InfoWars would never be a friend). 

Also I love your signature quote. You finally found the true scientific/political statement that defines an era. Tongue
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 12:40
^Where is TMZ on that thing? That seems to be the news that matters to most of the general public. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 13:47
^That's for celebrity news,not politics.... 

And a celebrity could never become president here.... 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 13:54
were does french news paper Le Monde fit on that scale, and Al Jazera
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 21:54
I voted for always biased, but regret doing so because there is some conflation of impartiality and bias. I think some media outlets are genuinely impartial. This does not mean they are unbiased, even if that bias is an uncontoversial ethos of serving the public good (uncontroversial but sadly not universal). That is still a bias, a bias which they may deserve praise for having. I have no problem with confirmation bias as long as one is capable of accepting when their hypotheses may be falsified and remains knowledgeable about contrary claims.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 08:56
There is no such thing as being unbiased, and anyone who says they are is selling something. Bias takes hold the moment you choose what "news" you are reporting.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 09:05
You're right. For example, neither CNN nor MSNBC aired footage of the Sweden attack or the Bowling Green massacre. The b*****ds manipulators...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 09:44
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

were does french news paper Le Monde fit on that scale
The French have been inventing their own version of the truth for at least 1000 years, they are off the scale but no one knows which way.
What?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 12:14
I think the idea that the news is biased is exaggerated. If one simply reports an event....whatever the event....where's the bias ?
Confused
I can see how the opinion pieces like those from O'Riley and Hannity are biased but not just general reporting.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 12:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think the idea that the news is biased is exaggerated. If one simply reports an event....whatever the event....where's the bias ?
Confused
I can see how the opinion pieces like those from O'Riley and Hannity are biased but not just general reporting.
There's always a bias. Simply choosing what is newsworthy is a bias. The very justifications one uses to arrive the decision of newsworthiness are definitive of a bias. They may be sound, reasonable, uncontroversial and unobjectionable decisions, but they are still the very essence of bias. For instance, covering crime betrays a law and order bias. Covering downtown development projects betrays a commercial and corporate bias. Covering people who are put out of their homes by eminent domain betrays a bias that values the interests of the less advantaged. The representation is necessarily biased. Simply deciding what appears on camera betrays a bias. There is no objective way of representing anything, unless one means to say unslanted or impartial, but this is not to the same as unbiased. Bias isn't necessarily bad. What is bad is when the biases are not openly acknowledged.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:09
Mostly, yes. 
But I dont think biased = bad, and certainly not fake. 
I never once have thought of Fox as fake news, though obviously it's bad, and sources like even Vox while extremely biased, do some good writing. 

But we've now reached the point where 1: anything you dont like is just labeled "fake news" or 2: anything with a sniff of a bias is "bad" and that's just not true. 
Which is just not accurate. Heard a great interview with the lead editor of the NY times, and he explained that while we need to be fair, fact based, honest etc the idea that if there's one iota of bias it = trash is quite unrealistic. He cited reporting on civil rights back in the day and how it used colorful, powerful language (and clearly showing a bias). 
Would you say that pro civil rights coverage is biased fake garbage?

Well to many Americans the answer to that is probably yesCry But you get the point. 
To me the bigger problem with mainstream news are the agendas...that's what I hate, and think is detrimental to society, especially when it comes to favoring candidates and policies etc

I wont even get into Breitbart and the Trumpers, they are so detached from reality and purposely twist everything to fit their camp it's not even worth wasting brain cells on. Just sad that sh*t has trickled up...now mainstream Republicans use "fake news" or say "that's a gotcha question! I wont answer" as ways to worm out of ya know, being asked real questions. That's the problem, they've now made us all have to defend the mainstream media, that many of us don't like, turning all this into more "us vs them" stuff instead of honest critique 

Edited by JJLehto - March 08 2017 at 14:12
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:19

When you know and understand the bias then you can interpret it accordingly.

Saw this float around, whoever made it did a superb job.Very honest, fair and accurate. 
Could debate a few placements but not the intent of course. 
Will just say NPR should be higher, as that can be some pretty complex stuff and the Economist is weird, very socially liberal and all but economically, all articles should start with "We are shills for intl banking"LOL

OH! Also I know "The Hill" has historically been a center right publication, but in recent years I noticed they were quite pro Sanders/less so Clinton and anti Trump and the overall tone of many of their articles have a liberal slant (and that's coming from me). So I guess the madness of current Republicans and politics have shifted them to the left
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:41
I guess that Breitbart is so far right it's off the scale! LOL

Edited by SteveG - March 08 2017 at 14:42
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I guess that Breitbart is so far right it's off the scale! LOL

As it should be! 
That sh*t is where we do get into the realm of legitimate fake news. Any of their stuff that is based on real events takes a kernel of it, and runs with it 1000 miles. Sad that they have become a near mainstream source now. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 15:00
And this is a serious problem. Right wingers get all of their news from these kinds of hacks and have lost touch with reality. It's the only logical explanation for a Trump Presidency, IMHO.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 15:41
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Mostly, yes. 
But I dont think biased = bad, and certainly not fake. 
I never once have thought of Fox as fake news, though obviously it's bad, and sources like even Vox while extremely biased, do some good writing. 

But we've now reached the point where 1: anything you dont like is just labeled "fake news" or 2: anything with a sniff of a bias is "bad" and that's just not true. 
Which is just not accurate. Heard a great interview with the lead editor of the NY times, and he explained that while we need to be fair, fact based, honest etc the idea that if there's one iota of bias it = trash is quite unrealistic. He cited reporting on civil rights back in the day and how it used colorful, powerful language (and clearly showing a bias). 
Would you say that pro civil rights coverage is biased fake garbage?

Well to many Americans the answer to that is probably yesCry But you get the point. 
To me the bigger problem with mainstream news are the agendas...that's what I hate, and think is detrimental to society, especially when it comes to favoring candidates and policies etc

I wont even get into Breitbart and the Trumpers, they are so detached from reality and purposely twist everything to fit their camp it's not even worth wasting brain cells on. Just sad that sh*t has trickled up...now mainstream Republicans use "fake news" or say "that's a gotcha question! I wont answer" as ways to worm out of ya know, being asked real questions. That's the problem, they've now made us all have to defend the mainstream media, that many of us don't like, turning all this into more "us vs them" stuff instead of honest critique 

Nailed it! Excellent post, each and every word.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>