FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPieces disliked by own creators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pieces disliked by own creators
    Posted: March 06 2017 at 09:08
I once read somewhere that the Pink Floyd members (especially Roger Waters) stated in multiple interviews that they wish Atom Heart Mother was not being sold anymore, emphasizing their embarrassment towards their own album and referring to it as 'weird sh*t'. Waters even said:

'I wouldn't dream of performing anything that embarrassed me. If somebody said to me now: "Right...here's a million pounds, go out and play 'Atom Heart Mother'", I'd say: "You must be f*cking joking...I'm not playing that rubbish!". 'Cos then I really would be embarrassed.'
I could not find the original article, but a quick Google search will do the job if you're interested for more details.

Also, I recently read on the DGM website (hence reliable) that Robert Fripp really loathed Lizard. He called it 'unlistenable' and declared:

“Lots of ideas, mostly presented simultaneously and very few of which work,” he wrote. “Various bits are unsure whether to try and make connection with a unified central theme, or maintain their independence. Mostly, the search for a unified central theme escapes satisfaction, and the constituent elements adopt a semblance of neutrality, so as not to attract culpability for their involvement. Labor and laboring, mostly joyless, strive effortfully to present the appearance of cohesion.

“I am unable to recommend that anyone part with their hard-earned pay for this one, unless they want to take it to parties and play it at unwelcome guests,” he concluded. “There are some Lizard lovers, I know. They must be very strange.”

Here's an article with additional interesting details: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/king-crimson-lizard/

What do you guys think? I personally love both albums and I even consider AHM as one of Pink Floyd's best. I do believe Fripp since Lizard is not particularly Crimson (if you know what I mean), but I think it may be a sign of haughtiness and even hypocrisy in the case of Waters.

Can any of you think of any other example of an artist who publicly expresses their distaste for one of their own creations? 

Edited by Larkstongue41 - March 06 2017 at 16:07
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 09:15
My favourite album from both bands, although I wouldn't pay to see Waters play it either. Fripp played some songs from the album recently, maybe he likes it a bit more now.

Edited by Meltdowner - March 06 2017 at 09:26
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 09:32
I remember Steven Wilson really dislikes the `second' Porcupine Tree album `Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape', and from what I recall he's only re-released it once or twice on vinyl in very limited numbers (I got one of the vinyl copies from the 2000 run). It was a lavish double LP, but (typical of Wilson constantly re-writing his own history! ) he replaced the original Prince cover song - The Cross - with his own track `Out', which is essentially a Hawkiwnd imitation piece.

I haven't spun it in years so don't really remember it very well, but I'm sure it compliments `On the Sunday of Life' quite well, with lots of quirky psychedelic moments.

Not sure if he ever did another CD run of it though?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 09:41
^ It's included on the new Delirium Years LP box set, if I'm not mistaken. The latest versions of the albums anyway Wacko
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 09:44
You means those versions that don't exist, right, Sam?

(or shouldn't!)

I'll stick to the programmed drums of `Up the Downstair', thank you very much. Those live drums completely alter the sound of the album.

Actually, apparently `Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape' has been given a more recent CD reissue exclusively from his Headphone Dust store, I wouldn't mind snapping that up.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - March 06 2017 at 09:45
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 09:53
In RUSH.

Lifesand hates TAI SHAN'. Feels it's the worst song the band ever wrote, however I actually quite like it. I would take it over 80% of the songs off test for echo. But hey, opinions are opinions.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 10:08
Dark Side Of The Moon really did set the controls of the band to the heart of their arse.
Not just AHM, the beautiful guitar parts of The Narrow Way got equally short shrift.
Basically I feel the band really think if it didn't get to number one then it's worthless.
Which is funny because The Wall in the UK only peaked at #3.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 10:17
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I remember Steven Wilson really dislikes the `second' Porcupine Tree album `Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape', and from what I recall he's only re-released it once or twice on vinyl in very limited numbers (I got one of the vinyl copies from the 2000 run). It was a lavish double LP, but (typical of Wilson constantly re-writing his own history! ) he replaced the original Prince cover song - The Cross - with his own track `Out', which is essentially a Hawkiwnd imitation piece.

I haven't spun it in years so don't really remember it very well, but I'm sure it compliments `On the Sunday of Life' quite well, with lots of quirky psychedelic moments.

Not sure if he ever did another CD run of it though?
Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape isn't regarded as canonical PT studio album but a compilation album drawn from his three demo tapes that weren't included on On the Sunday of Life. According to wikipedia it was released on CD in 1994 and again in 2013 - with the latter being self-released by SWilson on his personal Headphone Dust label (which suggests he's not that embarrassed by it) - notable here is it is the only PT album he's released on Headphone Dust. 

If memory serves me correctly SWilson initially handed over all rights to his early PT recordings to Delerium in gratitude for them supporting him and created a Snapper imprint label KScope for all subsequent PT releases (from Stupid Dream onwards), therefore he had no control over any reissues of those early albums. Unfortunately Delerium didn't seem to have the wherewithal to capitalise on PTs later success so never reissued those albums apart from the Stars Die compilation in 2002. The Delerium PT back-catalogue was acquired by Snapper in 2006 and they embarked on re-release schedule that included all the official studio albums but not this "compilation" (those were re-worked again as "The Delerium Years" box set).

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 10:26
Yeah, I wonder if he's eased up on it a bit, Dean? I was actually really surprised to find it readily available right now on CD from the Headphone Dust website.

Ha, and I'm pretty sure ANOTHER edition of both `Stars Die' and `Signify' are being offered for pre-order in the most recent Burning Shed newsletter that just arrived this morning!
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 10:40
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

I once read somewhere that the Pink Floyd members (especially Roger Waters) stated in multiple interviews that they would wish Atom Heart Mother was not being sold anymore, emphasizing their embarrassment towards their own album and referring to it as 'weird sh*t'. Waters even said:

'I wouldn't dream of performing anything that embarrassed me. If somebody said to me now: "Right...here's a million pounds, go out and play 'Atom Heart Mother'", I'd say: "You must be f*cking joking...I'm not playing that rubbish!". 'Cos then I really would be embarrassed.'
I could not find the original article, but a quick Google search will do the job if you're interested formore details.

1. If they really wish Atom Heart Mother wasn't being sold anymore, then I wish everything they did from The Final Cut onwards wouldn't be sold either. LOL

2. For all their talk about how much they dislike the piece, I've rarely seen anything about them deconstructing it. The closest I can find is Nick Mason in his memoirs saying that EMI wouldn't let them splice multiple takes, leading to problems with the tempo.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - March 06 2017 at 10:45
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 10:55
Holger Czukay (and maybe others in Can) dislike Future Days. The two main members of Kraftwerk hate the band's first three albums.
Magma America Great Make Again
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 10:57
It's so frustrating that they dismiss `Atom Heart Mother' so much...Every Floyd album up from that 1968 onwards period was so dominated by experimentation, and an experiment is exactly what AHM was. Regardless of how much actual depth there was to it, it was still a fascinating creative artistic success!

Sh*t, I have massive fond memories of the AHM album, doing work experience in my Dad's office when I was a teenager at his shipping job, putting corporate calanders into postage tubes.. I had a crappy old tape-player at my desk and putrid copies of just `Animals' and `Atom Heart Mother', and I played them to death that week, totally overdosed on them. I vividly recall the tape cover of `AHM' had this filthy disgusting stain all over it...which did NOT come from me, despite my above claims of how much I loved the album...

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - March 06 2017 at 10:58
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 11:17
Everyone but Anderson (who loves everything) hated Union. And try to find a kind word from Wakeman regrding TFTO.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 11:19

It's so frustrating that they dismiss `Atom Heart Mother' so much...Every Floyd album up from that 1968 onwards period was so dominated by experimentation, and an experiment is exactly what AHM was. Regardless of how much actual depth there was to it, it was still a fascinating creative artistic success!

Sh*t, I have massive fond memories of the AHM album, doing work experience in my Dad's office when I was a teenager at his shipping job, putting corporate calanders into postage tubes.. I had a crappy old tape-player at my desk and putrid copies of just `Animals' and `Atom Heart Mother', and I played them to death that week, totally overdosed on them. I vividly recall the tape cover of `AHM' had this filthy disgusting stain all over it...which did NOT come from me, despite my above claims of how much I loved the album...

Don't take it to heart, it's my favorite Floyd album too. We all know David would rather sing A great day for freedom and Roger would rather tour The Wall  than acknowledge how much greater they could have been as a band. 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 11:27

I really think musicians lose the right to say if they think stuff is good or bad once they are released to the public! We decide, and we can hear things they clearly can't!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 11:30
Either that, or in Floyd's own words, it's us who've been `mad for f*cking years'!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 11:35
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I really think musicians lose the right to say if they think stuff is good or bad once they are released to the public! We decide, and we can hear things they clearly can't!

Do you lose the right to be critical of your own past work? In the grander scheme of things, little progress and innovation would happen if you were denied reflection and dissatisfaction with our own status-quo. Regardless of however masterful others consider our work.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 11:36
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Everyone but Anderson (who loves everything) hated Union. And try to find a kind word from Wakeman regrding TFTO.
Wakeman and TFTO was the first one to come to mind for me.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 13:37
Gilmour actually did play AHM with Ron Geesin a few years ago, so he can't be too adverse towards it.
If we are to believe Geesin, Waters hates it because he didn't have much to do with it, other than playing the bass. It was Gilmour's tune and Geesins arrangement.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 14:23
Heartbreaker, heartbreaker, heart..With a purple umbrella and a fifty cent hat.

Living Loving Maid was so despised by Jimmy Page that he refused to include it on the first remastered Zeppelin boxed set and multi platinum selling CD Led Zeppelin Remasters, both released in 1990, even though he knew that Heartbreaker segued immediately into Living Loving Maid on Led Zep 2, and was for all intents and purposes, permanently fused to each other. Living Loving Maid was later included on the second Zep box set released in 1993, begrudgingly by Page. Typical Jimmy.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>