Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPieces disliked by own creators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 15:37
I recall a conversation between Ian Anderson and Martin Barre, where I A expresses his regrets regarding his first solo album "Walk Into Light", saying that he wished he would have done what was expected from him (Acoustic guitars and flutes), instead of trying something different.
surrogate people View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 19:41
When I Was young i used to like AHM now Im not so sure,I wouldn't say is awful but definitely not among PF's best. As for lizard, I still think is one of Crimson's best works but then I actually am a strange person, unlike Fripp himself.
As Peter Hamill once wrote "No one can ever know what of their own's their very best". I wonder whatever would Robert have said?
Surrogate People they walk on by, they walk on by
When they replace you
They live your life, they live your life
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 21:23
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Gilmour actually did play AHM with Ron Geesin a few years ago, so he can't be too adverse towards it.
If we are to believe Geesin, Waters hates it because he didn't have much to do with it, other than playing the bass. It was Gilmour's tune and Geesins arrangement.

I remember when the news came from that performance with Gilmour. It was a studendts orchestra if I remember correctly, and a Pink Floyd tribute band. I think it was performed 2 nights... Gilmour was invited, I guess by Ron Geesin himself, and he was suposed to perform on both nights... but then he just said he couldn't do the second night and wouldn't give much reasons. I was left with the impression that it was because of his own dislike of the piece (which I remember reading both from himself and Waters). I also remember something about Tchaikovski disliking The Nutcracker, and Ravel disliking Bolero (I think there was something about him writing it only as an excercise or something).
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 23:17
Music is like any other art form. Once the musician puts it out into the public domain, he loses control of it, other than the copyright loyalties owing to him. It's just as valid for one person to call something a piece of crap, just as someone else calls the same piece of work a masterpiece. At some other point of time the person who called the piece of work a masterpiece has changed his mind and now calls it a piece of crap, while the other person who thought it was a piece of crap, now calls it a masterpiece. It's what separates us from the animals in the way we value art (while animals just care about their next food source). In my opinion it's better for the artist to create and not let his/her opinion influence the public's opinion of his/her work. FWIW I've always liked AHM, Lizard and TOTO and while I'm interested in what Waters/ Fripp/ Wakeman have to say about these albums, they do not influence my enjoyment of these works.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 01:17
Artists not liking their own work is normal, it drives them to do better.
What?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 04:02
Colosseum Live has been referred to as "the album the fans loved, but the band hated." Don't know why, it is their best record.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 04:23
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Everyone but Anderson (who loves everything) hated Union. And try to find a kind word from Wakeman regrding TFTO.
I like "Onion" but I have to admit that Rick is not totally wrong. I can understand why he disliks TFTO, too. But I'd disagree with him in that case.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 04:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Very true. Clap
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 04:37

Everyone but Anderson (who loves everything) hated Union. And try to find a kind word from Wakeman regrding TFTO.
Did he actually have anything to do with writing it though?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 05:37
Musicians don't have an exclusive right to interpret their own music. It's all fine that Roger Waters doesn't like AHM anymore, but this shouldn't take away anything from others' enjoyment of the album. It may be a psychological thing, Waters may associate with some trouble that he had at the time or some parts of his former personality that he don't like anymore and he wants to leave in the past, but that's really his problem and nobody else's.

As for more examples, Can more or less officially "disowned" their Out Of Reach-album. It seems nobody loses much sleep about this, though. You don't find people who think this is essential in their catalogue.

Edited by Lewian - March 07 2017 at 05:38
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 06:40
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Did he actually have anything to do with writing it though?
Apart from writing most the keyboard parts you mean? His main role, and unmissable strength, within Yes was in stitching together all the disjointed melodies written by Howe & Anderson (and Squire & White) to form coherent pieces of music and in writing the passages of modulations and segues that made that happen. While Anderson and Howe take most of credit for creating the various melodies, it was Wakeman's knowledge of composition and arrangement that made each one work together. How he does that is masterful, though it does tend to leave a very unmistakable Wakeman-signature on every note he plays. While we regard each of the four "movements" as single pieces of music, they aren't - each one is a collage of separate melodies - IMO no one in Yes (Wakeman aside) was really capable of writing a sustained and continuous 20 minute piece of music, and it's no accident that later 20+ minute epics, either on Yes or solo albums, are as rare as rocking horse poop - all Yes epics are musical collages of disparate bits. [just listen to The Ancient if you're unsure of that - for example what those few bars of ukulele are is doing there is anyone's guess - while that is probably the least "Wakeman" track what little fluidity it has is attributable to Wakeman]. TFTO without Wakeman's input would be dreadful, as would Relayer without Moraz.
What?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:07
I remember one or more members of Renaissance (Camp?) being quite negative on Camera Camera. Many fans would agree but not me!

Edited by Lewian - March 07 2017 at 08:08
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:42
Hi,

We're waiting for Stravinsky to tell us that The Rite of Spring, is crap.

AND

We're waiting for Beethoven to tell us that he hates his 9th, and it was a mess and not his!

OR

We will be waiting forever for Mozart to tell us that he learned about music in the bars, while drunk!

... back to our normal programming! ...

Quote Holger Czukay (and maybe others in Can) dislike Future Days.

In a letter that I have somewhere, Holger specified that he did not care for his first two solo albums a whole lot. I think it was mostly because they were so crazy and fun, and did not have the total free form of playing that he wanted. Who knows.

Quote The two main members of Kraftwerk hate the band's first three albums.

Like NEU and some of the others in those days, when you listen to these they have some wonderful textures, but "musicians" love to tear these things down, and say ... he spent 5 minutes turning that knob to make it sound like music!

I guess there is a feeling somewhere, but since we are too damn mechanical, we can't find it on the fingers?

Quote Rober Fripp - Lizard

At least he was honest and specified why he thought it was not a good album ... the nature of it was not cohesive in its design and conception. Maybe the proper title should have been "Cameleon"

Quote Roger Waters - ATM

RW likes to say those kinds of things when the interviews are boring him silly. And specially to progressive folks, that honor a part of his life that he was broke and could not even buy a house, or get his favorite sports car, and another girl for the garage!

Quote Rick Wakeman - TFTO

Like it or not, he was one of the composers and his giving to the piece was excellent, and even when Transatlantic played Part 1, it stood out ... but in the end, RW is just a street kid that made it big with a little education, and he thinks his opinions are better than what we all say because he was a part of it. 

I once told him, that he just likes the academic stories, not the newly created orations and stories for a piece of music, and that is why he rehashes all the ... bombs out there!

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Yes, No and Maybe. What drives me better, or you (I think) is that little something that you hear in your dream and while you are driving sucking a smoke, or sitting in the beach and ignoring the sea ... and you want to put that together.

Better is an illusion, and an idea, and has very little to do with anything else, other than the counting of how many scales and chords you know now, when in the old days, you only knew 3 and it STILL helped you put together a piece of music. 

I think that we lose out to the "experience", the childish-ness that goes with wanting to do something ... and now we don't do something ... we compose it!

Sometimes I think we have lost our minds in the whole thing ... reminds me of the Rivette film "La Belle Noiseusse", because it was 4 hours long and people walked out, and could not appreciate a SINGLE STROKE of the paint on the canvas, right in front of you ... and how it felt and how it splashed your imagination.

We've lost the ability to appreciate things, and history, to commerciality, and we continually perpetuate the mechanical, instead of the person.

Dean, your work is as good today, as it was yesterday! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 09:01
I remember reading that Ritchie Blackmore refused to play When a Blind Man Cries and Pictures of Home live. Deep Purple played When a Blind Man Cries with Randy California when Blackmore was ill during a concert. Both songs were added to the setlist after Steve Morse joined the band.

I don't understand why Blackmore disliked them, as I see them both as solid songs and much better than a lot of post-Mark II material (including Mark II reunions).

Edited by Replayer - March 07 2017 at 09:01
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 09:01
Phil, I believe, was once said not to have enjoyed performing (drumming) on 'Battle of Epping Forest due to its changing time signatures.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 09:16
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Phil, I believe, was once said not to have enjoyed performing (drumming) on 'Battle of Epping Forest due to its changing time signatures.
In an interview for a TV documentary Collins said he didn't like drumming in unusual time signatures at the best of times and was constantly urging Rutherford to put the missing beat back into the crazy rhythms he was coming up with.
What?
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 09:24
Marillion and Fish see Grendel as an old shame and have refused to perform it live since the mid 80s. Original drummer Mick Pointer still likes it and performed it on solo tours. After saying for years that he would never sing Grendel again, Fish surprised his fans and performed it once or twice in 2012.

Edited by Replayer - March 07 2017 at 09:25
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 12:11
A Clannad member once apologized to the fans for the album 'Sirius'!

Yeah, apologized.

Don't worry, dude, I quite like the album.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 15:37
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 20:51
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I remember one or more members of Renaissance (Camp?) being quite negative on Camera Camera. Many fans would agree but not me!

I may be wrong on this, but wasn't the band pressured to have Tout sacked so they could include 80's type synthesisers on Camera Camera. That would be reason alone to hate this album.

Edited by iluvmarillion - March 07 2017 at 21:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>