FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMusic as Art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music as Art
    Posted: March 07 2017 at 16:24
I would like to ask your opinion and views about "Music as art." This may be focused in areas of progressive rock, which I love, but also general and overarching views would be appreciated. Thank you.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 18:13
Not sure what you want--  music is art; that is, a man-made creation developed or derived from the audible vibrations caused by striking natural objects in a certain way.

If you mean you want opinions on Art-rock and by extension progressive rock, I think the existence of this place is a good indication that peoples loves them some fancy-ass rock 'n roll, Lucien.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 19:27
I prefer art as music. I don't wanna see that bitch Mona Lisa. I only wanna sing her accompanied by accordian solos

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 19:39
In every culture there is science and there is art. Music, as an expression, voice of the people, is and art that expresses feelings, longings, frustrations, etc, of the people who create it, according to the era/place they live. 
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 20:07
Is this a trick question? Embarrassed

Nobody in their right mind would ask if music is art, that's a prerequisite. Music and art are also not indicators of quality, just to get that out of the way
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 20:19
Only art music is art, otherwise it would just be called music and popular music wouldn't even be music.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 20:47
Urinating with precision and elegance HAS to be the highest expression of artistic value i have EVER come accross. Especially when it's on the neighbor's mail

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 21:04
Zappa once said something to the effect that art is anything you can put a frame around, not simply a literal frame, but anything that sets the boundaries that define it. A theatrical performance, for instance, has a time when it begins and point at which it ends. Artists are sometimes conventional in their use of frames, and sometimes more innovative. Some frames may be practical and trivial, or sometimes the same frame may be regarded as more meaningful. Jazz artists traditionally looked at album recordings as simply as a secondary momento of a live event, which was the primary artistic representation. Rock artists, especially Prog musicians, regarded the recorded album as their primary artistic representation.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 06:31
"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it"  ...yet another pearl of Zappa wisdom
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 07:38
Well, Carl Palmer literally makes art with his music.
But as stated, making anything out of nothing is a good description of art. That includes cooking by the way !

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 10:42
Originally posted by TaipeiMoon TaipeiMoon wrote:

I would like to ask your opinion and views about "Music as art."
Allow me to impart a few words of wisdom.

Let M be the set of all music.
Let A be the set of all art.

We have the following relationship: M A, which means M is a subset of A.
In other words, for every element e in set M, e is also an element of A.
This is expressed in set notation as:

eM, eA

This can also be written as an implication

eM eA

That is, if e is an element of M, then e is an element of A.

However, the converse of this statement is not true. The converse is

eA eM

That is, if e is an element of A, then e is an element of M.

This can easily be disproven by contradiction, since we can find elements of the set A, such as a painting, sculpture, or poem that is an element of A, but not of M. This means that the statement A M is not true.

Thus, although every element of M is also an element of A, not every element of A is also an element of M.

This means M is not equal to A and that M is a proper subset of A, which is expressed as

MA

This is the relationship between music and art. I hope this addresses your concern.

Also, using the same type of argument, it can be shown that PM , where P is the set of progressive music. This in turn implies that PA.

Edited by Replayer - March 08 2017 at 10:49
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 11:02
The OP has created a classic Adams-esque inquiry.

The answer is 42. But what, exactly, is the question? 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:36
Howard Johnson: Y'know, Nietzsche says: "Out of music comes art."
Olson Johnson: Oh, blow it out your ... , Howard.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:42
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

The OP has created a classic Adams-esque inquiry.

The answer is 42. But what, exactly, is the question? 
Since we're discussing the artistic value of music, where did you get the animated gif in your signature?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:44
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it"  ...yet another pearl of Zappa wisdom
This from a guy that thought that fart noises were music. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:49
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

In every culture there is science and there is art. Music, as an expression, voice of the people, is and art that expresses feelings, longings, frustrations, etc, of the people who create it, according to the era/place they live. 

you win the thread with that post... nice! Clap

music can be art... but it is more than that. It is about expression... be it with deep meaning like the downfall of society or something more mundane like how that red head rocked your world last night.  Most people, myself included really aren't into the music as art kind of thing, where music strikes us is emotionally.. not intellectually.  Prog when best hits the heart and soul.. and when at its worse... forgets the heart and soul and aims only for the brain. f**k that sh*t... feeding the brain is for book. Real writers.. not some dumb ass muso posing as an intellectual
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 18:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

you win the thread with that post... nice! Clap

music can be art... but it is more than that. It is about expression... be it with deep meaning like the downfall of society or something more mundane like how that red head rocked your world last night.  Most people, myself included really aren't into the music as art kind of thing, where music strikes us is emotionally.. not intellectually.  Prog when best hits the heart and soul.. and when at its worse... forgets the heart and soul and aims only for the brain. f**k that sh*t... feeding the brain is for book. Real writers.. not some dumb ass muso posing as an intellectual
It sounds like you don't like Gentle Giant anymore.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 18:44
For me, music as art has as it's ultimate expression in The Symphony. And in that world, the symphonies of Mahler and Bruckner especially. That's my slant on it , anyway.....
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 07:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I wouldn't have thought of art in general as intellectual (and not emotional) in the first place.
There are overintellectual paintings, literature etc. as well, and also there I need some connection to heart & soul.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 10:50
I find it difficult to say that something is "art", and that something else is not. 

In general, for me, all EXPRESSION is a form of art or another. My main concern, is that rock music, because of commerciality, has to have LYRICS to tell you what it is about, and sometimes this is not a good idea. There are times, when the visual/sonic representation of it all is more important, and speaks a lot more, than any words that you could possibly put to it, but it is an "art form" to place the right words, in some music, and it becomes something that we all relate to and have appreciated for hundreds of years.

There is, a HUGE PROBLEM, here. And that is that a piece's fame, is usually tied to the memory of a moment, and people start identifying that piece of music or artistic work as representative of a particular event ... and this is one of the worst parts of the definitions of "progressive music" that must have keyboards as an example, and it takes away far more progressive and original other styles of music, that do not have keyboards and don't need it, since something else ... is of a much greater value and importance in its livelihood.

Things like "Reynardine" as done by Fairport Convention (Liege and Lief album), are very much "art" in that it's quality of the words, are so strong by the singing, as it is by the guitar representation ... and it's only both Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny ... no keyboards, bass or drums, and thus ... will never be considered "progressive" and neither will it be appreciated for such an amazing original content ... that most folks can't even listen to it ... or like RW would say ... one note played too long ... like it means nothing, Rick? 

In general, there is a feeling there, or it would not be there! And that is something that has a tendency to "define" art, and its ability to be appreciated and remembered.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>