Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 09:07
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

The "Overrated" title seems a bit radical to me, since most people don't even have a clue on how to play an instrument, what to speak of writing a song, and yet, decide that somebody's music is good or bad, pretentious or overrated etc, based on our personal taste and opinions, which are as faulty, if not more, than the people who wrote the music we criticize.

Based on personal taste you have every right to criticise an album if you don't like it. What you don't have any right to do, particularly if you don't play a musical instrument, is to criticise the artist's playing of their instrument. Based on the list I don't happen to like Egg or Riverside, based on my own personal taste, but I'm open minded enough to listen to their next albums and change my mind if the music suddenly appeals to me.

Yes, if you like or don't like something, you can express it in every way you want, that is a given, but to go to the extreme and give the "overrated" title just because you don't like it, that is a little too far, at least on my book. It's line if you don't like an album, but if you don't know how to write music or even play an instrument, it's like judging a piece or architecture, or literature, or even a painting, without knowing what it takes to create it.That applies to every aspect of life, and unfortunately, it happens more often than not.

I don't agree. I dislike REM. Extremely dislike their music. To me, they are the epitome of overrated. 

There is plenty of art that I think is overrated and I would still think it's overrated even if I knew what went into making it. 

Let's say I hated Fripp's guitar playing, I don't but let's just say that I did. I don't play but if I learned how and then studied his work, I might still come to the same opinion. If something is aesthetically unpleasing to me, simply knowing the work that went into it isn't suddenly going to make me like it. I may very well come away respecting the artist more but liking it? I don't think so. It's still overrated to me. I can respect the artist while not respecting the art.

You go down a dangerous road by basically saying to people, "You can't criticize if you aren't an artist." I've heard the same thing from sports figures who say to the effect, if you've never played, you can't know what it's like to (insert sports activity here). Most of us will never know how hard it can be to play professional sports. I guess we can fire all the beat reporters and the sports columnists. Where does it end? Can we not criticize politicians if we aren't a politician ourselves? 

I might even like the art but still find it overrated. There are plenty of musicians that I can say I like but I still find them overrated. Aerosmith is one.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 09:14
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

The "Overrated" title seems a bit radical to me, since most people don't even have a clue on how to play an instrument, what to speak of writing a song, and yet, decide that somebody's music is good or bad, pretentious or overrated etc, based on our personal taste and opinions, which are as faulty, if not more, than the people who wrote the music we criticize.

Based on personal taste you have every right to criticise an album if you don't like it. What you don't have any right to do, particularly if you don't play a musical instrument, is to criticise the artist's playing of their instrument. Based on the list I don't happen to like Egg or Riverside, based on my own personal taste, but I'm open minded enough to listen to their next albums and change my mind if the music suddenly appeals to me.

Yes, if you like or don't like something, you can express it in every way you want, that is a given, but to go to the extreme and give the "overrated" title just because you don't like it, that is a little too far, at least on my book. It's line if you don't like an album, but if you don't know how to write music or even play an instrument, it's like judging a piece or architecture, or literature, or even a painting, without knowing what it takes to create it.That applies to every aspect of life, and unfortunately, it happens more often than not.

I don't agree. I dislike REM. Extremely dislike their music. To me, they are the epitome of overrated. 

There is plenty of art that I think is overrated and I would still think it's overrated even if I knew what went into making it. 

Let's say I hated Fripp's guitar playing, I don't but let's just say that I did. I don't play but if I learned how and then studied his work, I might still come to the same opinion. If something is aesthetically unpleasing to me, simply knowing the work that went into it isn't suddenly going to make me like it. I may very well come away respecting the artist more but liking it? I don't think so. It's still overrated to me. I can respect the artist while not respecting the art.

You go down a dangerous road by basically saying to people, "You can't criticize if you aren't an artist." I've heard the same thing from sports figures who say to the effect, if you've never played, you can't know what it's like to (insert sports activity here). Most of us will never know how hard it can be to play professional sports. I guess we can fire all the beat reporters and the sports columnists. Where does it end? Can we not criticize politicians if we aren't a politician ourselves? 

I might even like the art but still find it overrated. There are plenty of musicians that I can say I like but I still find them overrated. Aerosmith is one.
OK. I guess we have some very different views, and I respect the way you think and feel about it. I never meant to say that you should like something just because of the amount of work that went into creating it. If you don't like it, well, you don't, and that's perfectly fine. I just think that saying is overrated based on your taste is a little bit harsh, considering that many other have rated it very highly, but without the diversity of opinions, the world would not be what it is.
Again, I mean no disrespect to you, or your opinions.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 09:48

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

OK. I guess we have some very different views, and I respect the way you think and feel about it. I never meant to say that you should like something just because of the amount of work that went into creating it. If you don't like it, well, you don't, and that's perfectly fine. I just think that saying is overrated based on your taste is a little bit harsh, considering that many other have rated it very highly, but without the diversity of opinions, the world would not be what it is.
Again, I mean no disrespect to you, or your opinions.

And certainly no disrespect to you or your opinions. I tend to get a little fired up at times and that comes across in my posting. 

For me, "overrated" is just an opinion. There's nothing inherently wrong with saying it as it's really not different than any other opinionated statement. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 12:16
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Dismissing this may be dismissing the greatest thing ever. I will go on record as a staunch believer that everybody should be required to hear this at least once in their lives. 
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 21:53
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Dismissing this may be dismissing the greatest thing ever. I will go on record as a staunch believer that everybody should be required to hear this at least once in their lives. 

I didn't mean to imply Portsmouth Sinfonia's recordings had no artistic merit; sorry if it came across that way. It was interesting that the musicians were still able to perform the music as recognizable classical compositions. I just wanted to make the point that a non-musician can use his existing knowledge of classical music and harmony to make an objective assessment that the orchestra is playing off key.

From the Wikipedia page: "Bryars was interested more in experimenting with the nature of music than forming a traditional orchestra. Instead of picking the most competent musicians he could find, he encouraged anyone to join, regardless of talent, ability and experience. The only rules were that everyone had to come for rehearsals and that people should try their best to get it right and not intentionally try to play badly."

Here's another piece you may enjoy. It gives me the impression that the orchestra is playing drunk.

Here is the Sinfonia's "Classical Muddly", containing famous snippets set to a poorly synchronized disco beat.

Finally, here is the The Sinfonia's own interpretation of The Shadows' Apache. I love how the conductor is standing behind the band. Enjoy Wink

The musicians were actually improving their playing, which is probably one of the reasons why the Sinfonia disbanded.

Tommy Seebach's version is probably worse LOL

Edited by Replayer - March 13 2017 at 21:59
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 11:17

I heard it.

Still have a headache. 

This one is accurate

Later that year, a scheduled concert for the inmates of Wandsworth Prison faced opposition from the Howard League for Penal Reform on the grounds that it constituted a form of ‘cruel and unusual punishment’. 

I fully agree.

I believe it's a crime to play that bad and dare to record it.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 14 2017 at 11:29

Mesman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 06:20
Lol, you basically named the two only overrated elp songs as their only decent songs.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 07:32
hmmmm... ahhhhh

Overrated

o·ver·rate
ˌōvərˈrāt/< ="" height="14" width="14">
noun
past tense: overrated; past participle: overrated
letting your homoerotic fanboyism take hold of your brain and your ears
"dismissing the work as pompous and overrated"

synonyms:overestimate, overvalue, think too much of, attach too much importance to, praise too highly
"I think Neal Peart is a GOD"
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 12:17
Don't really relate to the term "overrated". There are well liked prog bands that don't float my boat, like Can, Neu!, or Trace, but that's just my perspective; others may find them to be excellent. To each his own, and one person's food is another person's poison. If everybody felt the same way about things, it would be a pretty boring world.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 14:32

I didn't mean to imply Portsmouth Sinfonia's recordings had no artistic merit; sorry if it came across that way...

The musicians were actually improving their playing, which is probably one of the reasons why the Sinfonia disbanded.

Tommy Seebach's version is probably worse LOL

Oh no no...I was not implying any implication on your part. Merely expressing my own amusement. 

And the Apache video...omg, if there are 2 things I have ever wanted in life its a harp made out of a scantily clad woman and to hide a lit bundle of carrots in a 3 ring binder.LOL
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 14:51
I keep seeing the whole "pretentious" thing coming up over and over again. This always kind of bugged when I would see critics writing about prog bands and I'm kind of surprised to see it here. A hand full of people learned to play their instruments at an extremely high level (Wakeman, Emerson , Squire, Fripp, Howe, Peart, Collins, Portnoy to name a few) and when they actually utilize those skills on an album they get criticized for it. It's almost like saying it's OK for you to be able to play great as long as you never actually do it. Never made sense to me.  Now I get that some stuff can be a little over the top sometimes and drag out for too long but at least give people credit for trying to push the envelope.

Edited by Argo2112 - June 27 2017 at 14:58
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 22:12
For me the most over rated prog band is probably Starcastle. I think they are second rate Yes clones at best. Still, I don't hate them but compared to Yes they are rather boring. 
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 22:22
Spinal Tap is absolutely overrated, have you heard their album "Shark Sandwich", lol it's more like **** Sandwich
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 22:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

For me the most over rated prog band is probably Starcastle. I think they are second rate Yes clones at best. Still, I don't hate them but compared to Yes they are rather boring. 

I think it's funny that every time I heard Starcastle's name mentioned (I'm not familiar with their music yet), it was in the same sentence as "Yes clone", "Yes lite" or "Yes copyists". Thus, from my perspective, their music is universally labeled as derivative.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 05:01
I am with a few on this thread - who realise that Gentle Giant, VDGG and King Crimson are truly extremely important bands in the prog pantheon, but I don't particularly rave over any of their output, but I still can't say that any are 'Overrated'.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 05:28
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I keep seeing the whole "pretentious" thing coming up over and over again. This always kind of bugged when I would see critics writing about prog bands and I'm kind of surprised to see it here. A hand full of people learned to play their instruments at an extremely high level (Wakeman, Emerson , Squire, Fripp, Howe, Peart, Collins, Portnoy to name a few) and when they actually utilize those skills on an album they get criticized for it. It's almost like saying it's OK for you to be able to play great as long as you never actually do it. Never made sense to me.  Now I get that some stuff can be a little over the top sometimes and drag out for too long but at least give people credit for trying to push the envelope.

I don't think the 'pretentious' tag is applied to prog musicians by non prog commentators, because of their musical ability, it's more because of the subject matter of the songs, and the structure of the music.

People who 'don't get' prog, fail to understand why a rock musician would want to try and break rock conventions and rules, by using odd time signatures and unusual song structures. That's what they see as pretentious; IE, the musicians are 'pretending' to be something above and beyond 'rock' musicians.

As I've said before though, rock music without some pretentiousness is pretty boring, and plenty of non prog acts, past and present, who are deemed cool and showered with endless adoration and respect by the mainstream, are utterly pretentious anyway. The likes of U2 springs to mind.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 07:05
^ have to agree with most of that and it's interesting that no-one really gave Kyle Smith any credit for making exactly the same valid point in his (otherwise wretched) article:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111334&PID=5468474#5468474

Without a little pretension it's unlikely we would have ever gotten past Merseybeat

Any popular music artist (which includes EVERYONE listed on this site) who believes they are substantially more than 'entertainers' bankrolled by their fans, is probably deserving of the odd 'pretentious' barb now and again.Wink

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 28 2017 at 07:14
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 13:15
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I don't think the 'pretentious' tag is applied to prog musicians by non prog commentators, because of their musical ability, it's more because of the subject matter of the songs, and the structure of the music.

People who 'don't get' prog, fail to understand why a rock musician would want to try and break rock conventions and rules, by using odd time signatures and unusual song structures. That's what they see as pretentious; IE, the musicians are 'pretending' to be something above and beyond 'rock' musicians.

As I've said before though, rock music without some pretentiousness is pretty boring, and plenty of non prog acts, past and present, who are deemed cool and showered with endless adoration and respect by the mainstream, are utterly pretentious anyway. The likes of U2 springs to mind.

You're probably right about that. It just seems like some people/ critics get annoyed when someone dares to play more the three chords or writes something in a time signature other that 4/4.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 15:06
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Originally posted by Chilltoss Chilltoss wrote:

Perhaps ELP. They do have their moments with songs like "Lucky Man" or "The Sheriff", however the rest of their work is filled with pretentious, self-indulgent, and bombastic noodling(half the bands on your list are probably similar in this regard, but I've yet to listen to them and don't plan to). Look no further than Karn Evil 9. ab-so-lute rub-bish   

Harsh - you sound like a punk journalist from the late 70s
Yes, it's puzzling (in'nent it?).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 05:15
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Originally posted by Chilltoss Chilltoss wrote:

Perhaps ELP. They do have their moments with songs like "Lucky Man" or "The Sheriff", however the rest of their work is filled with pretentious, self-indulgent, and bombastic noodling(half the bands on your list are probably similar in this regard, but I've yet to listen to them and don't plan to). Look no further than Karn Evil 9. ab-so-lute rub-bish   

Harsh - you sound like a punk journalist from the late 70s
Yes, it's puzzling (in'nent it?).
KE9 (1st Impression) = BEST THING THAT ELP ever did!!! (by a long way as well!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>