Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Official 'review our music' forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEpisodic Rock Opera (1/4)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Episodic Rock Opera (1/4)
    Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:08
Hi, my name is Rodrigo San Martín and I'm a prog rock musician from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I've released seven albums in the last seven years (some with prog rock groups, but the majority as a solo artist)
and I want to share my latest project with the community.

I've made a rock opera called The Veil is Broken, which tells the story of the rise and fall of a progressive rock musician in the 70s/80's. To avoid overwhelming the listeners I've been releasing it in four segments which represent different important stages of Robin's (our protagonist) life.

The first one I released (back in March 2016) is called The Veil is Broken I: Childhood, and narrates the early struggles of young Robin, which will leave a huge mark on his future self.

I've had the pleasure of counting with many guests on the recording of the album: four top notch singers (Craig Kerley, Charlie Giardina, Canela Sol and Osvaldo Mellace) that carry the story forward with their perfomance, as well as world class instrumentalists as Mike Buenaventura Lima on drums and Fernando Refay on keyboards. 

What's different about this album over thousands of fantastic albums that overpopulate the music scene this days is it's format: Old Robin has lost it's mind due to a life of trauma and excess so he can't really find an order to his own life, he's lost in he's fantasies and can't really diferentitate what really happenes and what he imagined, and the composition of the albums reflects just that.

The full album (the actual four parts combined) has no track order, and it was composed so that any track fades into ANY track of the 22 tracks that comprise it. It's meant to be played in random (or shuffle or whatever we call it these days), LIKE A 2 HOUR CONTINUOS TRACK THAT CHANGES COMPLETELY EVERY TIME YOU PLAY IT.

Anyway, the album's free on bandcamp, would really like your feedback!

https://rodrigosanmartin.bandcamp.com/album/the-veil-is-broken-i-childhood

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Sanmartinphase7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:12
Here's Mike Buenaventura Lima, the AMAZING drummer that played on all 22 tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLlWaYBSMCE

And this is Fernando Refay, a great composer and keyboardist who contributed most of the synth and piano solos, as well as many extra parts in the harpsichord, piano and a few details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFXkikNE67s
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:21
sounds pretty cool... but.. well.. I couldn't resist...  flashbacks from my youth...

Originally posted by Sanmartinphase7 Sanmartinphase7 wrote:

Hi, my name is Rodrigo San Martín and I'm a prog rock musician from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Hi Rodrigo... wellcome to Proggies Anonymous...also known as PA's.... where loser listeners and teatotalling far too serious musicians all meet to commiserate about their lack of broads, blow, and booze and why women or labels won't touch them LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:34
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

sounds pretty cool... but.. well.. I couldn't resist...  flashbacks from my youth...

Originally posted by Sanmartinphase7 Sanmartinphase7 wrote:

Hi Rodrigo... wellcome to Proggies Anonymous...also known as PA's.... where loser listeners and teatotalling far too serious musicians all meet to commiserate about their lack of broads, blow, and booze and why women or labels won't touch them LOL

Always good to know we're not alone LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:39
Thumbs Upno you are not and don't include me in that... I'm just here .. umm.. for some reason. I don't even like prog rock.  In fact the guys at work snagged me today shakin my ass to a Bruno Mars song. 

Now that man is a f**king genius.  Now perhaps the gods of of music inspire him to do a prog album LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Thumbs Upno you are not and don't include me in that... I'm just here .. umm.. for some reason. I don't even like prog rock.  In fact the guys at work snagged me today shakin my ass to a Bruno Mars song. 

Now that man is a f**king genius.  Now perhaps the gods of of music inspire him to do a prog album LOL

Would definetly hear it, maybe he'll duet with Taylor Swift on the 20 min closing monster! LOL

Seriously though, I was thinking today about how many of the musicians from the mainstream must secretely love some more complicated music, but only put on a commercial mask just to make a living...

Post Reply Post Reply