FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2017 NFL Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 12:57
I remember the good ol days when the giants didn't start off every season playing the cowboys in week 1.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 22:49
Well, can't be too thrilled the gmen took a QB (from a spread offense) in round 3. Was going pretty well too until that point........
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 19:06
As usual, the Steelers take a linebacker in the 1rst round, seems to be all they do in that round.  Interesting pickup in the late rounds, the QB from Tennessee, don't know much about him....report seems to be good backup qualities for big Ben I guess.

What in the world is Chicago doing?  Desperation move for a floundering front office.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 21:15
I know nothing of these players, so I go solely based off position.
Not terribly thrilled, on paper, with this draft. ONE O lineman? Yikes
A TE in the first round? Certainly surprising. My gut reaction was not great BUT seems he was a pretty good player, and is a receiver type TE. This is quite a shocker, the Giants always use big ol blocking TEs and force em to be so even if they aren't (Shockey) however....tradition means nothing :) Given we have Brandon Marshall now, Shep, ODB a big play TE could really make this offense something else.

Love the D tackle 2nd round.

After that.....eh. Guess we shall see but pretty much 3rd round down I am not really impressed.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 16:07
Well, the season officially kicks off tomorrow. My predictions below:

AFC:
Patriots
Steelers
Raiders
Texans
Chargers
Ravens

In the hunt: uhh...I guess the Chiefs and maybe the Bangles. Can I only pick five teams to make the playoffs?

NFC:
Seahawks
Packers
Falcons
Cowboys
Buccaneers
Cardinals 

In the hunt: Giants, Saints, Vikings 
Chula Vista View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 11:44
Well, that sucked. Defense kept missing assignments and The Chiefs exploited it every time. Most points and yards allowed at home in the Belichick era.

The offense sputtered badly too. Stopped on two 4th and less than a yard? Fortunately they have 9 days to study tape and hopefully play a lot better next week against The Saints in NO.

On the plus side, we all know what happened the last time the Chiefs blew out the Pats.
I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 13:13
Pats were ugly last nice, defense & O line needs work skill players need to get rid of the rust, when was the last time the Pats gave up 3 TD's in the fourth having led? First time in 82 games since leading at the half.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 20:05
Very happy about the NE loss, very unhappy about the Giants thus far. 
This was my fear: That our weapon laden offense would be useless because the line wont hold up, and sure enough that's been the case. These tackles are pathetic. I know Hart is still new, but Flowers just doesnt have it, and frankly Hart probably doesn't either. 
Add injury to insult: Beckham being out is the death blow. The offense is already 70% worse whenever he's not out there, but with no protection....

Shame since, as always, defense is playing damn well but this obviously can't hold up. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 21:47
Bit of a slow start for NFL week one. No real great games/performances and some teams were pretty damn dreadful.

Agrred completely with JJ above. The Gmen need to do everything and anything they can to address the oline situation.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 06:52
Sort of dull first week, Steelers did not look good early against the Browns who look to be improved and played with some spunk and nearly pulled it out.  Their rookie QB "could" be one they can win with, although just one game against a Steeler defense that did not look cohesive...

The Gmen game was hard to watch, O line is killing them.

Sort of humorous for the almighty NFL, the Rams and 49er stands were basically empty.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 13:00
Well, we shall see how tonight goes. Detroit doesn't have a pass rush that instills any concern in me so I hope our line will hold up, but then again Dallas doesn't have a pass rush that concerned me either :( 
Both team's run game will be pathetic I imagine so this may be an offensive battle.....more like can the Lions move it against the Giants Defense and can the Giants move it, at all

Speaking of lines, wow Denver's D can sell that magic they found for millions...how you hold Elliot to 8 yards on 9 carries is insane. What a beatdown for Dallas. Most of the games seemed fairly uninspiring
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 22:45
Our D line might be for real.  FIVE sacks on the night.  And special teams played great, too, so Stafford and the offense didn't really need to do much more than they already did.  Awesome road win, but next week is a huge test, and one I'm not confident at all about: Falcons.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 23:10
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Our D line might be for real.  FIVE sacks on the night.  And special teams played great, too, so Stafford and the offense didn't really need to do much more than they already did.  Awesome road win, but next week is a huge test, and one I'm not confident at all about: Falcons.

if only you could play against E Flowers every week ;)
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 23:11
Not to burst your bubble but don't get toooooo excited yet, our O line sucksLOL And I'm not trying to put ya down, you see how often I gripe about it here, and it showed yet again. Especially Erick Flowers, he is a dumpster fire. Things actually held up better after they moved our guard to right tackle, which says something. 
What I dont get is, we got DJ Fluker from San Diego...unless he's hurt (which he's not far as I can tell) why not try him? Can it be any worse? 

Sad thing is, when Eli did have time he proved still capable of making good throws, I even saw glimpses of that old zip. But this was quite rare. 
Besides the O line, Brandon Marshall is sh*tting the bed, the return coverage team allowed a TD at the absolutely most critical time...Really it feels like Eli is captain of a sinking ship, he has Odell to help dump water out but yikes, this offense is sad. 
Add to it some questionable play calling: Critical 4th down, dont even pass it beyond the 1st down line? And way too many behind the line passes for my taste. 

Defense was a bit inconsistent but overall I can't gripe. Lots of tight coverages and good pressure, though Detroit did seem to neutralize it down the road. Congrats to Detroit, they didn't slip and Stafford has developed into a legit top tier QB. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 08:32
I fell asleep right after the kickoff, but it sounds like it was a snoozefest of a game.  I'm not sure that Stafford throwing for 122 yards qualifies as "legit top-tier QB" material, but I guess he was efficient with what he did do.  :)  Pleasantly surprised to see Ameer Abdullah rushed for 86 yards.  I don't think that we've had a Lion running back rush for that many yards in a season in a long time, let alone 1 game. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 11:07
Nah I'd say he is. I mean can't base off one game lol do remember New York has a pretty good defense, especially in the secondary. There was a lot of tight coverage, so kudos for an efficient game. 
Overall I am impressed, for a while wasn't sure if Stafford had "it" but he's developed into a very good QB. Also what you missed by missing the game was the moves Stafford made with his legs. Never struck me a scrambler, maybe he isn't I dont know, but he moved around behind the line well and took off several times. Was Aaron Rodgers-esque. 
Once Detroit did slow down JPP and Vernon, Staff was pretty much lights out. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 09:51
WOW. Poor people of England...it always seems they get a cruddy game and this is no exception, Jacksonville currently up 37-0 on Baltimore. Bortles with 4 TDs, while Flacco is currently 8 of 18 for 28 yards and 2 picks. And it's not even the 4th qtr yet, yikes.....
EDIT: oh my god just gave up a 59 yard play on a fake punt AND were penalized after. Holy sh*t LOL

Granted I fear what my Giants will look like today. Dallas and Detroit don't exactly have fearsome defenses and we see what they did, Ziggy Ansah was a force of nature, so Philly with their many high quality pass rushers...we may end up losing 40-0 ourselves. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 11:29
Hey whadya know? The Giants suddenly realized one way to negate a bad line/fierce pass rush is to move the ball quickly and efficiently. Look at the zip on these passes and how quick they are moving. Where was this weeks 1 & 2? I mean I don't super love it but gotta do what works. 

Oh hey, and on 3rd and inches they opt for a pitch several yards behind the line, killing all momentum. Oh McAdoo what are we gunna do with you?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 17:50
Yeah...some bad decisions there by the giants, especially going for it in field goal range on 4th down. Did the giants deserve to win? Ehh, probably not (not that the eagles were gold) but they could have had this one. Always a couple losses like this for the giants in the season, harder after completely sucking the big one in the first two weeks.

And what a lionsy way to lose for the lions.

But a great week of football thus far with two games to go.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 18:07
Oh, Lions... Cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>