FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2017 NFL Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 00:20
At this point I just want the giants to avoid going 0-16. Sneak out a win and then tank the season. I've never seen the top 4 receivers get hurt in a game before (and three with left ankle injuries). Hope that Shepard and Marshall can return soon, but they looked pretty grave out there.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 08:04
No doubt the injuries were crushing, and on the other side I believe Vernon has been playing injured which may be why his production is down, and I think some of the secondary have been on and off banged up? 
I'm kinda liking my rush 50 times a game try and avoid injuries for the rest of the year idea at this point! 

It's just shameful what's happened, and more I think about it there have been plenty of quality linemen to hit FA in recent years. Maybe not top tier but certainly better than this mess, and not getting mega contracts. Off the top of my head, Donald Penn or Richie Incognito 

Ha I have thought about that, there's always the 49ers they could maybe be a win, the Raiders maybe?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 20:10
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

No doubt the injuries were crushing, and on the other side I believe Vernon has been playing injured which may be why his production is down, and I think some of the secondary have been on and off banged up? 
I'm kinda liking my rush 50 times a game try and avoid injuries for the rest of the year idea at this point! 

It's just shameful what's happened, and more I think about it there have been plenty of quality linemen to hit FA in recent years. Maybe not top tier but certainly better than this mess, and not getting mega contracts. Off the top of my head, Donald Penn or Richie Incognito 

Ha I have thought about that, there's always the 49ers they could maybe be a win, the Raiders maybe?

Yeah...I believe Vernon was a scratch with his own ankle injury for the san diego game, so he's definitely been banged up. Jenkins has been out (and DRC was hobbled during the game as well)...but Apple seems to be the biggest problem in the secondary, and he's been healthy.

Agreed. The other thing I have noticed is a lack of speed on defesne, especially where linebackers are concerned...another position group that is a huge failing  for Reece.

49ers are definitely a possibility (and depending on when they play could be another 0fer bowl!), if Carr is back for the Raiders than I imagine no hope there. Gotta hope for general divisional wtfs I think to get a win (aside from the 49ers which is definitely their best shot).
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 15:30
Detroit trailed in that game late by 17 points and got two quick TDs to close it up.  Otherwise, we looked far from an elite NFC team.

Edited by MillsLayne - October 12 2017 at 15:30
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 15:41
^ The defense certainly forgot Ed Dickson existed (which is fair, because I'm pretty sure 98% of football fans fall into that category). Lions definitely feel like they are in the good but not great category at this point in the season. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 16:37
I can't get a good read on the Lions yet, but they are at point where they can make a good run at the Packers...maybe.

Steelers just do not look right and Big Ben's head is not in the game....could be the beginning of the end, but it could be the point where kick it in gear and give it a a last go at it with this talent.  Who knows?

Sort of a toss up with tonights game with Eagles and Panthers, home team on Thursdays I guess...
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 15:44
^ I don't think so. But then I've always been of the type to think the Packers should (fairly) easily win the division with ARod slinging it around.  
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 16:30
The LB situation for the  Giants is weird. Last year,  I thought they were very good, this year they look awful. Same group (Kennard, Casillas, Goodson) so I'll just say the Giants are cursed to never have any side of the ball be good from one year to the next lol 

Though I do think losing Hankins hurt. I knew just a defensive tackle but he was very good, and quite a duo next to the man mountain Harrison. Gotta wonder if that has cost us some run stopping and pass rush. 
I did hear the niners released Bowman. He may not be in his prime BUT if the Giants wanna shore up their LB corps...

Lions are always tough to pin! It does seem despite my earlier comments their defense may be pretty legit. 
I dont think they are topping the Packers, even if thats just b/c Rodgers is actually a football machine. 

Yeah, I was all on the "lets how these Eagles really look once they play a team with  a record above .500" and they won. They got a defense, they have a QB that is just killing it. Seems off to say they are contenders but, they certainly have the pieces. 

Speaking of "are they really for real" the 3-2 Jets !?!?!? play the Patriots. I know they're having a down year with the defense and o line but this the Jets, NE will not want to lose. A real test for NY.

Speaking of NY I just saw the Niners play washington, Browns play Houston, Giants Denver....kinda am wondering if this weekend ends with NYG as the only winless team :(
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 16:35
I have absolutely no concern about Big Ben. I love how he was having an above average year thus far, then one bad game and "Is it over??" been seeing it everywhere. I mean, it was a bad game yeah but, one game lol 
R-E-L-A-X
Just like how every season I see talks bubbling up "Is Rodgers on the decline??" then he does what he does ha

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 17:35
would guess it was the great back end and very strong front four that made it easier on the LBs/made them look better. But I don't have stats or anything to back that up...just a gut feeling. And yeah...not sure how the rookie is doing (clearly badly but you know) but Hankins was the major change in the D this season...though the whole giants defense seems out of whack so... 

Eagles definitely have their flaws (secondary, second year quarterback, offensive cohesion [though that should get better as they play longer together]) but for the east I think they definitely the cream of the (floppy) crop. They looked pretty good yesterday. Wentz is looking for real at this point. 

I would think Houston will take the victory even with the depleted defense (the Browns and still lolzy and quite undermanned almost everywhere). Washington will probably be closer, but the Skins should win (especially if it's in WSH). I will be happy if the giants score points...anny points, especially before the fourth quarter.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 17:15
Wow this Chiefs game has been insane! How the hell it stayed only 12-3 despite how dominating Pitt was. KC defense has been awful but oddly clutch and Alex Smith really took this game on his shoulders. Game manager my foot he's been on fire late here

Edited by JJLehto - October 15 2017 at 17:16
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 17:18
If anything Smith is putting too much zip on it. That wide open pass he threw waaaaay too hard. Guy either has limp throws or too hard lol
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 18:02
Another strange week in the NFL...
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 20:01
Wow....of course the game I don't watch the Giants are up 17-3
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 20:05
Aaron Rodgers out for the season.  The door to the NFC North championship is now wide open for the hapless Lions.  Now the reliable Matt Stafford needs to show up and earn his biggest paycheck in the NFL.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 22:22
WOW....so apparently the Giants decided to show up. 0-5, down 2 receivers including your stud, down a corner and pass rusher, and now they look good? Against Denver?? I mean I'll take the win but WTF, why did you wake up now? 
I have to assume it's down to McAdoo giving up the play calling and the reshuffled O line. Fluker coming back has made a noticeable difference, and in conjunction with Pugh playing tackle. MAYBE we can hobble something together... Orleans Darkwa has been a good back for a while now, maybe he can finally be set free. 
Though all the "Odell is a diva distraction!" folk are gunna be utterly insufferable lol 

And the defense, 2 picks? 3 JPP sacks? 2 forced fumbles? Again, where were you before? 

Watch them suddenly get good, end up like 10-6 and fall just short of the playoffs...

Edited by JJLehto - October 15 2017 at 22:25
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 22:30
The loss of Rodgers hurts my soul. That really sucks. And yeah, one has to assume the Packers are toast. Certainly makes the playoff race more interesting. 
It should be the Lions' for the taking, but we shall see. 

New England really isn't looking super hot. Barely gets by the Jets aided by stupid ass rules. 

Oh! Forgot about the Adrian Peterson to Arizona move. If he can stay healthy, this is gunna be amazing. With Palmer and that passing game. Yikes. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 08:40
What a strange day on the gridiron it was.  

I thought this was the type of game the Steelers would win and they seem to have the Chiefs number a little bit, although Steelers let them hang around and made it too interesting in the 4th.  They seem to play up or down to the competition.  Maybe they can just shut their mouth now and just play the game....

Congrats to the G-men for getting off the snide, maybe they can make it interesting if the rest of the division will have a little slump.  Also, the Chargers removed the goose egg also.

NFC North should be fun now with Rodgers out, hated to see that but thats part of the game.  Was that NO and Lions score a basketball game?

Pats defense allows another 300 yard passing attack, wow.  New QB, but Browns lay another turd...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2017 at 16:36
Nah, the Lions showed me yesterday that they aren't ready to take that next step.  Still fairly mediocre.  So, with Rodgers exiting the season probably, I feel like the North will go to the Vikings.  They're playing good ball right now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2017 at 21:40
Tonight further proved why Rodgers is the MVP, and it's not even close.  The Packers are so bad without him.  And as happy as I am to get the W, I can't get excited over beating a Rodger-less team.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>