Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2017 NFL Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 20:25
Sigh.....well Giants had a legit chance to win, guess this is progress? 
Not even being snarky, this is an actual improvement. Given I feared this game would be like 40-3 I guess I should be happy. 

But I'm not. The Giants found something that works but McAdoo blew it with some questionable decisions, and the penalties! Ugh....especially that John Jerry penalty that negated a big pass when Eli caught em with 12 on the field. Sheesh. It's infuriating because they totally negated the Eagle's ferocious pass rush, Eli was barely pressured at all and because of it he looked great. Even got the offense woken up, that was classic Odell, and Shepard showed his abilities. Eli made crisp, zippy accurate throws and looked confident. 
All I know is 74% complete, 366 yards, 3 TDs and one of those picks was off a batted ball (the other btw Marshall seemed to have no idea the ball was even coming) so McAdoo can't throw Manning under the bus for this one. 

Saw the second half of the Packers game. Good stuff. Rodgers is a true master of the game, and I can't believe until this he's never won an OT game! 
Denver loses to Buffalo, Pitt to Chicago, and Miami to the Jets...ouch! 
Didn't catch the Detroit game but says a go ahead TD was called back? Damn. Detroit does seem to have a curse with TDs being not counted. 

Though on that note...sincere question: What the hell is a catch anymore? In the Giants game Shepard had a TD taken away, he had possession, didn't bobble it once, seemed smooth and both feet down. 
Later Odell was bobbling a catch, last moment got it pinned on his shoulder, it's a catch. 
I mean I was glad but, what?? I thought the new rules were supposed to remove inconsistency and make it clearer? Honestly I'm mad about it, that was a catch but that's the rule I guess. If it can be explained why it wasn't I'm all ears. 

Anywho, Pats hold off Houston, Seattle loses to Tennessee and KC tops the Chargers. The last team with a tough defense, pound the run game it seems...which may be why I have a soft spot for em. And my boy Alex Smith doing his thing. His thing may be consistently average but he's mastered itLOL
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 23:30
The problem with Rodgers in OT is the packers never seem to the win the coin flip...especially in high profile playoff games. Now sure, sometimes he has a possession and still lost, but still...

As for the catch...seems to be the ol calvin Johnson rule. The receiver has to keep possession of the ball all the way to the ground/through the process of the catch. It was clear that when SS fell to the ground the ball popped out immediately. I think (even from my biased viewpoint) that most people would agree that it should be a catch, but by rule, it was sadly the correct call. Odell kept the ball in his hands as he was falling down and it never budged upon him hitting the ground.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 01:35
I figured that had to be the case. I was like no way he personally has been unable to win in 7 games...

Yeah that's the thing though "all the way to the ground" but he seemed to have it all the way through to me. It used to be if its in (and ya got it w/ 2 feet) that's that. Someone did say to me well he didn't maintain all the way through and it popped out as you say but then...what about OBJ's? lol it seemed way less stable. I guess the rules and my eyes just dont sync up...SS's seemed to  be a clear catch and ironically that crazy one from OBJ seemed like the questionable one! 

Also yikes, what a spanking Washington put on Oakland. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 17:15
It should be a catch, but given the rule as is, I think it was the correct call (at least consistent with how they have been calling it in the past). for OBJ, he didn't bobble it at all on the way to ground. Sure, the werid thrust it against his helmet/shoulder pad was unusual, but it did appear clear in (slow-mo) replay that he had possession and never lost it after getting the feets in.

And yheah....Oakland bombed that bad. East coast fatigue? Didn't take the opponent serious enough? Idk...but wasn't what I wanted to see (for reality or my fantasy team :p) 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 21:17
Larry Fitzgerald is a beast!! Epic catch, and 120+ yard night. Dude may be old but he's still the man. One has to wonder how much better still his career would be if he didn't have those few years of horrid QB's
Speaking of old...I know Carson Palmer doesn't get much respect but honestly, I still like him. He seems to have never gotten the respect he deserved even in the day when he was basically right behind Peyton and Brady, he still puts up good numbers and watching him, still got the arm, deep throws, mobility. 
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 12:22
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Sigh.....well Giants had a legit chance to win, guess this is progress? 
Not even being snarky, this is an actual improvement. Given I feared this game would be like 40-3 I guess I should be happy. 

But I'm not. The Giants found something that works but McAdoo blew it with some questionable decisions, and the penalties! Ugh....especially that John Jerry penalty that negated a big pass when Eli caught em with 12 on the field. Sheesh. It's infuriating because they totally negated the Eagle's ferocious pass rush, Eli was barely pressured at all and because of it he looked great. Even got the offense woken up, that was classic Odell, and Shepard showed his abilities. Eli made crisp, zippy accurate throws and looked confident. 
All I know is 74% complete, 366 yards, 3 TDs and one of those picks was off a batted ball (the other btw Marshall seemed to have no idea the ball was even coming) so McAdoo can't throw Manning under the bus for this one. 

Eagles CBs suck to begin with but we were also playing with our 4th string safety, no Cox, and no Hicks for the only part of the game you could move the ball. CBs were giving Eli the quick slants because Schwartz was protecting them from getting roasted deep. It's just not a thing that the Giants are going to replicate all week, and I don't think the 4th quarter happens as it does without the injuries. I'm not sure how much progress was actually made by the Giants. I just don't understand how the team has neglected OL for so long. Even when you draft a TE that would usually help matters you chose to take a guy who is just a WR. Dunno what the Gaints outlook is going forward.

Awesome to watch your cbs play though. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 15:19
Well I've been griping about the O line since 2011, and since then why the hell Reese doesn't address it, so preaching to the choir there. 
In some fairness, moves don't always work out. Will Beatty was top 10 caliber when healthy, but that was an every other year occurrence. Pugh and Richburg have turned out superbly. There's always been hope of it all being put together, but it happens in pieces. Like get a good one, but then Snee is old and declining. Get another, but Beatty is hurt. Get another but then this one is gone. Just never put it together 
Still unacceptable though. There are so many good FAs out there, no excuse to not get at least one tackle, and no excuse for not drafting more

Yeah the Eagles gave a ton of space, more or less let us have a game like that, but still....you don't need talent to really do that. The Pats have perfected a quick, efficient strike offense and often they run slot WRs and no names from other teams, so really I dont see why we cant do the same. In fact this game right here, they went 4 wide no TE, quick pass to Shepard who takes off. It aint that hard? 

Speaking of Giants.....is Brandon Marshall allergic to catching? I'll grant he's still learning the offense and the Eli-WR connection is famously slow building and difficult, but how many catchable balls has he dropped? Thought he was the guaranteed 100 catch a year guy
Is McAdoo allergic to kicking field goals? Game could be tied right now.... 

Ah well, for ultimate proof Eli needs to do everything, just ran for a TD LOL

Edited by JJLehto - October 01 2017 at 15:22
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 15:38
Pats go down to Carolina, Cowboys go down to LA, Atlanta to Buffalo and the Jets win. Good weekend so far. Deshaun Watson with the 5 TD game and why do people think ever year Aaron Rodgers is done?

Woo Giants defense with the red zone stop. Honestly been pretty poor thus far but clutch there. I gotta give Eli credit, they've actually let Eli hang in the pocket as it collapses and he's held up pretty well. 
Nick Folk is currently the Giants MVP. His 2 missed FGs and missed XP are probably the most critical thing for us thus farCry

Edited by JJLehto - October 01 2017 at 16:02
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 17:16
Sigh....there it is. The guy who missed 3 kicks for the game winner, of course. 
Typical Giants fashion, he almost missed it too. 
Cant even be mad, whadya expect when things are this painful to see?
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 18:10
Lions won a big road divisional match in Minnesota today.  Ugly on offense (again), but huge on defense (again) and even had some close calls go our way, I guess to make up for last week. LOL
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 19:21
Well Steelers finally got their head out of their arse and won a game in Baltimore. Bell's hold out got him off to a slow start...

Random thoughts.....Pats D is awful, are the Rams for real?, Hawks offense is bad, will Luck ever play this year?, Cowboys come back to earth, Romo not bad in the TV booth, Same ol Browns........

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 20:10
The Seahawks are pissing me off.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 23:51
Yeah Baltimore is a total dumpster fire this year, yikes. 

Well it's only a quarter in the season and we can bet Bill will find some way to work his magic...but right now the Pats have the worst defense in the NFL. Shocking, especially after making the rare big $ FA pick up! They aren't just bad but on pace to be historically bad. OK I am not sure I expect this to continue, I recall other years we all thought "Oh this looks bad on D" and Bill manages to drag em to at least solid, then ya know onto the SB, but its the worst start he's had in his career to deal with. Supposedly their O line has struggled a bit as well, least for their standards (I cant say Ive seen any games so just going off commentary).

Since I am a resident downplayer of Brady (I just think he's great and not the GOAT, I know such a hater) I kind of want to see a full season where he has a fairly poor defense, and gets pressured somewhat regularly. I'd like to see him do what many other have to do, carry a not so good team and handle pressure. That seems to me the only real knock on him, he does not handle pressure well perhaps due to rarely ever seeing it, so be the GOAT, I wanna see a poor Pats team and what Brady can do. He finally shut me up a bit with his SB performance last year, so cmon Tom shut me up for good. 
I realize the flaw in this is he probably will f**king win the SB and then I really have to eat my words!

Speaking of proving oneself, my boy Alex Smith lead the Chiefs on a game winning drive, capped with a 37 yard pass. Yikes, he needs to watch all these deep passes this year, he aint used to this...arm may fall off! 
But yeah, KC with a damn good defense, run game...but can Smith lead em? Thus far he seems to be more than his usual conservative game manager. He's on pace to post some career numbers. As the resident defender of Alex Smith LOL show me what you can really do. 

Rams may be for real, again defense, epic run game...QB? 
Confused about the Seahawks comments, maybe not their prime but offense doesn't seem sooo bad?
It does seem like Luck's career is gunna be ended by his constant injuries which would be a tragedy 
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 12:31

Well I've been griping about the O line since 2011, and since then why the hell Reese doesn't address it, so preaching to the choir there. 
In some fairness, moves don't always work out. Will Beatty was top 10 caliber when healthy, but that was an every other year occurrence. Pugh and Richburg have turned out superbly. There's always been hope of it all being put together, but it happens in pieces. Like get a good one, but then Snee is old and declining. Get another, but Beatty is hurt. Get another but then this one is gone. Just never put it together 
Still unacceptable though. There are so many good FAs out there, no excuse to not get at least one tackle, and no excuse for not drafting more

Yeah the Eagles gave a ton of space, more or less let us have a game like that, but still....you don't need talent to really do that. The Pats have perfected a quick, efficient strike offense and often they run slot WRs and no names from other teams, so really I dont see why we cant do the same. In fact this game right here, they went 4 wide no TE, quick pass to Shepard who takes off. It aint that hard? 

Speaking of Giants.....is Brandon Marshall allergic to catching? I'll grant he's still learning the offense and the Eli-WR connection is famously slow building and difficult, but how many catchable balls has he dropped? Thought he was the guaranteed 100 catch a year guy

You still need talent to run a quick strike offense. Teams with CBs will start to press at the line. My point was the Eagles weren't even attempting to stop the Giants from running those plays in the meaty part of the field. Other teams won't play the Giants like that. 

I don't know about Marshall man. Thought he was money too. Just looks like he might be done honestly. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 12:57
Interesting start to the season. No real dominant teams IMO. Even the Cheifs have issues for me, although they clearly are in the drivers seat right now (especially in the AFC). Will be fun to watch is certain fast starts (ie RAms and Bills) will continue or nosedive.

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Well Steelers finally got their head out of their arse and won a game in Baltimore. Bell's hold out got him off to a slow start...

Random thoughts.....Pats D is awful, are the Rams for real?, Hawks offense is bad, will Luck ever play this year?, Cowboys come back to earth, Romo not bad in the TV booth, Same ol Browns........

My fantasy team thanks Bell  for being up to speed finally. :p

The Pats D is certainly bad. No pressure and no coverage, usually a bad mix. I have faith BB will pull through to at least make decent defense by years end...I still wouldn't pick against them to win the east. 

The rams look fun. Goff is still technically in his first year so I'm not going to get too excited yet, but they are certainly the biggest turnaround team thus far. 

Like the Pats, I have faith that the Hawks will turn it around. Backfield injuries may make this harder however...

As for luck, I certainly wouldn't play him until his 100%, but I suspect it will come down to how open winning the south is. If in several weeks he is ready but *insert team here* is well ahead, I suspect they may take the cautious route. Not sure if any team in the south is capable of this however, even if Houston is looking pretty good right now.

I am surprised at the sound of Romo's voice. I got used to it being much more whiney and screeching. ;) 

Lol browns.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 14:32
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

You still need talent to run a quick strike offense. Teams with CBs will start to press at the line. My point was the Eagles weren't even attempting to stop the Giants from running those plays in the meaty part of the field. Other teams won't play the Giants like that. 

I don't know about Marshall man. Thought he was money too. Just looks like he might be done honestly. 

Well turns out we may have some possible hope. DJ Fluker started the Tampa game and the line did look a lot better. I mean it may be TB doesn't have a fierce pass rush but with Fluker replacing John Jerry and Pugh replacing Hart at RT...those are 2 upgrades. Not that it's a great fix but least it's something. 
I think the bigger problem is you need great rhythm and timing and practice for that style, so NY probably can't just switch to that and IDK if it's Eli or the offense he was used to for 10 years but he is not a rhythm timing guy...used to bug me to no end how rarely he hits WRs in stride, it's always drop back, wait for route to develop, pass to spot. Then he shows off that wild gunslinger style which either works like art, or a car crash. Though progress happened under McAdoo. We shall see, maybe we can hobble together a moderately better O line. 

This was a concern of mine with Marshall yeah. I hoped it was just a product of a sh*tty Jets team but seems he may be done. Sure wish we just got a lineman instead! 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 13:01
The battle of the winless! I was gunna say I guess the good news is someone has to finally get a win but I guess it could end in a tie ha
Anyway, this has looked like a game between 0-4 teams Yikes

Edit: Ah ok the Giants apparently lost Marshall and Shepard, then Harris, so now has just two receivers...
Although Eli had a random great passing drive so go figure. 
Still though, what a painful game, defense can't tackle for their life, getting decent pressure but then lets em convert a 3rd & 15. Chargers look terrible too. Just ouch

Well, those 2 receivers have just both produced pretty big TDs but these penalties...I can only conclude neither team wants to win. They both want the worst record to try and get the #1 pick ha

Edited by JJLehto - October 08 2017 at 13:50
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 16:04
Yikes...the season was already over but if Beckham is hurt long run, f**k we might as well just resign the remainder of 2017!
Let's just line up with 3 TEs, a FB, run 50 times a game and try to make it to year's end without anyone else getting hurt. Get a sweet draft pick and take a lineman. Actually I am dead serious, if Reese doesn't pick up at least 2 good lineman next year in FA he should be fired. 
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 17:42
Time to pump the brakes on the Lions by the media.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 23:42
Wow what a win from KC. I really like how they're playing my boy Alex Smith is actually having a pretty solid year. Add another 300+ yds and 3 TDs. If this keeps up it's gunna be by far a career year. OK, I'm making it official, my backup for this year are the Chiefs. 
Don't get me wrong, I'll be watching the Giants every weekend and pulling for them to get their 3 or 4 wins but in terms of hopeLOL I'll be for KC for the remainder of this season. 

What Mills? One close loss to a 4-1 team and suddenly everyone is jamming the breaks? I'd say seems a bit presumptuous but I know I know there's the constant depression and waiting for let down that comes with Detroit. Least they're not 0-5! 

Looks like Rodgers pulled out yet another win in thrilling fashion. Glad to see Dallas lose (by this point its all I have) and really, I am more and more convinced Rodgers is the QB of our generation. Nothing against Brady and Peyton but in terms of pure skill, this guy is tops. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>