Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedstyx (pieces of eight )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: styx (pieces of eight )
    Posted: March 09 2017 at 10:06
Although most styx fans and non-fans would say that their best album is the grand illusion,all i can say pieces of eight needs to be listened for all over-all great album, two songs i think are filler is aku-aku and the message the two hits blue collar man and renegade are good i find upon hearing sing for the day and queen of spades, are simply the best on the album. any other thoughts about this album ?Once again this applies to styx fans and non styx fans THANKS grant 7/10
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 10:28
This is an album oft surmised one of their finest, and to some, their finest of all.  I'm not a fan of this one.  I think it is far less consistent in songwriting quality than the releases on either side of it.  GI is much more memorable and fresh, and Cornerstone far above P8 in great hooks and catchy songs, even if most folks call it a pop-rock album, which it was, by design.  I recall Dennis being quite clear that he thought his contributions to P8 pretty much sucked and that he wanted to move on to more pleasing sounds, though he was generous enough to specify his distaste for the album did not include Tommy's tracks. Cornerstone (and Paradise Theater) succeeded in the new mold very much.  

For their efforts, they were the first band to sell four consecutive multi-platinum albums, starting with Grand Illusion.  Not bad for the Windy City. 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 11:14
The title-track is superb. Actually, I think the weakest tune (for me) is Renegade. Very good album over all.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 14:40
I have an immense disregard for the so called "AOR genre" and I actually like some songs off this album! The song "I'm OK" an exception. Pinch Yuk.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply