Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ten classic prog albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which of these albums do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [8.66%]
14 [11.02%]
13 [10.24%]
30 [23.62%]
18 [14.17%]
24 [18.90%]
6 [4.72%]
4 [3.15%]
3 [2.36%]
1 [0.79%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.79%]
2 [1.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeebon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 03:09
I really like all of these albums, a lot.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 04:29
Close To The Edge. DSOTM is so overplayed to this day that it should be considered a pop album.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 19:46
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Oh wow, how did I miss this one? Anyway looks like Close to the Edge has it and that's how it should be. I wanted to vote for Selling England(just to show my support and because that album's special to me), but instead I ended up voting for Brain Salad Surgery because it only had 5 freaking votes!! One of the absolute greatest prog albums of all time and only 5 votes! So now it has 6 and I'm a little happier. Tongue

There's lot's of talk about the silly songs that ruin the album, like Benny the Bouncer, The Sherrif, etc. But for me the problem is (even though I do rather dislike/hate those songs) that the Karn Evil 9 thing just doesn't work, I just can't love it. It's enjoyable and all, but not great as other prog pieces I really love... if that song was among the ones I got to love from the genre, this album would be a masterpiece for me. Just a similar case with Selling England, many people complain about More Fool Me (and even I Know What I Like... which I do like), but for me that song is short enough (and bland enough) not to bother me... the one that really ruins the album for me is Battle of Epping Forest.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 20:29
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Oh wow, how did I miss this one? Anyway looks like Close to the Edge has it and that's how it should be. I wanted to vote for Selling England(just to show my support and because that album's special to me), but instead I ended up voting for Brain Salad Surgery because it only had 5 freaking votes!! One of the absolute greatest prog albums of all time and only 5 votes! So now it has 6 and I'm a little happier. Tongue

There's lot's of talk about the silly songs that ruin the album, like Benny the Bouncer, The Sherrif, etc. But for me the problem is (even though I do rather dislike/hate those songs) that the Karn Evil 9 thing just doesn't work, I just can't love it. It's enjoyable and all, but not great as other prog pieces I really love... if that song was among the ones I got to love from the genre, this album would be a masterpiece for me. Just a similar case with Selling England, many people complain about More Fool Me (and even I Know What I Like... which I do like), but for me that song is short enough (and bland enough) not to bother me... the one that really ruins the album for me is Battle of Epping Forest.

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I strongly suggest, if you get time, listening to Karn Evil 9 again(the whole of it) and this time focus on the keyboard playing. I think what might be happening is that you listen to the album and by the time it gets to that part you've already made up your mind that you don't like it.. I'm not sure about this but I honestly think that if you listen to it again by itself and with emphasis on the keyboarding wizardry that it will click for you. As for Selling England by the Pound.. I think the results of this poll tell a pretty accurate story here. And it's EASILY in my top 5 albums of all time. Is it perfect, no. But Firth of Fifth is a TOWERING classic! And I Know What I Like(which you even said that you like) is obviously great as well. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight is very good, Battle of Epping Forest certainly isn't bad. I even like More Fool Me with my man P.C. Heck I love the whole album lol. If you don't then I respect that but it absolutely is considered one the two or three greatest prog albums ever by most people. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 21:01

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I strongly suggest, if you get time, listening to Karn Evil 9 again(the whole of it) and this time focus on the keyboard playing. I think what might be happening is that you listen to the album and by the time it gets to that part you've already made up your mind that you don't like it.. I'm not sure about this but I honestly think that if you listen to it again by itself and with emphasis on the keyboarding wizardry that it will click for you. As for Selling England by the Pound.. I think the results of this poll tell a pretty accurate story here. And it's EASILY in my top 5 albums of all time. Is it perfect, no. But Firth of Fifth is a TOWERING classic! And I Know What I Like(which you even said that you like) is obviously great as well. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight is very good, Battle of Epping Forest certainly isn't bad. I even like More Fool Me with my man P.C. Heck I love the whole album lol. If you don't then I respect that but it absolutely is considered one the two or three greatest prog albums ever by most people. 

Indeed I should give Karn Evil 9 another listen. It should be enjoyable anyway, even if I don't change much my opinion. I did listen to the whole album many times when I bought it, as well as the "Welcome Back to the Show that Never Ends" live version of the song. And yeah, I don't deny the keyboard playing is outstanding indeed. But most of the times when I go back to these songs/albums that haven't clicked with me, nothing changes very much (most of the times, but sometimes I do hear whatever I was missing before). As for Selling England, I do love that album... only I just can't get into Epping Forest (that one really annoys me, unlike Karn Evil that I just don't love it as much as other people do), but the rest of the songs are really wonderful indeed, specially the trio "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", "Firth of Fifth", and "Cinema Show" are the perfect example of what I love from this band (while Epping Forest is the perfect example of what I don't like). However, I enjoy Moonlit Knight and Cinema Show much more on their live versions, I feel they get a bit of energy that might be lacking from the original ones (and I love how Phil Collins drums on those live versions, he's really rather subdued on the studio).
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 14:22
All are fantastic - but Dark side for me
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 18:20

Indeed I should give Karn Evil 9 another listen. It should be enjoyable anyway, even if I don't change much my opinion. I did listen to the whole album many times when I bought it, as well as the "Welcome Back to the Show that Never Ends" live version of the song. And yeah, I don't deny the keyboard playing is outstanding indeed. But most of the times when I go back to these songs/albums that haven't clicked with me, nothing changes very much (most of the times, but sometimes I do hear whatever I was missing before). As for Selling England, I do love that album... only I just can't get into Epping Forest (that one really annoys me, unlike Karn Evil that I just don't love it as much as other people do), but the rest of the songs are really wonderful indeed, specially the trio "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", "Firth of Fifth", and "Cinema Show" are the perfect example of what I love from this band (while Epping Forest is the perfect example of what I don't like). However, I enjoy Moonlit Knight and Cinema Show much more on their live versions, I feel they get a bit of energy that might be lacking from the original ones (and I love how Phil Collins drums on those live versions, he's really rather subdued on the studio).

Yeah Phil Collins is very underrated as a drummer imo(not by Genesis fans but the general public). Actually even as hugely famous and popular as he was/is, he's still underrated pretty much all around imho. You keep mentioning that you don't like The Battle of Epping Forest.. while it's definitely not my favorite song on the album, I do like it. Probably what you don't like is when they keep repeating the word PICNIC *shudders* I'm scared now

Anyway, I hope you had a chance to relisten to Karn Evil 9. If not, you can right here(if you want)..

Edited by YESESIS - August 09 2017 at 18:21
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 21:12

Yeah Phil Collins is very underrated as a drummer imo(not by Genesis fans but the general public). Actually even as hugely famous and popular as he was/is, he's still underrated pretty much all around imho. You keep mentioning that you don't like The Battle of Epping Forest.. while it's definitely not my favorite song on the album, I do like it. Probably what you don't like is when they keep repeating the word PICNIC *shudders* I'm scared now

<font>Anyway, I hope you had a chance to relisten to Karn Evil 9. If not, you can right here(if you want)..

Not yet, too many new albums that I have been spinning lately, and I like to listen to them many times before I put them away for a while. But one of these days I will.
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 19:30
Pawn Hearts followed by CTTE, TAAB and ITCOTCK
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 01:37
Selling England By The Pound could be favourite ( I voted BSS earlier) but as Dellinger mentioned there is an issue with Battle Of Epping Forest. It always amazes me that ELP get hauled across the coals for Benny The Bouncer yet Genesis got away with that piece of drivel. OK the rest of the album is great and has some of the best Genesis music ever (although saying thatg disc one of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway beats it imo)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 09:09
I've said it elsewhere, and I'm in the minority, but I'll take the Epping Forest lyrics over Firth of Fifth lyrics any day. Maybe it's the Zappa fan in me that responds to its sardonic wit. I like the rapid fire wordiness of it too. My favorite work on the album, however, is After the Ordeal, which has no vocals.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 11:26
All strong contenders for me (except Dream Theater) but the vote goes to my fave prog album of all time Pawn Hearts.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 12:26
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I've said it elsewhere, and I'm in the minority, but I'll take the Epping Forest lyrics over Firth of Fifth lyrics any day.

I don't think that's too controversial of an opinion to hold. I don't think I know anyone who likes Firth of Fifth specifically for the lyrics; they're too awkward-sounding and don't flow very nicely. People really just tend to love the song for the instrumental passages.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 06:45
voted other, since its a tough choice

no Camel? Renaissance? Maybe Colosseum. MMEB? Supertramp, Ange? Goblin?

just wanted to bump this up, nice poll. :)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:17
Yes Close to The Edge bar none!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:30
In the Court.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 07:44
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

My #2 would be Genesis - Selling England By the Pound
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 09:26
Good List

My Top Five:

Moving Pictures > CTTE > SEBTP > DSOTM > Misplace Childhood

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 10:51
Great selection indeed. My top 5 is currently:

CTTE > TAAB > SEBTP > ITCOTCK > DSOTM

Hardly the thickness of paper between these and the other five though.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234