Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl Reissues
    Posted: March 10 2017 at 04:12
Résultat de recherche dimages pour "gramofon duck"

It's time for a thread (if it does not already exist) on vinyl reissues. I'm in love with Lps, again, but it's a strange love. Often I'm very disappointed. New discs are noisy, warped, full of pressing marks or sound awful compared to old and expensive editions. So ... 
Which ones are the best ? How to avoid a bad surprise ? Hope we could answer together to those questions.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 04:35
Well, I gotta get on eBay to find that elusive one for sure.

Vinyl should have never died. I didn't even buy CDs until around 2000. This new crap is too expensive and it's trying too hard to recapture the glory. Gotta have the originals no matter how hacked up they are. 

Edited by Kepler62 - March 10 2017 at 04:36
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 06:36
I sold my records, a thousand, in the 2000's for 200 bucks. Ouch Today I sell my Cd's to buy Lp's. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 07:30
Discogs is a good place to buy vinyl. You can find original, re-issue and new and there's always multiple sellers for each item so you have choices. The site is huge and has tens of thousands of albums available from private sellers.
In the last two years I've bought about 150 albums through Discogs but less than a dozen from ebay.
It's always the first place I check and I usually don't have to look any farther. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 07:39
Yeah I know. I sell and buy on Discogs. But if you know what you buy, sometimes you are surprised by what you receive. Recently I sold Franco Leprino  CD to buy the vinyl Edition on Wah Wah records. Big disappointment. My Cd sounded much better. 

Résultat de recherche dimages pour "franco leprino désintégration"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 07:56
I guess that's a chance you always have to take.  Unhappy
If you're buying new (or re-issue), there are a lot of people pressing vinyl these days so quality may vary.
If you're buying used you have to take the seller's word on condition.  
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 07:58
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Yeah I know. I sell and buy on Discogs. But if you know what you buy, sometimes you are surprised by what you receive. Recently I sold Franco Leprino  CD to buy the vinyl Edition on Wah Wah records. Big disappointment. My Cd sounded much better. 

No, you didn't ShockedOuch I don't have it but I'd rather get the CD. I have Elektriktus' album from Wah Wah Records and it's terrible.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 07:59

Thanks for the heads up Pierre. I was thinking about doing the same but you just changed my mind.

Oh and I just recently sold some 1500+ cds to a friend of mine - not sure I'd ever consider doing the same with my vinyls.

As for the op: I would like to see Komintern's Le Bal Du Rat Mort reissued on pink vinyl
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 09:27
LOL Everything tends to be reissued, David. The problem is how the merchants from the temple are going to make it. 
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 12:03

I think it is great that many albums are now being reissued on vinyl! I definitely prefer reissues over used records from the 70's as the latter invariably show signs of age. 

I think it is a mistake to see vinyl LP's and CD's as rivals. The two formats have different features and both add something of value to the other. LP's are, for example, much preferable from a visual standpoint. But CD's have their advantages as well. 

Emerson Lake & Palmer's discography is, for example, now being reissued simultaneously on both vinyl LP and CD and this reissue program is exactly how I think reissue programs should be! I have so far invested in Brain Salad Surgery and Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends on vinyl (the latter being a massive 3LP set). These look great and the artwork is fully restored (but I haven't listened to them, see them more as collectors items). 

Also, I plan to pick up the Yes catalogue on reissued vinyl.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - March 10 2017 at 12:18
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 12:13
I always look for the original vinyl in record stores or online....though I sometimes will buy a reissue...I did buy SFSorrow by The Pretty Things a while back as a reissue.
I agree that Discogs is a good place to look fro vinyl, etc.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 12:55

Résultat de recherche dimages pour "gramofon duck"

It's time for a thread (if it does not already exist) on vinyl reissues. I'm in love with Lps, again, but it's a strange love. Often I'm very disappointed. New discs are noisy, warped, full of pressing marks or sound awful compared to old and expensive editions. So ... 
Which ones are the best ? How to avoid a bad surprise ? Hope we could answer together to those questions.

My friend with the "big quakers".....You can also go on over to the Vinyl thread in Gen Music Discussion, there we do post a lot of records which are re-issued. Sometimes I also give my opinion of the quality of sound.
There is some risk as you stated, but for me that risk has been non-existent regarding sound quality. I do pay very close attention to who remastered or remixed the new issue, what pressing plant and also was it reissued from the original master tapes if this is a recording from say the 70's. Discogs will give very indepth info if you look. 

I am finding that from a pressing/mfg position Optimal Media GmbH, GZ Vinyl, Pallas UK, and some Dutch plants do amazing pressings and have excellent QC. In the US plants like RTI, QRP and some Columbia plants are doing excellent work also, but I for sure prefer what the UK/German plants are doing. 

I am not sure I have a reissue that sounds awful, unless I find out that all they did was a pressing from a CD file, that does not happen much. What tends to happen is the mastering work is not done well and you end up with a record that sounds lifeless and dull......That's the fault of the engineer.

We are here to help........
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 17:38
I haven't but any vinyl in many years, they don't really match up to the originals, I least to my taste.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 00:05
Thanks guys. Thumbs Up

In the light of Experience, the Music on vinyl reissues (MOV) are pretty good. The Miles Davis are terrific ! 

Last summer ,I bought the Rhino edition of Close to the Edge in Montreal. (very cheap)

https://www.discogs.com/Yes-Close-To-The-Edge/release/4070858

Everything was fine until Mister Wakeman enters with its huge organic organ and that the sound explodes in distortion.

Any suggestion of a better recording ? 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 12:23

Thanks guys. Thumbs Up

In the light of Experience, the Music on vinyl reissues (MOV) are pretty good. The Miles Davis are terrific ! 

Last summer ,I bought the Rhino edition of Close to the Edge in Montreal. (very cheap)

https://www.discogs.com/Yes-Close-To-The-Edge/release/4070858

Everything was fine until Mister Wakeman enters with its huge organic organ and that the sound explodes in distortion.

Any suggestion of a better recording ? 

I have the Friday Music release, which is a 1/2 speed remaster by Joe Reagoso and think it is a much improve over the original Atlantic 1972 release I have.
That organ slam is tough to tame, it lives on the master tapes and it is what it is...You can try and minimize it by playing with VTF or anti skate settings, but why bother for just one song passage that was cut hot originally.
You want a better issue, not recording, that is set in stone from 1972 Smile.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 16:18
Hmmm....I just finished spinning CTTE Side 1, I don't get any distortion on the organ slam. I just read your Discogs entry, seems someone identified what you say, could be it is in the mastering by Rhino. Although Bernie Grundman Mastering cut the lacquer, so this is surprising, they are top notch!!

Although, the recent reissue of LZ Houses/Holy is horridly cut hot! Serious distortion in one channel, apparently this is only on the Pallas US version, the Pallas UK is good...  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 01:36
Thanks man !  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply