Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost overrated/overhyped prog album(s)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 14:28
^ "...John Lennon to be one of the greatest Rhythm guitarists of all time". You really should seek medical attention for this claim LOL.

He is not listed by Guitar Player Magazine.

Nor should he be.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 04:00
Moving Pictures easily because that album barely touches PROG!
And every album by Pink Floyd, because they are not prog to me. Great albums, they are not overrated in terms of music quality but they barely have to do with prog rock and they are rated pretty high on Top 100 PROG rock albums on PA. 

Edited by TexasKing - March 22 2017 at 04:09
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 09:02
I disagree!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 10:18
Originally posted by Harmonicbliss Harmonicbliss wrote:

i actually know quite a few musicians that wanted to play drums like Ringo- because he played FOR the song, and what the song needed.
I also know many people that consider John Lennon to be one of the greatest Rhythm guitarists of all time.
Lets not even start with George Harrison whose slide playing was emulated and delicate phrases appreciated by many fellow musicians and rock critics.

Musicianship is not all about who can shred the fastest or bang on the drums with the most paradiddles in succession. It is about what is right for the song. This is something the beatles did to perfection.

Agreed and well said. That's why i don't buy the Beatles weren't good argument because they didn't have the chops that some people think they needed to have. 
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 11:30
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

Over rated for me is when an album is praised mostly because nobody understand what's going on in it. Making music complex for the sake of it sucks. For my taste and understanding albums like King Crimson's Red or Lark's Tongues in Aspic fall in that category. 

Why? I mean you're not the first person I've heard here that has said that or something to that effect. I just don't understand why. Is this some kind of reverse snobbery/elitism? Of all people, prog fans are supposed to like complexity, right?

And please don't say it's because it's self indulgent. All music, and all art really, is self indulgent. 

I agree with the guy, there's no point in having complex music if you don't have the songwriting skills to make it work. Somebody has to say it at some point, King Crimson were not good songwriters for the most part. I love Starless and Bible Black, because that album is where there was some better songwriting. The songs overall had more cohesion, as well as rarely being longer than they needed to be. Each instrument got to shine as well, with "We'll Let You Know" being one of the greatest instrumentals of all time imo.

Unfortunately, apart from a few songs scattered through their discography, they never got even close to that again.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 12:27
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Over rated for me is when an album is praised mostly because nobody understand what's going on in it. Making music complex for the sake of it sucks. For my taste and understanding albums like King Crimson's Red or Lark's Tongues in Aspic fall in that category. 

Why? I mean you're not the first person I've heard here that has said that or something to that effect. I just don't understand why. Is this some kind of reverse snobbery/elitism? Of all people, prog fans are supposed to like complexity, right?

And please don't say it's because it's self indulgent. All music, and all art really, is self indulgent. 

I agree with the guy, there's no point in having complex music if you don't have the songwriting skills to make it work. Somebody has to say it at some point, King Crimson were not good songwriters for the most part. I love Starless and Bible Black, because that album is where there was some better songwriting. The songs overall had more cohesion, as well as rarely being longer than they needed to be. Each instrument got to shine as well, with "We'll Let You Know" being one of the greatest instrumentals of all time imo.

Unfortunately, apart from a few songs scattered through their discography, they never got even close to that again.

But who's to say it  what does or doesn't work? What you think doesn't work, I might say works spectacularly. I listened to the song Free Form Guitar on Chicago's first album. It just sounds like noise to me. To others, it's art and it works. 
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 12:36

Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

But who's to say it  what does or doesn't work? What you think doesn't work, I might say works spectacularly. I listened to the song Free Form Guitar on Chicago's first album. It just sounds like noise to me. To others, it's art and it works. 

True, whether something works or not is completely subjective, but songwriting skills are objective just like complexity. I can't deny that the members of King Crimson could pull off technical and complex musicianship, just as I can't deny that The Beatles were great songwriters, while also thinking both bands are incredibly overrated and not being much of a fan of either band.

Edited by Pastmaster - March 22 2017 at 12:37
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 13:09
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Half of the PA Top 100

LOL

Well.....I have always felt that VDGG was overrated........and also Mike Oldfield; I simply don't understand all the love for his music which seems simplistic and uninspired imho.

Please feel free to throw stones  as I hide behind my steel wall.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 13:32
I hope your steel wall is pretty strong, Doc. I agree with you and throw in the entire Canterbury Scene. Shocked

LOL

Edited by SteveG - March 22 2017 at 13:33
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 14:34
Plot Twist: Every prog artist, album, and song is overrated. It's all a charade, folks. Time to move on. I'll see you all at the reggae forum. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 15:28
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Half of the PA Top 100

LOL

Well.....I have always felt that VDGG was overrated........and also Mike Oldfield; I simply don't understand all the love for his music which seems simplistic and uninspired imho.

Please feel free to throw stones  as I hide behind my steel wall.
Wink

Me2....After Tubular Bells, pretty much what he did was just a rehash of Tubular Bells over-and-over-and-over...LOL

I'll also throw in everyone's beloved Magma. I can agree there is something ok there but not THAT good Ermm

fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 07:58
Absolute agreement. In the art of music what is not played sometimes is the most telling. 
Long live Progresive music!
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 09:39
What irks me is that anytime King Crimson is played on a top 40 FM classic rock station they play something from this. I can't remember the last time that I threw it on the turntable. I put it in the category of ruined by radio. Also Roundabout. That's all that you hear by Yes on FM top forty radio and then the DJs act as if they they have uncovered am  "obscure lost classic" from the vaults.

Image result for in the court of the crimson king

Edited by Kepler62 - March 23 2017 at 09:41
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 15:58
Do you mean music I don't like that lots of other people seem to like?
Brentford Griffin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 14:20
Pink Floyd are one of my favourite bands but the Wall has to be one of the most overhyped albums of all time
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 14:36
^More like over-liked.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 15:08
Rush and Most of all Symphonic/Prog Metal albums...
Swandezvous View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 13:53
Overrated/overhyped: it's all in the eye of the beholder..... Or ear...
Mystic Mamba View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 22:46
I know many would disagree with me, but I have to go with The Wall. Yes, it's a concept album with some deep messages, but it seems like Pink Floyd were restraining themselves far too much. They could've gone crazy with it (like Yes and Jethro Tull did with TFTO and A Passion Play, respectively), but instead they went for simple, radio friendly songs. Repeated listens have proven it to be my least favorite Pink Floyd album. I'll stick with Meddle and Animals, thanks.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 03:10
I don't take much heed from what other people think about any single album and I can recognise hype well enough to disregard it for what it is. Nor am I swayed by the notion that something's value or worth is diminished by overplaying on the radio (or on the turntable) - 'familiarity breeds contempt' is only true when such familiarity reveals the hidden bad qualities that can only be discovered on closer examination - with music that suggests you never really listened to it in the first place. Music that takes time to appreciate is not the opposite of music that takes time to dislike. Kicking down an album that many people enjoy listening to is a cruel but delicious sport and one I reserve solely for bullcrap that is said about the composition of Close to the Edge but not for the album itself (which I actually enjoy listening to from time to time, not as much as Relayer... or even TFTO perhaps).
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>